Archie works out for the Brooklyn Nets

Goodwin_Archie_TV Head 12-13

Yesterday, Archie Goodwin worked out for the Brooklyn Nets and got some pretty good reviews. According to Nets Director of Player Personnel Gregg Polinsky, Goodwin looked really good in the dribble drive, and was a “creator, athletic finisher at the rim with a good wing span.” Goodwin worked out alongside Reggie Bullock and Tony Snell, all three of which Polinsky says will be considered in the first round.

Archie told the NY Post’s Fred Kerber that he’s received good feedback in all seven of his workouts so far:

“I’ve gotten quality feedback. I’ve been one of the top guys, if not the top guy, in my workouts. So a lot of teams have been saying a lot of quality things,” said Goodwin who says his best NBA strength is “my attacking style. I’m very aggressive. I can get into the lane. I never had a problem with that, getting into the lane and making plays for teammates.”

Interestingly, he says he is best suited for the point guard position, despite being labeled as a two guard: “With the ball in my hands I can do a lot more. I like to operate with the ball in my hands. I’m a playmaker.”

Goodwin also told ZagsBlog’s Josh Newman that part of the reason he feels ready for the NBA is John Calipari:

“It definitely helped me because he expects so much from his guys. All the things he put us through during the year really helped me to transition from there to here. He’s a big factor. He talks to guys all the time for me, stays in their ear. He’s always a constant, nagging gnat towards these GMs in letting them know about me, so I appreciate him for that.”

Prior to his workout yesterday morning, a veteran NBA scout told ZagsBlog that Archie’s jump shot “needs a lot of work” and he’s got “a long, hard road ahead of him.” Archie says he’s got ten more workouts lined up before the draft, and although chose not to return to Kentucky for his sophomore season, the Cats are definitely a title contender:

“That’s a national championship contender. They have the talent, the toughness and the competitive spirit, so as long as they put all that together, they’ll be fine.”

Burr.

32 Comments for Archie works out for the Brooklyn Nets

1. Delk for 3
    12:04 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

Best of luck Archie.

2. Druk
    12:04 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

Get ready for d league chump,

3. Number 2
    12:06 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

I bet your team gets bounced out of the intramural leagues in the first round.

4. The Rock
    12:11 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

#2 The Rock says, you need to take your jabronie self and find the exit from the Big Blue Nation. The Rock says, people like you give our fanbase a bad name. The Rock says if you ever, and i mean EVER say garbage like that again, he will find you take a basketball, twist that “sum” bitch sideways and shove it straight up your candy ass!!!!! IF YOU SMEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL WHAT THE ROCK IS………….COOKING!!!!!!

5. Willyb
    12:12 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

Who cares he was here one year on a terrible team. Whoever drafts him it’s a wasted pick.

6. Boogie
    12:17 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

Archie is a point guard. As bad at it as he was those few games in college, he’s a point guard in the NBA. He won’t learn in the D league. He needs to go up against a good point guard in practice and get destroyed every day. He has too much confidence in himself. I think these quotes prove that. “I’m the top guy” …please Goodwin……

7. The Rock
    12:17 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

#5 The Rock says, i might have to come whip your candy ass aswell. The Rock says, the true big blue fans support each and every player no matter what. Archie chose to play here, he chose UK and sick fans like you and #2 can go jump in a lake for all The Rock cares. The Rock says he would whip you faster than Kobe Bryant in a hotel!!! IF YOU SMEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL WHAT THE ROCK IS……..COOKING!!!!

8. Harrow dunks
    12:20 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

In hindsight, we should have left Archie at the point all last year

9. Archie sucked
    12:29 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

7 are you a six year old boy. No respectable grown men watch wrestling. Get laid looser

10. Archie sucked
    12:30 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

Dork

11. Delk for 3
    12:30 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

Nothing I hate more than fans hating on a kid because he left school to pursue dreams, and also because he wasn’t part of a better team last season. What is wrong with you people?

12. BUCats
    12:32 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

Jason Kidd would be a great coach to play for as a rookie

13. They Feet
    12:32 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

We’ll be safe.

14. tyson
    12:36 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

“I never had a problem with that, getting into the lane and making plays for teammates.”

One half of the above statement is true Archie. Or were you talking about the rebounding opportunities in the few times you weren’t called for a charge?

15. I Say
    12:59 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

I would love to see Archie go to the Nets. I’d much rather watch our cats play on good/playoff teams who can win. I hate how all of the KSR writers would rather see 2 or 3 former cats play together on the Bobcats or some other crappy team and lose every game. I want to see our former players flourish and win with other pro’s.

16. GrumpyOldDude
    1:02 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

I wish him well, but will not miss one of the more selfish players we’ve had at UK….well, ever. Not even once did I see stories about him out helping in the community or even comically interacting with fans, as so many have done.

17. andrew
    1:03 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

Well ya know, #9 and #10, your statement is very ironic since you resort to name calling. isn’t that what elementary kids do? Also, judging by your grammar you weren’t very educated in school, if you even went, because it would be *loser* not looser, unless you was refering to your mom? See I can do childish references to! Please crawl back into your cave now. Yes, this is the same guy that did The Rock impersonations. Live life a little carefree, don’t take everything to heart.

18. Harv
    1:09 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

I believe it’s, “I can do childish references too.” Not to. Dumbass.

19. Andrew
    1:16 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

#18 wrong again! you use *too* when you’re describing sommething as *too hot*, *too much money*, *too cold* ect.

20. Andrew
    1:16 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

*something*

21. Wilcher's Biceps
    1:29 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

“Too” would be used in that instance too…

I still love The Rock though! When I’m not ballin’ out on every level in China, I think of him when I do curls!

22. 1fan
    1:29 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

eat they feet

23. JD
    1:45 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

Wish you the best Archie – most on this thread are not real UK fans, trust me, they are haters from other fan bases. Thanks for being a CAT and hope you have a great career in the NBA.

24. CatsFan
    1:54 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

#19. No, you grammatically challenged fool. “Too” is used in place of ‘as well’ or ‘also’ TOO. You really are going to respond to someone correcting your grammar properly and try to crow about your incorrect assumption that they are the one who is wrong? That’s bad on every level. Moron.

25. I Say
    1:57 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

Both of you are pompous douche bags arguing over grammar

26. Rockfield, KY
    2:08 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

While he doesn’t have a problem getting in the lane, he’s never been prone to making plays for his teammates. We all know when he gets in the lane, he throws up a wild shot off the backboard and/or gets called for a charge. If he ever does learn to faciliate, though, he’ll be tough to handle. Then he’ll have to work on that jumper when people start laying off him. (see Rondo)

27. OUCH
    2:29 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

My number represents the number of years since UK’s last win over Florida in football. (27)

28. Melvit
    3:38 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

#27 How many years have you been waiting to do that?

29. mudcreekmark
    5:40 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

So Archie never had a problem with getting into the lane and making plays for his team mates huh? I could probably count on one hand the number of times he drove to the basket and found a team mate for an open shot.No, I take that back, I can probably count on one finger how many times he actually drove to the basket and passed the ball to an open team mate.

30. mudcreekmark
    5:46 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

Archie threw the ball twice in one game that hit his team mate in the back on fast breaks. He is not a point guard and will never be a point guard. He has zero basketball I.Q. If he hasn’t learned how to play the game by this age, what makes you think he is all of sudden wake up one day and be a basketball genius? You either have that feel for the game or you don’t and he don’t.

31. Get Out
    5:50 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

#9-You need your butt kicked, you sniveling coward. Show your face and step up like a Man.

32. Katdaddy
    8:23 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

If we had a deeper bench last year we probably wouldn’t be having this conversation. Because Archie was terrible most of the time. And he isn’t a very good team player. But i do wish the young man the best.