Archie Goodwin is one of SI.com’s NBA combine “losers”

“I will make you eat your feet.”

Archie Goodwin is one of four NBA prospects tabbed as combine “losers” in a piece at SI.com. Though the label is only “for the moment,” it is clear that Archie’s inconsistent jump shot may be too much for him to overcome as he tries to improve his stock in these weeks leading up to the draft.

Losers (For The Moment)

Archie Goodwin

Goodwin struggled with his jump shot throughout the combine — “Very flat,” a Western Conference coach said — and looked like the player who said he would be “delusional” to think he was ready for the NBA. There is a raw, Jamal Crawford-like talent in Goodwin, an athletic, dynamic combo guard who can score in a variety of ways. But it could take years to develop that player in him, if it can be brought out at all.

Once a potential lottery pick, Archie is now expected to go in the late first round to early second round range. Draft Express updated its mock draft today and it projects him going to the Suns with the last pick in the first round.

Another combine loser, according to SI.com: Shabazz Muhammad.

[SI.com: Winners, losers from the 2013 NBA draft combine]

Article written by Drew Franklin

40 Comments for Archie Goodwin is one of SI.com’s NBA combine “losers”

1. Kristen Geil's Abs
    12:07 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

I love that he came to UK and played hard, but man, I just can’t see him going in the first or second round. He was a 3 year college player, at least.

2. Kristen Geil's Abs
    12:08 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Anyone know how to season feet so that they taste good? I just want to be prepared.

3. smh
    12:09 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

People forget that he played just as stupid as he did hard.

4. They feet
    12:18 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

They feet are ready to be eaten!

5. Morehead state
    12:19 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

He wasn’t that good at UK. Very athletic, but not that good of a shooter. Probably would have been a distraction on next year’s team.

6. M
    12:24 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

The “we won it first” t-shirt can’t be for real is it? What a joke.

7. #5
    12:28 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Morehead State sucks….

8. tom
    12:37 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

6. Agree completely M. Childish really.

9. Sheeeeeew....
    12:37 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

I know “Once a Cat, always a Cat”, but I have never been so happy to see a kid leave. I wish him nothing but the best, but he was NEVER a team player….EVER. If I had to watch one more drive into traffic, try and draw a foul, and through the ball in the general vecinity of the basket, I would have lost it. My money says “Once a Cat, always a Cat”, will not be reciprocated by Mr. Goodwin. I think he hated it here…

10. tltaworl
    12:37 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

The “We won it 1st” shirt does not make sense. Its almost like they acknowledge that a team that won the 2013 championship exists. Which we all know is untrue!

11. $$$$
    12:41 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

anything to make a $

12. SeaCat
    12:43 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Why did Cal ever recruit Archie?
    And Shabazz?

13. M
    12:43 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

I think Oregon should create a “we won it first” t-shirt since they won the first tournament. I guess that would make some sense.

14. We Wish Him the Best
    12:44 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Archie was recently asked about UK and he said he hopes they never lose and he will be pulling for them. We feel the same way about you Archie. Best of luck and keep plugging away.

15. i want a
    12:46 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

i want a kentucky isnt for everyone shirt

16. tom5673
    12:51 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

please tell me that t-shirt isn’t real. absolute garbage.

17. The Jesus
    12:51 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

That shirt art stupid.

18. rob combs
    12:54 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Thank goodness Shabazz didn’t come to UK. That would have been two Calipari duds instead of just Archie.

19. LA
    12:56 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

he left because he knew he would not start next year. i cant believe an nba general manager would spend a draft pick on him just looking at his film alone. he needed several more years of development in college.

20. UK
    12:58 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Im not sure Cal was trying to take a shot at UofL with this one. It sounds more like he was saying luckily for this fan vase we won’t it first, or we’d be at Cal’s head. But just my opinion.

21. me
    12:59 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

You guys who are down on Archie not being “ready” for the NBA, making bad decisions, etc. need to remember – He’s one of the youngest players in the draft, and will likely be evaluated by NBA GM’s more like a high-school prospect would.

He obviously isn’t “ready” to play in the NBA, but he has some good strengths – primarily slashing to the basket and athleticism. He has plenty of time to develop while getting paid, and whether he puts in the work in to fix the glaring holes in his game and improve into an NBA star is up to him at this point.

22. ThatsAShame
    12:59 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

BTI is back and that shirt comes out. Coincidence?

23. Comb Rob's
    12:59 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Great analysis #18.

24. Morehead state
    1:04 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

God bless you #7, hope your day gets better

25. Poodles Willoughby
    1:06 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

#3 – Didn’t you mean “he played just as selfish as he played stupid”?

26. GoForIT
    1:07 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

And this is shocking?? Not sure how he is a loser, think this is exactly what his skills have to offer. The losers are the scouts who thought he should go in first round, not his fault.

27. BlueDeuce
    1:07 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

I’m with the majority here and believe he’ll be a second round pick and have to work his way to the NBA. I’m not sure that is any different than staying in school other than the fact he’ll get a paycheck in the NBADL.

I also think “others” around Archie helped him decide what he should do…and I’m not talking about Coach or UK people, more like those around Archie (those looking to gain something monetary). Terrible they expect him to consider them but they don’t have to consider Archie’s future when asking!

28. M
    1:10 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

I agree with you #20. That’s how I interpreted his comment. However, the shirt implies differently, and it’s just dumb in my opinion.

29. Shake
    1:16 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

That is the gayest t-shirt in the history of gay

30. Cat Fan in Georgia
    1:20 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

The “Keep Calm, The Twins Are Coming” shirt was pretty bad, but this is the worst yet. Do people really buy this stuff?

31. tyson
    1:21 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

I hope you guys aren’t planning on sales of that shirt to pay the new writers on the staff.

32. OneAndDone
    1:27 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

The “we won it first” shirt is awful. I get it, I listen to the show everyday, and that was a huge moment post interview for the show. But it makes us look like a bunch of, well, Cards. We are waayyyy better than that.

33. Gerg
    1:36 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

I don’t see how any team would draft Archie in the first round period. If he’s a few years away before being NBA ready, that is a big investment to retain his rights. I can see maybe if he had a big upside but he may or may not evolve in to NBA caliber. I don’t see him as any different than any other guy out there that is in the D League, Europe, China, etc. He needs to polish his game and then be able to contribute to an NBA team. And that is probably what is going to happen. He couldv’e done this at UK while getting a college degree. Granted he’ll get paid playing overseas. I just hope he invests his money.

34. UKBlue
    1:36 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Archie was obviously also one of the problems; this kid is hard headed, can’t be taught & can’t be told anything, and just like it showed through out the season it showed during the NBA combine. Kid is his own worst enemy; Thank God he won’t be on this year team.

35. Rockfield, KY
    1:58 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

So, is Archie now “gone” have to eat “he” feet?

36. T-Shirt
    2:17 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

We’ll Coach Cal has NO control over what people put on T-Shirts. It was said in fun, obviously not endorsed by Cal for a T-Shirt slogan. #$$$$

37. Jim Jim
    2:26 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Yawn. Suprise Suprise

38. Bulldawg
    3:09 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Archie? Not doing well? A flat, inconsistant jumpshot? No way!!! This comes as a complete suprise to me…

39. Cat89
    4:25 pm May 21, 2013 Permalink

Archie is no Ramel Bradley sooo……

40. tonyyy
    5:45 am May 22, 2013 Permalink

Sheeeeeww…I disagree..he averaged 4.5 assist a game.. he had 8 against Louisville where u could tell he wanted that game the most.. there was not a whole lot of talent to work with outside of Noel to help him other than Julius Mayes 3’s.. poythris I would put in the catorgoie more bcuz he played like “he didnt care”