Andrew Wiggins says thank you

Screen Shot 2013-05-26 at 1.50.17 PM

Last night, Andrew Wiggins graduated from the powerhouse Huntington Prep academy. As we all know, his travels will take him to Kansas University, where Bill Self (and no summer classes) await this phenomenal Canadian. Somehow the nation’s best player played his recruitment tighter than any in recent memory. It was a wild ride, and he wants everyone to know that he appreciates it all. Wiggins wrote a thank you letter, published in the Huntington Herald-Dispatch. His letter is directed towards the Huntington community and his school.

Despite him not being a Wildcat, it’s hard to not like this kid. Check it out:

To the people and community of Huntington:

I just wanted to thank Huntington for your support for me and my Huntington Prep teammates and coaches these past two years. Without the community, none of what has been accomplished would have been attainable. I hope that when you hear or read my name, you are proud to say I played my high school days here in Huntington. Because I am proud to say I played here.

I like to represent my hometown of Thornhill, Ontario, and my country of Canada in a positive light and I will do the same for Huntington and for my team and coaches of Huntington Prep. It has been such a positive experience and I would advise any player to come to Huntington Prep.

One of the best things about my experience here is St. Joseph Central Catholic H.S. where we all attend. There are a lot of good people in that building from the principal to the teachers to the janitor; I will never forget all the positive influences they have been in my development as a young man. My peers at St. Joe have also been supportive of me and have always treated me as one of their own. I am not different, just a kid, and at St. Joe I could be. Thank you.

I also want to let the area know that Huntington Prep has brought so much here. I will be gone, but (head coach) Rob Fulford and his staff will always bring in great players and great individual community members. They will always bring national attention that Huntington wouldn’t have if Huntington Prep didn’t exist. In these days and times positive attention to an area isn’t guaranteed so when you have it, embrace it. Support Huntington Prep because they bring such a positive outlook on Huntington, WV.

I would like to personally thank Coach Rob, Coach Arkell Bruce, Coach Dave Meddings, Coach Ryan Arrowood and Coach Baker Neal for everything. Words cannot explain how grateful I am to, in my opinion, the best coaching staff in America. They bring players like me and my teammates to this area to give this area something special. They are great coaches and are great community members who teach us to be great players and great community members as well. I appreciate them for bringing me to the area and to Huntington Prep. It’s been a great ride. Our strength and conditioning coach, Chris Lane, is one of the best in the nation. I want him to know how much I appreciate his program.

I also want to thank all the host families and board members of Huntington Prep. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met and they have truly shown me a ton of love and support. I have been very fortunate to get to know them all. My host family (Scott, Lesley, Luke and Clayton Thomas) has been my second family over the past two years and I will love them forever. Thank you for opening up your doors so I could be part of your home. I also would like to thank all the support from Dain and Norrie Price as well as Mrs. Alicia Anderson. They work so hard for my teammates and I. Also Stephanie Arrowood and Candace Meddings for all the work they do unpaid for us. Thank you all.

I have made some lifelong friends from here such as the Johnson family. Scott, Holli, Mychelle, Mariah, Maki and my best friend Mychal will always have a place in my heart.

I am from Canada and I am going to Kansas to play college basketball. I will hopefully be drafted to a city that I enjoy. But I will always have a place for Huntington in my heart and memories. I will not forget all the sacrifices they made for me and my teammates. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Sincerely,

Andrew Wiggins

Huntington Prep

Article written by Chris Thomas

64 Comments for Andrew Wiggins says thank you

1. Soooo
    4:12 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

And why do we care again?

2. UK
    4:14 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

I really don’t care about this kid at all. I’m very excited for OUR players next year including the one who no one is talking about: JAMES YOUNG. No ill will towards the kid in the article but he’s not one of ours. James Young is. The Harrisons are. Julius Randle is. Let’s write about our own.

3. KYStout
    4:16 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Wow seriously, who gives a flying hell? I stopped caring about this kid the day he signed with Kansas.

4. Really?
    4:17 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Why are we giving press for Kansas commits??? Seriously? Who cares if he is a nice guy…he is now blacked ball from Kentucky. We should be treating him as if he doesn’t exist, not giving him more press. Delete this garbage!

5. Money
    4:19 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

I agree with #1 and #2. He is a great shooter but as soon as he picked Kansas he shouldnt be on the website again. He is from Canada, High school in WV, and College in Kansas. Nothing there says Kentucky.

6. I shoot 4s
    4:21 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

I agree. Lets stop with the wiggins posts

7. TDog
    4:24 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Could care less. We put up with this kid for months to find out he’s going elsewhere and we don’t need anymore on him. He ain’t ours so no one cares.

8. Paducah
    4:26 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

This fine young man is now a player for Kansas who has spurned Kentucky. Our only interest with him should be how to defeat him and his team.

9. cats fan
    4:29 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Tard fans think the Harrison Twins are overrated! http://www.cardchronicle.com/2013/5/25/4366286/harrison-twins-over-rated

10. grumpycat
    4:30 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Nothing against Wiggins but please no more “Wiggins news.”

11. SickOfIt
    4:33 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Why do we give a cr*p??!! I thought UK and BBN was finished with anything Wiggins and you dedicate this much space on a UK website with this junk! PLEASE!! Let’s move on. Remove this cr*p!!! BBN doesn’t care anything about his KS guy anymore! MOVE ON!! GO CATS!!!

12. Jake
    4:34 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

This is no longer Kentucky news, come on guys

13. I've Seen Ashley Naked
    4:35 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins can kiss my a$$…..I’ve never been so sick of a person in my damned life……he turned his recruitment into a mini-series and jerked us around for over a year…….I hope he never scores a single point the rest of his career…….

14. I've Seen Ashley Naked
    4:35 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

#5…..well put

15. He's a Buster
    4:41 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

What a Buster.

16. Jeff
    4:42 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Who cares

17. Need some cash fast
    4:49 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Enough Andre Wiggins please

Let KSR (Kansas Sports Radio) post feel good Wiggins stories from now on

We have a lot of recruits coming in and I am sure you can find something similar about them on any given day

18. Phil dees nuts
    4:49 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

I’m confused why I should care. I’m sure he’s a great kid, but I struggle to understand why a Kentucky Sports Website is STILL following him. While your at it, what did Xavier Henry have to say. Stupid entry…..

19. payton51
    4:51 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

twins-stone cold killers.

20. back to back
    4:53 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

2013 national champs! Suck it queers. Better go ahead and brace your hick selves tht we are going back to back. Would be a 3 peat if not for cal and uncle wes handing out 200k like it was candy.

21. RockChokeJayhawk
    4:53 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Hard not to like him huh? Cal worked his butt off on this kid since he was an 8th grader…far longer than anyone else and how does he reward him…by picking a school who’s coach starting recruiting him last fall. It’s not hard for me NOT to like him.

22. Cat In The ATL
    4:59 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

I’ve never been more embarrassed to be a Kentucky alum and fan than when I read the fan responses on this site.

23. reality
    5:08 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

21) Cal usually gets players that he recruited less time than any other coach. He watched teague play twice.

24. ktmiln2
    5:08 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Noally I don’t complain about anything you guys post, including The Bachelor stuff. But seriously, who cares? RG3 is writing hand written notes to fans who bought gifts off of his wedding registry. Can we get a post about that too?

25. Doc
    5:10 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Wish him well but he used the bbn to garner attention. I think they decided for Kansas around the time of final four when his brother said uk may not be best fit and going to shock the world with his choice.(making us think he would go to Wichita state). He decided what is best for him with no competition to start and no real chance to win the championship.

26. bigboyblue
    5:11 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Lets get two things straight from here on out. First and foremost, Andrew Wiggins is an after thought. Who really cares what he does now? He moved on and so should we. We will see what he is made of now. Everyone’s gunning and you’ve got the bullseye on your back. Both UK and Nike shouldn’t ever speak his name.
    Secondly, to all the haters and UL fans stop with the Cal pays players. If this was the case don’t you think we would not have sucked last year or always get the recruits we want.

27. Deepblue
    5:15 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

22) then get the f*ck out.

28. Mike Phillips
    5:18 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

I want to like him but I just cant. I heard a rumor a few weeks ago that he actually committed to UK then backed out of it. I’m like everybody else, I’ve had enough Andrew Wiggins to last me 5 years. I dont think he’s gonna be the big star like some are predicting either.

29. CardFansBlow
    5:19 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Card fans are like the really fat chick who finally gets a date and then all of the sudden starts giving weight loss tips to swimsuit models or the kid that has never had a base hit in his life and manages to beat out a grounder and now is telling the kid batting .456 how to hold the bat. They want to be UK so bad and deep down know they never will so they have no other choice. They are victims of their environment 🙂

30. champs
    5:22 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

29) lick the old beanbag fag. Cards are the champs. Your coach is a fat, greasy pig.

31. Really?
    5:25 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

And 27) is there to keep us looking classy. Thanks man.
    It’s nice to see this side of Wiggins. BBN should wish him well at Kansas and hope to run over his team on our way to #9.

32. Hey Little Parvenu
    5:28 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Hey #30. Do NOT call yourself Champ. Ever. You have never been a champion of anything. Champs don’t troll on a board with invective like yours. Crawl away to your hole and remain there forever. Get lost.

33. Catfan14
    5:32 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Why is KSR so obsessed? I visit here every day, however, if I see one more post about this kid who ISN’T part of BBN, I won’t allow myself to visit again no matter how much I like this website

34. #32
    5:33 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

32 likes to be double teamed by matt and drew.

35. Yesterday's News
    5:38 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

To Chris and all the other writers on KSR: Is AW a good kid? Yes. Is he a highly talented basketball player? Yes. Did his recruitment whip KSR and BBN into a frenzy? Yes. Did he sign on to be a Wildcat? No.

Can you now get on with the business of writing about the good kids who ARE bringing their basketball talents to Lexington? I sure hope so.

36. BigBluSoTru
    5:42 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Get a life KSR this kid , didn’t want to play for us. Sometimes being a BBN fan is sickening, everybody doesn’t have to play at Uk.

37. CardFansBlow
    5:43 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

#30 thanks for proving my point, dumbass.

38. bfawns
    5:56 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

That was a very Classy letter! Kansas is lucky to have this young man. Too bad he will miss out on Kentuckys’ great year.

39. Dutch
    5:57 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins could give a shit less about the people in Huntington or anyone else but himself! He only cares about himself which is ok….I’m tired reading these post about him too! Let’s talk about the great talent that Cal has put together! These kids want to be a team! A Wiggins wants to be the hotdog, but you need mustard to make it more appetizing!

40. Cat In The ATL
    6:03 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Keep it classy, Deepblue. Oh, wait…

41. Bob
    6:07 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Don’t let the door hit ya where the dog shoulda bit ya.

42. Say What?
    6:12 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

#34. How old are you anyway? I’m taking the computer away from you until you learn your abc’s…

43. Joe
    6:13 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins was in Huntington for one year. Whatever. Get your sorry butt out to Kansas. I hope they get probation.

Now, how about some UK news? We could care less about Kansas.

44. Matt Jones
    6:18 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

We are giving away a limited edition UK Vespa

It is parked somewhere in Lexington or in Louisville

We will be posting clues about its location today and tomorrow

Clue #1: the house number is the jersey number of Chuck Verderber’s backup

45. Wiggins
    6:54 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Hey, don’t hate on me. I just want me some more attention!

46. Wilbur
    7:03 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

And why should I care what Wiggins thinks? Crickets

47. Guest
    7:28 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

University of Kansas

48. Aaron
    7:44 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

If and when we face Wiggins in the tournament, go ahead and talk about him. But why idolize him now? When I saw him play in Scott County, it wasn’t obvious that he was LeBron 2.0. How is this letter noteworthy?

49. Rei
    8:40 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

boo attention seeker

50. SeaCat
    8:42 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

We Cats will miss The Great Wiggins…
    I think his father pulled the trigger, and
    it wasn’t pointed at us.
    I and we, should wish this 18 yo kid the best of luck.
    For the rest of his life!

51. Catlogic15
    8:48 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

No way in hell Wiggins wrote that letter himself.

52. Bill says
    8:53 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

They work so hard for my teammates and I. I know this is a little silly but the statement should be, They work so hard for my teammates and me. Go ahead and correct my statement if you please.

53. MHFaulkner
    9:54 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Well said from an 18 year old with the eyes of the world on him.

We missed on him. Oh well. Good luck to Wiggins. He’s a freak athlete and will be a pleasure to watch.

We can’t have them all.

Just 7 of the top 15.

54. CatFan
    10:20 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

It’s University of Kansas not Kansas University

55. Axe Cop
    11:19 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Um, OK, how is this relevant?

56. No its not
    11:27 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

Uh no, #54 its Kansas University, you’re wrong.

57. Ed
    11:37 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

This is the Internet. Really not hard to check.
    It’s university of Kansas. This site is so terrible.
    If its an inside joke, it’s a terrible raftards joke.
    Eitherway, it’s fail.

58. SOO tired of KUWiggins!
    11:50 pm May 26, 2013 Permalink

This site is free and I love it so I am not bashing anything about it. Just saying…. that I must agree with most, i am tired of hearing about Wiggins. He has committed to another school and I no longer care what he has to say. Like Shabazz he made his choice and that is fine. We should no longer give him the “Kentucky effect” and treatment that he did not want. I would much rather read about an article on James Young having dry skin or an ingrown toenail or the Harrison twins and what they ate for breakfast. Thanks

59. Winston
    1:42 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

Who?

60. blue happy pappy
    9:37 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

We got the best kid and player in the country “Julius Randle” Let’s hear more about him!!

61. PostDelete
    12:45 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Please delete this blog post. Absolutely pointless and a waste of my time today.

62. Mc
    1:08 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

I may be wrong, but I’m starting to think that posts like #9 are just from trolls trying to get clicks to an ignorant blog? Might even be the writer of the blog posting on here since he knows this site gets hits and he can get us fired up. Sad.

63. UK Fan
    3:36 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

As a UK fan, I have never been to any U of L site…nor have I ever wanted to go to any U of L site…are there any? I assume yes? I couldn’t even tell ya and I really do not care. Why any U of L fan would come to a UK site is beyond me. That only shows that they can’t get us outta their mind even after finally winning a Title…how does one explain that? Don’t they realize that by coming here and spouting off as they do, that they are only reinforcing their secondary status? Guess not! lol

64. Dogwaller
    6:18 pm May 28, 2013 Permalink

Coach Cal should start making regular trips to Huntington, WV, only 2 hours from Lexington. Huntington Prep could be a power for years in the future as they are looking at possibly adding 5 top 25 recruits next year.