Andrew Wiggins and the Waiting Game

High School Basketball: McDonald's All American Games

With the only Andrew Wiggins news from this week being that there is no Andrew Wiggins news, folks are getting a little bit antsy in trying to wait, and speculate, on his decision.  Do his parents want Florida State or North Carolina for him?  Does that matter?  Is Kansas catching up?  Can Kentucky find a scholarship for him?  SportingNews’ Mike DeCourcy took a look at this very long engagement, and explained why, in the end, the wait will all be worth it.  At least, for the team he picks.

DeCourcy compares Wiggins’ recruitment to Patrick Patterson’s, recalling how closely his decision in 2007 resembles the one now in 2013.  There’s no shortage of “What will he do?” questions around, and just as many “I don’t knows” given in response.  And also like Patterson, the teams involved knew that a great player was on the line.  But, according to DeCourcy, this is a whole different ballgame.  A higher level of anticipation for the highest level player.

On the day Wiggins steps on an NBA court, and that’ll happen sooner rather than later, he’ll become one of the greatest athletes ever to play in the league. We’re talking about the very stratosphere of athletic gifts, where Dominique Wilkins, Russell Westbrook, Julius Erving and, yes, that Jordan guy reside.

Pretty lofty praise for a guy that’s playing against high schoolers now, but by all accounts it’s justified.  Wiggins is a unanimous future star, and no one seems to think he’ll be a disappointment.  But Mike highlights his athleticism, size, skill in the post, and ability to score from the wing as reasons to put him ahead of Jabari Parker and Julius Randle in this ridiculously loaded class.

And it’s not just enough that Wiggins is at the top of his class; in a normal year, that’d be impressive.  This year, that’s incredible.  If the class of 2012 was somewhat underwhelming, then 2013 is doing its best to make up the lost ground.  Parker, Randle, the Harrisons, Aaron Gordon, and others are making sure of that.  Which is yet another reason that, of all the years to be willing to wait on a recruit, this is one of the best.

It’s been six years since we saw college basketball invaded by such a talented group, when Kevin Love, Derrick Rose, Mike Beasley, Blake Griffin and O.J. Mayo entered college. It’s been even longer since we saw a prospect with the package of size, skill athleticism that Wiggins will take to some fortunate campus. Eventually.

Yeah, try waiting when you’re one of the schools recruiting him.  With the spring signing period ending much later this month, and no guarantee that Wiggins will pick in that window anyway, we continue to play the waiting game.  Only it’s important, in our case, to remind ourselves that it’s totally worth it.  An extra month or two isn’t so bad.

Article written by Corey Nichols

59 Comments for Andrew Wiggins and the Waiting Game

1. AaronJ
    9:11 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

You guys really need to come up with some new material. The 5 articles per day on Wiggins is much to excessive and has become very dull.

More talk about our current recruits and 2014+ targets is much for interesting!

2. Musehobo
    9:12 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Some UK fans are gonna have an aneurysm before this is over. We have less than 2 weeks. Still think he’s a Cat.

3. Michael F. Jox
    9:13 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

This may have been asked and answered on here before, so forgive me if it has, but I don’t understand why his brother Nick didn’t go to Fla St. if the family has such a great connection to their alma mater. Anyone have a clue? I know he isn’t near the talent that Andrew is but he was good enough for Wichita St., and you’d think Fla St. would do anything they could to satisfy the Wiggins fam by taking him. I’m not sure about this either, but isn’t he still at Wichita St.? How nice of a recruiting tool would that have been for the Noles? Just doesn’t add up, but like I said, I really don’t know the whole situation. Any help?

4. Eric
    9:14 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I’m not so sure people can automatically assume he will be a star in the NBA… I understand he has the athleticism, but from all reports it shows that he has a lack of desire to play the game and to get better. I think that is something you need to be a star. Can pure athleticism make him a star? I’ve never seen him play in person, but obviously have read everything about him and seen every possible youtube clip available (several times) and understand he will be an extremely good player for any college team he picks. But to call him an NBA star before he even plays a college game is a little premature… in my opinion at least.

5. Huh?
    9:18 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

4. Where in the hell have you read any reports that say he has a lack of desire to play the game and get better? I have read alot of reports of him being shy and not wanting the spotlight but that has nothing to do with his competitive drive and desire to get better on the court.

6. OverIt
    9:18 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I hope he comes to UK, but I don’t really care at this point. Even without him, the Cats should and probably will be title favorites. If we land him, they’ll beat teams by 20 a game instead of 15 next season. *Yawn* wake me up when his recruitment is (finally) over. On a somewhat related note, does anyone find it hilarious that we hear so much about how he’s a “quiet kid who doesn’t like attention”, yet he’s milking all the attention he can from his recruitment?

7. ukfan
    9:22 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

you know, for a fella whom doesn’t want to be the center of attention and shuns away from the spot light this kid shore has caused himself to be the totally oppo, still hope he picks bbn but sheesh pick already

8. MJ4UK
    9:23 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

How would you feel if you were the most talented point guard in the country, and all anyone could tweet you about is “What’s Wiggins going to?” #BBN needs to chill with tweeting the other players about Wiggins.

9. Jeff
    9:25 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Future Felipe Lopez…….

10. Eric
    9:29 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

5… Was in an article back in October by USA Today… “Talent aside, Fulford acknowledged that Wiggins is no gym rat. Though Wiggins loves playing basketball, Fulford said he needs to fall in love with working on improving. Sometimes Wiggins gets bored with practice, and coaches nudge him, looking for the trigger. Fulford has told Wiggins two dozen times, “I don’t think at any point ever that anyone had to go tell Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant to pick it up.”- Eric Prisbell….. So thats where I got it from hah

11. I Wish
    9:33 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I wish Corey would quit posting for a few months so we could all wonder when he would return to the KSR news boards.

12. Honky Kong
    9:35 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Breaking News !!! Wiggins just took his morning dump…film at 11.

13. Jay
    9:37 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Dominique Wilkins, Julius Erving, Michael Jordan, and…Russell Westbrook? How does Westbrook, outside of being unbelievably athletic , fit into that list of Hall of Famers at all? He’s the second best player on his team. He’s gifted, but that list encompasses some of the best players to ever play in the NBA.

14. football school
    9:38 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Got any football speculations? This stuff’s getting old.

15. symphonist41169
    9:40 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

6 & 7 – Touche. This whole saga is starting to seem a lot like passive-aggressive MASSIVE egotism to me.

16. Mr Obvious
    9:41 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins is going to reclassify back to the class of 2014 so he can draw this out a little longer.

17. Justin
    9:43 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I think Andrew Wiggins will leave a legacy. Might be a good or a bad legacy. HE will be remembered either as one of the greats, someone that was really good but never became a legend, or as someone who couldn’t figure it out. I think he needs UK. He has never been pushed like he would be here just in practice alone. He will never be pushed in the limelight anywhere more than here. If he isn’t perfect or isn’t giving his all, we will definitely let him know about it. (sometimes in a bad way)

“Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them” Shakespeare

18. Dean Martin
    9:43 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Any news on Lucas or Patterson?

19. Huh?
    9:44 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

10. So one article from the beginning of the kid’s senior season counts as “all reports.” How many 16 or 17 year old kids have the discipline and work ethic of a Kobe or MJ in the prime of their careers? Can you imagine how boring it would be to literally be able to play at half effort and still be better than anyone you play against all year?

With all of the attention his recruitment has gotten I would think there would be more talk about any “lack of desire to play the game and get better” if it was still, or ever has been, a real issue. I can’t imagine it being an issue when he is challenged every day in pracice at the college level.

20. btowncatfan
    9:45 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

16. Haha. That’s a good one.

21. Crizzle
    9:46 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Not a single Andrew wiggins piece should appear on this site until he commits. Everything has already been said 5 times over.

22. UKDMD
    9:51 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I really hope he picks UK and I think he will.

But in the event he doesn’t I can’t wait to read some of the crazy comments here.

23. Limited-edition holographic flat-top
    9:55 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

@13 westbrook is an important player to his team and to the league. He’s an all-star pg. 2nd best on his team sure but you can definitely see that okc is a completely diffrent team wothout him. Other than that I have nothing. Xp

24. Donny D
    9:56 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I believe Andrew Wiggins is an unbelievable talent and would help Kentucky tremendously. With that being said he does not have the killer instinct or toughness as a Kobe Bryant. I think he will be in the NBA for a long time and be an all-star but I believe he is more Rudy Gay/Tracey McGrady than a Kobe or a Lebron which is fine but think he is way overhyped.

25. Limited-edition holographic flat-top
    9:57 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

26. B-man
    9:59 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Just for shits & gigggles, KSR should start giving us updates on the recruitment of Allerik Freeman, the only other available Rivals Top 100 player (even he initally picked UCLA, but recently decommitted due to the coaching change).

27. Matt
    9:59 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

When Poythress decided to come back I stopped worrying about Wiggins’ decision. Would I love to see him at UK? Of course. Do we need him for our team to be absolutely loaded and be the title favorite? No.

I think Poythress is going to have the kind of year we all expected him to have last year. The deep bench this year is going to allow Cal to be very flexible with his lineups and Poythress has the skill set to play inside or outside depending on the situation.

28. UKSupporter76
    10:00 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I understand the questions about why Wiggins’s parents didn’t want his brother to go to FSU (and they may well have, but we never heard about it) but what I *don’t* understand is why people keep questioning why FSU didn’t go after Nick so they could land Andrew.

Nick is what… a Senior this up coming season? So he was recruited about 4 years ago? So you honestly think any school in the country is going to go and recruit a kid, on the off chance that his 14 year old brother (no matter how great he may be when he’s 14) turns out to be a phenom, *and* decides to reclassify and come into college a year early? Seriously? You actually believe that? Really?

29. SeoulCat
    10:05 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Pick a school already. Be done with it.

30. me
    10:08 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

One answer to the Nick Wigging/FlSt. question can be seen here: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/62190/nick-wiggins

He averaged about 12 minutes, 5 ppg for Wichita State, of the Missouri Valley Conference. Obviously the Shockers had a great year, but they overachieved. FlSt. certainly isn’t a powerhouse, but they are an ACC team. Nick likely wouldn’t see the floor there.

And as others have said, Nick is considerably older. Andrew was originally a 2014 prospect so any team trying to pull the “get the older brother so we have a shot with the younger” would have had to have a crystal ball. Also, we have no idea how close the brothers are, so it might not have helped anyway.

31. caller
    10:13 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

why don’t these guys play overseas for a year and get paid instead of being a “student athlete” at some college and having to attend classes etc.? the nba has made a sham of college basketball

32. Insider
    10:17 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Kids at his school say he is down to fla st and ky and just can’t decide

33. "Studying"Abroad
    10:17 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Brandon Jennings, currently of the Bucks, did play a year abroad in Italy (I think) a couple years ago. It seems to have helped his game, and like you mentioned, he got paid. I’m surprised more high school kids haven’t started going that route

34. 14 and 23
    10:19 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

In the post, it lists Westbrook as one of the best ATHLETES to ever play in the league, which is a complete fact because Westbrook is about as unique as it comes with his combination of speed, quickness, and jumping ability for his height. Although Cory gets a lot of grief, I don’t think he was in any trying to say he was one of the best players to ever play in the league, just athlete.

35. 9for9
    10:21 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I liked this article better. http://rookiewire.com/2013/05/will-andrew-wiggins-make-it-9-for-9-for-uk/
    We need to get #9for9 trending.

36. Michael F. Jox
    10:35 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

#28 – Since the Wiggins family is supposed to be so close FSU still, and there’s probably a good chance that at the age of 14 Andrew was already coveted, yeah, I can see that happening. Maybe an elite program wouldn’t go that route, but considering the situation with the family and the school, and the fact that Fla St. isn’t an elite program, it’s really that hard to understand?

#30 – I Totally forgot about Andrew reclassifying. Thanks 🙂

37. Maggs
    10:37 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I dont understand all the comments saying “Pick a school, get it over with”. The 18 year old kid is making a decision that may impact his entire future. Let him take his time, and go where he and his family are most comfortable. This decision could greatly impact his financial future. I dont think he is milking this situation at all, I think the kid is just trying to weigh out all of his options to make the best decision he can. I hope that hes a Cat, but whatever he chooses is ultimatly his and his families decision.

38. kyle heavy
    10:39 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

35 – Good article. Thanks for the link.

39. frickenbocker
    10:42 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

for a kid that “supposedly” doesn’t like attention, he sure seems to be loving it.
    make a decision already, or stop with the “shy type” BS.

40. jaws2
    10:49 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

Tired of hearing about it. Move on please.

41. Whatttt
    10:54 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

At this point who cares ?The kids says he dont want to be in the spot light.BULL if that was the case he wouldnt drag this out.We dont really need a kid like that.

42. Brian Johnson
    10:57 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t read this post, but I have a comment that I didn’t get to make on Corey’s post from yesterday:
    Corey, how dare you attempt to associate your lack of talent with AC/DC. Shame, shame, shame.

43. UKSupporter76
    11:03 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

@36 I’m not aware of a school, elite or otherwise, that treats scholarships as anything ess than a precious commodity. Yes, you can invision a scenario where The wanted to land Andrew 4 years ago…

But is it sooooo hard to envision a scenario where they *wouldn’t*???

You wanted to know why they wouldn’t. I told you, one of many scenarios why they wouldn’t. Why are you so fixated on one that didn’t even happen?

I get why you think your alternate reality could have happened. I’m just having trouble figuring out why you’re having so much difficulty accepting the reality that *did* happen.

44. Not Reilly
    11:19 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

#37 – I get that, but in all reality he is making a decision that will impact him next year. He’s gone to the NBA no matter what. If Nerlens can destroy a knee and be a top 5 pick, nothing less than an amputation will knock Wiggins out of #1.

Impact on his finances – $0. If he decided to go to Alabama State, he’d still be the overall #1 pick.

He’s known his options for about a year now. He simply doesn’t want to make anyone upset. I get that too, but he’s starting a phase of his life where big decisions have to be made. How you handle the first one might impact how he handles them from now on, but right now he’s not handling it well.

45. scottydee
    11:36 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

What seems to never be mentioned is that the school you attend has an enormous impact financially. Your gonna tell me the kid would have the built in following at Alabama St. like he would here. Jennings may have gotten paid overseas but think of the money he is still losing today because no college fanbase supports his brand. Did any kid in Ky not own a Rex Chapman Hornets Jersey years ago. My guess is the decisions could mean millions down the road.

46. Paducat
    11:40 am May 2, 2013 Permalink

I think the fact that their father played in the NBA and mother is a phenomenal athlete as well, would be enough to hedge a bet that the little brother would be pretty good growing up so why not offer the older brother who obviously has D1 talent in hopes of landing the little brother?

47. Michael F. Jox
    12:56 pm May 2, 2013 Permalink

#43 – BCG offered Dakota when he was in what grade again? Cal just offered a 2016 player, but you don’t think schools recruit 14yr olds? Sorry for wondering why they’d risk the Wiggins family feeling scorned over the situation. Also, thanks for your pretentious rant about my inability to accept reality, it’s appreciated.

#46 – According to #43 you shouldn’t think such things and just accept reality. Is that SO hard?

48. maybe
    1:10 pm May 2, 2013 Permalink

#35 I like the 949 theme.

49. UKSupporter76
    1:27 pm May 2, 2013 Permalink

@46 Why would you assusme that the younger brother would bea phenom when the elder was a marginal D1 athlete?

@47 If you didn’t want your question answered, why ask it? Also, BCG is a drunken idiot, so I wouldn’t base your argument on him. But we aren’t talking about other players, we are talking about Andrew and Nick Wiggins. Not hypotheticals… You didn’t ask why FSU didn’t offer some rando kid a scholarship for 2016. You wondered why FSU didn’t offer Nick Wiggins a scholarship 4 years ago. I told you why they probably didn’t. It could have been any other reason as well. Why do you care? They didn’t, so what does it matter?

And your welcome for the rant. And feel free to lecture me more about being pretentious all while acting like you know more about recruiting that Division 1 coaches. It’s cute when you do that.

50. Not Reilly
    1:33 pm May 2, 2013 Permalink

#45 – The school doesn’t get the majority of revenue from jerseys.

If you really think Brandon Jennings lost money because he didn’t build his brand in college…think about what you are saying.

At some point in the NBA, it really doesn’t matter where you went to college.

51. UKSupporter76
    1:42 pm May 2, 2013 Permalink

To add to what 50 said…

Yeah, I don’t think Kobe and Bron Bron, and KG et al are too broken up about losing out on college-fan jersey sales.

Besides, having a college allegiance can work against you as much as it can work for you. How many UK fans might have been wearing Grant Hill jerseys if he hadn’t gone to Duke? I’ll bet there are some stubborn UK fans that wouldn’t wear MJ gear since he played for UNC.

That street goes both ways.

52. kybigblue
    2:19 pm May 2, 2013 Permalink

The report that Wiggins doesn’t like the limelight looks to be off base. He continues to drag out his decision thus drawing more attention to himself. If he is freshmen of the year all this hype will just make him more valuable next year when he goes to the NBA. Not a bad move on his part.

53. monte
    2:20 pm May 2, 2013 Permalink

We all want Wiggy but does he really want us? He has been approached by all of our recruits to join something special and has not given us one hint if he wants to be in the greatest recruiting class ever. Everyone of our recruits wants to be part of our history and destiny and have gone out of their way to reach him. He knows Cal, members of our team and what we can accomplish…Wiggins make a choice, remember Jordan was playing under Dean, not Williams….Fla St really? I understand the pressure from your folks…Kansas you can watch the corn grow in the off season….Lexington 21 players currently in the NBA….and a perfect fit for your style of play….you are a star and will make it big in the NBA no matter what school you play for…so make that first year go down in history of the NCAA as the best ever and number 9 hanging in Rupp.

54. The Full Monte
    2:55 pm May 2, 2013 Permalink

Williams was an assistant under Dean, Tallahassee sounds like a great place to live – compared to Lexington and Kansas is a wheat state.

55. Shannon
    3:06 pm May 2, 2013 Permalink

#53 I couldn’t have said it any better. #44 I agree with what you said up to the last sentence where you said he’s not handling it well. I’m not sure you can buy the media attention he is getting by dragging this out, if in fact that is what he’s intentionally doing. However, the longer it goes on the more potential ill will follows from the teams not chosen fan bases. If his worry is not wanting to hurt anyone the effect could be the opposite due to the buildup and anxiety of the situation.

56. bluesman
    4:41 pm May 2, 2013 Permalink

#54 If the Wiggin’s like Tallahassee so much what are they doing in Canada?seem to me they would be at least living in the State where they both atended College ah like many former UK players do

57. bluesman
    4:46 pm May 2, 2013 Permalink

Oh might add why didnt they send their Son to one of those prep S. instead of one in WV.

58. Bluemania
    5:29 pm May 2, 2013 Permalink

Well said #53!! That’s more like it!! I’m afraid all of the negative statements myself! We need to be giving him reasons to be a wildcat, not run him off! I mean I understand the frustration, but maybe he really don’t know where he wants to play yet! I look at it like this, if he does happen to read this he would prolly get the idea we just don’t care where he goes! I’d rather give him reasons to encourage him to come; like making history, a national championship, definitely how cal can improve his game and really get him ready for the NBA!! Things like this is what we should be putting on here, instead of we don’t care where he goes just as long as he just makes a decision! Don’t get me wrong I want him to hurry up and pick, it’s about to kill me, but for gods sake less watch what we say, please!! I’ve said on here before, just calm down he is a very smart young man, and I most definitely believe when it’s over with he will be wearing a kentucky uniform!! But alot of this negative crap could be coming from fans from other places!! I wouldn’t put it past the pricks!! GO BIG BLUE!! Just keep the faith!!!

59. Katdaddy
    9:51 pm May 2, 2013 Permalink

@27 I think poythress needs to learn where the baseline is so he don’t step out of bound everytime he drives to the rim. I’m really glad he came back mainly for his own good. He was highly overrated and i don’t have any exspectations for him. He was the biggest let down on this past season team.