Ashley Judd is not running for Senate

ASHLEY_JUDD_A_CAM_INTV

After tossing around the idea for a couple of months, Ashley Judd has decided she won’t run for Senate. She just announced the news with a series of tweets on Twitter:

After serious and thorough contemplation, I realize that my responsibilities & energy at this time need to be focused on my family. Regretfully, I am currently unable to consider a campaign for the Senate. I have spoken to so many Kentuckians over these last few months who expressed their desire for a fighter for the people & new leader. While that won’t be me at this time, I will continue to work as hard as I can to ensure the needs of Kentucky families are met by returning this Senate seat to whom it rightfully belongs: the people and their needs, dreams, and great potential. Thanks for even considering me as that person & know how much I love our Commonwealth. Thank you!

Will she go back to rooting against Louisville now?

Article written by Drew Franklin

105 Comments for Ashley Judd is not running for Senate

1. Chicago Chris
    5:23 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

She’s purty.

2. Rook
    5:26 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

I’d pee in her butt.

3. macsauce13
    5:28 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

1 and 2…You’re creepy.

Thank God she isn’t running. The people of KY don’t need a liberal lunatic like her.

4. Usefulijit
    5:29 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

But she can see Kentucky from her house

5. CATS
    5:30 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

#3… Ditto—Booo Hooo Love her, but not her politics

6. J
    5:31 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Yeah…a liberal wouldn’t properly represent our state…way too intelligent to lead a red state, she may actually introduce thought to politics here.

7. Lunatic Liberal
    5:31 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

@3, nor do we need someone that hates liberals and calls them names, like you. We need someone who helps EVERYONE

8. BigBlueFan
    5:32 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Matt Jones for Senate!

9. vator32nh
    5:33 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Louisville can keep her. We are done with her.

10. Mitch
    5:37 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

6)7) yeah thought…ban coal, increase taxes, more spending on entitlements, Affordable Health Care AKA Obamacare, …you dead beats.

11. MF
    5:38 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Thank God! She can leave her feministic liberal views to herself!

12. From Georgia
    5:39 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

We need a different celebrity representing our university. She is a lunatic and politics do not mix with sports. I had no idea she was so far off the deep end until the rumor started she may run for senate. Then I read some of her quotes and found out about the causes she supports. Very few are as extreme as Miss Judd. She will never be seen as someone to admire again. She burned that bridge.

13. I've Seen Ashley Naked
    5:40 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

I love that woman…….if she played her cards right, she could have her way with me.

14. Jb
    5:43 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Thank god she quit for now, the Democrats are getting excessive with the celebrity brigade and Mr and Mrs Obama prancing around like they are the freaking Kennedy’s. Will the Replubicans ever win another election with the mass amounts of welfare dependent and immigrant voters that are increasing every day. 47 million americans on food stamps. That’s not counting the number of money spent on abused disability and unemployment benefits.

15. Rook
    5:47 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

#3: If you ain’t peeing in butts you ain’t shit.

16. NostraDanis
    5:48 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

14) That may be one of the most ironic paragraphs I’ve ever read. I am amused; thank you.
    Now, if we could just get rid of those celebrity Democrats and get back to Reaganomics….

17. Shadow One Seven
    5:50 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

I remember her purple haired, class interrupting, protesting in the halls, crying to Mamma Judd when someone was “mean” to her self, from college. I wish she would continue to run so she would be exposed for the fraud she is.

18. gus
    5:50 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Leave well enough alone. Mitch McConnell is doing a wonderful job obstructing. I dont even mind him being a Louisville fan.

19. The Truth
    5:53 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

16) seriously! You dare try to compare Reagan to Obama??? Please. I would say back to work….but I’m sure you don’t.

20. harlanhick
    5:55 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Good. Her idiotic views and elitist attitude sicken me.

21. Red Jacket 76
    5:59 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

19 – don’t bother. Seriously, liberals are seriously flawed as they can never be intellectually honest. The whole world is going to shit but I guess we avoided the “war on women!” Liberals are, as Lenin so eloquently termed them, useful idiots.

22. BOURBON TOWN CAT FAN
    6:00 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Wish she was running, talk about an easy victory. Phil Moffett for McConnell’s seat !

23. NostraDanis
    6:01 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

19) I’ll type slowly so you can follow;
    you see, I was spoofing the call for fewer “Democrat celebrities” by reminding those who could follow along that the modern Republican standard-bearer – actor Ronald Reagan – was, in fact, a “celebrity” long before he was a politician.
    Its kinda complicated, sorry.

24. Jb knows how to fix everything!
    6:03 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Jb, OK, fine – let’s just cut entitlements – do away with welfare, get rid of social security, and sh!tcan disability and unemployment. I’m sure all the repubs would be tickled pink then. So, what happens to the economy when all of those people suddenly don’t have any money to spend on housing, groceries, gas, etc.? Oh, I get it – the orgy of spending by all of those wealthy republicans will pull us all through, since their tax rates will drop now that they don’t have to support “that 47%”.

Better plan on spending some of those tax savings on the new prisons and law enforcement for the crime wave that will follow closely behind.

25. jhnny
    6:12 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

#23 I doubt that worked.

26. Ashley
    6:15 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

So Ashley finally figured out that doing nothing to contribute to society in a meaningful way (other than playing dress up, protesting and living each day in La La Land) did not qualify her to become a Senator.

27. capt
    6:18 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Thank God. Can’t stand gun hating liberals.

28. Mark Twain
    6:19 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

“Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason.”

29. GoCats
    6:23 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

24) I think you just proved the point on why government assisted programs are the problem. Ppl become DEPENDENT on them then all of a sudden our government can’t afford them so they take on more debt, get downgraded, etc sound familiar?

30. Loser Democraps
    6:24 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, just what we need another celebrity that doesn’t even live in the state pushing more liberal agenda…

31. Reagan
    6:25 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

23) Thank you thats much better. For whatever reason, I still can’t seem to read as fast as you type.

32. UKBlue
    6:25 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Thank God the National & KY Dem party came to their senses & put a stop to this stupidity.

33. lambinated
    6:27 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Ms. Judd is way too educated and logical to be able to accurately represent the ignorant, bigoted, Fox-News-quote-regurgitating mess of a constituency that we have here in the good ole KY.

34. mlvei
    6:27 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Ashley is too intelligent for this state. Rand is more our speed.

35. Mark Twain
    6:31 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

26, “Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.”

36. AR-15
    6:32 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

@Lunatic Liberal # 7 – what we do NOT need is some stupid [email protected] like you who hates guns, liberty and freedom and thinks that living under a socialist, zionist, imperial leader is a good thing.
    can’t wait for YOUR leader, not mine, is impeached. F*ck obama.

37. markp
    6:40 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Rand attended medical school at Duke University. 34 his IQ is way higher than any of us blogging here. Don’t kid yourself. Ashley needs to stay in her little artistic world and leave logic to those who have it.

38. lolol
    6:40 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

I think the best part of #36’s post is that mixed in with his inane rambling he actually described the GWB administration pretty well. Hates liberty and freedom? Check (patriot act). Zionist? Check (most pro-Israel president in a couple of decades) Imperial? Check (invaded at least two sovereign countries and established US presence there)

39. kentuckyglenn
    6:40 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

THANK GOD ALMIGHTY!!!!

40. 8generationsblue
    6:42 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Great. She is a fake Kentuckian and lord knows we don’t need another liberal in Congress

41. OldManYellsatCloud
    6:43 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Go ahead everybody. Fight amongst yourselves using your buzzwords and halft truths while the people in power point and laugh because they have you right where they want. You people make me sick.

42. UK13/14
    6:48 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

She is smarter than I may of thought. No way could she upset Mitch like Robert Morris did UK. A liberal doesn’t have a chance in the race for Senator in this state for now or near future Thank God!!!!! Good UK fan though. I like her acting also. Go Mitch!!!

43. Freethrow
    6:49 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Perfectly said, #6.

44. CalifCatFan
    6:50 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Praise Allah!!! Ashley is not running!!! She would have lost anyway.

45. Mack
    6:51 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

She would look really good in red or does she need a half blue and a half red outfit.

46. UNC Jacket
    6:53 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

She would not wear me if she wuz freezing to death….. but she will root for the Dirty Birds? Hopefully she just had a brain freeze

47. Steve
    6:55 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

22 is right. I think the comments on KSR woke Ashley up and if she couldn’t win a poll on KSR she sure as hell ain’t winning a seat in the Senate from a state that voted 61 to 39 against her best buddy Barry O.

48. NJ Powerball Winner
    6:56 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

F the World. I’m Rich, Female Dogs. (I paraphrase)

49. Mbs
    6:58 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

That’s what we DON’T need is some Hollywood elitist pushing her liberal ideas on us and say its for the good of Kentucky. We already have 1 idiot, that being John Yarmouth.

50. tennessee wildcat
    7:00 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

That means alluding grimes will be running instead. She has an excellent chance to make it a tough campaign against the turtle.

51. UKDMD
    7:01 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Good. Stay in Tennessee and keep rooting for louisville. I dont care what you do, so long as you keep your liberal ideas out of our state.

#6, dont like it? Move up north.

52. whodat
    7:02 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

In other words….. I have spent $100,000 on a poll and realize I dont have an ice cubes chance in hell of winning.

53. I am only happy
    7:05 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Judd is not running because i don’t vote.

54. Amberbock
    7:16 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Lol… republicans have the IQ of rocks, democrats have no morals. Back and forth, wash rinse repeat. Spout your politics somewhere else please.

55. wildcat
    7:24 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

she’ll be on dancing with the stars next season

56. BravoBigBlue
    7:24 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Good. Now she can go back being a mediocre actress in mediocre movies showing her mediocre tatas. Or she could go join her water buffalo sister on DWTS.

57. UK_Gr8ness
    7:24 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

All this back and forth is quite entertaining! It gives a pretty good insight to what everyone’s “Momma and Daddy” believe because I’d bet over 75% posting base their opinions on, “my daddy says”!!! Do your own research, quit listening to “Momma and Daddy” and quit watching MSNBC, FOX, HLN, CNN, etc. Get the answers for yourself, it is public record… quit relying on everyone else to fill your head with their views and create your own!!!

58. unreconstructed
    7:37 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Good!! Another liberal actor actually “knowing” politics is a very dangerous thing.

59. AR-15
    7:42 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

@lolol #38, i’m not a “GWB” fanboi you idiot. he was a loser as well. but your leader is even a much larger loser than he is. i’m not surprised that you don’t see this though. none of you liberal idiots ever do. you just wait until it bites you in the ass and say, “well that’s ok, i can live with that.” you don’t care about freedom. you only care about yourselves and the freedom you think that you have, no matter how diminished it becomes . the rest of us actually care about freedom and liberty. and we are armed and ready to fight the idiots such as yourself. you’ve probably not even batted an eye at anything your socialist ruler has lied to you about and signed into law. i doubt you’ve ever even heard of the NDAA act signed while you were asleep in secrecy and bypassing congress on just about everything he’s ever done. Obummer is a complete piece of sh*t foreign born waste of human DNA. mark it down. wait Matt, wait Matt…..the original “LouisvilleFanCraig” <– see how i didn't put spaces in front of that ? : ) f*ck all liberals.

60. AntiJudd
    7:43 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

She couldnt find a house in KY big enough to fit her ego, let Tenn keep her a$$ down there but even thats too close…

61. Letcher County
    7:50 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

The only person happy about this is McConnell.

62. Lexington native
    7:53 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Those of us who knew her at Sayre (and UK) as Ashley Cimenella miss the girl that once had her head on halfway straight. She would have been the easiest target ever for Mitch to eviserate. She must be out of her mind to think, after her pandering comments about Louisville, that she could carry the whole state. What an idiot.

63. Dicksucksmitch
    7:53 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Hey ditto heads, how that conservationism working for you? Neo-con chicken hawks invade a county that will cost tax payers trillions and don’t have money or support for returning veterans like Thomas Young. Give Israel $8,500,000,000.00 a day. Bail-out Wall Street bankers trillions plus,to save their multi-million dollar bonuses. Raise middle class tax hikes so the 1% can get some tax relief. After all in this economy they are hurting so bad, the price of jets even after the tax write-offs are outrageous. God forbid change, because when life long politicians and the status quo are through with your kind, the only thing you will have is your guns and religions. R.I.P. George Carlin.

64. Wildcatsteeler
    7:55 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Well, this is depressing. Guess she didn’t want the rightwing-hate-machine making up tons of BS about her. You’d have to be crazy to get involved in politics nowadays. Especially now with the wingnuts desperately trying to hold on to some power. Romney’s unbelievable, boldface lies set a new standard. And he’s just a moderate Republican. The teabaggers and other far, far rightwingnuts are downright scary. She’d have to surround herself with a huge security force just to be safe from the hate-filled redneck hicks in this state.

65. raekwon
    8:01 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

lol at this ky/ville blog who think ashy judd (that’s right. I called her
    ‘ashy’) is attractive. I guess you haven’t seen the high calibre of the women of Kentucky. But of course you didn’t. With your facials, bache elor updates and what-not. The sexy inner-bluegrass women especially. ha. Yeah, we’re doing fine. Don’t you have some movie stars wardrobe to critique?

66. Michele Bachmann
    8:10 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

YEA, Judd! If you Only had some Ethics about you!

67. AR-15
    8:13 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

@Dicksucksmitch #63, how’s losing your liberty and freedom working for ya there genius? have you even looked at what your pathetic zionist socialist ruler has given you? probably not. can’t wait until he’s impeached. it’s coming. your kind will be long gone very soon. Oh and how are those promises going before office that your ruler made for you? : ) yea, i’d love to hear you speak about that one. Guantanamo Bay? lol.. gonna close it right? nah, we’ll make it much better. so says your zionist socialist hitler like ruler. you’ve been lied to but you’re too arrogant and “elite thinking” to realize or acknowledge it. you’ve been fooled and it’s your own fault.

68. Ronkat
    8:15 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

She’s a waste of time!!!

69. ca
    8:29 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Just as well that she not run, She wouldn’t win and then she comes out and pulls for UL – that was icing on the cake for me. She is way too liberal for Kentucky – she was going to get destroyed in eastern Kentucky (because of the coal).

70. bluecat
    8:30 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

#24–So what is everyone going to do when the money runs out that funds those programs? Nothing is free my friend, even though socialist sympathizers will tell you it is. We are nearing $20 trillion in debt…… $20 freakin trillion and will be there by the time the Obama regime is supposed to end. That is unsustainable and the economy is going to collapse eventually. Those programs have a very useful purpose, but they need to be reformed and the goal should be to get people off welfare, not put more on it. And I won’t even get into the attack on gun owners, state run media, and the many other issues.

As far as Ashley goes…. I’m over her.

71. Jackie Moon
    8:35 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

33) & 64) well said!!!

72. Reality Check
    9:17 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Judd, Matt Jones and all liberals see nothing wrong with a man sticking his ding dong in another man’s [email protected] End of story, game over.

73. Blue moon
    9:21 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Always hate it when a celebrity I have enjoyed turns out to be a left winger, glad she has gone back to TN or the West coast.

74. Jc#1
    9:23 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Stick to making hockey posters ,your great at that.

75. AR-15
    9:25 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

@73 blue moon: i am as well. i used to respect her but now she is @ absolute ZERO. move to NY where you can represent people too stupid to even care. that’s what she is. hope i never see her in Kentucky blue again. fukk’n traitor she is to me. what a stupid c*nt.

76. Tinfoil Hat Club
    9:51 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Wow – “AR-15”, I hope they don’t allow you near any elementary schools. Whoops! What was that? Watch out, I think one of those black helicopters is hovering over your house!

I just knew this thread would bring out all the nutjobs. Quite entertaining!

77. BlueTexan
    10:02 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Guess the polls weren’t positive…however, yes – I’d hit it!

78. safety
    10:04 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

just because one is a liberal or conservative, does not mean they’d be a great politician. why would anyone say that someone’s political associations makes them good or bad at politics? i’m nervous for our country because of thoughts like that. i know many people that would agree with my politics that would make ridiculous politicians. that’s the basis of many of problems we are in as a country, we all just vote for the party we like, while not having much to any clue how good a person will be at their job. can we change the debate from an argument of political beliefs to finding someone bold enough to stand up and fix the obvious issues that will leave this country broke and without vision?

79. Hmm
    10:13 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Why is this even on KSR? Politics shouldn’t be on a sports blog. It’s funny everyone on here is a UK fan and would high five each other watching a game together, but then put each other down here. People have different views… Who cares?

Personally I think Chris Rock said it best. If you’re a liberal or a conservative on all issues then you’re not even thinking. EVERYONE should be liberal on some issues and conservative on others. If u can’t agree with that… Well then I guess we’ll root for our Cats and agree to disagree… End of story

80. BravoBigBlue
    10:19 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

79 – Chris Rock? You don’t really want to be taken seriously, do you?

81. Rich
    10:20 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

I will boo her every chance I get in Rupp. Go back to TN and screw up their state instead.

82. Hmm
    10:24 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

80, absolutely. I’m not saying I endorse the man for office, all I am saying is he made a comment during his stand-up routine that was basically if you are liberal or conservative on every issue and side with one party on every issue, you’re not thinking. You’re just thinking what others tell you to think.

83. Big Blue
    10:32 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Rats! I really thought she had a chance. She has the same qualifications as our president….

84. jaws2
    10:47 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Pretty easy statement to make when you figure out you have no chance in hell at winning. Can’t wait to see the next reception she gets in Rupp.

85. SCOT
    11:02 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

my family and i are from kentucly, but i would never admit that to anyone. i love kentucky basketball, but the fans are about as disgusting and vile as one could imagine. the whole state is mocked from coast to coast as being backward thinking and woefully ignorant. and the comments on this site make it painfully clear.

86. Chicago Chris
    11:20 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Indeed. Even the suggestion of running for senate brings out all this hatred. For crying out loud, people who have other views aren’t crazy. Why is it that some people have to see things so good and evil, black and white? Leave some room for nuance, some in-between, compromise. You are the same people that rail against all politicians but call anyone who disagrees with you a “lunatic.” You get the guvment you deserve.

Oh, and don’t group me saying she’s pretty in with #2. Jeez.

87. was at UK with Ashley
    11:21 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Darn I was really looking forward to Ashley’s campaign slogan, “More UK basketball players have been in me than the Final Four”

88. Chicago Chris
    11:22 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Wow, read a bit more. Never mind. You can’t argue with crazy people (with guns, esp).

89. davefromdagap
    11:25 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

This is a bummer because she would have beaten Mcdumbass hands diwn. Want to know whats wrong with the political system? Look no further than McConnel. He would vote against the cure for cancer if it came from a democrat. And Paul? Please. He’ nuttier than a squirrel turd. Never been a bigger Grand Stander. We sure can pick em.

90. Bluecat
    12:38 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

#57, was the wisest post in the entire thread, everyone should go
    back and read it. I agree, KSR needs
    to keep politics removed from a UK
    sports site.

91. Sgt Jimmy
    12:59 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

She would have been an embarassment to our state. Her only connection is ahe is a Cats fan. She lives in Tennessee for crying out loud.

92. ciggy
    1:32 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

I’m glad she isn’t running, she really had no chance at all. She would have been dragged through so much mud, Mitch is such a pro at running a campaign he would have wiped the floor with her.

Really good reason the senate needs term limits, I lean more towards his view than hers, but he’s just been in there way too damn long now.

93. skullanbonesdiss
    3:20 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

To the uninformed that spout off about social security that was solvent till the year 2056 if tax breaks to the 1% and no corporate taxes[see General Electric…one example]and the inflationary printing of worthless paper…….READ IT an WEAP!

A Letter from an Enraged Lady
    EMAIL | NA | Patty Meyers, WYO

I Think She Is Upset!

Alan Simpson, Senator from Wyoming , Co-Chair of Obama’s deficit commission, called senior citizens the Greediest Generation as he compared “Social Security” to a Milk Cow with 310 million teats. Here’s a response in a letter from PATTY MYERS in Wyoming … I think she is a little ticked off! She also tells it like it is!

“Hey Alan, let’s get a few things straight..

1. As a career politician, you have been on the public dole for FIFTY YEARS.

2. I have been paying Social Security taxes for 48 YEARS (since I was 15 years old. I am now 63).

3 My Social Security payments, and those of millions of other Americans, were safely tucked away in an interest bearing account for decades until you political pukes decided to raid the account and give OUR money to a bunch of zero ambition losers in return for votes, thus bankrupting the system and turning Social Security into a Ponzi scheme that would have made Bernie Madoff proud..

4. Recently, just like Lucy & Charlie Brown, you and your ilk pulled the proverbial football away from millions of American seniors nearing retirement and moved the goalposts for full retirement from age 65 to age 67. NOW, you and your shill commission are proposing to move the goalposts YET AGAIN.

5. I, and millions of other Americans, have been paying into Medicare from Day One, and now you morons propose to change the rules of the game. Why? Because you idiots mismanaged other parts of the economy to such an extent that you need to steal money from Medicare to pay the bills.

6. I, and millions of other Americans, have been paying income taxes our entire lives, and now you propose to increase our taxes yet again. Why? Because you incompetent bastards spent our money so profligately that you just kept on spending even after you ran out of money. Now, you come to the American taxpayers and say you need more to pay off YOUR debt.To add insult to injury, you label us “greedy” for calling “bullshit” on your incompetence. Well, Captain Bullshit, I have a few questions for YOU.

1. How much money have you earned from the American taxpayers during your pathetic 50-year political career?

2. At what age did you retire from your pathetic political career, and how much are you receiving in annual retirement benefits from the American taxpayers?

3. How much do you pay for YOUR government provided health insurance?

4. What cuts in YOUR retirement and healthcare benefits are you proposing in your disgusting deficit reduction proposal, or, as usual, have you exempted yourself and your political cronies?

It is you, Captain Bullshit, and your political co-conspirators called Congress who are the “greedy” ones. It is you and your fellow nutcases who have bankrupted America and stolen the American dream from millions of loyal, patriotic taxpayers. And for what? Votes. That’s right, sir. You and yours have bankrupted America for the sole purpose of advancing your pathetic political careers. You know it, we know it, and you know that we know it.

And you can take that to the bank, you miserable son of a bitch.

94. skullanbonesdiss
    3:32 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

The Truth will set you free!

Published on Monday, September 3, 2012 by Common Dreams
    The Real Welfare Problem: Government Giveaways to the Corporate 1%
    by John Atcheson

While Romney and Ryan lie about welfare (and just about everything else), and Obama and the Democrats demurely mumble objections, there is a real welfare horror story going on in America.

But it’s not about welfare queens vs hard working whites; its not about race or ethnic divisions; it’s not about any of the standard Republican bait and switch, divide and conquer BS.

It’s about handouts to the uber-rich and the corporations.

Bottom line: if you’re a Fortune 500 company or a member of the wealthiest 1%, you’re getting welfare, and a hell of a lot of it.

If you’re one of the dreaded entitlement crowd — which, if you include social security and Medicare, is the vast majority of the remaining 99% — you’re getting chicken feed, and the Republicans want to take even this meager sustenance away.

Let’s run the numbers.

Corporate Subsidies: We spend $59 billion on social welfare programs, but more than $92 billion on corporate subsidies. According to the Environmental Law Institute, fossil fuel industries alone get more than $70 billion in subsidies, with most going to the oil and gas sector. Yeah, we certainly can’t afford to deprive Exxon of its record profits just to give money to needy kids.

Sheltering Off-Shore Profits: Corporations are given $58 billion* a year in tax breaks for “deferred” taxes for off shore profits. Yep. Sure want to encourage US companies to hide profits off-shore. Can you say “job creators?”

Capital gains: Rich folks make the majority of their money in the form of dividends and capital gains, which are taxed at only 15%. This allows them to avoid some $59 billion in taxes per year.

Carried interest: Hedge fund managers avoid at least $2.1 billion in taxes a year. This sweet deal — not available to the ninety-nine percenters, by the way — lets hedge fund managers and other selected fat cats take what amounts to ordinary wages and have them taxed as if they were capital gains. So instead of being taxed at 35% (39.5% if we eliminate Bush’s tax cuts for the rich) it’s taxed at 15%. Ayn Rand would be proud. Thomas Jefferson, not so much. This amount — $2.1 billion — is roughly equivalent to the entire budget for the Administration on Aging. Wouldn’t want to deprive millionaire and billionaire hedge fund managers of their windfall just to help a lot of old geezers.

Bank Bailouts: Then there’s the $700 billion bank bailout — to rescue banks from problems they themselves created. Yes it got paid back; and yes, we had to do something. But the reason this money was little more than welfare was because the banks got to do what they wanted to with it. It could have come with strings — we could have insisted that they write down mortgages to market value or allowed refinancing at lower interest rates or longer amortization periods. We could even have given the money directly to stressed homeowners, instead of the banksters who caused the problem. Any of these approaches would have prevented defaults, slowed — or even reversed — the precipitous declines in real estate values, and given low and middle income consumers some ability to consume, which, at the end of the day is the real “job creator.” And we most certainly could have insisted that banks money loan out the money to small businesses and home buyers.

But we did nothing like that. Instead, we allowed the banks to play a high stakes game of pump-and-dump — complete with flash trading — with our money. Instead of loans designed to jump start the economy, we got risky investments underwritten with our tax money that paid off only the Wall Street elite.

Talk about welfare. Talk about your welfare kings and queens. It doesn’t get any more obscenely selfish and opportunistic than this.

$9 Trillion in Low and No Interest Loans from the Fed: And now for the mother of all welfare programs, how about $9 trillion loaned at below market rates — some of it as low as .5%. Here again, this money disappeared into the money vaults of the select few, rather than benefiting the common good.

And here again, we could have insisted that public money be used to serve the public good. But instead, it was given as white-collar welfare — a freeby to the real welfare kings and queens — the financial sector and the fat cats they serve.

To the extent conservatives acknowledge these facts, they justify it with a neo-Reaganomics logic that the wealthy and the corporations who receive this largess are the “job creators.”

But here’s the deal. As long as the middle class is in debt and feeling insecure, no company in its right mind will invest in expanding or any other type of job creation. Why on earth would they? If people aren’t buying your service or product now, how will making more of your product or expanding your capacity to provide your service make them do it? And Paris Hilton, Mitt Romney or Paul Ryan and other millionaires can only buy so many yachts; so many second, third, fourth or fifth homes. They simply don’t have the numbers to lead to an economic recovery.

The proof of this is in the numbers. Corporations are sitting on over $2 trillion in profits. What job creation is occurring is happening overseas in China, India and other low wage countries.

So the next time some conservative comes up to you praising the power of the free market and bemoaning the welfare state or our slide into socialism or some other mindless talking point, make a deal with them. Tell ‘em we’ll agree to cut welfare by 90%, but we get to decide whose welfare gets cut.

95. BBB
    7:05 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Go cards….right Ashley???
    1) and 2) you guys are nasty and need to be arrested…at least barred from public anything. Nasty nasty nasty….You hearin this Matt????? Its your site.
    Remember the guy a couple of weeks ago in here that was describing a sex act with a 13 year old?

96. BBB
    7:05 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

94) wanna buy a bridge?

97. playersfan
    7:32 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Word is that Democrat leaders she talked to in Washington did not want to support her, because Kentucky is considerably less liberal than she is.

98. DREWBLUE
    8:07 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Nice to see she wants to take care of her family. She’s going through a divorce and has NO children. Must be hard to take care of yourself with all that money she has.

99. eightisnotenough
    9:07 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Thank you, Jesus!

100. Yea
    9:22 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

It is easy to see why Kentuckians are seen as a bunch of backwards hicks.

101. bort
    10:30 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Let me translate her statement:

“After conducting extensive, state-wide polling, I have discovered that the Commonwealth of Kentucky will not vote for a liberal, pro-choice, anti-coal, anti-gun, anti-Christian, Hollywood dingbat.” But Ashley, seriously, you are nice to look at.

102. blackhawk509
    10:31 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Thank you skullandbonesdiss, its good to see someone else in the south to actually get information from reliable sources other than Fox, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC, WSJ, Clear Channel, New York Times and all the other commercial propagandists for the plutocracy. Hundreds of thousands of lives could have been saves if ppl would have listen to true journalist like: Chris Hedges (fired from New York Times after exposing Bush, Cheney in the Iraq lead up), Phil Donahue (fired from MSNBC also told the truth about the Iraq lead up), Dan Rather (fired from CBS for reporting W. AWOL status). The truth is always among us, we must take the time and use reasonable logic to know the truth. And Ashley, other than Obama (he is more like Bush for me), I love what you say, and I because history will be very kind to you. Rocky Anderson 2016.

103. Reality
    12:25 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

102) your an idiot. Phil Donahue is your hero! Your a conspiracy nut job, like Ventura!

104. blackhawk509
    1:17 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Reality..yes I’m an idiot..like Ventura I volunteer and went all go-ho before I had all the facts…but this is not about me, it’s about the the other idiots who want to come on here and attack Ashley Judd with prejudices about her positions concerning humanity. Most are either too lazy to research the truth, or find it safer to hate. However, if ppl would have taken the time to listen to the Phil Donahuees’ thousands of lives would have been saved. Every day 22 veterans commit suicides…enough B.S. If you are so patriotic see the movie “Body of War: Songs That Inspired an Iraq War Veteran” the Thomas Young story. Reality…I don’t hate you…all I ask is,went are we going to stop the insanity…replace hate with reason and compassion.

105. skullanbonesdiss
    3:00 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Staged programing and I mean PROGRAMING!

Who Owns The Media? The 6 Monolithic Corporations That Control Almost Everything We Watch, Hear And Read
    By Michael, on October 4th, 2010

Back in 1983, approximately 50 corporations controlled the vast majority of all news media in the United States. Today, ownership of the news media has been concentrated in the hands of just six incredibly powerful media corporations. These corporate behemoths control most of what we watch, hear and read every single day. They own television networks, cable channels, movie studios, newspapers, magazines, publishing houses, music labels and even many of our favorite websites. Sadly, most Americans don’t even stop to think about who is feeding them the endless hours of news and entertainment that they constantly ingest. Most Americans don’t really seem to care about who owns the media. But they should. The truth is that each of us is deeply influenced by the messages that are constantly being pounded into our heads by the mainstream media. The average American watches 153 hours of television a month. In fact, most Americans begin to feel physically uncomfortable if they go too long without watching or listening to something. Sadly, most Americans have become absolutely addicted to news and entertainment and the ownership of all that news and entertainment that we crave is being concentrated in fewer and fewer hands each year.

The six corporations that collectively control U.S. media today are Time Warner, Walt Disney, Viacom, Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp., CBS Corporation and NBC Universal. Together, the “big six” absolutely dominate news and entertainment in the United States. But even those areas of the media that the “big six” do not completely control are becoming increasingly concentrated. For example, Clear Channel now owns over 1000 radio stations across the United States. Companies like Google, Yahoo and Microsoft are increasingly dominating the Internet.

But it is the “big six” that are the biggest concerns. When you control what Americans watch, hear and read you gain a great deal of control over what they think. They don’t call it “programming” for nothing.

Back in 1983 it was bad enough that about 50 corporations dominated U.S. media. But since that time, power over the media has rapidly become concentrated in the hands of fewer and fewer people….

In 1983, fifty corporations dominated most of every mass medium and the biggest media merger in history was a $340 million deal. … [I]n 1987, the fifty companies had shrunk to twenty-nine. … [I]n 1990, the twenty-nine had shrunk to twenty three. … [I]n 1997, the biggest firms numbered ten and involved the $19 billion Disney-ABC deal, at the time the biggest media merger ever. … [In 2000] AOL Time Warner’s $350 billion merged corporation [was] more than 1,000 times larger [than the biggest deal of 1983].

–Ben H. Bagdikian, The Media Monopoly, Sixth Edition, (Beacon Press, 2000), pp. xx–xxi

Today, six colossal media giants tower over all the rest. Much of the information in the chart below comes from mediaowners.com. The chart below reveals only a small fraction of the media outlets that these six behemoths actually own….

Time Warner

Home Box Office (HBO)
    Time Inc.
    Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.
    Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
    CW Network (partial ownership)
    TMZ

Pixar Animation Studios
    Buena Vista Games
    Hyperion Books

Viacom

Paramount Pictures
    Paramount Home Entertainment
    Black Entertainment Television (BET)
    Comedy Central
    Country Music Television (CMT)
    Logo
    MTV
    MTV Canada
    MTV2
    Nick Magazine
    Nick at Nite
    Nick Jr.
    Nickelodeon
    Noggin
    Spike TV
    The Movie Channel
    TV Land
    VH1

News Corporation

Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
    Fox Television Stations

CBS News
    CBS Sports
    CBS Television Network
    CNET
    Showtime
    TV.com
    CBS Radio Inc. (130 stations)
    CBS Consumer Products
    CBS Outdoor
    CW Network (50% ownership)
    Infinity Broadcasting
    Simon & Schuster (Pocket Books, Scribner)
    Westwood One Radio Network

Telemundo
    USA Network
    Weather Channel
    Focus Features
    NBC Universal Television Distribution
    NBC Universal Television Studio
    Paxson Communications (partial ownership)
    Trio
    Universal Parks & Resorts
    Universal Pictures
    Universal Studio Home Video

These gigantic media corporations do not exist to objectively tell the truth to the American people. Rather, the primary purpose of their existence is to make money.

These gigantic media corporations are not going to do anything to threaten their relationships with their biggest advertisers (such as the largest pharmaceutical companies that literally spend billions on advertising), and one way or another these gigantic media corporations are always going to express the ideological viewpoints of their owners.

Fortunately, an increasing number of Americans are starting to wake up and are realizing that the mainstream media should not be trusted. According to a new poll just released by Gallup, the number of Americans that have little to no trust in the mainstream media (57%) is at an all-time high.

That is one reason why we have seen the alternative media experience such rapid growth over the past few years. The mainstream media has been losing credibility at a staggering rate, and Americans are starting to look elsewhere for the truth about what is really going on.

Do you think that anyone in the mainstream news would actually tell you that the Federal Reserve is bad for America or that we are facing a horrific derivatives bubble that could destroy the entire world financial system? Do you think that anyone in the mainstream media would actually tell you the truth about the deindustrialization of America or the truth about the voracious greed of Goldman Sachs?

Sure there are a few courageous reporters in the mainstream media that manage to slip a few stories past their corporate bosses from time to time, but in general there is a very clear understanding that there are simply certain things that you just do not say in the mainstream news.

But Americans are becoming increasingly hungry for the truth, and they are becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the dumbed down pablum that is passing as “hard hitting news” these days.