Archie Goodwin thinks the team is making strides

John Calipari stuck to his word and pushed his team through two-a-days this week — conditioning in the morning, practice in the afternoon — and the new practice routine seems to be working.  Today, Archie Goodwin called the new schedule intense, but he’s seeing improvements.

“It’s been intense. A lot better. A lot more competitive, Archie told reporters this afternoon.  “I think we’re making strides and coming along a lot faster than we thought.”

The freshman guard sees an increase in the competitive spirit in practices.  He said the players are being more vocal and doing a better job of holding each other accountable when they slip up.

“You don’t want to be the person that’s going to be picked out for doing something wrong,” he said.  “Before, we weren’t doing that, and now we’re doing it and it’s helping us out a lot.”

Now, we just have to wait and see how that new competitive spirit translates into games.  Will they fight for those 50/50 balls?  Will they talk to each other on the court?  Will they play with a sense of urgency, not just to play?  Will they be their brother’s keeper?  Will they do whatever other questions you can come up with for this space?  Will they do that?  Huh?

We’ll see tomorrow when Lipscomb comes to town.  Kentucky needs to put it on ’em for two halves.

Article written by Drew Franklin

13 Comments for Archie Goodwin thinks the team is making strides

1. UK Freshmen
    8:53 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

Lipscomb?? Hahahahaha. What’s the point?

2. mudcreekmark
    9:00 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

I guess we’ll see tomorrow. I really hope he is right. I like the hustle of Noel. Now if we could only get Poythress to play as hard as Noel we’d have something.I also liked what I saw the last time out from Harrow. He is getting more confident and he is starting to run the team the way I thought he would. I also liked the way he defended. He actually stopped his man from getting past him a few times. Unlike the rest of our guards.

3. Ridge Runner
    9:01 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

Yes #1 — I take Lipscomb nothing more than a practice.

We will actually “see” when we tip off with Loserville. That is our first test.

4. Jimmy Dinklewinker
    9:12 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

Cant wait to see the women’s team play again!

5. SoCal Will
    9:51 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

Glad to see the Archie Bunker mentality. Dig in and fight….

6. Syrin
    10:23 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

This team was slow to catch on but still has unreal talent. Final Four material for sure.

7. BigBrother
    10:51 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

A lot of people want to compare this team to the B Knight team and while I agree there are some similarities, the Knight team shot the 3 much better and ultimately that team had an elite NBA, high lottery draft pick in Knight. This team does not nor will not have that. I think Harrow can get better and be decent but he’s not an elite, NBA caliber point guard and this is the 1st year Cal has not had that since he’s been at UK. I’m old school in that I think you have to have a stud point guard to make a deep run. Just my opinion.

8. Chris
    11:38 pm December 14, 2012 Permalink

#6 – LOL!

9. Keep Rock
    12:08 am December 15, 2012 Permalink

Goodwin is a lot like MKG in that any shot he shoots on the break isn’t a bad shot. He will learn not to just bull people over with time, but there is a lot to like about his game. Noel is playing about how he was expected to.hopefully Harrow is picking up things now. I don’t know why so many are down on Poythress this time lasts year he was in high school. Looks like he’s thinking on the court more then being lazy. Time is the only thing that is going to fix that. This is the time of year where Cal hands the team over to the players that is why you see him questioning them publicly about working harder. The next 3 week with tell how good they will be in March.

10. Troy
    12:49 am December 15, 2012 Permalink

#8 – You must be laughing because you saw your junk in the mirror.

11. Kaboom
    2:09 am December 15, 2012 Permalink

#7. I think most analysts would disagree with you on the basis of Noel’s draft stock alone, but both Goodwin and Poythress have high draft potential whereas 2010 only had one [playing].

12. BigBrother
    9:58 am December 15, 2012 Permalink

#11 I’m not saying this team doesnt have high lottery picks. I’m saying we dont have a high lottery pick at the point guard position and, in my opinion, you need a stud pg to make a run. All of Cals teams, since he’s been at UK, have had a stud at PG. I agree in that we have 3 lottery picks on this team but not at the point.

13. Vincent Moore
    2:48 pm December 15, 2012 Permalink

#12 Do you think that Teague last year was a stud? He was almost out of the lotto.