Andrew Wiggins completes official visits

wiggins

Kentucky, Kansas, and North Carolina were the destinations for heralded recruit Andrew Wiggins. He completed his tour of college basketball’s blue bloods over the last few weeks, and it is down to these three, plus Florida State with the obvious family connections giving the Seminoles a fighter’s chance among the heavyweights.

Wiggins isn’t a public speaker and he is keeping his cards close to his chest. There is little information that has come straight from the horses mouth regarding his visits, but Wiggins’ coach at Huntington Prep, Rob Fulford, voiced his opinions on the visits with the vibes he has picked up off the 18-year-old phenom.

First up was his visit to Rupp Arena where he saw the Cats  battle  demolish Mississippi State in February:

He enjoyed the atmosphere at Rupp. He saw the North Carolina game there last year so he’s seen Rupp at its best in that scenario, so he wasn’t overly concerned about who they were playing and the crowd … He was just trying to get a feel for the coaches outside of a game and in the gym scenario. He got a chance to watch a game and to watch practice so it was important to see John Calipari interact with his guys.

After his visit to Lexington, Wiggins tripped out to Lawrence, Kansas to see the Jayhawks play Texas Tech on senior day:

It was his first trip there and Phog is one of those venues that is a bucket list venue and everybody knows that. He really enjoyed the atmosphere as far as the interaction he had with the fans and the players … He spoke about being able to spend a little more personal time with the players.

He rounded out the official visits in Chapel Hill for North Carolina a Duke – a game which the Tar Heels came up on the losing end. But Wiggins’ coach says that doesn’t matter:

He understands that teams don’t win every game and it’s not ideal to have recruits on campus for a game in that fashion, but he gets that and he had a really good time. He knows Kennedy Meeks pretty well and talks to him some … Obviously it’s the Duke game, so the atmosphere is crazy. Carolina made a few runs and but Duke kind of punched them in the mouth.

With his visits now complete and the McDonald’s All-American game and the Jordan Brand Classic coming up, you have to wonder if Wiggins will be ready to pick his school. As for where he thinks Wiggins will go, Fulford has no idea. But he did share some advice for how coaches should recruit Wiggins… and that is endlessly.

I always told people in the recruiting process that I saw him play 24-straight AAU games. He knew me and I was around all the time and he developed a personal relationship with me. So when the decision had to be made, he knew where he wanted to come and his parents just had to sign off.

Keep hunting, Cal.

[Source: Sports Illustrated]

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

33 Comments for Andrew Wiggins completes official visits

1. Ukbball4eva
    3:05 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

I think I am a Lil more nervous about randle than wiggins. I think only thing left was cal 2 Mk a good impression on his parents which I’m sure he did. Randle seemed 2 really enjoy his KU visit. Hope I’m wrong about randle, would love 2 have him I love how hard the kid plays.

2. Greg
    3:09 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

As long as we get one of the two ill be very happy, both would be just nuts.

3. Poco Chang
    3:23 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

All of those ‘quotes’ sound like they were written by a publicist.

4. beanie weanies for breakfast
    3:34 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

I am already happy with next years class. Anyone else will just be icing on the cake. If we can’t win it all with whose comming in next year and the retuning players from this year it wasn’t meant to be anyways!

5. J in Orlando
    3:46 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

4 Wiggins isnt the icing…he is the difference between UK being one of the top contenders and UK being THE contender

6. Meow meow
    3:49 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

5… Wrong, he and/or randle are the difference between a national championship or a 40-0 season and a national championship.

7. Han
    3:52 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

For anyone who cares (I know, it’s a sports blog), there’s a new Pope. Pope Francis I, formerly Bergoglio of Argentina. First from the Americas/first Latin American pope, first Jesuit. Has a chemistry degree. Was runner up last time but was thought to be too old to be selected this time at 76.

Also, Wiggins, please pick UK!

8. Suhcomono
    3:55 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Already have a great class, would be great to get Wiggins and/or Randle.

Viva il Pape!

9. UK Freshmen
    3:56 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

For anyone who cares, my nephew got a new puppy. Bowser, formely known as Pup #2 from Holler Creek. He’s a mut with no pedigree. His parents thought he was too old to bring home but he will be great. Thanks for listening.

10. Wildcat Blood
    3:56 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Does this Pope wear a funny hat?

11. HA
    4:03 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

@9 if this is the real UK Freshmen then you know you are hated around here… but that did make me laugh.

12. RealCatsFan
    4:05 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

7 – footage of the ceremony

13. Han
    4:05 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

9) Make fun if you want, but it’s still major world news when there’s a new pope. Doesn’t matter if you’re religious or not.

14. UK Freshmen
    4:06 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Oh, I’m real alright. I still think Cal has done a lousy coaching job with this team.

15. BlueRedNeck
    4:06 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

7 – Francis, as in “Lighten up, Francis”?

16. BlueRedNeck
    4:08 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

UK Freshmen, if you were my dog I would have you neutered.

17. bosshog
    4:09 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Geez, will just be glad when this is over and these guys have made their “choices”….I’m so tired of hearing about both of them when we already have an amazing class of guys who clearly wanted to play for UK and did not take so much time. Whatever team these guys end up fronting, we will beat them, order will be restored.

18. UK Freshmen
    4:14 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

BlueRedNeck, if you were my owner, I wouldn’t let you near my nether regions.

19. Han
    4:15 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

17) Yeah, screw all these selfish pricks who take a long time deciding where they’ll be going to college and developing their professional skills toward their multi-million dollar career. They should commit to the school I root for immediately like some other guys did because the school I root for the and guys who already picked it have their priorities straight.

We didn’t need any of those players who didn’t commit their junior year, anyway. The only players we really wanted were MKG and Karl Towns because they knew before their were seniors. The rest of them are scrubs.

If you don’t care about them, ignore them. The rest of us still want to see them suit up in Blue and White. They’re exciting players and the last pieces of what could be our greatest team ever.

20. MercerNary
    4:16 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

For anyone who cares (I know it’s a sports blog) the best of Florida mugshots is here. http://worldwideinterweb.com/item/3947-florida-funny-wtf-mugshots-picture-gallery.html

21. BlueRedNeck
    4:18 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

18, trust me, NO ONE wants to go anywhere near your “nether regions”.

22. cparkrooke15
    4:18 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

I agree with #17 these guys have procrastinated long enough I mean the kids that really wanted to play for Kentucky some time ago these guys are just enjoying all the attention on them. They know truly were to go to contend for a national title next year. If they don’t come here that tells me they just wanna be a star player on a mediocre team being Kansas and a Lousy team meaning Florida State. Good luck with that if they so choose to go that route rather than come here to compete for a national title and possibly a undefeated season.

23. BlueRedNeck
    4:19 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

20, let me guess – Teddy Dupay is on the first page, right?

24. MercerNary
    4:21 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

23, No but the third one down looks like Blake Griffin on meth.

25. MemphisCat
    4:22 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Good to see Wiggins go to Huntington Prep for a year without the parents, what is another year at UK to the parents, after he signs a multi-year contract with a shoe company and his #1 NBA contract his parents can travel with him 24/7. I really don’t think going to Florida St. is that big a deal for a 1 yr player, his parents don’t owe the school anything and him only going 1 year won’t save that program. I think the last comment tells me that Cal is in good shape to improve that kid’s NBA game.

26. STEVE!
    4:30 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

22 – Kansas is a mediocre team? Seems like they played in the Championship game last year, won it a few years ago (beating Cal), are second to us in all-time victories, and are ranked #7 this year with 10 Sophs and Freshmen. Personally, I think the longer it takes for these guys to choose, the more it favors us because we are probably their top choice, but they are waiting to see who leaves this year’s team for the NBA. They probably know all they need to know about our competition. If they wanted to go elsewhere, they would have already announced that.

27. lonnieb
    4:33 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

@7 HAN

Have you seen him interact with any children yet. Thats the true questions

28. lonnieb
    4:36 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

@26

Kansas will be an average team next year after they lose the whole squad
    Withey=gone
    johnson=gone
    Mclemore #1 pick gone
    Releford= Gone
    YOung =GOne
    They will get a little taste of what it feels like to be UK. If Randle wants title he’s not gonna go to KU

29. Tom Blevins
    4:49 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

7. I watched as the new Pope gave his first address. I am not a Roman Catholic, but prayed for him as he requested we all do, before he gave his blessing. When he was praying for his audience to be forgiven their sins, and attin eternal life (I probably don’t have his exact words, but believe I captured the gist of them) I got the feeling that he was not only playing for his Catholic listeners, but for all of us. I don’t kow much about him, but my first impresson of him is that he is a humble and deeply spiritual man. I believe the Catholic church has made a good choce, and I congratulate all Catholics everywhere on your new Pope.

30. jpo
    5:17 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

17. and 22. How about it’s his decision and he can take as long as he wants. Too bad you aren’t UK’s coach you could tell Wiggins: “Sorry Andrew we are going to have to rescind your scholarship offer you are just taking way too long in deciding.” LOL

31. Syrin
    5:39 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

I’m getting a serious Shabazz vibe here.

32. Deacon
    6:16 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

#31, in contrast, I’m getting a serious John Wall recruitment vibe. This is all speculation, but I’m thinking Wiggins is UK bound and has already informed Cal of his decision. Cal and Wiggins play this game (Just as Cal and Wall did), where he says to Wiggins, “you’re number one in the class, so hold out and be the last guy to decide. As the other chips fall, all the attention focusses on you. Keep them all guessing to build intrigue.” This is the set up for Wiggins building a ton of buzz nationally (yes, we all know who he is, but LA and NY markets could care less presently). After the NCAA touney, with nothing to report on for a while, the National reproters look to college b-ball recruting. Wiggins, the last to announce, holds a big press conference on ESPN. It all is aimed to building hype and buzz for him going into next year as pre-season Wooden award favorite and assumed #1 pick in the NBA draft at season’s end.

Also, it lets Randle decide to go to UK without knowing whether Wiggins will be there to steal the spotlight (a la Bledsoe committing to UK when it was still “unknown” whether Wall would choose us). I’m not saying we get Randle, but I think we do get Wiggins.

33. Ashland
    8:30 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Randle will be a cat, no need to be nervous/worried.