Arkansas Defeats Kentucky 73-60

Eighteen teams have entered Bud-Walton Arena in Fayetteville, Arkansas this year and seventeen of them have left with a loss including our beloved Kentucky Wildcats. The game, especially the second half, was nothing short of ugly as the Cats were out-efforted by the Razorbacks as they were on their way to committing 18 turnovers. Combine the turnovers with just 20 made field goals and you have the reason the Cats weren’t able to keep up. Kentucky was lead in scoring by Archie Goodwin as he played in front of his home state for the first time as a Wildcat. Goodwin finished with 14 but was just 4-9 from the charity stripe as he was constantly being berated by the Razorback fans.

The loss was miserable to watch but in the long run may not be too damaging to the Cats’ tourney chances. The game in Athens will matter much more than the loss tonight. Go Cats.

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

84 Comments for Arkansas Defeats Kentucky 73-60

1. Rhoda
    6:23 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Since when did hand-checking become good defense?

2. Carrico
    6:23 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

I hope Karl Towns was watching that & getting mentally ready for the trip to Fayetteville in 2015!

3. Ryanno
    6:24 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Tourney chances? Are u serious? We are done.

4. Yule
    6:25 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

In retrospect this was probably a good loss.

5. MrG
    6:25 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

These guys are losers. Wiltger has tiny little balls and not an ounce of courage.

6. We Hang Banners
    6:26 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Arkansas is no good. All that hoopla for nothing really. NIT bound. Enjoy New York in the spring Mike Anderson.

7. Mark
    6:27 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

…….are we sure that Julius passed the concussion tests???

8. doug
    6:28 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Face it. We are weak. Can;t stand it when things get tough. Hell the only one trying to fight back is Polsen.

9. Duffus
    6:28 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Please get on to 2013 season!!! Stoops go get Stein he can block those x-points–field goals–7ft with 30″ vertical leap!!!!!!!!!!

10. Bear
    6:28 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

This team can not keep it together, they absolutely folded under arkansas’s pressure and this wasn’t even a good Arkansas team. 18 turnovers is retarded uncle JuJu didnt score a bucket and Alex played like garbage this team should just forfeit the rest of the season cause they look like they don’t want to even be out there most the time

11. Truth
    6:28 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Hey 5, KW is a BG type recruit.

12. doug
    6:29 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

I have a feelijng we may meet again. In the NIT!!!!

13. Mc
    6:29 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

It’s simple. You let a team hand check and hold all game and it will create turnovers. You can’t randomly call it with five minutes to go. You call it early, and it stops. Still need to respond by playing tougher. Sometimes hammering someone sends a message. Or taking a t early over the holding. Awful to watch.

14. Jus sayin
    6:29 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

They blewout Florida here too. Season not over take care of UGA and win a game in the tourney and I think we are in.

15. Real talk
    6:30 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

They suck. It’s just that simple

16. DB11
    6:30 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Refs. Refs. Refs. Wait, why did we lose? (Refs)

17. doug
    6:30 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

I hear we are 4/1 favorites in the NIT…

18. RealCatsFan
    6:30 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Not surprised at all by this loss. This team just doesn’t play well on the road – they get rattled when a team plays with pressure defense and feeds off the energy of their home crowd. This loss looks a lot like the losses at ND, UF, UT, Bama, etc. Sadly, I wouldn’t be surprised if a similar scenario presents itself at UGA – these teams smell blood in the water and are looking for redemption after we dominated them last year.

Harrow, Wiltjer, et. al., need to nut-up and stop shrinking away during road games. We need to be WAY more aggressive on defense. I still haven’t given up on them making the tourney, but at this point that is about all I can see this team accomplishing.

19. Kelkat
    6:30 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

#1….I agree completely…. I was texting my buddy during the game and bitching about the hand checking!!!!!!!! I thought they made it a point of emphasis to put and end to that a few years ago! I have never seen so much hand checking!!!!

20. JBR
    6:31 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Remember, you can’t say anything bad about our team, or Matt will tell you that you are not a REAL fan…and then he goes on to make comments like “We won it all last year, and we are going to win it all next year”…which sounds a lot like giving up to me. I wonder if he uses this logic in this court cases?

This team has zero heart and almost zero basketball IQ. Matt will tell you that Poythress will come around, and how great he is…and wait for it…he has a 4.0 GPA. He may have that GPA, but when it comes to his basketball IQ, he takes the short bus to school. This team sucks, they have no pride and no heart. It is one thing to have a down year…that happens…but to play at this level with really good talent, and to have no heart or effort is inexcusable. THAT, Matt Jones, is why people do not like this team.

21. TheProfessor
    6:31 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

This is not a repeat of the Harrellson, Knight, Liggins, & Co. team. We are in trouble. Georgia is a question mark, and the Florida game is a loss. We also have no chance in the SEC tourney. NIT bound!!

22. Kelkat
    6:31 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Is hand checking legal now in college basketball???? Was there a rule change?????

23. Bud Walton
    6:32 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

#8…Polson is terrible..period!!! That kid would do good to play at Transy.

24. RealCatsFan
    6:33 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

I agree with others that there were a lot of uncalled fouls, but that is just the nature of the game. That’s apparently what the NCAA and the ref’s want the game to look like. We need to adapt and play similarly – grow a sack and play aggressive.

25. Mc
    6:33 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

When I played I was told every time someone hand checks me, I should slap their hand to bring attention to it, and to almost start a fight. Granted Doug shows would have called a foul on me, but it still brought negative attention to what was happening.

26. Arkansas Fan
    6:33 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Have fun in the NIT Archie. Hope the money grab was worth it.

27. SadCat
    6:33 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Ryan Harrow was a 5 star recruit in 2010,
    ranked higher than Doron Lamb, per Scout.

28. WCS
    6:33 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

I want to say sorry to all the people who I called fake fans a few weeks ago. I have now realized we are just fake players.

29. UK3K
    6:35 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

When Pratt is spending 75% of his color commentary on just how bad the officiating is there’s usually something wrong.

That said officiating is no excuse for weak play.

30. ddub
    6:36 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Wow…most of you are the most NEGATIVE people I’ve ever seen…it’s just basketball so don’t have to attack teenagers while sitting in the comfort of your computer desk….last time I checked season wasn’t over and that most people respond better to POSITIVITY!!!

31. Get real
    6:36 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Jarrod Polson should start & play the majority of the minutes. Get real. Officiating was really bad but did you expect anything less. Harrow stinks.

32. RealCatsFan
    6:37 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

I still haven’t written off the Florida game. If the crowd is into it, that seems to give this team the energy they need to compete. The problem is that we play a bunch of freshmen and this year they are playing like freshmen. Cal needs to pull a Roy Williams and talk a few of these kids into hanging around for more than one year.

33. Kelkat
    6:38 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

There were so many bad calls…

Razorhacks got alway with continually hand checking UK players…aggressive hand checking at that…

Polson charge in 1st half??? Seriously????

Wilter gets grabbed by the wrist and pulled down and they call foul on Wiltjer??? Seriously???

Several drives UK players made to the basket and they are getting hacked all the way….I could go on and on…

I really don’t complain about officials much but that worthy of a protest or at least some sort of review…

34. shot
    6:38 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

this is the 1St time in my UK fanhood, that I turned the channel. At the 2:30 mark, or so, I had enough of the coaching and player stupidNESS. NIT, win 1 game, if we get home game! we do not deserve NCAA bid. And I hope with all my UK fanhood, that I eat my words. I hope we get 2 games in NCAA.

35. The Truth
    6:39 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Don’t be so fake fans, you gotta back your team and not disrespect any individual player. The task for the remainder of the season just got taller so they need more of our support to accomplish something to be proud of (win vs uf, sec tourney champ, sweet sixteen, elite eight). You want to point fingers, you’ll got to be better fans.

36. RealCatsFan
    6:39 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

26, yeah right, maybe we will get another shot at you chumps if we go to the NIT. Good luck if you have to play outside of Bud Walton.

37. Billy
    6:40 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

This is not a great team. But these kids are unprepared. They lack fundamental coaching and you see what Call can do with average talent, nothing. He will blame everyone in the gym but himself for this loss and the UK fans will lap it up. He is not a top 50 coach but he is a top 2 salesman. He can make sheep follow him anywhere,

38. Ky Realist
    6:40 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Man, what a bunch of crybabies. Those poor refs let them play rough on your poor little cayuts. Suck it up [email protected] You would not win a game in the Big East.

39. jim jim
    6:40 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Goodwin and Poythress will never be heard from again if they think they are ready for the NBA. This team flat out sucks !

40. Bamacat55
    6:42 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Not a very good effort this afternoon. The game against Georgia is critical now and they need a good showing in the SEC tournament. The guys have been playing pretty well for the past 3 games, so they get a pass today BUT there are no more passes left.

41. I got 38 hanging
    6:42 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

38, gargle my left one

42. Sam
    6:43 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

31…You’re in denial. You can also keep on defending a kid that gets beat repeatedly off the dribble…brings absolutely nothing to the offensive end of the court…When is the last time you saw a white lefty who can’t hit a jumper?

43. Stone Cold
    6:43 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Georgia will beat UK by 15 and that’s the bottom line.

44. Mark
    6:44 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

@ #30. Would your post be considered negative or positive? And if it’s a negative post concerning negative posting, would that make it in all actuality a positive post?

45. Abcd
    6:45 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

#23, your F’n dumb a$$

46. RealCatsFan
    6:46 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

37, Cal’s biggest problem is he has no continuity from last year. Yes, that is on him, but I don’t blame all of what I saw on x’s and o’s coaching. This team of mostly freshmen absorbed the sudden loss of their heart and soul three weeks ago. Not a lot of time to make adjustments. That being said, Cal is going to have to assess his recruiting strategy going forward. Needs to mix in more supporting 3 year players.

47. Cal'sGut
    6:46 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Man, UK has 4 or 5 future pros and you still suck without Noel. Basically, Cal needs 6 nba players in order to win. He sucks as a coach without being able to overwhelm the other team with talent. Good news for uk fans is he is buying 6 or 7 pros for next year.

48. Billy
    6:47 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

42 Polson is the only player on the floor that has ant basketball IQ. I am sure you wouldnt see it but he was responsible for 8 points today just because he had instincts to get his hand on the ball. You are a complete idiot. I would bet my last dollar you have never been on a basketball court. This kid has got to play on this team

49. John Short
    6:47 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

This team has no “Bigguns”….. No balls or heart……

50. bluegrassjimmy
    6:48 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

I hope as many of these Freshemen can make it to the pros as possible. If any are remaining they will need lead jocky shorts to help with the bench splinters next year! None of these guys would be able to beat out the group comming in this fall! Turn pro, please don’t embarass yourself this comming fall!!!

51. Nundamentals
    6:49 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

We knew going in the refs and crowd would be an obstacle to overcome but we folded under pressure. You can blame the refs all you want for the outcome but truth is we have a below average back court. I cant recall one time we scored an easy basket due to over extended pressure by AK. Against a press you should have plenty of opportunities.
    Furthermore, we simply can not reverse the floor with ball movement. Turning your back to pressure and throwing passes near out of bounds lines is a NO NO. If your man traps go to the middle of the floor and quit hiding!!!

52. Billy
    6:51 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

46 He does no X and O coaching. He runs a streetball offense that you can see on any school yard court. He just out athletics you when has the athletic players. He has some athletes but not so much ball players.he recruites AAU street ball players and it is catching up with him. May win another next year. But like last year if he does it wont be from coaching.

53. Sam
    6:52 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

48…You’re an idiot if you think that kid can play. don’t insult my intelligence. just because he’s a local boy made good, you morons defend him like a pack of wolves…look at the stats jerk…0 assists…let me say that again…0 assists in 21 minutes…that tells me he is unable to make plays…not to mention he couldn’t guard his own shadow

54. Tommy
    6:56 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Listening to Rob Bromley disect a basketball game is like Barney Fife in a weight room. No business trying

55. Kelkat
    6:57 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

#51…yes we all knew that they would be physical and the crowd fired up….we also know that guard play has been inconsistent to say the least…

BUT…I am pretty sure that hand checking is illegal(only have doubts cause of what I just witnessed)…and lots of teams get away with it…but that was the most blatant…aggressive hand checking I have ever seen. The RazorHacks got aways with too much even for being the home team. We were getting hacked too death and then things like that Polson drive and pulling Wiltjer down and calling obvious things the other way…??? Planly put…those Refs sucked…

56. Chokecal
    6:58 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Arkansas??? Really? by 13?? WOW! How do you lose to them? You have way more talent! How many mcdonald all americans do you need to beat Arkansas? I think you need to start to questiion the coach..a great recruiter but horrible coach! lol, im lovin it tho! UK sucks!!

57. Billy
    6:59 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

53 Hi m being a local boys has nothing to do with it. I dont think he is a great player. I think he is an option you have to play on this team. As for insulting your intelligence. I have read your post and have yet to see any. Explain to me what a assist is. What has to happen for an assist to go in the books

58. Shoebox Johnson
    7:00 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

“The game in Athens will matter much more than the loss tonight.”

WHAT?!?!?!

Unless I am misunderstanding this comment, then this is spin at its best.

How is a game at an awful UGA more important than a game against a decent Arkansas team?

This game was a perfect opportunity for UK to put a solid road victory on its resume. As for the UGA game, all it offers is the potential for disaster…it’s a no win situation.

59. RealCatsFan
    7:02 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

52, gee, isn’t that what Wooden did, and he is considered to be a genius after the fact.

I’m not going to say that Cal is on par with K, Izzo, or a few others when it comes to sheer player development and making adjustments, but it’s not like he just rolls the ball out there either. As with most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

60. Billy
    7:04 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

53 Dont go look it up you should know. Im waiting.

61. Billy
    7:06 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

59 Yes I would agree with the Wooden comment for sure.You never heard me refer to the wizard of westwood on here.

62. Mc
    7:11 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

56) Florida lost there too. Is Donovan a bad coach also? A lot of teams struggle there. Michigan lost there last year. It’s over, time to move on.

63. Mc
    7:17 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Polson is ok for what his athletic abilities allow him, and on this team that is 7 deep now including him, obviously he has to play. However, he can’t run the point against the press and can’t defend anyone with quickness. Basketball wise he’s average in every area, but I do appreciate his effort sometimes. I wish the more talented players would give more effort. The bottom line is the team will go as far as harrow takes them. The problem is harrow is like a turtle in such that sometimes he goes back into his shell, like today.

64. chokecal
    7:20 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

62) Yep, it is over..the NIT starts March 17th bud, lol

65. QuickyRicky
    7:21 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

#56…. Why? I mean I don’t care what you say… You are on here to get a reaction…you got one… I am sure you are having a good day…UK loss…so now you can get online and talk some trash and not worry about getting bullied which probably has happened to ya all your life. It’s a good day for ya and life is much safer for ya living with your parents until you are 35…playing COD with your UL buddies and posting on a UK site as you wait for mom to call your 35 yr. old ass to dinner. LOL

That the reaction you looking for lil’ Johnny?

66. Sam
    7:24 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

60…Well i don’t know what “a assist” is…however, i do know what “an assist” is, and i know your boy didn’t have one. He did, however, have 2 turnovers…you know what those are…right? The kid sucks..period. It’s a shame Harrow isn’t any better. If he were better, Polson wouldn’t see the floor.

67. Billy
    7:36 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

66 my bad typo.Pretty weak come back. Now that we have that cleared up. Would you please explain to me what it is. Lets stay on point. I dont mind two turnovers. You going to answer the question ? Of course you are not.

68. Study Break
    7:43 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Chokecal. Obvious you’re not a UK fan, so if you’re telling me we need to fire coach cal, then I think we need to hang on to him. It’s tough, you picked up our sloppy seconds, and cal has been able to post a championship in just three seasons. How many you got with pitino??? Also chokecal? That’s ironic, UL seems to make a habit of choking, not UK. Down year for UK, enjoy it while it lasts.

69. bloobloodcat
    7:48 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

First time Cal has not had an NBA caliber guard since Derrick Rose…and it shows. Add that to a fragile team generally with no solid upperclassmen leadership and you get mediocre performances like this one. They just aren’t that good folks. The silver lining is that this is an anomoly for us now unlike the last five years before Cal when we were mediocre EVERY year!

Also, UGA is a big game not because a win there is a statement, but unlike today, a loss is likely the end of any NCAA hopes. Some think we are already out and that is fine. Maybe we are. But we HAVE to win at Athens or hopes are gone I would think. Just my opinion.

70. Sam
    7:49 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

67…i know what an assist is douche….and yes, he is an option…a bad one. that’s why we suck, because we have to rely on players like him and hood. defend them all you want, but if you know anything about basketball, you know that he is terrible. he can’t defend. he can’t make plays. he can’t shoot. he can’t rebound. I could go on and on. he is ineffective…period.

71. HawaiianCat
    8:02 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Blame the refs all you want, but they are not (usually) going to call handchecking if you’re not making an aggressive move to the basket. The few times someone actually made an aggressive drive to the basket, we got the call. I blame the coaching staff for not having a game plan (or making halftime adjustments) to counter the overextended pressure defense. Put the ball in Alex or Archie’s hands and everyone else get out of the way! Instead we dribble out the shot clock 35′ from the basket or dribble directly into double teams on the wing or baseline, more often than not resulting in a turnover. Our half court offense is one of the worst in college basketball, and with the talent we still have on the floor, most of the blame goes back to coaching. I wouldn’t trade Cal and our staff for anyone, but the job they’ve done with this team has been lacking to say the least.

72. Billy
    8:07 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

70. Why do I have to be a douche? You still havnt answered my question.You keep going around it. I dont know everything but I do know this. I have played enough on the Rupp floor. I am also sure you paid to watch (If you had the means).I understand what a basketball player is. I am talking about a smart ball player. So you keep name calling and I will keep looking at my press clippings and my ring.

73. Billy
    8:11 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

70. Why do you say we? You are not on the team. You wish you were.You are no closer to the team than anyone else. You are just a band wagon fanatic that doesnt have sense to keep his mouth shut.You would kiss Polsons hindend and follow him around if he would let you.

74. Sam
    8:18 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

74 I don’t know what a “hindend” is…you must be from eastern kentucky

75. Sam
    8:22 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

73 Oh yeah…i’m not on the team because im 11 years old…Azz!

76. Billy
    8:32 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

75 You keep at it. You will get noticed sooner or later.

77. Dane Brammage
    9:42 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Walmart has a new “Depends Jean”….like his fat a$h, it’s built in — and, he’s the model.

This is his Bud Walton arena attire.

Typically, he wears a white sheet: like the rest of his klan.

78. ==== KSR HEADACHE====
    12:26 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

==== There are PLENTY of white sheets in the state of Kentucky #77 …….. have you seen what our fans wear to the games ? I mean this gentleman is GQ compared to bib overalls ! LOL !

& as always the opposing coach was nattily attired mssr Anderson vs ( I just got out of the shower Calamari ) put on a dang tie and act like you have a job at an institution that has some pride ……. or once did …..

Coach calls our offense the dribble drive ….. I call it helter skelter ….. seriously 19 turnovers ….. do you stilllllllll like this team coach? It’s a valid question if you answer YES !

The young turks here at KSR have a serious jones for us older folk …. it’s evident in their writing and disrespect of the elders that inhabit this slog, er’ sorry, …… blog ….

you showed the older gentleman (soooooeeeeeee supporter) three times in photos, had he been in Rupp in all blue …. he would have been chastised as one of the gray hairs that inhabit the lower levels and don’t cheer, and detract from the students having better seats, blah, blah, blah, ……

There needs to be at least ONE voice in this blog that has been there and done that …… and isn’t a “WANNABEE”, but a “DO BEE” ….. the puppets are stale up in here, up in here ……

OL’ PIX be yo’ mentor !

====

79. Sheeeeeiiit
    2:19 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

78 – Jeez that was a touch wacky.

Main thing wrong is we don’t have a great point guard. Harrow is a big dissapointment IMO. It doesn’t seem like he practiced with last years team at all. But hey it is a down year. I’m still loving our NC from last year. Sucks to lose but you guys harping on the team need to relax.

80. Shoebox Johnson
    8:49 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

@69…I agree re: UGA game being the end of the road…but that doesn’t make it a “more important” game. Well, outside of the fact that the Ark game is over.

Would really like to hear KSR’s theory on that…just sounds dumb!

81. Shoebox Johnson
    8:50 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

@69…just to clarify…their last few sentences in the OP sound dumb…not you! Sorry for the confusion.

82. Ronnie
    10:26 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Cal can get any player in the country at Ky. He evaluated thse kids as the best in the country. These kis were the best in high school. They came to Kentucky. Now they wont give effort,they are confused,they are in total disaray. “They cant be coached” Cal says. If Cal say’s it it must be so. Now if Joker said tht about his football team. A team that cant recruit and get any players so to speak. You run hiim out of town. Lets just say this. Cal may be an average bench coach at best. He is P.T. Barnum as a promoter and the BBN has fallen for his sales pitch to the tune of 5 mill plus a year and laps his self promoting crap up like its gospel. We are going to see what the NCAA thinks of Caikentucky at selection time. In this world perception is everything.This falls on the head of Calipari.PERIOD.

83. Stay Classy Lexington
    12:20 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

Big picture……..Elite 8, Final Four, Natl Championship……..then a down year. The kids are trying they just aren’t able to put it together for whatever reason. Talent is there but the buttons Cal pushed the last three years aren’t working all the time this year. We also did lose our best player remember? You guys can whine about it as much as you like but I will root for my team whatever happens this year and watch as we smoke fools next year. You can’t be on top every year and a team relying so heavily on freshmen will normally be just like our Cats this year–mainly inconsistent because they are young. I suggest everyone jumping off the cliff to step back and relax…we all love the big blue….just not having a typical year…..it happens

84. GOOGLE
    4:54 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

Gamers nevertheless can not move for you to servers that are “Full.”