Anthony Davis is officially a Pelican

Last night’s 12-point loss to the Dallas Mavericks marked the end of the Hornets era in New Orleans; today, the Pelicans take flight. One of the worst nicknames in the history of professional sports became effective immediately once the NBA regular season ended for the NO, meaning Anthony Davis and Darius Miller are officially Pelicans now.

What I thought was just a really bad joke and a really good photoshop job, is now a reality. There is no turning back, folks. The Pelicans of New Orleans are real.

Thoughts?

Article written by Drew Franklin

49 Comments for Anthony Davis is officially a Pelican

1. Steely Dan
    11:17 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

I’d rather play for the Detroit CrackDealers

2. Chris
    11:18 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

The colors and Logo are a drastic improvement!

3. SgtEusmc
    11:18 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Maybe they should just change their entire name to
    The “Delta Dives”
    ???

4. Taylor
    11:19 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

I like the new name. much more appropriate for NOLA than the Hornets…a recycled NBA nickname

5. PelicanLover
    11:20 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

I thought Pelicans were a bad mascot at first too, but it’s better than the Jazz, Heat, Wizards, and Magic at least. I prefer names that have something to do with the area of the team, and pelicans gets the job done.

6. Better Than or Equal To
    11:21 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Magic, Thunder, Wizards, Nets, Raptors, Lightening, Mighty Ducks, Blue Jackets, Browns.

7. JackB
    11:23 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Thoughts? No. Not really.

My name for NOLA? “Smells like piss, but you get used to it after six weeks or six Hurricanes.”

#5- Miami is hot and Orlando has the Magic Kingdom. I can’t defend Wizards and Jazz (in Utah).

8. H.A. Milton
    11:24 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

I was set to get my AD Hornets jersey until this story came out. Now it is reality, and the NBA has lost revenue because of poor branding. Anyone know where I can get an authentic UK #23?

9. Al's IndiCats
    11:27 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

I just heard they are expanding the NBA by two teams, one in Omaha Nebraska, and the other in Kissamee Fla. and since Old Rick done so well this year, he and Jurrich are taking the coaching and GM Jobs at the Kissamee, their names will be The Kissazzes!

10. Scratch
    11:28 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

I’m torn on this. Should a team change their mascot when they change cities? Part of me wants to say yes. But the LA Lakers just sound right. Same with the San Francisco Giants. However, I think New Orleans should take the Jazz back from Utah. They could call Utah The Borings, or something

11. Scott
    11:28 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Look up pelican attacks on youtube. THEY ARE BLOODTHIRSTY DEATH MACHINES! Hornets can sting and hurt like hell, but Pelicans will swallow their prey whole and with a smile on their bill.

12. voice of reason
    11:31 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

This nickname is not nearly as bad as people think it is compared to other names. The Jazz? The Bucks? The Bobcats? Once people get used to it like they did those names, it won’t be nearly as “dumb”

13. B-LORD
    11:33 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

I’ll just call them the ‘Cans.

14. BobD
    11:33 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

It’s not as bad if you actually check out their logos.

15. Bubba Earl
    11:34 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

I would rather be called a Pelican than a cardinal!!

16. lkj
    11:34 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Hey guys! I need help. When does the 2013-2014 men’s basketball schedule come out?

17. Know your stuff
    11:34 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

#5

Magic refers to Disney World.
    Heat refers to the climate in Miami.
    Jazz were originally in New Orleans and kept the same name when they moved to Utah in the 70s.

The wizards used to be the bullets, as we all know, but they wanted to change it to be a less violent name. A contest was held to choose a new name and the choices were narrowed to the Dragons, Express, Stallions, Sea Dogs, or Wizards. And obviously, Wizards won.

18. kyeric
    11:38 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

There are no real Lakes in LA, Jazz in Utah, Grizzly Bears in Memphis, or Basketball in Charlotte (bazinga!). I think the Pelican name is as funky as a Jackie Moon hook shot!

19. AnthonyBBN
    11:40 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Some team should adopt The Mantis Shrimp as their mascot.

20. barn
    11:44 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

i think it’s a great name. right up there with the ducks. it’s also the state bird of louisiana

21. noel
    11:45 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

For starters, the colors of the Pelicans are A LOT better. Secondly, I don’t think the name is as bad as people make it out to be. The Pelicans are a symbol of New Orleans and make much more sense than the Hornets. It is a name the people of Louisiana can get behind and thats really all that matters.

22. Crazy
    11:46 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Call me crazy, but I like it.

23. killer
    11:47 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Watch this killer whale waste a pelican during a show… 0:56 mark for the attack.

Stupid pelican..

24. KEVIN BURTON
    11:47 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Dang…that’s one ugly dude!

25. Matt
    11:49 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

8. I am pretty sure there will be alot more NOLA fans that already have Hornets jerseys that buy these new Pelicans jerseys to support their team than people like you who decide not to buy a jersey at all because of the change. The Pelicans and the NBA will be just fine without you buying a jersey.

26. Bbn#1
    11:49 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

No love for boogie today 36 and 22 last night

27. ukfaninohio
    11:57 am April 18, 2013 Permalink

Man it’s all over the radio here in the buckeye state that cal is number one on cleveland’s wish list.Saying his relationship with lebron would help bring him back and he has proven he can coach nba players.Should we be worried here?

28. Common Sense
    12:01 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

With the recruiting class we have coming in Cal would have to be the all time biggest idiot to take that job. Cleveland? Ugh!

The Pelicans. Not an intimidating team name. How do you get guys fired up to play for the Pelicans. ‘Come on, guys! We’re Pelicans! We can swallow big fish whole!’?!?! WTF?!!!

29. H.A. Milton
    12:10 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

25, thanks for the opin. The bigger idea I was getting at is that, while it is something local folks can get behind, the mascot is not something the national fans seem to be too excited about. So while the NBA will be fine, they have seriously limited the marketability of this franchise to the local fans.

30. Wiredcat
    12:11 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think it’s bad at all. At first I thought it sucked, but it’s grown on me. Depending on the logo, this could actually be pretty fresh.

31. SuperTroy
    12:15 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

I thought this was a joke too. Can’t believe they actually went through with it. The will never be able to woo free agents to this name. A big time FA isn’t gonna say, “I’ll be taking my talents to New Orleans and I’m gonna be a Pelican!!”
    I’ve said it for years now: they should give the name “Jazz” back to New Orleans and make Utah rename the franchise. I’m thinking the “Polygamists”, or maybe just “‘Mists”. That’s that be a WNBA name, but no one would probably notice. Maybe the Utah “Salt”?

32. Biglaw Dawgin'
    12:18 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

It’s different, and I like it. I agree with 4, the “recycled” NBA nicknames are just lazy. Teams like the Utah Jazz should join in on this.

33. Biglaw Dawgin'
    12:22 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

27 – The Cavs have been talking about wanting LeBron back ever since he left. He’s not going back. And Cal is not going to the armpit of America to coach in that dump of a city. If Cal were to ever leave for the NBA it would be to a historic team or a good market. Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, Brooklyn, etc. Check off Cal going to Cleveland on your list of things to worry about.

34. UK Freshmen
    12:25 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

Good Gawd. I’m hanging up that picture to keep the varmints away.

35. Jumpman78
    12:25 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

31. ????? Players go for the money or other players, not the nickname.

36. Atlanta Hawks
    12:29 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

Hey NO, give us our logo back!

37. football school
    12:37 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

Is it football season yet?

38. henry earl
    12:39 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

i don’t understand how people dont think this is awesome. pelicans have strong connections to new orleans and the name fits way better than “hornets” does. also pelicans are kind of scary and bad ass http://youtu.be/POTUVc5wD8I?t=28s

39. NotPelican
    12:43 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

New Orleans Swallows!

40. smuthehank
    1:08 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

i can’t wait until rappers get a hold of pelicans gear. that’ll be hilarious

41. wHY?
    1:32 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

Does a mascot have to be bad ass? I kind of just like names that represent the host city. There probably hasn’t been a raptor in Toronto in millions of year, but they sure are scary! All the way to the lottery! A mascot doesn’t mean a team will play any different. It should represent the people they play for, a la KY Colonels.

I feel like this is just a reason to bash someone. Sports writers make a big dea about the dumbest of thngs.

42. LackintaLlent
    1:42 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

team is sooooooo awfuLl that they ought to be renamed the “pelican’ts”!!!
    (lmao)

43. David
    2:27 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

I love it. It has a connection to the state of LA. Lettering and colors are better (Teal was an ugly holdover from the 80s and 90s.) Logos are much better. A nice classic, sharp looking team brand now.

44. Tim
    3:29 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

Good! That means the Hornets can come back to Charlotte where it belongs! Serves them right for fixing the lotto, but MKG was a sweet second choice. Go Cats!

45. Mikey
    4:08 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

does anybody else think his eyebrow looks like a pelican? like the way you used to draw them when you were a kid?

46. The Juggernaut
    5:15 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

The idea that all team mascots should be aggressive, fearsome creatures/characters is one that has only come about very recently, yet some people seem to think that is a default rule of some type.

If it has always been that way there would be no:

Orioles, Red Sox, White Sox, Astros, Royals, Angels, Twins, Yankees, Athletics, Mariners, Blue Jays, Cubs, Reds, Rockies, Dodgers, Marlins, Brewers, Mets, Phillies, Padres, Cardinals,

or

Browns, Steelers, Texans, Colts, Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Broncos, Chargers, Packers, Saints, Cardinals, 49ers

…and that’s just from MLB and the NFL. If teams were renamed under this current notion of what a mascot is supposed to be, we’d lose all that interesting diversity and end up with a bunch of jungle cats and birds of prey.

47. rb
    6:39 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

nope cant do it

48. Roland
    7:41 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

AD’s game underwear is Pelican Briefs.
    I thought Denzel Washington and Julia Roberts were great in “The Pelican Brief”s.

49. Ibescootch
    9:39 pm April 18, 2013 Permalink

I guess my mental litmus test for team names is if you have to explain it and defend it, then it may not be the best name. A team name should just immediately incite emotion or energy. We shouldn’t have to read a Wikipedia article to understand the psychology of the name…