Antigua watched Chris Walker last night

While John Calipari and Kenny Payne were at Bullitt East watching Derek Willis last night, Orlando Antigua was on a road trip of his own. Coach O was in Holmes County, Florida to watch 2013 power forward Chris Walker. Walker, of course, is the young man who has been very vocal on Twitter about his recruitment, especially with Kentucky. Just last week, he tweeted, “UK not interested in me so ill do the same when they get interested ill get interested also.” He also said UK is not in his top three but they are in the top ten.

Hopefully, seeing Antigua in the crowd made the top ten recruit feel loved. Something certainly got him fired up because he scored 30 points with 16 rebounds, 5 steals, and 4 assists in the win.

He hasn’t tweeted about UK yet today but I’m sure one will be coming soon.

Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

27 Comments for Antigua watched Chris Walker last night

1. mocha
    11:21 am December 7, 2011 Permalink

is it just me or does a kid who tweets things like that (making himself seem like he is the only recruit out there) seem to obsessed with himself?

2. Mahabharata
    11:23 am December 7, 2011 Permalink

In the words of McCarty and Mercer in the video below.. “stay humble young lad”

3. GoCats2
    11:29 am December 7, 2011 Permalink

I might sound like Old Man yells at cloud but I really hate Twitter.

4. ashland cat
    11:30 am December 7, 2011 Permalink

Do we really want this dude?

5. RidgeRunner
    11:32 am December 7, 2011 Permalink

Look we can get any player we want. Yes, the fans will give support to any young man who comes to UK. However, as with Wroten…the jury is still out for me on this one. Perhaps it was a tweet at the moment without thinking or the kid perhaps has a real attitude. Either way…he makes no great first impressions right now with most fans if they are honest. We will see.

6. Han
    11:34 am December 7, 2011 Permalink

The last time a top recruit tweeted this much about UK and wanting an offer was Tony Wroten. Cal never went after him. If you want to play at UK, Walker, show Cal with your play. If you need people watching your twitter all the time, get a reality show.

7. BCO
    11:36 am December 7, 2011 Permalink

Most people think grades are the main reason and that he wont qualify. If thats the case, very smart on Cals part on not pursuing him too hard until he proves he can make it in the classroom.

8. KSR Spy
    11:36 am December 7, 2011 Permalink

I like his passion. If you read into the message…he would really really like to be recruited by Kentucky. He is just upset that Kentucky hasn’t shown interest. Just think if you were a great recruit and you really really wanted to go to a certain school. You worked your butt of and became a top player and hoped to get contacted by said school…then didnt…you would be incredibly upset. He is just young and lashed out via twitter expressing his disappointment that the team he would LOVE to play for hadn’t contacted him.

9. RidgeRunner
    11:41 am December 7, 2011 Permalink

8…May be but do you know him well enough to express that for sure? No, none of us do. So there is a question in a rational persons mind that “which is it”…is he as you say (and he may be) or does he have a real attitude that was surfaced in that tweet. It’s good human nature to defend these kids and I respect that…at the same time, lets see how he and this plays out before we make any rash decision good or bad. By the way, I hope your right…seriously.

But…Thats why the jury is still out for me…

10. BigBlue1976
    11:50 am December 7, 2011 Permalink

Cal seems to be very good at finding kids with the right attitude. If it plays out that he gets an offer and comes to UK, then I will trust that he was actually a good kid and Cal was able to see it.

11. Nassau65
    12:05 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Likely, none of us will ever know what it’s like to be a teenager nearly 7 feet tall, be this good at something, and have as much attention thrown at us as these kids do at such a young age. Cal does-he knows how these kids think, and how to deal with them. I think i’ll let him handle it, he makes more than i do anyway and i’m pretty sure he’s a better coach than anyone that would spend their time posting on a fan site. Take care of this, would you Cal?

12. FourThinInches
    12:09 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

The kid clearly wants to play for UK. With no looks, or talks from Cal and Co. about this kid what would you do? He said he was interested in UK on his twitter account and reached out. Guess what it paid off and UK sent someone to scout him out. Twitter is changing the game up. Recruits post something on twitter and its front page news on sports sites…. These kids are in high school. I did some pretty stupid stuff when i was in high school. Imagine if you had a twitter account and were a prized BBall recruit.

13. AxeCop
    12:16 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

3. You do and don’t use it if you don’t like it.

14. RidgeRunner
    12:30 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

13…LOL

15. ukfan
    12:31 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

For one he is only a 16 year old junior in high school, and two Cal knows exactly what he is doing. by not pursuing him as hard as walker would like Cal is forcing the young kid to work harder and earn Cals attention. their are numerous recruits who beg for Cals attention and he does the samething to them

16. Justin
    12:41 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Listen this guy is playing games with everyone and it enjoying the process. do not read into anything he is saying it will make you go crazy

IMO this kid is either going to UF/FSU. too many ties in the state of florida but you never know.

17. TheNewOriginal
    12:46 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

11/ Don’t be bringing that logic and common sense crap into the KSR house.

18. Rambo
    12:49 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

If you tweet, they will come!

19. 19snl60
    12:54 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

any news on jarnel stokes, died out quickly

20. R K Oates
    12:54 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Next!

21. Nassau65
    1:17 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

17. sorry man, i should’ve known better.
    Now, where’s that bottle of Woodford i hid from the wife? Oh, there it is.

22. kentuckyjoe
    2:52 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

that’s a fabulous stat line he had last night. Great work young man.

23. SagaciousMind
    2:54 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

I really dont think Cal is that interested. If he was, he would be labled a top target and they would be out to see him frequently. If you’ve noticed, anytime he whines and complains, UK does send someone out to appease him. If you ask me, Walker is merely a back up plan and that is why when Cal sees he’s unhappy, he sends someone. If Cal is watching Willis instead, tells me they have more interest in Willis than Walker. Willis isnt whining on twitter and doing things like Wroten did. Cal stopped recruiting Quincy Miller for character issues so character is very important to Cal. I guess it would be hard for a teenager who dominates on their team to realize that a coach has put them in the back seat to other players. Either way, grow up and show some maturity or you’ll never end up in blue.

24. uk3k
    3:22 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

kid can ball, but Cal knows best if he is the whole package or if he is trouble.

in cal we trust.

25. Nassau65
    3:43 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

see

26. Hoss_Cat
    3:59 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

HILARIOUS,

that’s like saying to a girl, “Sorry, I’m not interested in you! HA!” , but if you ever want to go out with me, I’m game! LMAO

27. WildBlueYonder
    5:39 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

After hearing all of the hype and living 25 miles from Bonifay, I drove over and watched the game (which HCHS won over Graceville 65-47). The kid has a ton of talent, but not much help. Understandably, he is the go-to guy on the team. It is a pretty small school that doesn’t play any powerhouses, so his stat line is a little deceptive. No different than many other stat stuffers, though.
    I will probably watch him again in at Ponce de Leon, which is only 10 miles from me. I will keep an eye on him since he will be playing several games within easy driving distance for me.