Antoine Walker is retiring

It is with a sad shimmy that we report that Antoine Walker is retiring from basketball. Walker told his followers the news this morning on Twitter:

It’s been a rough few years for Walker, who has struggled with debt and bankruptcy issues. Since December 2010, he’s played for the Idaho Stampede, an NBA D-League team. Last night, he announced his retirement to his teammates in the locker room following their win against the Bakersfield Jam. An official announcement will come next month in Chicago.

Looking back at his 12-year NBA career, Walker spent his best years with the Boston Celtics, where he averaged over 20 points in five of his eight seasons. He’s a three-time NBA All-Star, and of course, a member of the 1996 National Championship team.

Happy trails, Antoine.

24 Comments for Antoine Walker is retiring

1. Nutter Butter
    1:04 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

He’s retired in the same sense that those Walmart greeters are retired. Haha.

2. mocha
    1:05 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

“cause there ain’t no fours”

3. WKY Dude
    1:07 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

Hope he finds a way to get his life together. It’s going to be real tough.

4. MKG for supreme ruler of the universe.
    1:14 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

He should start a business as a speaker for young college athletes, stressing the importance of managing your money. I’m not joking.

5. Old Number
    1:19 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

My least favorite Wildcat of all time- my least favorite Wildcat of all time. Will more child support payments go unpaid? My understanding is that it is difficult to pay bills without a job.

6. ukcat1
    1:22 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

Do I recall incorrectly? but didn’t Rick Pitino say he was setting up those players going to the NBA with reputable business advisors to help them manage their money. It is such a shame when you think that if he had put 10% of his money in a cd, he could have lived VERY comfortably on the interest for the rest of his life. At least at some point in his life he will have an NBA pension.

7. kyblue
    1:23 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

agree with 4 …. that would be a good job. And it might just save a future of some young man coming up.

8. strange brew
    1:42 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

Sad that Walker threw all that talent to waste. Kids, this is what not to do with your life.

9. shocked
    1:54 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

Would expect more sympathy from bbn…AW was such an awesome wildcat, no way we win in ’96 without the shimmy! I still love the guy….His life will make an incredible screenplay, fully expect Twan to be on top again, good luck to you big fella…

10. tob
    1:58 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

#1, you nailed it. haha I hope he gets it all together. Just goes to show you where lack of responsibility and accountability will land you, no matter how much your getting paid

11. CatGrad7072
    2:01 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

I always heard he made @110 million in his NBA career.
    To blow through that much cash must be some sort of a record; very impressive fiscal mismanagement!

12. Chad
    2:15 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

#11 he is one of two players in NBA history to make over 90 million, win a NCAA title, and a NBA title.. The other player…….. Michael Jordan. Toines problem is that he lived MJ’s life style without MJ’s financial sense and Endorsements. Supposedly Tonie had tons of people around him that where using him for his money. I heard someone say he had an amazingly large payroll. You can’t live like that and expect your money to last.

13. SeaBlue
    2:22 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

So sad. He was one of the greatest Cats ever.

14. like a bazz
    2:30 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

add to that this weekend warren sapp filing for bankruptcy … this article states sapp makes over $100k a month RIGHT NOW and is filing for bankruptcy – http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-04-07/warren-sapp-bankruptcy-florida/54097296/1

if you have $6.45m in assets, but owe $6.7m you get to file? that’s effing lazy

15. Twan can afford a data plan?

16. Dane Brammage
    2:36 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

The Players Union should require regular deposits of a minimum of 15% of a player’s annual contract into an investment vehicle (similar to a 401K) to address retirement. He is not the first player to mismanage a fortune. He should be the last.

17. BlueCat
    2:39 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

Hate this for AW and hope he gets it together. No excuse for not doing what’s right, but I do wish him well.

18. 44 Stitches
    2:52 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

@8…”threw all his talent to waste.” What are you talking about? Walker played 12 seasons in the NBA. He threw his money to waste. Not his talent.

19. Maxbps8
    3:07 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

#6…Just b/c Coach Pitino set him/them up w/ good financial advisors does not mean they (AW) took their advice and listened to them. I have read that AW’s specific problem was his entourage; which is particularly unfortunate b/c it shows that, most likely, AW’s HEART was in the RIGHT PLACE = trying to take care of family and friends. He just was not mature enough to realize that (1) there is only so much you can HELP SOMEONE before they have to help themselves (to something OTHER than YOUR $$$). (2) You cannot help others when you struggling for air. And (3) some don’t want your help; they want your MONEY.

20. Maxbps8
    3:12 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

AW all the best, brother. If I were you (my advice), (1) become a consultant to young nba’ers (obviously those from KentuckY could be your brean-n-butter). Advise them on (1) the ins-and-outs of nba life: pitfalls, snakes, up side(s), etc…(NON-financial) (2) basketball consultants (specifically basketball moves, insights, etc…. And (3) Financial Management: what TO DO and what NOT to do with your money. Start with writing a book about your experiences. With the right-writer, you could make more than enough to live well AND set up the aforementioned consultantcy position-business. (Call or Write me if you need a writer.)

21. matt
    9:07 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

maybe he should run for public office. with his money managing skills he would fit right in witht the federal government.

22. the Big Dog
    9:23 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

It’s a shame that he didn’t make better decisions in his life. It was hard to like this guy.

23. UKfirstTRANSYsecond
    9:33 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

Moved from Lexington to Chicago the same year Antoine went pro. He played a lot of summer league games on the South Side that I got to see. Watching him goof, clown and insist on having fun on the court, play with style, told me all I ever needed to know about him IN A GOOD WAY. Can’t blame a guy for having an irrepressible personality. I think people diss him because of his freeform, unconventional, color-outside-the-lines approach to The Game, and I think it fuels the rest of the criticism. Anyway, I grew to love and understand the guy. And maybe that same “50-cent head” cost him the bounty his career brought him, but he was a good guy and a GREAT Wildcat. And hey, ain’t that what we’re here for?

24. therealonemaco
    11:06 pm April 8, 2012 Permalink

Sorry for spilling you wings in 96 @ southland bowling ally.I was rocking an Iverson jersey in my own City(after a Championship?????).Wanted to buy you some replacement wings but you couldnt take em (violation IDK)heard at about 2 am that night you left early. always thought I was that fan that blew it ,come on 97 is for sure with Antoine!!!!Hope everything work out brother 1luv ,
    onemaco