Are we going to see a changed Rick Pitino?

PitinoEyes

There’s an old saying that states “money will change a man.” In college basketball, wealth is measured by national championships.

This season’s NCAA tournament capped off with an ‘old money’ in Pitino guy striking big for the first time in a long time. The two big Ricky P stories seemed to show a side of him that we haven’t seen in a while. First, Pitino seals the deal on the tattoo he promised to get. Then, he turns up smiling in a photo with supposed archi-nemesis Coach Cal. Even though they apparently weren’t dining together (see this post below), I do think there’s a good chance  we’re going to see a changed Pitino with new energy until he retires.

It may still be championship month and his smile may be the effect of some sort of long-lasting endorphine high, but there will be certainly be lasting effects from his title with our rival this year. Since the arrival of Calipari, along with the Karen Sypher fiasco, Pitino previously seemed to be aging at an astronomical rate. He looked in poor health, hair graying faster than the stylist could add dye. His antics began to seem desperate and bitter, barking at media members who questioned him and silhouetting insults towards Cal (however, he did seem oddly supportive after the Cats beat the Cards in the Final Four). He was also shopping for a secure job for his son and seemingly planning for his retirement. I really thought his days were about done, and that may seem like a continuation of Ally’s post earlier.

However, now Rick Pitino is inked up and smiling with Coach Cal. Two things I thought I’d NEVER say. It’s imagining how a successful championship season can change a man. And I think he just added a few more year’s worth of energy into his system. Good for him. I hope he sees the light in all of this again.

Now let’s see if he continue to be amiable or goes back to his recent bitter self.

Article written by Chris Thomas

46 Comments for Are we going to see a changed Rick Pitino?

1. me
    9:48 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

WIGGINS POST PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Mack
    9:49 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Why as KSR become the official pitino website?

3. Greer
    9:50 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Whats the point? Get off his jock, who cares about that ghoul. Lets talk uk…

4. G-Man
    9:51 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

3 Pitino post in a row? Is this Cardinal Sports Radio? Pitiful.

5. bluebeard
    9:52 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Stop.

6. Dick
    9:53 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

No shit. Just don’t post anything than this junk

7. iucansuckabigblue.....
    9:53 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

No one cares about “Lil Brother”

We are the Wildcats!

8. Hudson
    9:54 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Are we really making hay out of Pitino smiling in a picture? Isn’t that what people do?

9. jake
    9:55 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

the obsession with Pitino is unreal

10. BlueKolonel
    9:56 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Seriously KSR, ENOUGH ABOUT PITINO. WHO CARES???
    We’re not Louisville (by that I mean we aren’t infatuated with what our rival is doing as opposed to our own business). C’mon Matt put a stop to this, if it’s a slow news day I’d rather have fewer posts than a bunch of Pitino junk.
    Also, if he knows about KSR he would LOVE to know he is getting this much attention on a Cats site.

11. Oogie
    9:56 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

OK, I have to agree… The Pitino/UL stuff is over the top. Y’all must be real hard up for anything to say.

12. Shelbyjoe
    9:58 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I think the above pic wa taken he day after his face lift

13. Chaz
    10:01 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

My backwoods background makes me say- You’ve milked that Pitino teat till it’s dryer than a bleached bone. Stop It!

14. msnthrop
    10:01 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

All Pitino, All the time…KSR makes me laugh

15. Sick-O-Rick
    10:01 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

WTF…….is this KSR or PSR? ENOUGH!

16. klj
    10:01 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

dude what the hell. stop posting about him and lousiville. this is so annoying. and before someone says “oh if you dont like it then you dont have to read KSR”. WEll i love reading KSR but these posts just kill it

17. RahRah
    10:05 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Lol, now you’re just messing with us, aren’t you, ksr? Hilarious.

18. big O
    10:08 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Right on #16. I am beginning to wonder if Ricky P has bought stock in KSR. Much rather see KSR post Andrew Wiggins took a deep breath today.

19. James
    10:11 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

No more pitino post. Here is the thing no one cares about the dirty cards and their welfare, food stamps fans. If its a slow news day just post pics of pretty girls.

20. Agreed
    10:12 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Never posted about the Louisville content on here, but my goodness it has gotten out of hand. Whichever one of you on the staff have the man crush on him need to seek therapy immediately and leave the writing to UK sportswriter. Good lawd!

21. FranktheTank
    10:14 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Just show more pics of that chick and shut up.

22. Agreed
    10:18 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Always been a loyal reader, but think I need to visit a different site so I can actually read something about UK. Any suggestions?

23. Enuff is snuff
    10:19 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Let’s play a game like I used to play with my kids and see if we can go the rest of the week without a post about Pitino and/or U of Smell! If you can make it I’ll buy you an ice cream cone! Seriously, enough is enough! I never go on Smell sites but I may have to to read about UK if they post as much about us as KSR does about them!

24. Karen Sypher
    10:19 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Please, I’ve had enough Pitino…

25. klj
    10:20 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

http://www.aseaofblue.com is a pretty good site 22

26. catastic
    10:25 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

What ever happen to Louisville doesn’t exist, and we dont move the needle we are the needle . Aren’t we the fu**ing University of Kentucky lets act like IT!!!!!!# the dirty birds should be obsessed with us not the other way around, what the hell ever happen to teach me about Kentucky KSR needs to get the SWAG back more WBA rap videos less pitino crap point blank period ……

27. Wild Blue
    10:26 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Matt…Please get some bloggers with creativity and an imagination. This crap about Pitino and U of L all the time makes me want to puke. I think I may sign off KSR until August when football starts. Maybe your staff will have this out of their system by then.

28. Agreed
    10:34 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Thanks #25. I also watched a good clip just now of an interview Beisner did on ICN2 that was high quality… you know like this place used to be… when Beisner was here.

29. Jen
    10:37 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I honestly don’t want to read about Pitino. I don’t hate the guy. It’s relevant to mention him, especially in context of this photo with our coach, but beyond that I have no interest in all of the aspects of everything Pitino that this site is recently exploring.

30. Agreed
    10:39 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Ha, my comment is awaiting moderation because I shared a link to a competitor that is actually delivering a better product.

31. Catlogic15
    10:39 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Funny, we all complain about UL related posts but it gets worse! Matt about to expand to UL interests. Time for someone to compete with KSR. It’s wide open.

32. Josh
    10:41 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

PLEASE NO MORE UL AND PITINO

33. Buckets
    10:43 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Are we going to see five more Pitino posts tonight? How many more tomorrow? Give it a rest. He’s not our coach anymore so who gives a crap about Pitino?

34. Margaret Sanger
    10:43 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

If there is any noticeable change in Coach Pitino, it’s that he’s now obviously pro-choice

35. Agreed
    10:44 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

The best part is not too long ago they challenged themselves not to mention Wiggins during the radio show. Why the blip can’t they do that about all things UL/Pitino.

36. Matt Jones
    10:44 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

GO CARDS, its now called CSR. Ever since they won it all, they’re all i seem to talk about. Cant wait til football, have u seen that QB… wow!!

37. Guiseppe the Waiter
    10:45 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I don’t like the Pitino. He make a mess of the tables. Mamma mia.

38. UKBlue1!
    10:50 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I hate UofL. Pitino is trader. He knew when he took the job he was going to a rival. Dean Smith would have never left to take the job at Duke. Coach K would never leave to go to Carolina. To HELL with Pitino and UL. UL fans suck.

39. UL Fan
    10:51 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Stop posting about us and we wont get on anymore, otherwise we’ll continue to get all our UL news here. “Hop off” as they say

40. cardfan
    10:51 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Thanks KSR! as a UofL fan, I have literally been visiting this site nearly as frequently as some of the Louisville websites. You all post more about Louisville than ESPN.com. I can’t remember the last time cardchronicle.com had a post relating to the cayuts whatsoever.

41. BlueTexan
    10:52 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I don’t care about Ricky P…please move on KSR…

42. raekwon
    10:58 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

I know it is a slow week (apparently) but why not post ridiculous derby news? Oh wait, that’s in Louisville. Geesh, stop hating. Jefferson Co has the most UK fans in the state.

43. Rick Pitino
    10:59 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Life is good when even the bluebloods cant stop talking about the Cards. thanks for showing love guys!

44. KT
    11:11 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

The guy seems to be genuinely trying to be a decent human being the last 2-3 years, possibly humbled somewhat from the Karen Sypher fiasco coupled with a lot of disappointment at UofL until the last two years. Being a decent guy for 2 years after you were a jerk for 40 years hardly seems to offset each other though but I commend the effort.

45. Boogie
    12:38 am May 1, 2013 Permalink

I was a somewhat young in the Pitino era. I love beating louisville more so because of the louisville fans. I really don’t dislike Pitino. but I also wouldn’t say I like him.

46. Serious Message
    1:21 am May 1, 2013 Permalink

Staff and Editors:
    Please Fw this open letter to the managing ed.

You should know that I plan on keeping up with news primarily from other sites until this one gets its act back together about this Louisville newsflood, and will resume readership when it ceases. I can assure you, both based on the other comments and as a loyal reader that checks the site multiple times daily, that many people feel the same way, and statistically, most of those who move on to another site are unlikely to return, barring their new site having a cluster like this happen to it down the road too.

– Markeiting professional and former recepient of the Enoch Grehan award for excellence in journalism, from the UK school of journalism. Take it for what you will.