Apolo Ohno’s Tuesday News and Views

If you were to ask me to name my five favorite ice skaters in the history of the world, I would give you Nancy Kerrigan and Apolo Ohno, and then ask you why we’re talking about ice skating. It’s not a conversation I generally like to have with friends. But tonight, on the eve of Ohno’s 30th birthday, we’re going to talk about ice skating. At least for a paragraph or two.

Apolo Anton Ohno was born on May 22, 1982 in Seattle, Washington. Almost 15 cold years later, he became the youngest U.S. national champion, winning the 1997 U.S. Senior Championships overall title and taking a gold medal in the 1500 meter. Today, he is an eight-time Olympic gold medalist and the most decorated American Winter Olympic athlete of all time. He also won Dancing With The Stars in 2007, according to BTI’s Tivo.

While his success on the frozen water is truly remarkable to those who find skating accomplishments remarkable, Ohno is most known for his goatee, which he has asked that you not call a soul patch.

“That sounds kind of weird,” he once told ESPN. “A soul patch? I don’t know how ‘soul’ it is.”

I don’t know how soul it is either, and I’m not reading into Ohno’s story any more than I already have to find out. What don’t we just move on from the Apolo Ohno talk for now. Happy Birthday and all that stuff.

————

There is potentially a new point guard on the market in the 2012 class and he’s very interested in the Kentucky Wildcats. Unfortunately for him, Kentucky hasn’t called. And probably won’t. Top 60 2013 prospect Stevie Clark out of Oklahoma City is contemplating a jump to 2012, but he wants to hear from the Cats before making his move. He already has offers from Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Florida State, Missouri, Louisville, Arkansas, Memphis, Baylor, Tulsa and Stanford. The problem for Clark is he’s a couple inches shy of six feet, he’s not highly ranked, and Kentucky just landed Julius Mays to back up Harrow and Goodwin. On top of that, Coach Cal isn’t in the business of tossing around scholarships just to fill the roster, so I can’t imagine Kentucky looking too hard into him. Clark wouldn’t contribute in his freshman season and the Harrison twins are the priority for 2013. Sorry about your luck.

On a related note, whatever happened to the days of going to high school for four years? Had I known I could’ve just “reclassified” and skipped my senior year at Madisonville North Hopkins, I would’ve jumped all over the opportunity to get a head start on sleeping late, not going to class, and eating fast food everyday. The golf team would’ve missed those 40s I always posted in matches, though.

In what-the-hell-is-he-thinking news, Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com has lost his mind and we’re very concerned about him. We were tipped off to his lunacy after reading his NBA Draft prospect rankings, where he ranked Harrison Barnes ahead of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist at small forward. I would expect childish behavior like this from Jeff Borzello or Gary Parrish, but Goodman knows better. Harrison Barnes??? Are you serious?????

After seeing the success of the Big 12 Network, the SEC is ready to have its own channel to keep up in the fight over which is the best conference in college athletics. And to make a lot of money. The SEC is in talks to launch the SEC Network by 2014, with ESPN being the likely television partner. There are entirely too many details for me to regurgitate in this bullet, so go over to The Sporting News to read all about it. I’m hoping Mike Slive can work something out with cn|2 if the ESPN deal falls through.

The USA Men’s Select Team officially announced its roster on Monday, and just as we’ve mentioned on here too many times this month, John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins will be participants. The select squad will train against the 2012 USA Basketball Men’s National Team during the July 6-12 training camp in Las Vegas and there is a very good chance KSR will be in the building when they do. Pack your bags.

Just a friendly reminder: Please don’t put your child in the washing machine.

It’s just a bad situation for everyone, especially the little one.

Speaking of dirty laundry, Monday was the 23 year anniversary of Rick Pitino’s trip to Lexington to listen to C.M. Newton about the Kentucky job. According to our friend Big Blue Booyah, Rick said, “Joanne and I are going out Tuesday. I plan to make this decision as quick as possible. I’m hoping I’ll be back, but if not, the Knicks will have the biggest cheerleader in Lexington.” Of course, Rick took the job and UK raised its sixth national title banner just seven years later.

Kentucky baseball opens up the 2012 SEC tourney with a game against Ole Miss on Tuesday morning. The first pitch is at 10:30 a.m. and you can listen to the game on the radio on the station you normally listen to during that time. 1080 AM in Louisville and 630 AM in Lexington are airing the game instead of Kentucky Sports Radio radio, so you’ll get more Gary Henderson and Austin Cousino, and less Shannon The Dude and Drew The Employee. You can also watch the game on Fox Sports South, which will probably be more enjoyable than listening to it. I can’t imagine a radio broadcast of a baseball game being all that exciting. Ball. Ball. Strike. Ball.

That’ll do it for now.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

63 Comments for Apolo Ohno’s Tuesday News and Views

1. NOLA
    11:14 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

wash machine, not a dryer

2. NOLA
    11:15 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

3. NOLA
    11:15 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

but a good idea for both

4. NOLA
    11:17 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Kidd is much better than Barnes

5. Ally Tucker
    11:39 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Michelle Kwan. Drew, how could you?

6. Joey
    11:41 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

If Pitino runs off Rakeem Buckles because he is injured, then every coach, including Cal, needs to remind every recruit of this. How dare Rick do this. The man is injured. Simply pathetic…

7. BPsycho
    12:16 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

“Junior Wash $2.95”

They no read engrish good.

8. Smiley Pete
    12:17 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Why would you put that video up? Thats not what I needed to see before bed

9. ltylerj
    12:35 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

I agree with #8…that was hard to watch.

10. Roland
    12:46 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

I wont ask you who is your five favorite ice skaters in the history of the world. Moving on, ya still talk about it. Drew, come out of the closet.

11. RealisticUKFan
    1:25 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

I love MKG. I even bought a #14 jersey this year because of him, but let’s be serious here Barnes can shoot a hell of a lot better than MKG… C’mon guys.

12. UKSoCal
    1:33 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Wait, when did the site get sold to USA Today?

13. LigginsIsMagic
    1:46 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

You guys have got to remove that video of the parents putting their kid in the laundry. As a parent of two & a huge KSR fan that is the worst thing I’ve ever seen you all do on this site. I’m disgusted. Matt would surely not approve after what he did last week on the radio show with the kid on the KY Transportation radio advertisement.

14. Tim in Korea
    1:54 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Agree, 13. If you really feel like you need to post that(and you shouldn’t), put it on your personal site, not a business website. #Fail

15. FlySoup
    2:40 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

what is everyone so upset about? its just a video its not like they’re telling people to put their kids in a washing machine

16. Ridge Runner
    3:11 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Why are some people “parents”?

17. Justin
    5:32 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Guess what people, just because they put it on the website doesn’t mean you have to push play. It was clearly described what the video was and YOU made the decision to watch.

18. Geoff
    5:40 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

What would Brian Boitano do???? That video is actually the basis of the Outkast hit “So Fresh, So Clean”

19. Jumper
    5:53 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

How can the NCAA sit idly by and watch Ricky P. continue to recruit players when he is at the limit already? Why would Tommy Turtleneck allow this? Do they want to be known as the team that pushes injured players to the curb? Every coach should remind recruits of this. Same thing with Tom Cream. Both teams should be investigated because you know they will be trying to get academic scholarships for their players, and none are probably qualified for such. The NCAA needs to come knocking at UL and IU.

20. Legion
    6:40 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Oh, c’mon everyone, let’s all cry and boo-hoo over the video of the kid in the washing machine. Let’s pretend that things like this don’t happen and live in our perfect little world where stupid people don’t have kids and everyone is happy. You all seriously need to grow a pair.

21. other UK sites
    6:43 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, I know yall can say and post anything ya want – but posting videos like this just shows everyone (and I mean everyone) what ksr is about. I get the whole “rediculous manner” – but ksr steps past that line daily. And before all the pot smoking hippies jump me… grow up!

22. BigAl
    7:29 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

@21-Really? R U serious? Why are you posting in the comment section if this site bothers you so much? Who needs to grow up here? If I don’t like something, then I don’t put myself in a position to be involved with it. That’s one of the perks of living in America. Just stay away you idiot. People like you kill me.

23. Ich Heise Neil
    7:37 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

22 – Youre the one that needs to grow up. So EXACTLY what does this say that ksr is all about? It cant be posting videos of babies in washmachines…. they have only done that once. It cant be promoting child violence… this video wasnt made light of.

Looks like…. thats right… youre an idiot.

Go jump off a bridge.

24. Ich Heise Neil
    7:38 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Mine was directed at 21…. the numbers changed.

25. Ich Heise Neil
    7:40 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

21 – Also, dumbass, you misspelled “ridiculous.” The stupidest part about you is that you quoted their mission statement which is clearly printed at the top of the page, but you were unable to actually quote it in a way that masked your stupidity.

26. Real Cats Fan
    7:43 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

First and foremost, this is mainly a UK SPORTS SITE, so posting the video is a stretch to begin with, because it has NOTHING to do with sports. Second, this is an ENTERTAINMENT site, where we go to escape from all of the (mostly bad) news of the “real” world. This is about as far away as you can get from “entertainment”. What’s next – posting videos of someone getting shot? Hopefully the kid is OK. If that is the case, then add it to the post so that we don’t have to sit here thinking we just witnessed the death of an innocent child. Otherwise, don’t post it at all. I still can’t see how it added anything to the conversation, other than the shock value for more comments. SMH.

27. SexnNursinHomes
    7:48 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Awesome video!! hahaha I’m almost crying, its that hilarious!! Man, what were they thinking?? hahaha holy shit.

28. barn
    8:05 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

wow. hope they had it set on ‘cold water’.

29. john tummelson
    8:08 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

The baby video was originally posted on Yahoo. I plan to boycott Yahoo now.

30. john tummelson
    8:09 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Feel free to join me….

31. holy cow
    8:09 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Ich – so, you’re saying because someone misspelled a word, the point of their comment can not be taken as valid? Did you notice the error in your own post, smarty?

32. Ron Paul Approves
    8:12 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

The boy suffered some bruises, that’s it. You prudes are the death of Amerika. Hilarious video!!

33. hood folk
    8:16 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

What’s the big deal, that’s how we wash our babies in da’wes’en.

34. barn
    8:16 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

29–why would you boycott? it seems like a pretty good public service tool to me. while i and most folks with a little common sense would never think of doing such a thing, there are obviously those people who don’t have the foresight to see what a bad idea it is. it’s those people whom i hope will see the video.

35. obama's momma
    8:28 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

If the washing machine is good enough for my barrack, its good enough for this hook rat.

36. john tummelson
    8:30 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

34 – I do not plan to boycott, just being sarcastic and pointing out to folks that mainstream websites posted the same video. Perhaps, KSR could state a video is “disturbing” in the future to avoid upsetting some of it’s viewers.

I like your point about “educating” people to be more careful with children in their daily lives. Like you, I’m not sure what someone is thinking when putting a child in a washing machine; however, one does not have to look far for reports of accidents involving parents, children and household tasks (washer/dryers, lawnmowers, ovens, etc.)

37. reality
    8:35 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Hello everyone… let’s get a grip. Looking at the parents, were we really expecting this kid to turn into a productive (tax paying) member of society? Some people are just trash, born trash and will die trash.

Looking forward to paying this kid and his 6 brothers and sisters way for the next 60+ years. Aint America great?!?!

38. Ryan Lemond Loves Twinkies
    8:43 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Last time I looked, this is a free website. If you’re not happy with the subject matter (whether related to UK sports or not), go to another site.

39. prudes of amerika
    8:47 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Ron Paul – no, us “prudes” are not the death of ‘amerika’ – it is people like you and the people in this video. Isn’t it funny, 99.99% of people like those in the vid will vote Obama – that should tell you all you need to know about Obama and ‘amerika.’

40. Random Nibbler
    8:52 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Agree with #8, nightmarish video doesn’t belong on KSR, IMO.

41. DEasy
    8:58 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Why is Ohno wearing fake medals? I don’t get it.

42. ChildInTheWashingMachine
    8:59 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

43. BCG
    9:08 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

What’s the big deal? I put Jorts into my dryer after practice all the time and he turned out fine.

44. hawkeye tim
    9:19 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Money says parents file lawsuit against maker of washing machine.

45. Jax Teller
    9:20 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Seems like a pretty good way to get away from the kids for an hour or so. Put ’em on the rinse cycle and go have some lunch.

46. Doug in Ft. Thomas
    9:40 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

You NAILED it Hawkeye Tim. Probably no warning label on the machine saying Don’t Put Live Human Beings in this Machine. Money also on this being filmed in Louisville.

47. birth control
    9:40 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

If the rinse cycle doesn’t kill him the bullets will in about 20 years. Money says this kid is on a street corner selling drugs in 20 years as opposed to just graduating from college and looking for a job.

48. Alan Badillion Trahern
    9:47 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Some of these comments are examples of why the word “hot” is required on coffee cups. #36, you are very special.

49. JPhelps
    9:50 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

I really think we as UK and fans should take more credit for what OKC is doing this year in the NBA playoffs… Clearly, anyone can see that they are so much improved because they came to campus during the hold out and played here! Plus, it would be hugely annoying to all other fan bases as I’ve repeatedly heard UK fans are pompous pricks… I’m embracing that, I don’t know about you!

50. Hmmm
    9:50 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

The amount of racists on this post is amusing. “Ain’t Kentucky great”

51. Hoss_Cat
    9:57 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

We would expect a post this bad from corey, but not you Drew. Ice skating…..seriously?

52. BigAl
    10:00 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

@26- Sorry this site doesn’t meet YOUR expectations for what it should be. I didn’t realize that the guys who created and run it needed your approval before posting something. Get over yourself you dumba**!!

53. Rick Pitino
    10:01 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

DAMN, if I’d only thought of the washing machine… I could have saved $3,000. And if I could have found an industrial washer, I coulda thrown Karen Sypher in too – and killed two birds with one stone. Oops, I mean…

54. hey you!
    10:09 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Hmmm – what are you talking about? Those were ‘black’ people in the video, correct? How many upstanding citizens do you know that would put their kid in a washer? How many kids do you know that have been put into washing machines – have turned into scientists or doctors? …maybe a community organizer, but not scientist or doctor.

55. Buddy Hunt
    10:11 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Sad video……Has no place on here! I don’t come here to see stuff like that! If you want to stay connected to the fan base and team……DON’T POST THIS KIND OF STUFF….Bad reflection on KSR and Matt Jones!!

56. Nat
    10:41 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

I come to this site to get updates on UK sports, and in my opinion the staff does an excellent job. However, like most people I come to laugh as well. Most of the time I laugh at all the ridiculous people in the comments section. If this offends you, then you need to open your eyes. Or go visit a little website called 4chan; that will toughen you up a little bit. Oh and all you racists need to be drug out into the street and shot.

57. Nat
    10:50 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Oh and 37, I know plenty of pieces of sh!t that pay their taxes. I’m pretty sure your dumb ass is more of a detriment to society than these people will ever be. Since you’re lucky enough to have been born a white male, you probably have more of an opportunity to make an influence on other people’s lives than these poor folks ever will. Unfortunately for everyone else, you are a racist retard. I feel sorry for you bc i realize that racism is as institutionalized as poverty, but you probably will never make an effort to open your eyes and understand someone else’s situation.

58. Too Funny
    11:10 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

Nat – Not #37 here, but do you really think you should be talking about dragging people into the street and shooting them? We had quite enough of that mind set and behavior here in Louisville the past few days. Isn’t it funny, people like you are quick to offer “suggestions” like this – yet you don’t see how crazy what you actually say, is. I’m fairly confident the number of “racist” (white people) that have killed blacks in the past 30 years pails in comparison to the number of blacks that have killed other blacks over the same time frame. I guess it is better to be killed by ‘friendly fire’ than be killed by a “racist” (white person).

PS, Nat – just a fyi, there are black racists too. Sorry if that little fact hits a little close to home.

59. MLK
    11:57 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

#57
    President is black homie…..The highest job in the country. I think that pretty much squashes the Im black so I cannot be successful card. If more effort would be put forth instead of looking for somebody to help things would be a lot better. Im white male; however I grew up on Centre Parkway in Lex and all who know that area know I didnt have much and received free lunch in school growing up and what not. I managed to go to school and get 3 degress including a clnical doctorate. I owe over 130,000 in student loans because no one could help with school. Anybody can choose to go to school and better themselves, the problem is people are looking for the easy way out. The type of people who even as a joke would put baby in washer are those kind of people. Everyone needs to drop the racist BS.

60. Poor Taste
    12:27 pm May 22, 2012 Permalink

I was blasted by a writer on here for making light of the jockey who was arrested for domestic violence. Apparently child abuse is funny but domestic violence isn’t. Perhaps you all need to get together and get your priorities straight. That video simply was not funny in any way.

61. Poor Taste
    12:28 pm May 22, 2012 Permalink

By the way, the comments in this section outline perfectly the difference between good sites like TrueBlue Kentucky and this. You all need some moderators here badly.

62. But, But, But...
    12:58 pm May 22, 2012 Permalink

Poor Taste – the sad thing is, ksr does “moderate” some of the comments. Usually it just the ones that are critical of the site itself – but non of the real garbage.

Can’t imagine Cal or UK really want to be associated in any way to this vid or much else of the “most ridiculous manner possible” content provided by ksr.

If you really look at the content of the site, what isn’t linked (swiped) from other sites is generally junk (like the vid of the ‘sperm donor’ putting the kid in the washer).

63. KYfinfan
    11:28 pm May 22, 2012 Permalink

Overreact much on the Gilchrest-Barnes debate there Drew? You sound like one of those crazed UK fans. It’s not that big of a stretch.