Are You A Marine That Hates Texas Football?

If so, boy do I have the gif for you!

Some notes.

1.   The Police officer sharing a laugh with an Ole Miss event staff member in the background.

2.   The Marine appears so steamed he forces his cap to nearly explode off his head.

3.   If this Marine was in an Ole Miss uniform and played defense for the Rebels instead of defense for America, Ole Miss likely wouldn’t have surrendered 66 points last Saturday.

Article written by Jonathan Schuette

45 Comments for Are You A Marine That Hates Texas Football?

1. HackRichards
    8:03 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

That’s Interesting!

2. Tom in ky
    8:12 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

one mean marine sir!

3. Common Sense
    8:12 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

Is there a story behind this? Anyone know why he did this? It’s hilarious.

4. BeachCat
    8:17 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

That face he makes with the bobble head maneuver is truly hilarious…only thing I can see is the Texas player maybe was going to salute or something and the marine wasn’t having it. Other than that I have no idea

5. Mr.Obvious
    8:20 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

Looks like he was protecting the police officer

6. Denver matt
    8:22 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

I would do the same i hate Texas!!!!!

7. Korean Tacos
    8:25 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

I believe the player was about to salute.

8. gomer pyle
    8:26 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

This Marine was not going to be disrespected. Looks like a drill sergeant

9. Champ
    8:30 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

I know to some people its basically blasphemy to say this…but marines like that need to take themselves JUST A LITTLE less serious sometimes.

10. SEMPER FI
    8:32 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

#9 You don’t have a clue what that Marine and his soldiers have been through. May have lost several friends in battle, etc. so the salute means more to him than you could ever understand. Maybe you need to be a little MORE serious sometimes.

11. love it
    8:35 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

#9, I echo #10’s thoughts. That Longhorn was attempting to salute and be disrespectful. That marine was well within his rights. That marine and those like him are the reason those fans can comfortably watch a game. The salute is for soldiers, not d bags like Goodwin. Goodwin had as much right saluting that soldier as that soldier did breaking up a pass in live play. That is to say, none at all.

Get a clue.

12. shane p.
    8:36 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

Goodwin competed in the olympics this year in london. So if he was saluting the marine im sure he wasnt trying to be dissrespectful…. but nevertheless this is funny lol

13. jpay
    8:38 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

I’m hearing impaired and the angle is bad but it appears THe TX player is gonna do some kind of endzone celebration and before he can start the Sergeant Is ripping his ass. The only ledgible words I can make out are STOP and Don’t when he puts his hands on his hips…. He was hot. @#9 The Marines don’t take anything lightly… Trust me

14. PatPattersonISwalkingthruthatdoor
    8:41 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

9/10: and right on cue lol

15. Did any of you watch the game?
    8:41 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

Did any of you watch the game? If you did you would realize that the Marine was a big Texas fan and was getting hyped for the UT player that scored.

16. bill
    8:44 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

Pretty obvious to me, the texas player was getting ready to salute him, you can see him about to raise his arm…disrespectful to the marine.

17. Blue Jesus
    8:54 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, no I agree with number 9.

18. Chris
    8:57 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

15 … You’re an idiot!

19. Jaxalum
    8:59 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

“defense for America”…..hilarious.

20. Mack
    9:18 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

The Marine wasn’t going to allow the T-sip to disrespect him.

21. Bill Brasky
    9:44 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

16) Actually the story is that this is a member if the ROTC cadre and that the Texas player was shushing the home crowd. The marine told the player in no uncertain terms what he though about being quiet. If you watch again the player brings his arm to his mouth, not forehead

22. GimmeaBreak
    9:44 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

I’d say the Texas player had every right to salute the Marine if he felt so compelled.
    By the way, I bet that Marine is a lot of fun at a party. As Warren Oates once said said, ‘lighten up, Francis’

23. barn
    9:51 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

it’s not disrespectful to salute any military person. how could a salute be taken as disrespect.

24. Champ
    9:56 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

#10 #11 THanks fr the attacks. Agree to disagree I guess. Regardless of anything, I just dont see how he is out of bounds to salute anybody for any reason. But from what the commentors are saying, it looks like he was just trying to shuush the crowd, and in that case, I think its cool that the soldier is defending his fellow Ole Miss fans.

25. Panama
    10:07 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

Love it! Absolutely love it!

26. Roggensak
    10:10 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

It’s Drill Instructor. You don’t salute Drill Instructors either… you can tell by his rank, and his hand gestures he is a Drill Instructor.

27. Lighten Up
    10:11 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

We all appreciate their service. But….this dude needs to chill out. It’s a football game.

28. Yabba
    10:14 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

Pretty simple answer. The Texas player was acting like a punk, so, he was treated like a punk.

29. Axe Cop
    10:40 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

30. yep
    11:15 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

First of all. Most military personnel would never take a salute as disrespect. For those who don’t know, the lower rank always salutes first,waits for the higher rank to return the salute.

31. Jus Sayin
    11:31 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

23. When you just scored on his home team and are doing it as a touchdown celebration on national tv?

32. Delaney Hanley
    11:51 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

“Only two things come from Oklahoma boy steers and queers and I dont see no horns on you.” Lou Gossett Jr Gunnery Sergeant Emil Foley Officer and a Gentelmen

33. cmonman
    1:57 am September 19, 2012 Permalink

Hey bill brasky… ROTC members don’t wear marine uniforms.

34. catfan john
    3:58 am September 19, 2012 Permalink

33. hes a gunnery sergeant, which you can tell by the symbol on his sleeve, hes most likely in charge of the marines that are in ole’ miss rotc program, but i’m pretty sure hes not a DI. but back to the point, i really couldnt make heads or tails of that. i don’t think the sergeant wouldve been that upset if goodwin had been trying to salute him, nor do i think the sheriff behind him would’ve found it that funny if goodwin hadnt been doing something disrespectful. he looked like he started to bring his arm up but the sergeant started yellin before he got there.

35. StayThirstyMyFriends
    6:50 am September 19, 2012 Permalink

I don’t really know what’s going on in this setting, but I do know(being a former Marine myself) enlisted service members(and civilians) DO NOT salute enlisted service members. (Well, an enlisted person will salute another enlisted person under certain circumstances, like reporting to a platoon sergeant at a formation). Other than that, enlisted service members render a salute to Commissioned Officers in passing and then the Commissioned Officer returns the salute.

36. Tucker
    7:33 am September 19, 2012 Permalink

He is a drill instructor and he was my Sergeant Instructor at OCS. He is one of the most influential men I’ve ever had in my life but he is not someone you mess with and he takes customs and standards in the Marine Corps extremely seriously. With that being said, he is also extremely funny so he was probably just messing with the kid. The camera was on him off and on the whole night and GNYSGT Roberts can get louder than anyone (trust me). While he is an ROTC instructor at Ole Miss currently I’m pretty sure he is actually a UGA fan because that’s where he is originally from.

37. CatomicBomb
    8:02 am September 19, 2012 Permalink

Gotta appreciate that kind of passion. How can you tell this Marine to calm down? Ha, if just half our fanbase had this kind of emotion…. But we are what we say we are, fair weather fans…. Oops got off point there, anyways I love the clip, funny as heck.

38. Aaron C Bunch
    10:49 am September 19, 2012 Permalink

ALL military personnel even if it’s a 5 star general: They SERVE the citizens. A civilian OUTranks anyone in the military this is taught in basic training 101. I was in Army for 5 years I’m an Iraq combat vet, I’ll cite the beginning of the Soldier’s creed: “I am an American Soldier, I am a Warrior and a member of a team, I SERVE the people of the United States and live the Army values”.

If this Marine is upset because of a salute, he’s wrong. That player has every right to salute the Marine. It’s not disrespect, it’s not wrong. He’s a civilian. That Marine should salute him and be proud to do it!

That being said, that player should respect that Marine for all that he’s done. You don’t get to the rank of E-6 (if I’m correct on the insignia) in this war climate by not doing some time in the sandbox. Yet again I see a flurry of KSR trolls throwing all kinds of incorrect jargon. Facts are optional again I see.

39. goodwin peed his pants
    11:41 am September 19, 2012 Permalink

what you cannot see from this angle is the yellow stain goodwin is sporting on the crotch of his pants.

40. notv
    11:53 am September 19, 2012 Permalink

Just sayin’, but marines aren’t soldiers. They’re marines. Or riflemen. But never soldiers.

41. Plain Truth
    12:12 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

Mr. Bunch very good points, every one on here should be indebted to your service. I really think the Marine may be having a little bit of fun. The young man for Texas is playing a game with pride on the line; the man facing him is playing a game, with it all on the line.

42. West KY Marine
    1:22 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

FACTS; His paygrade is E-7. E-7 is a Gunnery Sergent. Marines are not soldiers.

UNKNOWN; Who the Marine was cheering for or a fan of. What the Texas player was doing. What was said.

THOUGHTS; Maybe the Texas player did motion to shush the crowd and the Marine showed him his “WAR FACE” and “BATTLE CRY”

FACT; That cover was about half-a-second from exploding off his head!!

Thanks, and I am a Marine!

43. Larry
    1:55 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

The Marines rank is Gunnery Sgt. If you take the time to read about marines or if you are one like myself you would no it is an insult to salute or call an NCO (Non Commissioned Officer)sir. If the Gunny is a drill Instructor even more so. Who cares about Texas anyway. Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie and James Travis would have lived longer if they had left the Alamo to the Mexicans

44. Vet
    3:11 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

#38

You’re an idiot!

45. Tony
    10:14 pm September 20, 2012 Permalink

What most of you don’t understand is that:
    1. Goodwin is not in military uniform
    2. The marine is not an officer and does not get saluted to.

The gunny would salute an officer. People don’t salute him. It’s disrespectful to officers when someone salutes an enlisted marine.