Anthony Davis blocks a lot of shots

A KSR reader passed an interesting stat along to me this morning and it’s too good not to share. Anthony Davis is the 39th best shot blocker in Kentucky history. That’s not for one season, either — that’s all-time. ALL-TIME. Think about that for a second. Anthony Davis has only played in eight games in his career. He’s averaging 4.5 blocks per game. If he keeps swatting shots at that pace (or even close to it), he’ll be top five all-time with Jamaal Magloire, Melvin Turpin, Sam Bowie, and Andre Riddick.

That’s absurd.

Magloire, Turpin, and Riddick were four year players; Bowie left after three. Davis is on his way to joining them in the top five after just one season.

Oh, and he’s No. 1 in career field goal percentage (67.24%). I know it’s early, but that number probably won’t be dropping too much lower if the lobs keep going his way.

#BrowDown

Article written by Drew Franklin

24 Comments for Anthony Davis blocks a lot of shots

1. blueink
    5:04 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

so…you’re saying he’s good?

2. tdogg4033011
    5:06 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

1) yep … I think thats what he is trying to say !!!

3. anthony davis's new nick name..
    5:07 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

i want to be the first to nickname mr. anthony davis with a name that is much deserving and one that will stick with him forever…!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DR BLOCKINSTIEN……………….. I LOVE IT AND I HOPE THE WORLD DOES TOO/.///// thks matt

4. Anthony Davis Has A Posse
    5:08 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

(This comment was blocked by Anthony Davis)

5. yep
    5:43 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Correct me if I am wrong, but Bowie did not leave after 3 seasons. He played only 3 season due to injuries (broken leg due to a car accident?)

6. boots45
    5:45 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Yep, you are correct…yep

7. jason the caller
    5:45 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Bowie came to UK in the late 70’s and stayed until the mid-80’s. I thought he would never leave.

8. He's awesome but...
    5:48 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Anothy Davis is block machine, but I doubt he will continue on his 4.5 per game pace. Not too many more undersized cupcakes after the end of this month. That said, I do think he’ll get a triple double, probably against the Cards.

9. Miguel
    5:51 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

May be my favorite cat to watch play of all time. I’d like to see a percentage of shots blocked and fg percentage figures when Davis is a primary or secondary defender.

10. BPsycho
    5:58 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

#4 +1

11. UKgrad1999
    6:04 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Dr Blockenstein? You do know lil bros only NCAA POY was Dr Dunkenstein right?
    No thanks

12. Radio Ron
    6:15 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Hey Yep!
    Allow Radio Ron to set the record straight.
    You are correct in saying Bowie did not leave early. He played thru his senior season, but sat out almost 2 years because of a shin-bone injury (not related to any accident). You might be thinking of a great UK player (Mike Casey) who broke his leg in an auto accident in the late 60s.

13. Mitch Barnhart
    6:18 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Bowie spent as many years at UK as it took Mr. Franklin to graduate from the sixth grade.

14. blueblooded
    6:23 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Bowie was here 5 years but only competed in three due to injuries to his legs.

15. mores
    6:30 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Davis blocks 15% of other teams’ 2 point attempts; the team as a whole blocks an absurd 25.8%, which is 1st in the country by, like, a lot. Next are UConn, Syracuse and…Auburn?

16. Get It
    7:13 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

It’s impressive none-the-less, but they have only been tracking blocks as an official stat since 1985-86 season.

Which excludes players from 5 national cahmpionship teams and decades of elite players.

17. Dee
    7:40 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

You are welcome….(I liked my ranking of uni-brows)…

18. Roofus Howls
    7:41 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Bowie wasn’t hurt in a car wreck though, just unfortunate with injuries. Took a redshirt year and lost another year (basically) to injury.

19. Jeff
    8:03 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

#5 You are correct, Bowie only played 3 seasons, sat out 2 with his broken leg. His a fine American for staying 5 years.

20. Zeus
    8:49 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

How ’bout Blockalot Thunder?

21. Pcefrog5
    8:56 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

How about “The Swatsinator”
    the Terminator traveled back in time to kill you all…..
    the Swatsinator travels across the lane to swat the ball !

22. Chester
    1:40 am December 8, 2011 Permalink

I ran into this kid walking into the Pros vs. Dominicans game at the YUM! Center in Louisville and was highly impressed. He posed for several pictures with fans (including one with my buddy), talked to supporters and made a conscious effort to show his allegiance to the BBN. He embodies what it means it be a Wildcat…what about that last second block???? Browch (ouch)!!!! #GetAHoltOfEm! #BoutItBo!

23. anthony davis's new nick name..
    1:27 pm December 8, 2011 Permalink

?

24. Catmandoo
    4:01 pm December 8, 2011 Permalink

He doesn’t just block shots out of bounds he blocks them to other Cats or grabs the block which is the best because players hesitate more after a mind altering block. Does any player want to be blocked and be on espn for failing? I think Anthony’s biggest block of the year is still in the future but the Henson block was amazing.