Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker: Best in Class?

If you’ve never seen Christopher Guest’s Best in Show, I would recommend you find some time this week to treat yourself to one of the funniest, most awkward movies of the 2000s.  For all the hilarity, shenanigans, and Fred Willard, though, the movie teaches us a solid truth: no matter the arena, there has to be a top dog.

Now that Andrew Wiggins has officially reclassified to 2013, causing D-1 coaches and NBA Scouts to salivate over the potential, the inner fanboys (or girls) in all of us  want to know definitively just who the best player in the class really is.  Wiggins has unanimously taken over the top spot according to recruiting services, but the Parker camp (also known as Krzyzewskiville, probably) want to know: Why?

SNYtv recently took a look at that exact question.  Unfortunately, the two players have yet to go head-to-head, although not for lack of trying.  Wiggins’ CIA Bounce team was slated to play Parker’s Mac Irvin Fire this summer, but Jabari was unable to play due to injury.  Post-summer circuit, Wiggins’ high school coach said that he has tried to schedule a meeting, but Illinois, big babies that they are, won’t allow it.

While Parker and Co. are wondering, “What’s going on here?,” Wiggins is focused on the future.  Of the ranking dispute, the possible Wildcat said:

There’s been a lot of talk about who’s the best in the country and everything, so [an exhibition] would’ve gave a little idea who came out on top in that game.

Everyone has different opinions. If they think I’m better, then that’s their opinion. I think I’m the best.  I’ll put myself before anyone.

I just try to kill whoever is guarding me. I don’t practice to play against people in high school like Julius Randle and Jabari Parker. I practice to play against guys in the NBA because I want to be better than them. I practice to beat the best player in the world because I want to be the best player in the world.

If we didn’t covet Wiggins before, that attitude would make us want him now.  While we may not see him challenge Parker in high school, there may be a matchup at the next level.  Should Wiggins pick Kentucky (which we recommend), and Parker settle on Duke (and “settle” is really the best word for it), there’s a lot of reason to think that the two teams could meet in the NCAA tournament, possibly even a championship game.

At least, if they’re as good as pundits say they are, which by all accounts seems to be entirely correct.  In the same vein as Ali v. Frazier, Bush v. Gore, and King Kong v. Godzilla, high school basketball now has Wiggins v. Parker.  Pretty soon, they’ll move to the college stage, and have a bigger audience to whom they can prove their ability.

If Wiggins really wants a primetime matchup, his best bet is deep into March of 2014.  Why not choose the team, and coach, who’s been on the biggest roll the last couple years?  That’s your best shot to answer this question once and for all, Mr. Wiggins.

Article written by Corey Nichols

25 Comments for Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker: Best in Class?

1. AfghanCat
    9:04 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

Well this doesn’t completely suck, Corey.

2. reality
    9:07 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

Has there been a press conference scheduled? Or is Mitch going to value a close friendship over common sense, and make himself look like the moron we all know he is. Time to get out from under the covers Mitch. You owe it to us season ticket holders and fans to make a decision today. You are looking more and more inept everyday. I dont want to hear about a decision at the end of the season there is nothing left to evaluate. ITS DONE!!!!

3. I'm Batman
    9:08 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

This topic is completely new. I have never heard this before. Thank you for writing an original post. Best post ever!

4. JoeMoney333
    9:17 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

#2 the b*tch about Joker thread is a post down,

5. Me
    9:17 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

If Wiggins comes here and Parker goes to MSU we will open 2013 with that matchup in the Champions Classic correct?

6. 10011010101010
    9:18 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

Is Parker even No2?

Inst Randle?

7. dusty380
    9:20 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

#5….that would be the best champions classic match-up of the whole 3 years….

8. dusty380
    9:24 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

Rivals has Randle #1; Parker #2
    ESPN has Parker #1; Randle #3

both are before Wiggins pushes everyone down a spot…..

9. Lcat
    9:35 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

We aint getting Wiggins-he is going elsewhere. You would have to change the rules of basketball and allow 2 basketballs in play to accomodate him. Why would he come to UK now and compete for starting time? He could go to Fl State or UNC(God forbid) and be THE PLAYER( or the only one that matters). Once we signed James Young, we were out of the running. I was hoping he would not re-classify. Our best chance is Randle.Parker is going to MSU.

10. I'm Batman
    9:41 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

9 – you don’t know anything. Wigins will be a Cat. Quit talking about the situation since you don’t know anything about it. Don’t listen to Matt either. He knows nothing and repeats what he sees on twitter in order to get more hits/listeners.

11. G-Unit
    9:46 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

9 – Wiggins Knows if he comes to UK HE IS THE STARTER. IF he goes to UNC or FSU yes he will be the man- but he will be the man being double teamed every night. He comes to UK, You cant double him with the TWins on the floor. I think this kid knows it is UK but is going to pull a john wall and milk the attention for all its worth.

12. OneAndDone
    9:49 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

10) you’re probably really credible…..we’ll just all believe you…

13. SeoulCat
    9:52 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

-9, competing for starting time? Wiggins will be “THE PLAYER” no matter where he goes.

Corey, you forgot to add “Matt Jones v. Marc Maggard” to your list of epic battles…KSR seems to have won the war against True Blue, but just you wait. Unbeknownst to, well, virtually everyone, the Frosted One is just applying his own rope-a-dope blog tactics from within the confines of a Tijuana comedy club. Prepare yourself, KSR. The Phrosted Phoenix will rise again!

14. BigBlue
    9:53 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

Did I miss some trash talking with Wiggins vs Randle and Parker? Why would any player in high school start calling out other players by name? Hopefully Wiggins had a good reason to take a shot at Randle and Parker because thats not a good attitude to call out other players by name.

15. I'm Batman
    9:53 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

12 – I do my research and read more than whatever Matt and his group put out. I don’t just believe whatever the talking heads say. I don’t care if you believe me. Just letting that guy know he is wrong and people need to quit looking scared. It’s too bad we didn’t get Knight, Teague, MKG, Noel, the Harrisons, Wall, Lamb….oh wait, nevermind. There is always misdirect out there to build hype

16. mike
    10:07 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

Sounds like he’s UK bound if he wants to play against NBA players day in and day out.

17. Ibescootch
    10:41 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

#16 is on the right track. Wiggins has publicly stated that he wants to play against the best, and compete. He isn’t going to back down from competition, and wants to both prove himself and become the absolute best. Yeah, if you go to UNC, Fl. State, etc., you randomly get to play against some of the best teams/players in the country at the college level. So what is that, maybe 5-8 times in a year you play the best? Or, go to Kentucky and play against the top players in the country in practice every day, and for the coach who clearly knows how to to develop and prepare players for the NBA? I can see Randle maybe gong elsewhere, but it would make absolutely no sense for Wiggins to go somewhere else.

18. Mack
    11:29 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

What about the PF from California that will visit next week, isn’t he a top 6 or 7 player? Sign him and not worry about the ones that do not really want to be CATS, only want attention the CAT’s recruiting brings to them. Didn’t take the Harris guys and Young long to decide and they are all top 5 players.

19. NBA league pass
    11:45 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

Those comments by Wiggins make me even more sure he wants to come here. They sound like they came right out of Cal’s mouth (ie, want to play the best, beat the best, etc, etc). He’ll be a Cat I believe.

20. GapToothDanny
    11:51 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

I tried to follow, but after so many “if this or that happened” scenarios, I blacked out.

21. Stan
    11:56 am October 29, 2012 Permalink

Best In Show, A Mighty Wind, Waiting for Guffman, For Your Consideration, Spinal Tap – Christopher Guest films never disappoint. Improvised and hilarious.

Here’s another person who believes Wiggins will wear Blue.

22. SeaCat
    12:05 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

18) I think you are referring to Aaron Gordon.
    Would love to have him, but most think he
    will stay on the west coast.

23. BUCats
    12:45 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

I believe that man has 6 fingers on his right hand…

24. I Say
    12:46 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

Or, He could go to Florida State and play Duke twice a year to prove that he is better…Just saying

25. Bart Edwards
    3:28 pm October 29, 2012 Permalink

That kind of arrogance at 16 years of age is not admirable. I read that quotation a few days ago in the context of the longer article in which it apeared, and had exactly the opposite reaction to the one Corey described. Plus the article made clear that Wiggins is lazy on the court, lazy in practice, and recently even had to get his phone taken away because he was refusing to get out of bed on time in the mornings.
    I fear this kid is a spoiled, arrogant prick, and hearing him boast that he is better than guys he has never even played does NOT make me want him at UK.