Archie Goodwin’s Thursday News and Views

One down. Shabazz Muhammad and a few others to go.

What a relief it is for Kentucky to finally have a verbal commitment from the class of 2012. It’s even better that it came from Archie Goodwin, one of the guys at the top of Coach Cal’s priority list. UK fans are going to love the way he fits into the dribble-drive system with his ability to attack the basket. The 6-foot-5 guard describes himself as a “relentless” player, and after playing all summer on a dislocated wrist, he told The Sporting News, “I could break my arm, and I’m still going to try to dunk it. That’s just the type of guy I am.” And that’s just the type of guy we’re looking for.

24 hours after picking Kentucky, Goodwin was already recruiting some of the other top recruits in the nation to join him in Lexington. He talked to Gary Harris and Torian Graham about the possibility of playing together and he’s had that same conversation in the past with Shabazz Muhammad.

“Me committing will probably get the ball rolling for the rest of the class. It’s got to start somewhere.”

We like the sound of that. Now let’s get you some News and Views before you fall over with excitement…

— The big news of the day was the end of Perry Ellis’ NBA dreams. Ellis chose the Jayhawks over the Cats, officially ruining any opportunity of being picked up in the first round of the NBA Draft. The 6-foot-8, 220-pound power forward said Kansas is where he feels most comfortable. “I love being around my family and Kansas was not too far and not too close,” Ellis said. “I’m excited about my choice.” Coach Cal had been recruiting Perry Ellis since his Memphis days so he must be disappointed in losing the kid. Although I don’t know if anyone is more disappointed than Larry Vaught. Vaught has been all over Perry Ellis since his precious Droid was just a pager clipped to his braided belt.

— The Atlanta Falcons haven’t sued Wichita Heights High School yet. Yet.

— The father of Gary Harris told Jody Demling that Archie Goodwin’s commitment to Kentucky doesn’t affect his son’s recruitment. Gary Harris Sr. told the C-J, “As a staff, that’s what they do. They get multiple players at the same position, many times its two guys that people think are a lot a like, and they make it work.” Coach Cal made an in-home visit to Harris on Monday and he’s currently working on bringing him to Lexington. The five-star recruit is playing football right now so it’s hard to set up a visit to Lexington.

— Just as Kentucky moves up Harris’ list, Louisville fell completely off. Harris is no longer considering Louisville, a team he had previously listed in his top five. Cutting the Cards from consideration wasn’t his call, either — Louisville doesn’t have a scholarship for him. There was only one scholarship available and Terry Rozier already took it. Harris is the No. 12 player in the nation. Rozier is unranked. Louisville First.

— While Archie Goodwin was getting ready to make his announcement Tuesday evening, Coach Cal made an in-home visit to DaJuan Coleman. “It was good,” he told SNY.tv. “He was telling me about the past players he developed. And he said he liked the way I play and he can bring the best out of me because he knows I can do multiple things on the court.” The 6-foot-8 big man is believed to be a Syracuse lean but he’ll be visiting Lexington for Big Blue Madness on October 14th. He says Kentucky, Syracuse, and Ohio State are all pretty equal right now.

— The staff was at Bullitt East watching Derek Willis on Wednesday afternoon. Willis, who decommitted from Purdue over the summer, is a top 20 player in the class of 2013. He holds offers from Louisville and Indiana.

— In a Q&A session on Tar Heel Illustrated, Mitch McGary said he’ll officially visit Kentucky sometime soon. This coming just a week after he said he doesn’t know if he’ll visit Kentucky. He might be saying something else next week. All we know for sure is that his parents love Duke. That’s not cool.

— Look at what happens when you let Boogie into Wildcat Lodge…

boogie-walkon

That’s Sam Malone’s bed.

But don’t worry, Boogie bought him new sheets

boogie-walkon2

… Just looking out for the new walk-on.

— Coach Cal made 45 consecutive free throws Wednesday evening while shooting with his son. He said his previous record was 38 in a row in 1978. After rebounding for his dad, the younger Calipari tweeted, “Old guy still has it.” I need video.

— Switching to football news, it looks like the offensive line we looked forward to watching this season is almost back to its normal rotation. Matt Smith, Billy Joe Murphy, and Larry Warford all practiced and looked good. Smith will make his first start of the season this Saturday but Joker is leaning towards starting freshman Darrian Miller over Billy Joe Murphy. All the guys are finally getting healthy again and playing together for the first time since camp. Look for Kentucky to rotate at least seven guys on the o-line against Florida.

— A lot of the talk this week has been of Kentucky’s success using the no-huddle offense against Louisville. Morgan Newton called it “just another option” and he isn’t for or against using it. As someone outside of the huddle, I’m all for it because it seemed like the only time Kentucky was doing anything on offense. However, Newton said the offense will just try to make plays in whatever situation they’re put in.

— Florida is fast. Very, very fast.

— It has been a long road for Mister Cobble and he’ll make his first start for the Wildcats against Florida. Cobble will line up next to fellow 300-pounder Donte Rumph to try to slow down Florida’s rushing attack. Luke McDermott will likely come in for passing situations.

— And for you mediocre football fans, a package carrying 2.5 pounds of marijuana was shipped to an address in Kentucky where two Bengals players reside. California police tracked the package to a home in Crestview Hills owned by Bengals wide receiver Jerome Simpson. Simpson shares the place with offensive tackle Anthony Collins and a man named Aleen Smith, who signed for the package. Inside the home police allegedly found six more pounds of marijuana, other empty parcels, scales and packaging material. All three men were questioned but no arrests were made at the time. WHO DEY!!!!

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

41 Comments for Archie Goodwin’s Thursday News and Views

1. Joker sucks
    11:18 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

I tried out for the Bengals, but I was unable to sign with the team. They require (2) felonies per player. I only have (1).

2. mashburnfan1
    11:26 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

I like Goodwin, now we need Mitch and Shabazz to join and I could care less who else after that. We get Mitch, Archie and Shabazz and we are looking good for a run at #8. My 4th choice is Alex. Not high on Coleman but if we get my top 3 he would be a nice 4th recruit or 5th with Alex.

3. AL EAST CHAMPS
    11:27 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Yankees Win!! THeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee YANKEES WIN!!!! SUCK it BOSTON!!

4. Doron aka Cold Buckets
    11:28 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

As a Boston fan, all I can say is thank you Yankees. This is an epic meltdown and the only thing keeping us in first is the Rays losing.

5. Red Sox
    11:37 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Ummmm, Yanks winning helps the Sox in the wildcard race. Just sayin’.

6. You Can Call Me Cal
    11:38 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

what is the story about what happened to those sheets? Did Boogie eat a creamsicle and throwup?

7. Drew the Employee
    11:42 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

6 pounds of weed & no arrests? Poor Samaki, he eats a few grams & gets hemmed up. #Cruelworld

8. Walden Schmidt
    11:44 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

Our man Boogie, gotta love him.

9. Manbearpig
    11:50 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

#8 Can you repeat that in English and less line beard please?

10. Cat fan in TN
    11:51 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

8) if you call getting beat by a TD getting “owned”, then yeah, UK got “owned”. L Yeah!! Bball season is right around the corner, let’s roll in top recruits and hang banners while UL fans talk about Mikey 2 Dope shooting too many 3’s and how Siva is still better than John Wall.

11. Joker sucks
    11:58 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

KENTUCKY FOOTBALL SUCKS!!!! Joker is killing this program faster than Tubby killed the Basketball program. Then again, Rich Brooks sucked too. He loaded up on cupcakes and won just enough games to make a bowl each year, but the SEC crushed Brooks……..But I guess he had the bowl game thing going for him. Joker will NEVER see a bowl game from this point forward.

12. Blaineman
    11:58 pm September 21, 2011 Permalink

I went to school w/ this dumbass Jerome Simpson. CCU my alma mater. lol. He fits in perfectly w/the bengals

13. 44 Stitches
    12:05 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

Haha the Falcons haven’t sued Wichita Heights yet. I live in Atlanta and out of the 443 high schools in Georgia that are a part of GHSA I would be willing to bet that 30% of them do the same thing and rip off college and pro teams logos. Some like Perry Ellis’s H.S. even use the same color schemes as well.

14. buckets2378
    12:09 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

#2 — dude, we are looking good for a run at #8 THIS YEAR

15. tdogg4033011
    12:11 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

2) we’ll be going for #8?? When Goodwin and that class arrive at UK, they’ll be trying
    to repeat and make a run at #9 …….

16. JLL84
    12:28 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

And for you mediocre football fans? Come on Drew we’re reading a UK blog we’re all mediocre football fans.

17. Bill
    1:17 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

16. Dumbest thing I’ve ever Heard… They are going to crush the NCAA’s so bad this year that they’ll give us 2 and we’ll be going for 10.. Cats by 90

18. SagaciousMind
    2:14 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

So basically they have 8.5lbs of weed in their house and no one got arrested? Damn, I’d be arrested if they found a 8th of an oz on me. But, I like seein McGary is gonna take an offical to UK and hopefully it’ll be madness. Sucks his parents like Duke, but they havent visited UK yet and madness would be the perfect time for momma and daddy to visit. And I have said UK needs to do hurry up. It works for Oregon. And it worked for us in past years, pretty sure hurry up is basically how we beat LSU that year. They need to do somethin and mix it up, not give Florida’s defense time to read plays or substitute. But, Joker has no balls and he wont do that. Also, Boogie is the man. I hope he’s around next week durin campin for madness.

19. SagaciousMind
    2:54 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

11, i dont know whats worse, UL fans thinkin Siva is better than Wall, or them startin a facebook page sayin Kyle Kuric is better than Terrence Jones. Crazy envious Loserville fans!

20. jmfatz47
    2:58 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

I don’t like the way our team responds to joker. Seems like they are befuddled w playcalling. Hell, I still burn from us not going with Cobb or conner when we were in the goal line against UT back in 09. Many other examples. All joker then too………..

21. Calipari'sInYourEar
    4:06 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

I’m wondering when these people will quit bitching about football.

Take a midol ladies… Joker isn’t calling the plays, and our offense has a lot of growth to do.

If you girls would go back to your shitty lives and let football fans watch the team grow we would really appreciate it. So would your wives.

22. Powerlifter165
    6:19 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

Maybe those Bengals players should change their name like Chad Johnson… to Chic and Chong or Bluntman and Chronic.

23. Powerlifter165
    6:26 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

Doh… that’s Cheech not chic..

24. "Jamal" Vitale
    7:10 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

Louisville is “Tupid”

25. bung
    7:12 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

McGary is the answer

26. MacGruber
    7:45 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

Nice butterfly comforter, I hope that is a chick’s room.

27. Sid Bream's Leg
    7:52 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

It’s interesting seeing on ESPN’s college basketball page that Archie Goodwin committing to the Cats is front page, yet nothing whatsoever about Ellis picking Kansas. Love it.

28. Porcini's table #2
    7:54 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

WOAH!!!!!!! Man I ain’t seen a mess like that since that time 3 Stacks had that skank on me.

29. Al's IndiCats
    8:03 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

OWNED? We got owned by a td? Then I guess you must’ve got owned by FIU. By the way, isn’t that called Florida International and isn’t that an Airport right out of Jacksonville? So that means you “GOT” owned by the flying skycaps. But whatever! You all will be scrambling to find a conference that will accept you like….ummmm……lets see……well heck you’ll be back home in the good ol’ USA. Of course that’ll be C-USA

30. FairyPerry
    8:18 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

If it makes you feel any better, at least Archie gets a headline on ESPN and Fairy Perry didn’t get squat!

31. Major
    8:27 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

This year’s offense is beginning to remind me of Andre Woodson’s first year when we could not move the ball at all until we went no huddle. Then things clicked, but the next game we would be back in the same old, ineffective offense again. That was a frustrating year.

32. matt jones ghost
    8:53 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

Anybody have Jeromes number

33. GummyBear
    9:06 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

33.. 87

34. Jimmy Buffett
    9:15 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

35. MIDDAY
    9:16 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

You’re on the UK basketball team and you bring your baby sisters blanky to the Lodge?

36. Jeremy
    9:40 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

Me and my mom live in a crackhouse basement. She is available by the quarter hour. Do you mind if I watch?

37. MissinBoogie
    10:34 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

34 – you’re a Bengals fan and you’re making fun of UK football? Pot meet kettle (though you are probably too stupid to get that and you probably think I’m talking about pot that you smoke). Hell the Cats vs. Bengals would probably be a decent game. Moron.

38. The bizz
    11:55 am September 22, 2011 Permalink

Silly little tards. Ricky 3 Stacks is moron

39. NDo
    1:55 pm September 22, 2011 Permalink

Obviously Carson (Palmer) sent that package to Jerome (Simpson)…that’s why is was intercepted. Haha

40. The Outlaw Josey Wales
    1:56 pm September 22, 2011 Permalink

It’s only weed… should be legal anyways! Who Dey!!

41. SagaciousMind
    3:10 pm September 22, 2011 Permalink

22, he may not be callin the plays, but he is the head coach. And the plays that are being called are plays similarly eerie to the past when the wrong stuff was being called. And I agree about the comment about Cobb and Conner not gettin the ball that game. Just like this last bowl game when Cobb should have had the ball a helluva lot more often. 42, agree!!