The “Latest on Andrew Wiggins?”….Not Much

andrew-wiggins

I love the look on Andrew Wiggins face in this picture.

May 15 is the day. Signing Day for the 2013 class and hopefully the day by which all high school kids make their college pick. But that day isn’t set in stone. There is nothing that stops any player from waiting until the day before school starts to pick a college program and when your the most talented player in all the land, all schools will wait on you. However with that said, the Andrew Wiggins decision process looks to be finally coming to an end. Most of the people I have spoken with believe we will get a decision by next week and some optimistic sorts think it could come by Friday. But either way, it is probably close to over. In the grand scheme of recruitments, I have never seen one that has had less real, leaked “information” than that of Andrew Wiggins. No one who would know has talked and those that have talked would not know.

For me, I can only try and read the tea leaves of those involved in the process to determine what will happen. I still dont sense confidence that Kentucky is definitely the pick for Wiggins, but it has been like that for months now. I don’t get the feeling UK is out (as a matter of fact, I think any scenario involved is Wiggins picking between Kentucky and another school), but I dont have the confidence I did about the Twins or Julius Randle…in fact, not even close. Taken individually, I like Kentucky’s chances over every other school, but taken as a group, I think I would still take “field” over the Cats in the final equation. But the reality is that I just don’t know. It is the first recruitment in my lifetime, when he could pick any of four schools and none would shock me. I would still rank the likelihood as UK, UNC, Fla St and then Kansas…but the percentage chance is so small between them, that I have no idea what he will end up doing. In the end, what we are left with is this…questions of “What is the latest on Wiggins?” and the answer being simple…there is no news.

Kentucky will be fine even if they don’t end up getting the best I have seen since Lebron. But remember if he comes, this will be the look on the faces of all UK opponents next season. I can’t wait:

284666_10151459492308153_884461290_n

Article written by Matt Jones

64 Comments for The “Latest on Andrew Wiggins?”….Not Much

1. Mr.economy
    9:43 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Any word yet on Jai Lucas????

2. Mr.economy
    9:45 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

And just how does one join – the Terrapin Club?? And why?

3. Boogie
    9:48 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

“The best I have seen since Lebron” Matt, did you watch John Wall in high school? He was the fastest player I’ve ever seen with the ball in his hands and I’m sure you would agree. Andrew wiggins can jump out of a gym but he is not even slightly polished on any other aspect of his game. Currently, he’s more prospect than player.

4. tmark
    9:49 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Matt ain’t fooling me. I saw the hidden code!

5. Matt Jones
    9:50 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

#3 love Wall and saw them both…Wiggins is a better shooter, leaper, rebounder and scorer. Wall was quicker and a better passer. Relatively equal defenders, although Wall gets more steals. Both were excellent

6. BCO
    9:54 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I was sitting by some big wigs at the East KY Leadership thing last week and two of them kept saying “I cant wait to go bug Matt Jones and ask him where Wiggins is going”. BTW if by chance you wanted the video of you accepting, I have it but its pretty terrible quality.

I really hope we get Wiggins. I know we will be fine without him, but he takes us to a completely different level. We can press and run the other teams guts out and sub out with another McDonalds AA when our starters get tired. Hopefully itll be over soon.

7. Matt Jones
    9:55 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Nice meeting you there #6. It was a great night and I Was really honored

8. UK Grad
    9:56 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I keep thinking if it were Florida St he would have announced by now. Fulford said something about not wanting to tell Xavier Raythen-Mayes and have to see him every day. Is school out yet? With all that said- I think it’s UNC.

9. BCO
    9:57 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I was the guy that introduced myself after the deal was over…meant to tell you Im the Adventure Tourism Director here in Bell County. Which means my job is pretty much haunting Lukas Orbzuts dreams…you did a terrific job and were all damn proud of you down here bud! Keep up the good work!

10. Jason
    9:58 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

#3….you could not possibly be more wrong on what you said. What a terrible, awful post.

11. carlos s
    9:58 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

What if guy doesn’t announce and just shows up on campus.. in this case the JC.

12. Wildcatsteeler
    10:00 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I’m predicting he will go to UNC. With him they will be the only team close to us in talent. He swings the balance for them but for us he’s just another great player on a team full of them. We are loaded at forward so we are fine without him. Plus if he comes that means Wiltjer will play virtually zero minutes next season. I like Wiltjer and I want to see him on the floor. It’s gonna be hard enough for him to take minutes from Randle, Lee, Young and Poythress.

13. Boogie
    10:02 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

@5 I think you’re letting hoopmixtapes fool you. Andrew Wiggins can’t shoot the ball and neither could John Wall. Sure he can some wide open jumpers but so could John Wall. Wiggins’ rebounding numbers are higher simply by the position he plays (wall averaged over 8 per game in high school)

14. ICanHelp
    10:05 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Matt, you need a proofreader. I’d be happy to help for a small fee.

15. Matt Jones
    10:06 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

#13 I have seen Wiggins play five times (and not all star games) and watched him workout….it isnt “mixtapes”…it is game play…and Wiggins is much better

16. LDE
    10:07 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

@12 I like Wiltjer too, but I like winning alot more.

17. jumpman78
    10:10 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins is great, but for what it’s worth, in my opinion, he is the 2nd best prospect since James. I would put Kevin Durant in front of him.

18. Jmy
    10:11 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Matt, if wiggins doesn’t go to UK which school could he go to that would hurt us the worst in terms our chances to win the NCAA title again?

19. Josh
    10:12 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

If Andrew stays true to what he said he was looking for in a school, then clearly UK is the choice. We just have to take the kid at his word til he proves otherwise. As always IN CAL WE TRUST! Reel in the big fish coach!

20. Josh
    10:14 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

#18 only choice that could hurt us would be UNC. Make them Final Four contenders.

21. Boogie
    10:18 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Matt, you simply don’t understand the difference in prospect and player. You are one of those people that think Andrew Wiggins could average 20 PPG next season in the NBA. You have crowned this kid like he’s done something. Kid hasn’t proved ANYTHING yet.

22. B-man
    10:18 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins will go to a school that will allow him to maximize his resources, unlock his potential, build his client relationships…uhh…err. Sorry, I’m getting my Business Solutions commercials mixed up with my recruiting predictions again. Like Mr. Jones, I got nuthin. Go Cats!

23. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    10:18 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I like that Wiggins coach said he wants him to go to UK. He seems to have the trust of the Wiggins family, so his opinion should carry some weight with them.

24. gog8ors
    10:20 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

it’s how i get my jollies!

25. Matt Jones
    10:22 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

#21 thank you Boogie. Appreciate your opinion, but since I have had 5 NBA scouts, a number of recruiting analysts and a couple of coaches that I know you respect a lot say the same thing…I will take that view over your condescending “you dont understand the difference in prospect and player” comment.

Oh and it is “hasn’t proven”

26. Hazard Kidd-Katt
    10:22 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

UNC’s meeting with the Southern Association for Colleges and Schools (SACS) in June is a big deal. The UNC Academic/Athletic Scandal is not over and it would be unwise for anyone not to consider this situation while making a college choice.

27. B-man
    10:27 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I simply don’t understand those who are not 100% sold on Wiggins. Hell, even in the All Star games it’s pretty clear that if he wanted to score, he would. Time after time (feel free to hum Cindy Lauper tune for a moment), he scored on Jabari “best player since Lebron” Parker quite easily.

28. Miss Nomer
    10:27 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Can we get CNN on this? Where’s John King when we need him?

29. Darth Vader
    10:32 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

You’re lack of faith is disturbing

30. B-man
    10:32 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Hey Matt, did it surprise you the other day when Goodman seemed to think there’s no way Wiggins will go to UNC? In my opinion, they would seem to be the only threat to us. I don’t believe he ever really gave a reason for his opinion.

31. what
    10:33 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

12. North Carolina will be a top ten team but how are you gonna say that UNC +Wiggins will be better than say Michigan State or Louisville. Those teams will be tough next year. Oh yeah Wiggins will be a CAT. Nice try Matt Jones but I’m smarter than that.

32. 9-asty
    10:34 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

If Wiggins really was the sort that didn’t like a ton of attention, wouldn’t he have decided by now to get all of this speculation over with?

33. Boogie
    10:35 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

HAHAHA anybody can just say oh I’ve had NBA scouts that I won’t mention that agree with what I’m saying and coaches that I know you respect but I also wont mention BS. That’s how children argue Matt. I thought you were better than that.

34. UK Grad
    10:37 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Although I am guessing UNC and I have learned not to doubt Cal. Hoping his come and dominate the competition pitch strikes a chord with a kid who has said he loves dominating the competition.

35. sterve
    10:40 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

you’re*

36. UKGrad04
    10:44 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I also think he’s going to wind up at UNC. It kills me because I desperately want him; anyone who doesn’t think he’s going to be a star next year is kidding themselves. I haven’t given up hope, but my usual “source,” who I know Matt knows, and who would absolutely know, absolutely doesn’t–unless he’s blowing smoke.

37. Tosis
    10:47 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

As harsh as you are toward your Twitter haters on the subject…you’re > your

38. UKGrad04
    10:48 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

34. You saw the title. No one forced you to read, and no one forced you to comment.

39. UK Grad
    10:48 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

At this point I wouldn’t be totally shocked to see Wiggins go to a school outside of these four that keep getting mentioned.

40. Here Forever
    10:55 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

33. I don’t think Matt Jones needs anyone standing up for him as he already did clearly with you, that said you are an idiot sir. So simple way about it, your mind moves slower than others.

41. STEVE!
    10:56 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Several months ago the consensus seemed to be that only UK and FSU were being considered, then Wiggins asked other schools to recruit him. That, and the fact that he could have chosen UK long ago, makes me think he is looking at an alternative choice, and I’m afraid that choice will be UNC.

42. Wiggins22
    11:00 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I told everyone i was going to make a low key announcement so I decided to come to a comment section about me. UK it is. Be on campus early June.

43. crazy_as_a_loon
    11:08 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

i didnt notice her face..i was to busy lookin at dat azzz!!!

44. 9inline
    11:13 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Personally, I think wiggens has simply been stuck in the middle of all of this. His father understood the value of dragging out the marketing angle. He probably knows where he wants to be. And the family understands that fsu is a dump for basketball and North Carolina would create an awkward 2nd year dilemma with Roy…at uk he can play for a year with no consequences. The decision is an easy one. He will choose blue.

45. Bleed Blue
    11:14 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

@Boogie you have no idea what you are talking about. I love Wall, but Wiggins is better. Wiggins has the ability to create his own shot at will with an array of jukes, shakes, hesitation moves and amazing body control, even if his ball-handling skills in the half-court still haven’t quite caught up. He’s dynamite in transition and very capable of finishing effectively in the half-court as well since he can simply rise up over the top of the defense and wait until traffic has subsided before elegantly laying the ball in.

His perimeter shooting is getting more and more consistent as time goes on, as his mechanics have improved and most importantly his release point is getting higher and quicker. His pull-up jumper is becoming a more dangerous weapon as well, aided greatly by the fact that he can simply rise up on a dime and elevate over defenders before throwing the ball in the basket. The touch he shows on his jump-shot leaves a lot of room for optimism regarding how he’ll develop in this area down the road.

Not a selfish player by any means, Wiggins looked more than happy creating for others over the course of the week, seemingly taking pleasure in taking the attention off him for once.

Defensively, Wiggins has all the tools to be a menace at his position, with his long arms, excellent size and terrific athleticism, but didn’t seem to put all that great of an effort in at most of the events we’ve seen him at over the past year. He rarely gets into a stance and seems pretty non-chalant in his overall approach, but that likely has more to do with the settings he’s played in and what’s being demanded of him more than anything.

With all that said I am still told he is ours, the only thing that worries is the longer this goes on, the more worried I get. It has been down to UK and UNC for about a month now. I believe he will be ours and it wouldn’t surprise me if he committed late this week like Matt said or even after the 15 it is just so hard to tell with this kid.

46. 9inline
    11:18 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Another note, if he doesn’t come, poythress can play his true position….and mark my words, he will be a changed man. We will impress, no matter what. It will be a kick @ss year my friends!

47. Really?
    11:21 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

You really know how to make a short post long.

48. Scooby
    11:51 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Ok heres what happened… UK threw matt a bone on the Randle recruitment thinking he could sit on it til it broke… Our boy matt didn’t do that. He did the opposite and pissed some people off at UK. Thus the lack of knowledge about Wiggins. So matt then says since he doesn’t know all other ppl on message boards don’t know when really matt is just mad he has to sit at the kiddy table now…

49. Mc
    1:32 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Where’s Lenny? I need the scoop.

50. Boogie
    1:42 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

@46 Ok, you didn’t need 4 paragraphs to tell me he’s a better prospect than player currently. I already know that.

51. Big Blue Brian
    1:56 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

At this point I hope he chooses any other school but uk! It’s simple kid, you either want to play for the greatest of all time or you want to go chase panties at some inferior school. Hell, go play for the TARDS at Loserville! We don’t F’ing want ya if you can’t make up your mind. Cal already had to run off one indecisive poison player, the last thing the bbn needs is another one. Watch the CATS go 40-0 from a couch in Florida & suck it!

52. Hicks
    3:35 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

It’s tough for me to click on the comment section anymore just knowing that most of our own fan base have become trolls with more misguided opinions than knowledge.

53. Just saying
    6:30 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

I heard Wiggens pretty much done deal.

54. barn
    7:32 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

26–thanks for the info. i’ve been asking about the unc situation for months and can’t find any news about it anywhere, until your post.

55. WOW
    7:36 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

#46-Great analysis of this Kid’s game.Good stuff!

56. Lenny
    7:48 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Hey guys sorry I’ve been MIA, as you’ll know me and my wife have taken the kid under our wing, recently we officially adopted Andrew and he is now our son…. My wife recently asked him which school he was going to choose and he did not hesitate to say UK

57. Lcat
    9:14 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

AW is a Tar Heel. I have a friend who knows Roy-it took a bit of cash evidently and a cute co-ed to get him, but hey, thats recruiting.

58. symphonist41169
    9:50 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Bill Self and the Gayhawks have landed Hunter Mickelson from Arkansas, a 6’10” 240 lb. forward. Possibly a signal he’s given up on getting Wiggins?

59. KHuff
    10:49 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

No. 58 – how is that related whatsoever. KU has two open scholarships as it stands still and Mickelson will not even be eligible to play next season and doesn’t play the same position as Wiggins. Mickelson = PF / C vs. Wiggins = SF.

60. Big L
    12:35 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Some of u are very insecure. I know u want Wiggins to come to ur school but recognize that it is HIS decision. I wish more athletes would do what he is doing in taking his time to decide. The schools do not care about these kids beyond how good they can their team. Too many kids succumb to the pressure the schools put on them to decide early and make bad choices in terms of the school they attend. MAKE THEM WAIT WIGGINS!

61. Ukbball4eva
    12:40 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

@45 with recruiting you seem 2 be rite on! What is your source telling you about the delay? Is this kid jus a drama queen??? He has 2 know by now! This is getting 2 the point 2 were if he does pick UK will the other recruits like/respect him! Cuze what stopped twins, and randle from stringing every1 along like this? Just think the reports of him not liking attention and being shy are BS! You have 2 like attention 2 b doing this.

62. Big L
    12:58 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

If he were a drama queen or he was stringing everyone along, he would be constantly talking to everyone about his thoughts. We do not know anything because he does not do that. Why should he talk if he hasn’t decided. If u knew him u would realize how he shies away from the attention.

63. Big L
    1:03 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Personally I don’t think he should choose UK. Where is the challenge in joining such a stacked team. What did people say about LaBron when he went to Miami. They said he was just joining a super team. I want to see Wiggins challenge UK.

64. irememberwahwah
    9:35 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

seems to me N.C. has been underachieving for most of Roy’s tenure, and that has happened with first rate, multi-year players. I still think the two logical choices for A.W. are FSU and UK. And, I suspect Andrew will
    note the several advantages Kentucky offers Pro-bound one year players. It’s logically UK prevailing among the four…but I have a nagging feeling Rick Pitino has made a late pitch for the Cardinals and our ex might have the bang to get it done.