Andy Katz to UK: ‘It’ll get better’

What a sad picture

Andy Katz wasn’t about to leave his buddy, John Calipari, out in the cold after the IU loss. The first of five observations that he made in college basketball this week dealt with the game – and unlike most of his ESPN colleagues, his focus was on the Cats.

Kentucky should be able to grow from its loss to Indiana on Saturday. It might not seem that way to upset UK fans, but the Wildcats needed to see how to handle a tough environment and late-game situations. They couldn’t convert at the free-throw line to ice the game and then didn’t do what coach John Calipari and his staff instructed in the final possession — foul a Hoosier, any Hoosier. (Kentucky still had a foul to give and using it would have forced Indiana to take a shot against a set defense.) If the Cats watch those final two possessions and learn what to do in the future, this team will be fine. There’s still title-winning talent on Big Blue.

It’s nice to read some post game positivity. Katz is right about the talent on this team. It will be interesting to see how soon these guys can start to click. Last season, the team didn’t start playing their best basketball until the SEC tournament. I’d prefer not to wait that long, but in the scheme of things the only games that matter will be in the postseason. Until then though, let’s decimate Chattanooga.

Article written by Matthew Hays

52 Comments for Andy Katz to UK: ‘It’ll get better’

1. RidgeRunner
    11:20 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Nice write up, Katz & well put.

2. NBA league pass
    11:20 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

He’s right. This team needs a “teaching moment” for Cal to use. We could have easily lost at the buzzer to UNC because we didn’t execute at the end, but now that it cost us one, I think we’ll respond.

3. GoCats2
    11:22 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Forgive me if I look past our next 4 games and say New Years Rupp needs to be louder than ever.

4. BlueInMI
    11:25 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

I agree. If we can’t learn anything from this loss then it will happen again. We’re gonna see some more intense environments on the road during SEC play so get used to it (probably none as insane as IU though). This team is still as good as anybody and I’m looking forward to March Madness more than ever!

5. Thaxonator
    11:25 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

MKG lending a helping hand, gotta love the guy. Watch the replay and look at Disapearious literally does so under the pile of crazed Hoosier fans

6. RidgeRunner
    11:26 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

3…I’m with you.

My problem is trying to move forward without blasting Jones from this point forward. I’m so pissed at him and not the loss. I have to move past it but its hard when your talking about a pre season all american quitting and pouting for an entire game.

hell, and not to apologize and say he will get it together is the worst part. it’s (no effort for a game) is unheard of if ya think about it.

7. fish on
    11:26 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

beckham is now eligible to play… anyone know if he’ll be able to help us?

8. GreatNewsGuys!!
    11:26 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Teddy Bridgewater was just named the 1st team freshmen All American QB!!! Isn’t it about time for UK fans to start telling everyone they don’t really care about football anyway?

9. NoJortsNoProblem
    11:28 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Watch the video – I loved how MKG ran over to Miller to pick him up. That’s a great show of leadership and teamwork, win or lose.

10. matt
    11:29 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

aww thanks andy for thinking our little kitty cats can still win it all

11. roydillard
    11:31 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

like i said earlier it is not the end but the begining! learn from it and move on lose now when later, what did we think we where going 38-0 come on…..

12. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    11:33 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

7 beckham is a guard, so i doubt he will be able to help us much since Cal utilizes his forwards similarly to his guards and he likes to have his best 5 on the floor.

13. DirtyD
    11:35 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Look who the first person to miller is MKG baby!! Got to love that kid by tournament time he is gonna be crazy!! Watch and c this team has been waiting on somebody to take the reigns, I believe the Kidd has decided that he is tired of just getting talked about flying under the radar and has decided that he is gonna have to be the man. This kid hasn’t lost in school and he is not gonna start now all he knows is win win win!!!

14. RidgeRunner
    11:36 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

PreSeason All American fact:

Sullinger put more effort in the Ohio State game by cheering on the bench than Jones did when he was playing.
    🙁

15. Dude
    11:36 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

#teampunchdickievinthevoicebox

16. Same old Shit!
    11:38 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Problem is we don’t learn from our mistakes. Cal tells them to go out and do the same old shit. I guess part of being a “players first” program is letting the players do what they want. Practice free throws – no we will just dunk on each other. Practice end of game scenarios – no we will just dunk on each other. Practice good fundamental three point shooting defense – no we will just dunk on each other. We will never hang #8 with Cal. He just does not push his players to learn from mistakes.

17. kc
    11:39 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Please tell me you clowns don’t actually like that POS Matt Jones. That guy was talking about a 75 point beatdown and sending IU fans back to their “windmills and tractors.” Does he know what the rest of the country thinks about the state of Kentucky… much worse reputation than Indiana (and i have lived in 6 different states on both coasts.) He claims how shitty of a town Bloomington is, even though the IU campus and Bloomington in general are ALWAYS ranked in the top 5 of beatiful college towns/campuses in the country and one of the most liberal cities in the midwest. He was also claiming that Assembly Hall was filled 10% with UK fans. HA! I was at the game in the lower level and the general consensus was there were around 300… far less than the 2,000 that he claimed. Guy is a complete d-bag tool. That is all.

18. SexnNursinHomes
    11:40 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

7- Beckham has a wicked bend on his corner kicks.

19. Mr Schwump
    11:42 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

What the hell does he know? He’s just a media idiot.

20. Ky _Tom
    11:44 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Say what you like, but I believe no one on the UK staff had any idea of what they were walking into Saturday. Assembly Hall is a very special gym. Its not a Arena at all, nothing like Rupp, and nothing like any place these young Cats have played before. Tom Crain used that to help his team win. It was louder than any game this year, the cat calls and boo’s at the UK players were raining down, and I believe that this got under Terrence Jones skin, got him so rattled he couldn’t do anything. Suprising as that may sound, I believe it to be true, because Terrence Jones played like he was a walk on, and out of place on the floor. jmho…

21. beau
    11:47 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

16) Good rant now please go back to your coloring book and stop acting like you have ANY idea what Cal’s practices are like, not to mention his coaching ability. He’s one of the better coaches around, not only at developing talent but getting them to play to his style.

22. Ky _Tom
    11:48 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

I missed the radio show today, did the “”Truth” call in..?

23. RidgeRunner
    11:49 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

21…agreed.

24. Al B. Sure
    11:52 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

Some of these comments should really be deleted. Calling someone a POS? Wow. Classy. Cal tells them to go out and do the same old shit? Really? We will never hang #8 with Cal? He just does not push his players to learn from mistakes? Does this guy have any clue what he is talking about? We lost ONE GAME by ONE POINT. We are a much better team under Cal than we were under either Billy G or Tubby Smith, and at this point in their careers, I honestly feel that Cal is a better coach than Pitino. I’m so sure that keyboard warriors could do a better job… NOT! We lost a game, the season is not over. Our team will learn a lot from this bump in the road.

25. Al B. Sure
    11:56 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

I hope Jones and/or any future recruits don’t come to this site and view all the negative comments. No one will ever want to play for UK if they get slammed repeatedly for having a bad game. I’m sure Cal will sort things out with Jones and fix whatever was broken on Saturday, but people really need to let up on him. Is this how we want the players to view the BBN? What happened to being the best fans in the world? Now we are negative and nitpicky and flat out mean to our players, who we are supposed to support? I’m glad Jones is on our team and I know he will bounce back. I hope he doesn’t look back and regret his decision to come to UK once he is a star in the NBA because of a vocal minority of idiot “fans”.

26. Ky _Tom
    11:56 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

I think its time to move on, to forget about IU and start thinking about Loserville and Slick Rick. Can Mr Teague hang with Peyton Siva? that is the question. After watching the mistakes and turnovers by Teague, Is Ricky Boy sitting back and having the last laugh?

27. ThankfulCat
    11:58 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

#17

Go inflate your blow up doll date for tonight.

and remember, letting “her” sit in the front seat won’t qualify you to ride in the HOV lane on the interstate

28. Kernel Sanders
    11:59 am December 12, 2011 Permalink

LOL ridgerunner — in post #6 you say “I have to move past it” (meaning Jones’ bad game), but it only took you until post #14 to bring it up again. Let it go.

29. DirtyD
    12:00 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

everybody bitch”n about cal on here should understand that he cant dive on loose balls block people out and run out on the court and foul a player!!!I hate this loss it made me sick to my stomach but if cal was at fault for anything it was not benching jones earlier!

30. RidgeRunner
    12:01 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

28..you are right sir. I am wrong and I know you are right. Will do better. Hope ya kinda understand.

Go Big Blue.

31. MillerTime
    12:03 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

25. I totally agree. Most of the people that bash on Jones have probably never stepped the foot on a basketball court…let alone against 10,000+ screaming banchies in Assembly Hall.

32. RidgeRunner
    12:03 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

28…#25 pushed me —but I held back. The “he had a bad game” thing kills me…lol

33. Doom or Gloom
    12:04 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Cal took 6 guys to the Final Four last year and they lost almost every road game. Trust me, we will be fine. Losses are going to happen and it does not matter. If UK fans would quit running their suckers so much they wouldnt get so upset over a lose. A lot of the fans can deal with the lose, its facing the egg in the face they get after a loss. Trust me, if you just keep the pie hole shut, losing a game here or there is no big deal, and it will reduce the magnitude of the game to being what it is actually is…a NONCONFERENCE GAME! IT IS ONE GAME PEOPLE!!!

34. OrangeCats
    12:05 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

This was my first reaction as well. Sure, while it was a bummer to lose when that ball went through, I didn’t like the idea of being undefeated later in the season. When that happens, the media focus can easily become “these guys are unbeatable” and a young player begins to believe that. This way, the Cats have some things to focus and work on…

Well put Katz….

35. StLouisBBFan
    12:07 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

All bashing aside, I am always astonished that players have trouble getting up for a game . . . any game. I play old man league games at this point and when the whistle blows, it’s always game on . . . regardless of opponent or score. Is Kidd the only one on the team with that kind of passion? It’s just shocking . . . at the very least Jones should have given effort regardless of the stat line. Even a hustling 0 0 0 is acceptable . . . if hustling. Just shocking in general really.

36. Bluebarn
    12:09 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

#4 You are correct. Crean has given other teams a recipe for attacking Kentucky. So you ca be sure that every arena that Kentucky plays in this year will have more entusiastic fans than usual, teams will take the ball directly to Anthony Davis’ body to get him in foul trouble, they will out hustle and mock Terrance Jones to get him to quit, and they will test the inside out three point defense.
    Don’t get me wrong, with UK’s talent all of the above will be hard to accomplish, but until this team shows that it has learned from the experience. They wil see it all, again and again…

37. Same old Shit!
    12:11 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

24 – I am sure your mommy told you that your were special and your opinion is the only one that counts, but welcome to the real world, everyone is entitled to their own thoughts. Mine just so happen to be backed by fact and history. Cal has lost a national title, an elite eight game, and a final four game – all due to the same few things; poor FT shooting, lousy perimiter defense, and a lack of discpiline in the final seconds. Please tell me where I am wrong you pathetic little bitch!

38. Wildcat Kyle
    12:16 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Just listened to the Dan Patrick show Tom Crean was on via telephone and DP said “Do you still feel like leaving Marquette for IU wasnt worth it”, like u said last year. Crean was stunned and replied “I dont know if I worded like that” DP shook his head and laughed. Crean was stunned. IU fans can live off of this win for years. UK has “bigger fish to fry” so to speak. We r after the big prize.

39. Same old Shit!
    12:19 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Cal has lost a national title game, an elite 8 game, and a final four game – all due to poor free throw shooting, a lack of perimiter defense, and undisciplined last second play, please tell me where I am wrong here?

40. Sorry excuse
    12:22 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Assembly hall was loud, fans cheered against the Cats, people were roudy. Wow – how are we going to win against FLorida/Vandy/Tenn and all other road games? Will they not be loud and cheering against us?????

41. me
    12:27 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Why does Jones owe anyone an apology. If you have ever played sports, you know these days happen. I am a huge UK fan for 37 years now, but our fans really amaze me at how fast you push the panic button. There are pill out there for these kind of anxieties.

42. explorer
    12:29 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

#39, that can be said for nearly 90% of all lost games. Teams must execute in the final minutes to win close games. Sometimes is coaching mistakes, but most of the time it comes down to who makes a play and who doesn’t. Your analysis means absolutely nothing.

43. Sorry excuse
    12:32 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Why didn’t we foul at the end?????

44. bluesince66
    12:36 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Same old Shit are you really that big a dumb ass ? You have no ideal what Cal does at practice and tells his players. What happens on the court is not what is always coached. Didn’t see Cal on the floor playing any of those games, so that’s where you are wrong. If you’ve coached anything you would know you can go over and over things, but in the heat of the moment things may not turn out the way you planned and practiced.

45. Same old Shit!
    12:39 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Idea – any conception existing in the mind as a result of mental understanding, awareness, or activity.

Ideal – a conception of something in its perfection.

And I am the dumb ass????

46. In Your World Horatio
    12:39 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Nice job #37. keepin’t it classy, eh? I like particularly your line “everyone is entitled to their own thoughts. Mine just so happen to be backed by fact and history.” And of course your dismissive farewell line says so much about who you are-if we didn’t already know that by yout tag…

47. confessions of a high school basketball coach
    1:05 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Well #BBN, I was there with my 20 year old daughter. Section F, Row 44, Seats 113 and 114. The most hostile environment for a college basketball game I have ever witnessed. The IU people seated near us were kind and gracious. Moving from point A to B was not so welcoming. The students were rabid and vocal and most had no reservations letting us know what they thought of UK. The arena (more like a HS gym) was absolutely deafening. For UK to have a chance to win this game under the adversity of Assembly Hall was unbelievable. Perhaps the most masterful coaching job Coach Cal has pulled off. Down ten late, foul trouble, Jones limited…. (The game intensity was similar to Ohio State in Jersey but remember, Buford missed his 3). IU refused to lose and the Hoosiers finished victorious in a dramatic turn of events. The end of the game was an explosion of a fuse lit on the outside and accelerated in the volatile heat of assembly hall. You can harp on Jones all you want but devote your attention to what an incredible collection of basketball support UK has. We seldom get to “upset” others and because of our expectations a UK defeat is always an “upset”. It was a great college basketball game. Sure we “were” disappointed that UK lost, we are very proud to wear blue and to serve the enemy of the Hoosier state. My daughter said “thanks for taking me” on the way home. 25 years from now she will still recall what a riveting evening we shared together in Bloomington.

48. 19snl60
    1:35 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Jones will be fine, he is a great player at this level and will be at the next. my concern is minutes for eloy,and kyle. their game seems to be doing ok. eloy wants to bang and has for the last few games.kyle looking to pass?what the hell…..shoot

49. bluesince66
    2:08 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Let’s take a vote. My incorrect spelling makes me a dumb ass, or your opinion makes you one.

50. Al B. Sure
    2:43 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Gotta love Internet tough guys.

51. Help Miller
    2:51 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

MKG should have let Miller stay there and look for his leadership skills. He is a joke of a senior.

52. Darius
    8:42 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Do u think miller should shyly every time he gets a touch. What do u want