Archie is back in Chad Ford’s Top 30

Goodwin_Archie_TV Head 12-13

With a little help from James Michael McAdoo and Marcus Smart, Archie Goodwin snuck back in the Top 30 on Chad Ford’s NBA Draft big board. Goodwin moved up to No. 29 from 31 after McAdoo and Smart announced their returns to college basketball. Nerlens Noel is still holding down that top spot as the projected No. 1 overall pick, according to Ford.

NBADraft.net updated its 2013 mock draft early this morning and the website currently has Archie going in the 2nd round with the 37th overall pick to the Wizards. NBADraft.net predicts Kansas’ Ben McLemore will go first overall to the Charlotte Bobcats.

DraftExpress.com must be on vacation.

“This Kentucky team will be the first in basketball history where players declared for the NBA draft because they feared they couldn’t play on their college team if they came back.” ~ Jay Bilas

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for Archie is back in Chad Ford’s Top 30

1. Musehobo
    11:35 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Congrats to Archie! As a UK Wildcat I wish you all the luck in your new future.

2. Goggles Up
    11:36 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

I am a huge KY fan, but that kid played for no one but himself this year. I think this was Cals problem child and I don’t see him being very successful in the pros

3. UKBlue1!
    11:37 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Archie Goodwin has a lot of work to do. I wish him well but who ever advised him to go PRO is no friend. He could have used another year or 2 at the college level. My opinion is the lifestyle he would have have had at UK compared to the D league has got to be better. If he would have stayed a couple of years he might have been a lottery pick in 2015.

4. roydillard
    11:40 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Archie would have been a cancer on this years team! Sad to say but true.. Good luck in the NBA..

5. I Say
    11:40 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Archie will be a better pro than he was a college player. There are a lot of guys like that. With that said Archie was one of my favorite players on this years team and I wish him nothing but success

6. TN Cat
    11:41 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Drew using the Bilas quote to pimp slap Archie.

7. Goggles Up
    11:42 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

3&4 Couldn’t agree more, he has the potential to be great once he starts playing for his team and learns how to slow down and speed up. A lot of work to do

8. NathanJ
    11:42 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

So Archie basically had to choose between 1-2 extra years in college to develop in a proven system or take the “sugar high” easy-in to the draft in a weak year.

This will pay negative dividends for years and years for him.

I still wish him the best, though.

9. help
    11:43 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

does anyone know if you can watch the nike hoop summit anywhere on the internet?

10. Idiots talkin' out of their butt
    11:45 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

#2 Please shut your ignorant mouth. Archie Goodwin gave his heart to this team. Not every freshman can be Brandon Knight or Anthony Davis. Archie comes from a very troubled past, and he has come so far in life, and you could tell how hard of a worker he is all season long. Quit running your mouth about a kid you know nothing about. Ryan Harrow was the problem child. Not Archie. If you’ve ever met Archie, you’d know how kindhearted he is, and there is no doubt, when Nerlens went down, Archie put this team on his back many times. If Archie had come in any other year than this year where UK struggled, everyone would love him.

Best of luck Archie. I’m sure you’ll be able to impress a few teams in the summer workouts and work your way up the draft.

11. sunnycat
    11:47 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Bilas speaks the truth.

5. 6’5′ guards are a dime a dozen in the NBA. And I don’t see where a guard who can’t shoot or handle the ball has much of a chance.

12. LOL
    11:47 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Love the sentence: Quit running your mouth about a kid you know nothing about. Ryan Harrow was the problem child.

13. paducahfan
    11:48 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Who cares where he is ranked?

14. Goggles Up
    11:56 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

#10 haha I love how you know soo much about Archies troubled past. You’re a trip. Bet the kid doesn’t last 5 years in the league. I love UK but this kid was not ready for the lime light and he is selfish. He won’t last.

15. Bravo
    11:59 am April 17, 2013 Permalink

Number 10 gets drilled but he is correct.

16. AirFare
    12:01 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

See ya overseas. Can you speak Italian?

17. True Story
    12:02 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

If you need confirmation that every team in college BB pretty much sucked this year, you need look no further than these two facts:
    1) The top pick in the draft is a guy who hurt his knee halfway through the season
    2) The ‘national champions’ only have one guy late in the 1st round.

YewUvEll, simply the best of the worst.

18. jwmsix
    12:05 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

#14 So he makes it 4 or 5 years, he will have made a lot of money. Then be able to play in another country or coach. Your statements are dumb.

19. Scott Baio
    12:11 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

I get were some of you are coming from saying Archie was selfish, but in my opinion he was the only one on the team that had the balls to step up try to take over during adversity. Nerlens is an exception, but it’s really hard for a big man to take over a game if his teamates weren’t getting him the ball, and Nerlens was injured late in the season. Julius tried but didn’t have the athleticisim to trully take over, because he couldn’t create his own shot.
    Archie will be a good pro, if he works on his shot,tempo, and gets picked up by the right team that will let him develop.
    I think Archie really needs to learn how to play the game. Unfortuanately, some of these 5* prospects play purely on athleticisim and it takes a few years for them to learn how to play the game and use that athleticisim correctly, i.e. John Wall.

20. Scott Baio
    12:12 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

*athleticism

21. NBA league pass
    12:17 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

I think he should have stayed until he was a JR. He would have dominated his JR year, been a top 10 pick for sure, and been more polished and NBA ready.
    I wish him the best, but he is not going to prosper in the NBA, I see him out of the league as well.

22. Just Sayn
    12:24 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

#18 you’re an idiot, 4-5 years isn’t going to set this kid for life. #10 is right he won’t make it

23. bluristhurr
    12:30 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Didn’t ever think I wouldn’t like a player but this guy I couldn’t stand watching play his AAU/pick up game style of ball. Good luck young man. #10 I bet you’ve never played organized ball, I bet half the team couldn’t stand playing with a guy who does nothing but drive the lane and takes his out of control shots. There was countless amount of times he could of dished it back out for an open shot or for a quick pump fake and drive by. If you asked me he helped us lose as much as he did win. Let me say I don’t really dislike him because he’s never done anything I’ve heard of, just couldn’t stand the way he played the game

24. STEVE!
    1:27 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Teague was drafted #29 this year and signed for $1.9MM for two years. If Archie is drafted 29th, and is able to get to a second contract, I would say he would make at least $6MM in four years. He could then – worst case – see the world in other leagues for a few more years. Not a bad start in life. I would take it.

25. Melvit
    2:07 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

#23 I don’t think #10 remembers Mays yelling at Archie to pass it. Archie was one of the players that hijacked the program. Yes, he tried real hard, but never listened to the coach.

26. tb4uk
    5:44 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Why so much hate for AG? He was the only one who could get his own shot(not always a good one)and almost beat UL beacause of his play.The boy showed effort.BBN needs to quit hating on one of our own.Save that for Duke or UL.

27. tb4uk
    5:46 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

because not beacause

28. KevinM
    5:49 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

#24, true….and who wouldn’t mind a million dollar offer of a job and not even have a degree?

Good luck to #10 and I hope he finds a roster spot or plenty of NBDL playing time…that sure didn’t hurt Lamb or TJones.