AWESOME moment from the KSR pregame show

We knew we were in for a special show when John Short surprised us at the Lexington Convention Center, but we had no idea how special it would end up being.  Ryan Lemond and I had John join us on air to discuss the 1978 team reunion, and John raved and raved about Jack “Goose” Givens and how Givens is his all-time favorite UK player.  You could really feel John’s excitement as he talked about wanting to go upstairs to meet his hero for the first time.

But John didn’t have to go far to meet Givens.  He didn’t even have to take his headset off.  The Goose showed up while we were on air and the two met for the first time with a couple hundred people gathered around watching and even more listening on the radio.  It was a truly special moment, and the first time I think John Short has ever been speechless.

Givens even said he’s a long time listener of John Short’s calls and asked how many “biggins” John predicts UK to win by today.  This is what Kentucky basketball is all about…

I was too busy fighting off the goosebumps to get a picture of their first interaction but I managed to capture this one while Jack was on air.

Article written by Drew Franklin

30 Comments for AWESOME moment from the KSR pregame show

1. carl spackler
    3:26 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

Yes, indeedy…

2. here ya go
    3:37 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

So happy for John Short. Good things happen to good people, and John Short sure deserved that moment.

3. Uncle Jesse
    3:38 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

That’s awesome!!

4. leedee
    3:42 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

I don’t mean this as any disrespect, but who is John Short and what is his claim to fame? I may be the only person who doesn’t know him, but I bet he doesn’t know me, either.

5. CJ
    3:48 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

This is awesome! You guys are great Americans

6. minton
    3:51 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

The Goose is my all time favorite too and here’s why. About a year after the championship, when I was about 5, he came to my home town, Paintsville for something to do with the Special Olympics. My neighor worked for the Special Olympics and arranged for him to come to my house. He taught me how to shoot a free throw in my own driveway and we played etch-a-sketch in my living room. We went out to eat and he bought me a UK pic and autographed it. He was my childhood hero from then on. About 10 years later, I approached him after a game and he remembered everything. I was impressed he remembered. Some times it’s the little things that mean most. Any time I’m at a game and know he is there I try to find him to say hello. He seems like a regular, down to earth guy when you speak to him.

7. Rockinron
    3:52 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

I’m in CATlanta listening via iheart radio and got goosebumps. Good for Johnny Short!

8. LoyalKSRListener
    3:53 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

God love his heart! Yes indeedie.

9. jd
    3:53 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

4) He is one of the first people to call in to the call-in shows

10. Paducah Patty
    3:54 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

I wished I had heard. It gave me goosebumps just to hear about it. This is a prime example of the BBN and KSR family!

11. big cat 65
    4:03 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

Enjoy listening to your predictions John!!! You deserved that!!” Go big blue!!! Lets win by some BIGGINS!!!!

12. Rut
    4:07 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

No 4 Leedee : John Short is a UK sports savant – UK trivia and radio a big part of his life. Kudos ksr

13. Garrett
    5:12 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

John Short looks nothing like I imagined … no indeedy.

14. mexican chicken soup is epic
    5:14 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

Can we get a link to the audio? I’d love to hear it!

15. Jeff Garlin
    5:29 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

Will there be a podcast version of the pre-game?

16. Randy Barlow
    6:17 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

Gotta be a fantastic feeling for John Short. I still have that Sports Illustrated. What a great team and the Goose was Golden. I remember also, seeing him in the State Tournament.

17. leedee
    6:38 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

Thanks #4. I really didn’t know. Now I am fully educated.

18. Steve Atwell
    6:50 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

I enjoyed hearing Goose, James Lee, and Mike Phillips on the show yesterday, and was listening today when John met Goose. GREAT moment. Like so many others, the ’78 team holds a special place for me. The first time I saw UK in person was at Vandy in 1978 with my dad, who passed away 10 years ago this month.

19. bluebiscuit
    6:56 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

Ryan and Drew did a great job hosting the section of the show today in which John Short got to meet Jack Givens. It was great that John was asked to be a part of that section of the broadcast, and it led to him meeting his hero. It was a great radio segment.

20. KSR1080Fan
    6:58 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

Leedee and others not aware, if you locate Cawood Ledford’s last
    game you will hear John Short call-in on Cat Calls pre-game and
    talk to Cawood. I googled for a link but found nothing quickly.
    Seems like it was posted here on KSR once with a mention of John’s call.

21. Tom Blevins
    7:09 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

I remmber buying that issue of Sports Illustrated. i still have it today, safely sored in a mylar bag.

22. Cal Macy
    7:21 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

In re Duke, back then, most people like them.

Since coach K, floor slappin’ floppers; whinefestivalians.

23. backpack
    7:24 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

Hopefully I will be able to hear this somewhere I hardly ever miss a KSR pregame or post game but my parents were in town today. Hopefully I will hear this soon, so happy for John Short. He nailed the spread today as well good day for a great American.

24. Nashville Cat Mama
    8:09 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

Maybe you could replay this part of the pregame on Monday’s show?

25. matt
    8:32 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

My GOD I love being a Kentucky fan… Stuff like that… That’s about how I’d be if I’d meet Kyle Macy or MKG

26. Kentucky's 8th
    8:44 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

WOW!!! I’m so happy for John Short! The most loyal listener and caller to the ksr radio show with Matt and Ryan. John loves BIG BLUE BASKETBALL and knows everything there is to know about Kentucky Sports Trivia. Hey now, he loves to watch the Kentucky women too. Thank you John for being a great american. GO BIG BLUE!

27. Kentucky's 8th
    8:47 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky Basketball is the gold standard in todays college basketball! Learn to like it.

28. Adolph Biologist
    9:28 pm February 9, 2013 Permalink

$ h i t ebbs….. & flows . don’t get your panties in a wad.

29. indiana tom
    6:57 am February 10, 2013 Permalink

Fantastic, I agree with #24.

30. jack b