Are We Going to See an Influx of Technicals?

Alright STOP…It’s Eddy Time!

There are very few jobs where you can show up to work, know you’re going to have a major effect on everything happening at work, do you best job, and still be certain that some people are going hate you by the night’s end.  While it’s probably a great feeling to work with the sport you love, being a referee has it’s drawbacks.   You cannot please everyone.

And the job’s getting a bit harder after the most recent news.  Seth Davis chronicles National coordinator John Adams’ recent ‘scathing’ memo to  his cohorts, urging them to enforce sportsmanship rules.  This was mentioned in the morning links, but it made me think: I’d hate to see a lot of technicals being thrown around for simple little things that don’t deserve them.  Whether it’s Terrence Jones flexing or the mere ‘waving off’ of a ref’s call by a kid as he jogs down the court, the regulation of the game with technical fouls could get out of hand.

Here are some excerpts of what Adams told his troop of refs:

“In games I have attended, I have noticed minor unsporting indiscretions between opposing players go unnoticed by officiating crews and invariably, these unnoticed acts later turn into much bigger problems,” Adams wrote. “Quite simply, we are doing a poor job of enforcing Rule 10, Section 5, as written.”

“These types of actions call for technical fouls. Call them!” Adams wrote. “Your coordinators and commissioners will support you.”

You may remember Adams as the second U.S. president that guy who spoke out both sides of his mouth regarding the charge/block/blarge issues earlier this season.  I’m not saying the guy is crazy or wrong, but that giving your referees more ammo isn’t going to make the calls better.  If anything, it’s going to cause unnecessary and over-burdensome whistles.

Adams lauded the Markel Brown’s (OSU) dunk and ejection against Mary Jo’s beloved Missouri as a ‘great call’ and exactly what he is pushing for more of.  Watch the video below and gauge Brown’s reaction after the dunk:

Did this kid really do anything technical worthy?  Not in my mind.  I’m not saying I support his reaction, but if I just crammed the possible dunk of the year over a #2 ranked team, I’d be pretty damn excited.  BUT WITH THAT SAID: he did receive a technical for trash talking that was well-deserved and he was walking on ice with the refs.  I don’t support players being irresponsible and downright rude to opponents, but there’s still a gray area here that doesn’t need a call of action from the head of the officials.  Another great example is Kyle Kuric’s great dunk last year – he’d merely glanced at the defender afterwards and got T’d up.  There’s a thin line that referees straddle when it comes to sportsmanship rules, and I really hope we don’t see that line crossed more often because of this recent memo.

I guess when it comes to technical fouls and referees in general, I’m anti-regulation like Ron Paul (WARNING: not a political endorsement at all, just an analogy): I want the game to be regulated by the referees no more than absolutely necessary.  Let the kids play – take the laissez-faire approach to the game.

Article written by Chris Thomas

59 Comments for Are We Going to See an Influx of Technicals?

1. ktmiln2
    11:36 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

I think if you dunk on someone like that, and don’t taunt them, you should get t’d up. That was NAS-TY!!

2. ktmiln2
    11:37 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

I mean, the guy was at halfcourt before they called the technical. Ridiculous.

3. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    11:43 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

His second dunk was waaaayyy nastier and he got T’d up again.

4. fortwaynecatfan
    11:46 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

I don’t think that picture is Ted Valentine. Looks like Ed Hightower to me.

5. Pitino Hater
    11:47 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

He’s not getting T’d up for the dunks! It’s what he does and possibly says AFTER the dunks that get’s him in trouble. For what it’s worth, I’m all for enforcing good sportsmanship. The last thing I want to see is a bunch of spoiled Terrell Owens types ruining college basketball.

6. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    11:48 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

The kid about to shoot a half court shot for 10K on Gameday is a nerdy Kyle Wiltjer.

7. Dunkofyear
    11:50 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Yeah the questionable one is his 2nd one, the dunk of the year. Google oklahoma st. brown alley oop missouri to see it (sorry cant post link on phone).

8. Checkmate
    11:52 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

9. Checkmate
    11:53 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

If it was, in fact, for “trash talking,” we don’t know what he said. But if he received the T for flexing, that would be ridiculous. Truly no harm there, and should not have been a foul. SUGGESTION: Can KSR compile stats on the countries refs (i.e. #Number of calls they call individually, number of technicals, number of games they ref, etc.)? Imagine the web site traffic that would create if people could come to KSR to find updated information on those stats. Fans and sportswriters from every team in the country would flock to KRS. Could be very lucrative.

10. Bledsoe's Biceps
    11:54 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

As some others have suggested, I think it is time the officials need to face the media/public for their actions. Why do universities allow the officials to be exempt from this? They should be available to the media after every game. It’s high time the good ol’ boys club is disbanded and the officials are made to face the media. Hell, we make 18-19 year old kids do it after emotional wins & losses, why not the “adults” that are on the court with them?

11. Joe
    11:55 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Go ahead. It’s okay. Endorse Ron Paul. He’s the only one who understands foreign policy, and particularly our economy. He’s predicted the crashes, and explicitly said what needs to be done so we don’t keep repeating history. He is warning of a dollar crisis. But relatively few seem to give a damn. They’d rather feed on the red meat that the other 3 warmongers throw at the people: bomb Iran, bomb Iran! More war! We want blood. It’s sick. Ron Paul is the only sane one. The only one who is incorruptible. He’s a wise and good man.

12. ktmiln2
    11:55 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Let’s see, people want no emotion, no dancing, no flexing, no 3-goggles, etc. (unless Duke does it, of course) NCAA basketball is turning into major league baseball

13. oldhamcatfan
    11:56 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Yes, let’s take all the excitement out of college basketball so that it is as much fun as the NBA, or worse, baseball.

14. ktmiln2
    11:56 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

13. Lol, beat you to it by a minute.

15. ktmiln2
    11:57 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

I wonder if that would have been a technical if the player was white

16. NashvilleCat
    11:59 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

It’s ok to endorse Ron Paul. He is the man.

17. casey
    11:59 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

That type of letter sums up everything that is wrong with officiating. And College basketball is far from the only level or sport guilty. Refs are virtually being encouraged to be part of the show, to over step their role. They are being encouraged to call more technicals? with no warnings? give me a break. Neither of those T’s on Ok St were even border line. SPORTS ARE EXCITING! THEY ARE CAUSE FOR CELEBRATION! FOR PASSION! If you cannot handle a little 2 second stare down, don’t get dunked on! Or don;t play basketball!

As I said, this is on all levels of all sports. High school, College, Pro. Sports are about having fun. We’ve gotten to such a sad affair across the board that the most legitimate refs in sports may be in the WWE

18. barn
    12:00 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

i say outlaw the dunk again and bring back the freshmen ineligible rule, and enforce contact fouls, and palming the ball. the game has gotten so rough the players soon might have to wear helmets and pads. if fouls were called consistently the way they should be it would be harder for refs to get rich in vegas.

19. Don
    12:06 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

Its about time that the NCAA cracked down on this behavior. I want to puke everytime I see taunting, trash-talking, etc. Even as a UK fan, I can’t stand the “3 goggle” garbage. Make your shot and run down to the other end of the court. Also, I can’t stand seeing coaches act like babies on the sidelines, arguing every call, screaming at the referees. The NBA is even more disgusting, with players constantly arguing with the refs. We should all support this crackdown.

20. OBCat
    12:08 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

I truly believe it is a conflict of generations with a racial undertone. The bob knights of the world hate that the game is now played above the rim by mostly inner city or deep south kids that happen to be black. They long for the day of 6 foot kids that pass it around for 30 seconds until they score on a backdoor cut or 15 ft jumper. The only thing that hasn’t changed are the establishment and referees. I know that I’m gonna get bashed for playing the race card, but I’m observing this from unbiased eyes. I’m a white guy in his 30’s from Kentucky. Like I said earlier. You wanna clean it up, make real consequences- charge them with assault and ban them from college basketball. Calling questionable technical fouls is not the answer. This is social engineering of college athletes. Dress this way, play this way, speak this way and we’ll accept you. Sound familiar? And yes, I totally agree make the refs face the media and that would be great if we could get those stats.

21. dhubbuch
    12:11 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

Typical. Take the greatest sport on the planet; ruin it. Idiots.

22. BLY 4EVA
    12:12 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

refs SUCK! POINT BLANK. PERIOD.

23. oldhamcatfan
    12:12 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

14 Great minds think alike, I guess

24. barn
    12:12 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

20-ok you’re bashed. how can you equate race into this? it’s about the game. and if you think conformity is such a bad thing then you’re not going to excel in any kind of society.

25. Cristoforouk
    12:12 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

This dude’s email should be published and his email box flooded. I can’t stand how much emotion they try to take out of all sports. Ref should be more worried on calling actual fouls correctly (god knows they have a long ways to go there) than interpreting minor reactions from players during the game. College bball officials have to be the worst and most inconsistent of any sport.

26. Lincoln
    12:16 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

“I’m a white guy in his 30′s from Kentucky” … CLEARLY unbiased.

27. Calipari'sInYourEar
    12:16 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

In the video posted that is clearly a charge.

So the referee not only got the call wrong, but having gotten it wrong, caused the escalation of Markell’s behavior. If the dunker would have been called for the charge, the kid would have been forced to put his tail between his legs or get a T for complaining about the call.

I know no fan of a team that gets a dunk like that thinks it should be however the defender was in position before the kid jumped and was outside of the ring.

The dunker could have angled his jump more to avoid the up and over approach. he didn’t, so he took the risk of getting the charge call to begin with (even though it wasn’t called).

28. Han
    12:21 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

The job of the refs is to make sure the game is played fair and safe, not to make sure no one’s feelings get hurt.

And 90% of technical fouls for showing off or trash talking are called after the other team has been running their mouth at a guy all game. It’s like when the crowd is insulting a player, he makes a great play, and then he nods his head at them back down the floor. That’s all part of the experience. Shouldn’t be technical worthy and usually isn’t. The same should hold with players on the court trash talking and staring each other down.

29. OBCat
    12:22 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

24- these kids are not selling insurance. Their lives are very different then ours. They are in the entertainment industry and will make a lot more money than us, due to genetics. Trust me, I wish I had a chance to play in the league, but that’s life. Things have changed. The next time I perform surgery, I will not stare down my scrub tech or spike the trocar. We’re talking about basketball.

30. Han
    12:23 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

27) Technically that dunk by Stevenson in Memorial that everyone puts in their best dunk videos was a charge, too. The defender was set (outside of where the arc is now) and Perry jumped into him to get to the rim. The fact that some guys can basically dunk over other guys has meant that they pretty much never call charges on successful dunks. However, they constantly call over-the-back when a taller guy skies over the other guy for a rebound.

There’s so much inconsistency.

31. TheThing
    12:24 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

As a long time high school and NAIA official in both KY and GA, I can provide some explaination for those more “ignorant” or the referee profession. At the beginning of each year, we are given points of emphasis by our respective leagues. These are rules that the league felt was not enforced well last year, and needs to be improved upon this year.

Obviously the NCAA is cracking down on unsportsmanlike conduct due to the fact that it has gotten out of hand over the previous years. While you may disagree or agree on this subject, you cannot at any time blame the referees. Refusal to call the points of emphasis may result in suspension or your assigner not giving you games at all. Its the equivalent of your boss telling you to do something and you completely blowing it off.

As for the Oklahoma St. call. While I may not of given the player a technical, I completely understand why the official did. He had already received a technical for trash talking, which automatically puts you on an officials radar. Any competent referee would from that point on strictly enforce the sportsmanship rule. This allows for the officials to retain control of the game and not let it get out of hand.

So please think before you make comments about officials. We are humans and we make mistakes. Its an extremely hard job to do, and I challenge each of you to get certified and try it for yourself. Your view may change..

32. Allen
    12:29 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

The liberals need to get out of our lives. Sports is one of the places that being a bad ass with extreme intensity is required.

33. Sheeeeiiit
    12:31 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

20 – normally i would argue with your point. I hate the race card. BUT, you may be on to something. I read the letter from Adams and it gave me a weird feeling. It has an undertone that is off. Im not sure if it is classic control from the NCAA, some form of race thing or both. Im leaning towards both. Its important to keep the thug/bully thing in check. Thats a white and a black thing, anyone can taunt or talk trash. But refs going beyond that seems to reek of putting players in a nice little box. Where they cant express themselves and they are just like robots acting how they are told.

34. barn
    12:35 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

33-“acting how they are told”: that’s called “playing by the rules”

35. Bledsoe's Biceps
    12:41 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

31) Appreciate you experienced perspective, but that was still a very borderline situation to call a technical. There was no overt or prolonged taunting. Most reasonable people do understand the officials are human and will make mistakes. In the history of mankind, my wife is the only person who has never made one. My issue is that officials are totally insulated from the media and being held publicly accountable for their most flagrant or highly questionable mistakes.

36. ktmiln2
    12:42 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

31. And let me provide some explanation of why people have a problem with the way refereeing is done:
    1. Arbitrary enforcement of rules
    2. No accountability
    3. The good ole boys culture that is the varying refereeing associations
    4. The fact that some refs don’t seem to get it that the people are not there to see them. The best ref is one you don’t remember.

Did I forget anything guys?

37. ktmiln2
    12:43 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

35. Did she ever buy a pencil with an eraser? If so, now she has made a mistake.

38. barn
    12:46 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

36-agreed. your first 2 points are what make it so easy for the refs to control the point spread.

39. Bledsoe's Biceps
    12:46 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

37) You’re confusing facts with her perspective. If she did, she would never admit it. 🙂

40. road_warri0r
    12:47 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

It is just a sad fact of life that good sportsmanship has become a thing of the past, along with good manners, respect for elders, fear of God, and other virtues which were taught a generation ago. It will take a while for the cycle to run its course, and the trend reversed. The trash talkers and posers have no clue that their behavior is frowned upon and unaccepted by more mature individuals, neither do they care!!!

41. ktmiln2
    12:49 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

You have to love the “Let’s take the entertainment out of sports entertainment” crowd.

42. ktmiln2
    12:49 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

39. Lol

43. TheThing
    12:53 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

#35 I agree that there was no reason to call a technical. However, that official played it on the safe side. Some times officials do stretch calls so that it is demonstrated that such action will not be tolerated. If a official gives a technical for something small this sends a message to both teams to tone it down. It may not sound great out first glance but an experienced official who has a mastery of game control can implement such a technical without it having a major effect on the overall game.

Officials do deserve more accountability and believe me bad calls do not go unpunished within the league that assigns you. The problem is that the public rarely sees actions that are taken. At most games a official’s representative is there to evaluate the performance of the official. Anything noticed at the game is FULLY addressed in weekly meetings. I’ve seen guys lose games for the rest of the year based on blown and horrible calls.

Officials are mostly kept out of the public eye out of fear for their safety and the safety of their families. An example being the death threats the 49ers player received after fumbling the punt return. We have all seen extreme anger towards officials, imagine if these official were put in public view..thing would happen..bad things.

44. BravoBigBlue
    12:56 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

Just call it consistently, game to game, no matter who the teams are. If you are a fan of taunting, that’s your problem. It’s only a race thing because 80% of the players are black. Only a small percentage of players display poor sportsmanship. And they should be held accountable.

45. TheThing
    12:58 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

#36 I understand what you are saying. However, I believe officials get ragged on the majority of the time because people do not understand the full details of their jobs. The basic one is the common fan’s complete misunderstanding and misinterpretation of the rules. Every time I hear an announcer or fan talk about an “over the back call” I cringe. Their is not one place in the rules that mentions a foul called “over the back”. This demonstrates the common fan and even the announcers misunderstanding of the rules.

Another example, a few UK games ago people were upset about a block/charge double foul. I agree that is a bad situation and is the result of officials not communicating with each other; however it does happen. Official’s mechanics state that in this situation the only fair way to resolve it is to award the double foul. It’s not the best way but it is the fairest under the circumstances.

46. Bledsoe's Biceps
    1:07 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

45) Thanks for the replies. I take exception to your defense/explanation of the “over the back” foul. People simply use this common phrase, regardless of whether it is called this in the rule book. People simply use this phrase when this type of foul is not called. ie. Player A has established their position and player B initiates excessive contact to get the ball.

47. TheThing
    1:14 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

#46 going over the back does not necessarily mean it was a foul. Anthony Davis may be six inches taller than player B, if he simply reaches over him from behind and takes the ball there is no foul. However, if he PUSHES him, then that is a foul…It is a push. I understand that people use common phrases, but I believe that a large amount of people actually going over the back is a foul in itself.

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable and I really appreciate that as both a fan and official. I have no problem with fans, coaches and players asking me about why I made calls. I’ve been wrong before and I’ve apologized after the game. Most officials are of the same mindset. However when fans, coaches, players go the “REFS SUCK”, “GET SOME GLASSES” etc route, that officials will circle the wagons, protect each other, and throw some T’s.

48. Bledsoe's Biceps
    1:20 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

47) Fair enough. I can’t disagree that some probably do think there is an “official” over the back rule that prevents anyone from legally grabbing a rebound over another player. I appreciate the open and courteous exchange. Thanks.

49. theSkinny81
    1:32 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

#28 – Han

Your first line is absolutely right on. +1

50. KD
    1:32 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

32) You’re referring to the conservatives getting into our lives….misnomer in effect.
    I saw the OSU game. Not sure what was said but if it was not directed at an official,I believe no technical foul should be warranted. I can’t believe under today’s circumstances that a blarge or a chlock or even a wedgie was not called to go along with the “T” , with no fewer than 5 free throws being shot between the two teams….oh that’s right, Duke was not playing in this game. Markel Brown had two of the nastiest dunks you will see, both cause for celebration and a moderate amount of woofing. The defender, while he was set, chose to give him the rim,and thus, asked for the facial. “oh Mr. Referee, I’m about to be shat upon, please bail me out. I’m just standing here minding my own business, when this,this, “man” jumps up and puts his parts all over me….and , and , don’t let him talk bad to me. Mommmmy! Geez!!! ….. While player behavior may be out of control from time to time, removing the emotion from the game is IMO “unsportsmanlike”. These athletes are not in a court of law. They are competing in a physical and emotional endeavor and those wusses that can’t handle being on either or both sides of demoralizing plays such as these two dunks with the corresponding “rub-in” should be playing chess. And for what it’s worth, I’m a 50 year old white guy from Kentucky!
    GoCats!

51. blueinmemphis
    1:33 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

I’m a HS and college official as well, and can back up what “The Thing” (whatever that is) is saying. At the college level, all the games are either video taped or observed by a trained, veteran officials supervisor. If an official blows a call, particularly an important one, they are held accountable by the league assigners. Lost games, suspensions, etc. will be levied.

The public in general doesn’t know about all of this, but believe me it happens. The sporstmanship issue has become more and more of an issue as players bring attention to themselves and/or taunt the other team. The big thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that these acts often lead to retaliation by the other team, and fights often ensue (remember Xavier/Cincinnati?).

You can’t separate the two: Taunting and fights are related. If an official passes on taunting, he/she is putting the game in jeopardy of having escalated physical play and fights. As much as we as officials would like to be out of this realm of enforcement, we have no choice. We are in charge of managing and controlling the game. Everyone else at the gamesite is pulling for one team or the other.

52. BigOBill
    1:37 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

Redonkulas to call a T on that play. He didnt stop and wolf over the kid. Refs interject themselves too much in games.

53. Bledsoe's Biceps
    1:54 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

51) Again I ask, why are officials exempt from having their punishments made public? Why the circling of the wagons? There is absolutely no logical reason this should not be public. I think most of us believe this latest emphasis is precisely an over reaction to the Xavier/UC situation. You say fights often ensue due to taunting & retaliation. That simply is not true. Fights rarely occurr, much rarer are full blown brawls such as the XU/UC one. Don’t get me wrong, the officials do need to address the most blatant taunting and do need to retain control of the game. But this is about to get blown way out of proportion by the paper pushers in the office.

54. Sheeeeiiit
    2:16 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

34 – not necessarily. playing by the rules and being robots not being able to show emotion are totally different. Thats the problem, i think. BBall is supposed to be fun for the players. Showing emotion during the intensity of the game has to be allowed. If not its built up and can turn into agression. Refs need to define what they will tolerate and what they wont and then be consistant to that. This is a grey area flamed up by a fight that could have been avoided.

55. blueinmemphis
    2:35 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

53) I think most current officials wouldn’t mind some more openness on our part. You’re seeing it now in Mike Perriar (sp?) from the NFL explaining rulings. I imagine it will become more prevalent as time goes on.

Even though fights don’t occur often, when they do, they can be horrific with terrible consequences for players, coaches and teams. Lost games, severe injuries, etc. We have to guard against that.

Plus it is a sportsmanship issue, and whether they like it or not they are role models for younger kids. Take Anthony Davis’ “act like you’ve been there before” attitude on his blocks and dunks. Isn’t that what you want your kid to act like, rather than Terrence or Marquis actin’ a fool sometimes? Darius Miller is another that has his emotions under control.

If you look in any rulebook for any NCAA or HS sport, you will see SPORTSMANSHIP as one of, if not the most emphasized point. We as officials are paid to uphold sportsmanship.

56. Platinum Unis
    2:41 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

Last time I checked, Kyle Kuric was white when he got Td up for looking at a player wrong following a sick dunk. The 3 Goggles are for the crowd; they shouldn’t even be considered in this conversation.

57. Sheeeeiiit
    3:33 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

I get that sportsmanship is a big issue. But I just watched WVU get ripped off at Syracuse by some bad refs though. They Totally missed an obvious goal tending with 6 seconds remaining. No review or discussion just a bad job by the officials. This happens more often than refs missing technicals on players and coaches. If the officials didnt insert themselves into games so much and they did a better job of not missing calls, people might be more open to letters by guys like Adams. It looks like Adams is just diverting attention from the sorry officiating this year. They want to Put the spotlight on the players and the coaches and take it off of the refs. Even if the refs are held accountable for this terrible call today WVU still got screwed.

58. mashburnfan1
    3:37 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

West Wirginia vs Cuse game today had 3 techs in it. ad thing is refs then blow an obvious goal tending call with 6 sconds left that would have tied game. I agree sportsman ship is needed and needs to be enforced but on flip side the officiating is getting worse. Lets first focus on getting calls right then the other stuff will take care of itself.

59. blueinmemphis
    3:03 pm January 30, 2012 Permalink

Just as a final comment on this, missing a call and calling technical fouls/enforcing sporstmanship are 2 totally different things. You can’t say “spend less time enforcing sportsmanship so you can make the right calls”. Officials ARE trying to do BOTH of these things. None want to make mistakes, but officials are: newsflash, “human”, i.e., capable of error.

That may sound snarky, but come on, have you ever tried to run up and down a basketball court at top speed while trying to make bang-bang calls that require instantaneous AND correct judgment, where you don’t always have the angle to make the right determination, despite all efforts? D1 basketball, not to mention NBA, are high-speed sports. And officials don’t have the perfect angle on every play, no slow motion replay, no multiple angles cameras to rely on.

If you think you are tough-skinned, try officiating on for size. You may find otherwise…I used to be a fan-only for 30 UK ranting years, but after 25 years of officiating, I just see the game a little differently now. I don’t expect perfection out of officials anymore than I do from players or coaches. I assume they are all trying their best.