Archie Goodwin’s NBA Draft Combine Video Was…Tough

The above video can be tough to watch. As Archie Goodwin struggles with his jump shot, the ESPN announcers break down his game and…well it isn’t all that pretty. They give him some compliments, but there are also a lot of tough remarks. It wasn’t a pretty week for Archie in Chicago, although he is still projected in the first round. But he will have lots of work to do…

Article written by Matt Jones

31 Comments for Archie Goodwin’s NBA Draft Combine Video Was…Tough

1. kentuckyjoe
    9:11 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

He made a few ‘J’s and the ones he missed he didn’t miss by much. His form is pretty good. He shoots it effortlessly. Nothing wrong that 500 threes a day for a year or two wouldn’t cure.

2. JP
    9:20 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

I really enjoyed the clips from the “50 And Over Games” that came AFTER this video finished. I don’t know if everyone gets to witness that spectacle, but it’s much more entertaining than watching the draft combine.

3. Brian
    9:31 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

Sucking at basketball usually means you’ll struggle at the NBA combine.

4. Honda
    9:31 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

Everyone on Earth has already viewed this video. Matt must’ve just checked Cats I llustrated and saw they had it on there a few days ago.

5. Vito
    9:36 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

All scouts know Archie’s strong point isn’t shooting. He shot decent today at the combine and has done well on all the physical tests. I say he’ll go around the 20s, which is where lamb and Teague were and we never bashed them for leaving. He’s a cat just like the rest and I look forward to rooting him on in the pros in the future.

6. Duke sucks
    9:42 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

4) I didn’t know it was on Cats illustrated. Like most I coming to KSR so I dont having to go to BS cite like CI and waste money when I can get it here free! Here’s a idea for you since you like CI so much and obviously KSR is old news to you why don’t you just stay there and leave to rest of us alone! DA!

7. Duke sucks
    9:47 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

I think the they need to change some rules and timing so a player can go to the combine before committing ones self to the NBA. If its about the kids why not allow them to see how they will stack up in the draft before losing their eligibility? Looks lke the NCAA is using these kids as slave labor! They are making millions off these kids and doing nothing in return for the kids!

8. What??
    9:51 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

Where was the struggle? He shot 5 for 12 (42%) from long range, which is an area he isn’t strong at. Then, he took his man one on one to the basket and scored in the other drill? Wouldn’t exactly call that struggling. A team will grab him and either make him a PG, or fix his jumper and keep him at the SG. All you Archie haters mark my word, in about 2 years, he’s going to be a big help to some NBA team out there. If you don’t see some potential in the kid then I honestly believe you don’t know a whole lot about the game.

9. Randy Brown
    9:55 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

?? What’s with the Archie hate? Not a good season but him and Noel played their hearts out for UK. Lets focus on having a different poythrese coming back than dissing on a kid who played well for us. Sorry but a team that has to start jarrod Polska at pg won’t do much in d1 hoops and Julius mays was terrible, get off his jock ksr.

10. Wildcatsteeler
    10:02 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

@9 You couldn’t be more correct. This site seems to delight in trying to post bad things about Goodwin. I hope he goes on to become a great NBA player so all these haters can eat their traitorous words. His first step and ability in the open court are tailor made for the NBA. He’s quick and athletic. His shot can easily be worked on.

11. Catfan14
    10:04 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

At the beginning of last years season I remember sayin Archie’s speed reminded me of Wall’s, not as fast but he is just as athletic. I also believe the NBA is better suited for Archie’s skill set. He’s your one-on-one type player in my opinion. He’s hard to stay in front of. I have been one of Archie’s biggest fans throughout the good and bad, if he works hard and lives in the gym, he’s gonna be a great addition and valued member of an NBA squad. I feel if he would’ve stayed he would’ve been a breakout star this year even with the talent we have coming in, you just cat ignore his god-given abilities and the errors he has can be fixed with enough time and coaching, his habits of driving without “seeing” the court are at fault right now, that’s a habit he’ll have to change, I also agree with a previous post that stated 500 jump shots everyday in the gym will def cure his shooting woes. Bottom line, he’s got the oranges, just gotta learn to make juice. Can’t wait for Archie to make em eat they feet!

12. Matt Jones
    10:04 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

The video has 1100 views….dont think “everyone in the world” has seen it

13. Coach Cal
    10:05 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

#8 Apparently I don’t know a whole lot about the game.

14. Melvit
    10:25 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

#9 and 10. KSR is just reporting what he did in the combine. Since he sucked, it comes across as negative. Archie is the only one that’s going to “eat they feet”. He’s awful for the NBA.

15. Randy Brown
    10:36 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think so melvit, I believe Archie has a better chance than players like Doron lamb. I just saw the hype behind him coming to Kentucky and now people just abandon him. Alex poythrese was the one who didn’t show up the whole year and Julius mays was absolutely terrible. Stop being fans that just adopt ksr’s opinion.

16. Shawn
    10:37 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

I can definitely see why Archie decided to go and I will most definitely be rooting for him. But, If I were him I would have stayed, battled the Harrison Twins all year In practice, learned the PG position and came out next year. He probably still wouldnt have been a lottery pick but his game would have been a lot better and he would have something to give an NBA team at PG. There Is not much he can offer an NBA team at the SG position that already Isnt floating around the NBA.

17. James K
    10:38 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

Ehh, could’ve been worse. I think this could play out for Archie in one of two ways: a) he gets with a team that has a smart front office and brings him along slowly until he is ready to contribute on a low level. I think he is completely capable of this. b) he gets with a team that does not have a particularly smart front office, and he ends up in a tough personal situation and toiling away in the D-League until he ends up overseas.

I think it could easily play out either way. Lance Stephenson is a good example — you handle a player with great talent in the correct way, and you can eventually get SOMETHING out of them, but Stephenson fell into a great situation when Larry Bird/Donnie Walsh drafted him. Not every player gets that. I’m pulling for Archie because I think he could’ve been a FANTASTIC college player with three years, but he honestly didn’t have the option.

18. Tim Kathlina
    11:03 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

Archie will play professional ball, bank on that. His skill set will improve because he is a driven hard worker and has the tools. Archie did improve starting at the Arkansas game. Hope he gets drafted in the 1st round, but if not, we have other CATS that didn’t and they are playing and getting paid. He will make it, but needs time to mature.

19. NL
    11:26 pm May 19, 2013 Permalink

@10- Archie had a mediocre combine and scouts have been expressing concerns over his play. His projected pick has dropped in the mock drafts. KSR isn’t bashing anyone, they are simply reporting the news. It happens to be negative, but KSR doesn’t make the news, they report it honestly.

20. Ridge Runner
    3:38 am May 20, 2013 Permalink

His performance doesn’t surprise me one bit to be honest. Moving on…

21. JP
    4:11 am May 20, 2013 Permalink

It makes me laugh reading all of the comments on him being a SG and his jump shot is not what he’s best at, how can you be a SG and not a great shooter? Archie plays out of control basketball which is why he’s great at getting to the rim, but if he just used something called a jump stop which he should’ve been taught when he was 8, not so many charges would have been called against him. I personally think that there is more there than meets the eye, so many people are telling him many different things he just doesn’t know what to do. He needs to sit and watch film and have someone pause the tape after every possession and explain thoroughly what he did good or bad, then have a walk through over what he should’ve done.

22. Kevin
    7:47 am May 20, 2013 Permalink

Motivation is what Goodwin is missing. Hard to teach that.

23. Dennis
    8:06 am May 20, 2013 Permalink

He is way over rated. Best asset is quickness and driving to basket throwing a out of control shot up then being called for charging. Should have stayed one more year but glad he is gone.

24. James K
    8:22 am May 20, 2013 Permalink

You people saying ‘move on’ and ‘glad he’s gone’ — do me a favor and stop rooting for Kentucky. I personally don’t want to be associated with you. These kids aren’t here for YOU — they’re here to make a living at something under a lot of scrutiny. I love Kentucky as much as anyone, and I understand that these kids aren’t here because of the majesty of the tradition. I really wish some of you get a ****ing grip.

25. H.A. Milton
    8:46 am May 20, 2013 Permalink

Oh, that Archie…

26. GP
    9:30 am May 20, 2013 Permalink

Archie reminds me of a smaller Lance Stephenson–came out early, doesn’t have a good jump shot and needs to find his niche, which is effort and taking his man off the dribble. It’s worked out well for Stephenson.

27. Kbsport
    10:00 am May 20, 2013 Permalink

Didn’t see video, don’t care to. His game its fundamentally flawed, hopefully he can correct it, he is fortunate that he has been given these opportunities,

28. sunnycat
    10:11 am May 20, 2013 Permalink

15. Lamb could play decent D and shoot the lights out two things Goodwin CAN NOT do.

29. sunnycat
    10:15 am May 20, 2013 Permalink

24. If its O.K. to heap praise on a player then it is perfectly O.K. to criticize a player. Its a two way street.

30. James K
    11:07 am May 20, 2013 Permalink

29. Respectfully, we aren’t talking about the same thing. If you are talking about criticizing him personally, I don’t think Archie has really earned that. Yes, as a player, he has some serious flaws in his game, but I still wish that he could have remained in the UK fold.

31. sunnycat
    6:10 pm May 20, 2013 Permalink

30. I am talking about the play of the players not their personal lives just the performance on the court. And I agree AG should have returned for another year and I wish him and any other Cat nothing but the best.