Associated Press releases postseason SEC awards

terrence-jones-sec-tournament

Choosing to go the opposite route of the folks at Yahoo! and Fox, the AP decided to wait until after people were finished caring about conference awards to release theirs. Still, it’s worth noting that the Cats were a part of the recognition.

Terrence Jones was named Freshman of the Year by the AP, and joined Chandler Parsons, John Jenkins, Jamychal Green and Chris Warren on the first team. Parsons was the Player of the Year and Billy Donovan, for reasons that still baffle me, was named Coach of the Year by yet another media outlet. Meanwhile, Brandon Knight was named to the second-team all-conference squad, along with Trey Thompkins, Tony Mitchell, Erving Walker and Scotty Smallballs. There’s still a little too much Florida for my liking, but congrats to Terrence Jones on taking home another Frosh of the year honor, even if Knight being placed on the second team is a load of bull. Maybe, though, after the first weekend is over and Kentucky is heading to Newark while Florida’s heads hang from a second-round loss to an awful Michigan State team, folks will figure it all out. I doubt it.

And yes, for those of you who will skip the entire post to tell me that this news came out last week, it should probably be pointed out that these are different than the awards that the SEC hands out for itself, which were posted here about a week ago. You’re welcome.

Go Big Blue.

Article written by Hunter Campbell

I used to write here.

20 Comments for Associated Press releases postseason SEC awards

1. me
    4:15 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Where did the CBS post go?

2. Bayoucat
    4:25 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Brandon Knight is the most underrated player in college basketball. I have a feeling that after the second weekend, folks will indeed sing a different tune.

3. UKChillFan
    4:25 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Posted on another page that no one has done a coaching job like Coach Cal has done this year. Entirely new team etc.

4. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    4:25 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Tommy Turtleneck had taken down because Matt works for CBS. Amazing isn’t it?

5. ThatsAShame
    4:33 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

TJ be careful jumping with your legs crossed! You could twist an ankle.

6. bakert
    4:45 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

If you are baffled by The Billy winning COTY you must be curled in a fetal position in a dark room trying to understand Chandler Parsons as POTY. Dude is fourth on his own team in scoring yet is POTY? I think I may win it next year.

7. NBA league pass
    4:46 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

I would rather hear that the AP announced we’re a 2 or 3 seed in another bracket.

8. Triple J's
    4:52 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

http://triplejsmarchtomadness.blogspot.com/ Check out our own bracket. Every year we try to seed our own field. Did better than ESPN Lunardi. Just check out the date and time posted to know it was up before they announced. Only missed two teams. Check it out leave your thoughts

9. riley
    4:52 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Tubby Smith close to a deal with arkansas.. is there any truth behind it.

10. KentuckyHouse
    5:02 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

11. Pokey Chapman
    5:11 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

We need him on the floor but he is still only shooting 30% in his last 6 games. Maybe the committee was influenced by his out of conference schedule.

12. tsmithpage
    5:14 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

I am baffled by the media love for Jones, especially when compared to Knight. At least offensively, he’s a bull in a china shop and just throws the ball towards the goal with no real attempt to shoot, then pouts when he misses. He’s also a bit of a ballhog and more likely to try to shoot than pass when he gets the ball. He does play defense however. Still, freshman of the year over Knight? What am I missing here?

13. rich
    5:54 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

thank you bakert!!

ive been wondering why more people havent been saying something about Parsons for POTY. 11 and 7 gets player of the year, ridiculous. he’s not even the best player on his own team. Against kentucky yesterday he was being guarded by 6’4 Lamb and 6’6 Liggins and couldnt use his height advantage to put up more than 8 points. give me a break.

IMO, Jenkins is POTY and Knight is an obvious first teamer.

14. Incorrect
    6:12 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Knight should have been Freshman of the Year.

15. Jacocat
    6:18 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

If Tubby couldnt recruit at Ky what will he do at Arkansas? Looking for another job in 4 years is my guess.

16. Eky-ukfan
    6:58 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

I’m sure the AP was concerned bout Billy D. crying to them like he was the refs yesterday when the gaytors was getting blasted. Florida SUCKS!!!!!

17. Andrew
    7:13 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Florida is the most overrated team in the entire tournament. I cannot believe they are a #2 seed and am repulsed by Parsons and Donovan winning these personal awards. The state of Florida’s biggest contributions to society are crooked real estate deals, serial killers and strippers. I thought I could let it go, but the moment I go to fill out their side of the bracket I get incensed by their apparent cake walk to the final 4. Someone PLEASE tell me who you see them losing to and make me feel better. Seriously tell me.

18. Andrew
    7:17 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

What happened yesterday concerning Florida could have all been prevented if Knight had hit one of those shots in Gainesville!

19. comments?
    9:33 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

?

20. NBA league pass
    9:37 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

17) I have them losing to Pitt. But my bracket sucks and I’m already ready to throw it in the garbage.