Are The Hokies Next?

With Texas A&M apparently on board, the SEC is rumored to be continuing their search for at least one more team to round things out and help them meet their maroon conference quota.  According to those that spoke with our very own Matt Jones, that team might end up being Virginia Tech.  Matt Tweeted out earlier that the Hokies were the likely recipient of the next invitation, with Missouri being the likely back-up plan.  In terms of value for the SEC, there’s a legitimate football program, a sound recruiting base, a new television market and, I hate to say it, a pretty underrated basketball environment.  In fact, it was my favorite stop of our CBS College Basketball Road Trip.

The following video isn’t all that impressive until you consider the game was delayed four hours, there was a blizzard outside, the arena had no running water or working bathrooms and Hubby was breaking hearts at H-O-R-S-E.

Virginia Tech? Yes please!

Article written by Thomas Beisner

24 Comments for Are The Hokies Next?

1. Ghostofbearbryant
    10:27 pm August 12, 2011 Permalink

Yes, Slive is tossing and turning all nite worried about their basketball environment.

2. catnuts
    10:35 pm August 12, 2011 Permalink

My vote goes to Virginia Tech. Bring em on. I actually like VT football. They have one of the best, if not the best, coach in the nation. SEC is already like a mini NFL this will only make us better.

3. secisdominate
    10:38 pm August 12, 2011 Permalink

Heck yeah… I’ve been waiting on it!

4. UKFan_22
    10:41 pm August 12, 2011 Permalink

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:54 pm August 12, 2011 Permalink

I’d rather have Va Tech than Maryland. No real reason, just like the Hokies better from a fan standpoint.

6. Jim Bob
    11:08 pm August 12, 2011 Permalink

Every ACC team that leaves opens up the possibility that Louisville could get an invite to join the conference. I would guess they would be 6th or 7th on the totem pole right now, but if the Big 10/SEC start raiding ACC teams they may be forced to take them, so Im hoping we stick to the Big 12 for our expansion teams.

7. Brummy
    11:31 pm August 12, 2011 Permalink

It should be Florida State, not Va. Tech…Florida State is fast rising in recruiting and gonna be back to prominence in football shortly…You want a monopoly on Florida’s football recruits??? Think Noles and Gators in the same conference…And think of that already intense rivalry getting even MORE heated, not to mention the possible BCS implications of the game…Also bringing in A&M for a toe in the Texas recruiting pool and football’s future looks even brighter in the SEC (hard to imagine)…lol…And FSU does go to the tournament in basketball quite bit…And an every year College World Series contender (if you care)…No lose situation…No-brainer in my book.

8. bosshogg24
    11:45 pm August 12, 2011 Permalink

I can’t understand why anyone would want Virginia Tech. Why not North Dakota State? Florida State or Louisville!

9. Jeff
    11:50 pm August 12, 2011 Permalink

I hope they bring in VT and break the SEC into north and south divisions. The North: UK, Vandy, Tenn, Ark, SC, UGA, VT.

South: Florida, Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, LSU, T&M

10. Common Sense
    12:04 am August 13, 2011 Permalink

#6: Some conferences actually require good academics to belong to them. This would leave Louisville out of both the Big Ten and ACC, imo.

#7: The Florida market is already achieved with UF, the idea is to expand into new markets. Virginia Tech allows the SEC to get into the D.C. market and closer to the Northeast. I don’t see how Florida State would make sense, unless its an expansion to 16 teams…even then, that’s where I think NC State is getting love as Charlotte and Raleigh would be new.

I think Mizzu would hold out for the Big Ten, it seems like a better fit both academically and geographically. But what do I know…most people don’t believe in common sense.

11. Old Number
    12:17 am August 13, 2011 Permalink

JUST SAY NO to VT- talk about a dirty, crooked football program… THUGS- old Frank runs a goon squad
    -Also, the people are nasty- a friend’s grandmother (WVU fan) was spit at in Blacksburg at a football game- an elderly woman! VT fans are trash, the football program is crooked- Please no SEC, not VT
    -BBN, if this happens, get ready to defend yourselves physically at the football games… seriously

12. vacat
    12:29 am August 13, 2011 Permalink

Tech is a terrible mix of Duke and UT. Trust me I know, I’ve lived in VA for most of my life and the I despise VT they have the snobby aura of Duke and the obnoxious qualities (and orangeish color) of Tennessee. Tech would be a terrible choice. Plus they’re scared to play in the SEC.

I say bring in FSU or Clemson, not VaTech.

13. The Real Wedding Planner
    12:34 am August 13, 2011 Permalink

Do you guys realize we will never win a game in Football?

14. shadaowboxer
    12:55 am August 13, 2011 Permalink

From what i read on ESPN, FSU is next.

15. Catfan in KC
    1:02 am August 13, 2011 Permalink

Agree with common sense–

Except for the fact that Missouri can totally fit culturally with the Southeast-I think that you are right with VT and NCSU adding DC, Charlotte, Raleigh, and Richmond–But if TAMU leaves the big 12, Mizzou will flee to another conference. I do not think The Big 10 will add Mizzou, and I think they know it. As well, they want the money–thats the whole reason they want to leave the Big 12–SEC brings the cash. Mizzou adds some decent size markets–Kansas City, St Louis, Springfield, Joplin–and adds another AAU school to the SEC. If you add TAMU, MU, NCSU, and VT–thats a ton of new TV viewers.

16. Fort Worth Cats Fan
    1:46 am August 13, 2011 Permalink

TAMU, VA TECH, WVU, FSU. Natural rivalries. Plus, UofL is still on the outside looking in too. That’s it. That’s the list. Chat amongst yourselves….

17. Fort Worth Cats Fan
    1:54 am August 13, 2011 Permalink

free the sortleader

18. Fort Worth Cats Fan
    2:41 am August 13, 2011 Permalink

TAMU,VA TECH, FSU, and WVU. Natural rivalries instilled. Plus, UofL would still be on the outside looking in. Mizzou in a pinch. That’s it. That’s the list.

Free sortleader2!

19. MtnCat
    6:49 am August 13, 2011 Permalink

A&M has a lot to offer the SEC. So do Missouri, Va Tech, and Oklahoma.
    I can see Florida State, Maryland, or three more old Southwest Conference rivals coming with A&M. NC State or Oklahoma State would be a stretch. Would love to add North Carolina but that ain’t happening. A 16 team conference is the future and media market share is the motivation.

20. Matt
    8:29 am August 13, 2011 Permalink

11 – For any WVU fan to claim a VT fan was rude is hilarious. It’s a terrible rivalry and WVU fans have no room to talk about anything (and I’m a WVU fan).

As for it being a crooked program, VT is no different than any other program – they recruit some iffy kids from Hampton Roads, but who doesn’t?

70% of their grads end up in DC – so if they would go to the SEC it opens up the DC market. Their fans travel very well everywhere. Granted, they’re a bit obnoxious and think they’re the best thing since sliced bread – but we’re Kentucky fan. We don’t have that much room to talk.

21. BellCountyFootballFan
    9:19 am August 13, 2011 Permalink

@20 amen!

The only people talkin trash on here are UVA fans. VT is a great team and would be a great add for the SEC. I’ve always been a Hokie football fan. Oklahoma and Missouri are also great adds.

22. UK rifle > WVU rifle
    11:21 am August 13, 2011 Permalink

Matt Jones, just remember that back in march of 2010 I told you that TAMU and VT would join the SEC and you ignored me! 😉

both are CoC schools, and fit the SEC fanbase while extending the SEC footprint to big population states of VA and TX

sometimes us really old folks in the BBN are not as dumb or crazy as we appear! – PS, the Keeneland offer still stands and you have my email.

23. jet
    11:23 am August 13, 2011 Permalink

24. wink
    1:36 pm August 13, 2011 Permalink

Thats a joke right Old Number. A WVU fan calling another school trash and saying they are thugs with bad student athletes. Ha