Atlantic Sun Conference Championship Preview

Throughout conference championship week, KSR College writers will be previewing each conference tournament finals game to bring you the latest information on who’s secured a bid to the NCAA tournament. Here’s Dean Bowling to kick things off.

atlantic

While many teams are still focusing on closing out their regular seasons, several conferences have already begun/are concluding their conference tournaments. For the vast majority of smaller universities, winning their conference tournament is the only way to punch a ticket to the Big Dance. That brings us to the Atlantic Sun conference. Heading into the tournament two teams were tied for first,  Mercer and Florida Gulf Coast, each having a record of 21-10 and facing off at noon today. Now, after a week of thrilling A-Sun men’s basketball action, only those two teams remain. Two teams enter, only one team leaves(for the NCAA tournament). Who will it be? Let’s break it down…

Mercer

mercer

Record: 23-10

RPI: 132

BPI: 116

Impressive Wins: Alabama (If you consider that impressive)

Impact Player: Travis Smith

Tournament Games So Far: (#1 Mercer 82, #8 Lipscomb 48) (#1 Mercer 72, #5 USC Upstate 64)

Previous Tournament Bids: Two (1981, 1985)

Florida Gulf Coast

florida

Record: 23-10

RPI: 108

BPI: 147

Impressive Win: Miami

Impact Player: Sherwood Brown (A-Sun Player of the Year)

Tournament Games So Far: (#2 FGCU 73, #7 North Florida 63) (#2 FGCU 72, #3 Stetson 58)

Previous Tournament Bids: None

Prediction:

Since both of the teams are in the same conference (which is usually the case during conference tournaments), the teams have already played each other twice during the regular season. The first match-up saw Mercer as the victor in a double-overtime thriller , which was played at Mercer. The second match-up was yet another barn burner in which Florida Gulf Coast came out victorious with a final score of 60-57.  I feel confident that Florida Gulf Coast will come out with this one. While each team has shown that they can beat the other, it seems as though FGCU has the XFactor: Sherwood Brown. Despite the fact that I can’t figure out whether he’s the same person as this up and coming R&B singer, the senior has been leading his team on an impressive run, scoring 18 points with 7 rebounds in his most recent game. Mercer struggled for the majority of the game against USC Upstate while FGCU gave Stetson a pounding they won’t soon forget. It seems as though Florida Gulf Coast is on top of their game right now and, despite what Kenpom thinks, they’ll use that momentum to claim the Atlantic Sun’s automatic bid. tournament bracket

You can follow me on twitter @DeanBowlingKSR

Article written by Kristen Geil

9 Comments for Atlantic Sun Conference Championship Preview

1. Kevbov
    8:29 am March 9, 2013 Permalink

FGCU also has a former UK grad as assistant coach, Michael Fly. Make sure to cheer them on!

2. kentuckyrules
    8:35 am March 9, 2013 Permalink

FGCU right up the road from me in good ‘ol Ft. Myers!! I remember going to a game a couple seasons ago, when they were horrible (every year except this one) and Eagles were down big time to Kennesaw St. They came back, and in the end, made it a close game to end up winning! It was actually a good experience for me and my boys, only costing me like 8 dollars a ticket (and I got a hotdog!)

3. Eric K
    8:53 am March 9, 2013 Permalink

Who cares about a preview of the Atlantic Sun Conference? Biggest game of the year is a little over three hours away, and this is all you got to talk about? GO CATS!!

4. GBB
    9:19 am March 9, 2013 Permalink

Mercer Impressive Wins: Alabama (If you consider that impressive) – Why knock this team for doing something we couldn’t accomplish?

5. CATandMONKEY
    9:21 am March 9, 2013 Permalink

Eric, it is ok. I suspect some of KSR’s heavy hitters will be opining regarding the hopeful reptile slaughter later today. Totally agree with your final sentiment. GO CATS!!

Dean – fine summary and a NICE Thunderdome reference. I’ll take FGCU in the win.

6. Winandadvance
    9:21 am March 9, 2013 Permalink

Alabama is impressive given they beat our ass. Well on second thought..

7. AFBlue
    9:48 am March 9, 2013 Permalink

I was at both games yesterday and watched most of the A-Sun this week. I’ll just say that Mercer plays much better team basketball and will win today. FGCU doesn’t play team ball and the Brown kid is their only good player however Mercer has at least three different go to guys. The tournament is played at Mercer and the place will be packed and loud. Mercer by at least five points.

8. maconvolfan
    9:59 am March 9, 2013 Permalink

As my name suggests, I live in Macon, home of Mercer. I’ve seen them play plenty this year, and I’m sad I won’t be at the finals at noon today. A factor that someone unfamiliar with the A-Sun/Mercer might miss is that this tournament is being held here in Macon, in Mercer’s home gym–a gym that Mercer has not lost in since LAST season. That’s the REAL X factor, not some FGCU player.

Go Bears!

9. Color Me Blue
    11:25 am March 9, 2013 Permalink

I now know that there is an Atlantic Sun Conference. Now I just have to figure out what KSR College is.