Andrew Harrison and Jabari Parker debate the one-and-done rule

andrew-harrison

The good quotes from the Jordan Brand Classic keep pouring in. One of the hot topics in college basketball right now is the one and done rule, of which Kentucky and Calipari have become the symbol. How does the nation’s top talent feel about the one-and-done culture? Jabari Parker and Andrew Harrison, two of the best players in the 2013 class, have very different views.

Jabari Parker told reporters that he chose to commit to Duke over Kentucky because he didn’t like the “whole attitude and approach of the one-and-dones”:

“I think in college they give you a chance to really mature, form yourself and build relationships. I think that’s what a team is all about, and when you build relationships, it shows on the court and that brings out success. I love the whole attitude of staying in college to take advantage of a free education. I just felt like Kentucky wasn’t a fit for me. The whole attitude and approach of the one-and-dones, that’s good for them, that’s their decision. But I think [Duke] Coach [Mike Krzyzewski] is a guru of basketball. I want to learn from one of the best.”

That’s all fine and good for Jabari, but most of the top high school players have one dream above all others: getting to the NBA. Andrew Harrison says that most of the coaches he and his brother encountered during their recruitment sugarcoated their pitches, whereas John Calipari kept it real:

“Most coaches try to tell you that, ’Oh we love you,’ and stuff. How do you love me? You wouldn’t be sitting in my living room if I couldn’t play basketball, so don’t sit here and say it’s any other way. That’s why I like Coach [Calipari], because he told me that he could make me better. He didn’t promise me anything. All the other coaches just kiss your butt.”

The one-and-done rule is a reality we have to live with until the powers that be come up with a better solution. The difference between John Calipari and the other coaches? He’s realistic about its existence and focuses on getting his players ready for the next level when they’re ready to make the jump. The only way to do that with kids who have been told they’re the best from day one? Check egos at the door and don’t make promises.

83 Comments for Andrew Harrison and Jabari Parker debate the one-and-done rule

1. biggity
    12:04 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

B.S. – Like Parker is not going to try and be a one-and-done. I’ll believe that when I see it!

2. Rockfield, KY
    12:06 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Jabari needs to recognize that no one forces you to go to the NBA early, but Cal also won’t hold you back like Coach K does. You can stay in school at any school, just like you can be a one and done at any school. Who is he trying to kid? Without the one and done rule, there is no way in hell that he would be going to college at all. Sounds pretty pretentious to me.

3. Preach it Biggity...
    12:07 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

…we need to keep Parker’s quote and tweet it next year when he announces. Show me a projected 1-5 lottery pick with one year of college experience who won’t go pro?

4. Matt
    12:10 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Parker is just trying to convince himself he is better than everyone else when he is exactly like all of the other kids trying to get to the NBA as fast as possible. His attitude will fit right in at Duke.

5. NBA league pass
    12:11 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

I’d like to one and done his ass out of the tourny next year.

6. Noel4Prez
    12:12 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

#1… Mos def. Does anyone believe Parker will stay all 4 years at Duke? pllllEEASSSEEEEE

7. RahRah
    12:12 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

So J Parker is trying to convince everyone he is staying at Duke the full 4 years? Believe it when I see it. Puh-lease.

8. Dusten
    12:13 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

1. Parker is going to be a one and done.
    2. What “attitude” do we have here at Kentucky? That if a player is ready to be payed for his hard work and ability we aren’t mad at him?
    Parker is just salty that he isn’t a part of the greatest class of all time, and he’s just trying to put them down.

9. Jpo
    12:14 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Jabari’s response gave oldschool a boner

10. CollegeEducation
    12:14 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

So, is this Parker kid trying to convince us that he is really going to college for an education? LOL! I agree with #3, keep his quote and throw it back at him when he declares for the draft after only one educated season at Duke!

11. Parker Is Overrated
    12:15 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

3, I definitely agree with you, BUT marcus smart is staying after he was in college for 1 year and projected top 5…

12. Rambo
    12:17 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

I fail to see the debate between these two! Were they both asked the same question? It doesn’t sound like it. It sounds like Jabari was asked one thing and Andrew was asked something totally different and somebody from the media took these two answers and jammed them together under one headline! A very messy PB&J sandwich!

13. Shaffer
    12:18 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Coach K doesn’t deal with this one and done nonsense! Period. End of discussion. He is above it and his players are real STUDENT-athletes…wait, Kyrie Irving & Austin Rivers…nevermind.

14. Check yoself
    12:19 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

11 that may be true but that is just one case…it is very very very rare for a college player predicted top 5 to come back…the times a player projected top 10 has left far outweighs the times they have stayed…sooooooo that is not a legit comparison

I bet Jabari Parker comes back…until he wants doubters to eat they feet

15. Big Blue B-Rad
    12:20 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Amen 1)! But after he goes one-and-done, the explanation is going to be that “he wasn’t a good fit at Duke.” BS.

16. Shaffer
    12:22 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

I will NEVER hate on a kid for going for the money when it is best for them. I played with a friend in HS who after sophomore year of college was a projected lottery pick. He stayed all 4 years and was taken in the 2nd round and out of the NBA in 3 years. He has made a great life for his family through the NBA, D-League and oversees, but you gotta strike when the irons hot.

17. Check yoself
    12:22 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Correction- I bet Jabari f

18. ha
    12:24 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

brandon knight was just as good of a student if not bettet than jabari parker, and he was a one and done. Who is he trying to fool?

19. ha
    12:25 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

also if there wasnt this one and done rule does anybody think he wouldnt have skipped college and gone staight to the nba? ya me neither.

20. blackhawk509
    12:31 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Jabari Parker was Cal’s afterthought…Cal would take an injured Randle over him was a slap on his ego…he is way overrated. And one must remember as a LDS he believes in magic under-wear.

21. JKUK
    12:33 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

@18 may I ask who the player is?

22. JKUK
    12:33 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

And 18 btw I completely agree

23. Jpo
    12:34 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

22. EVERY religion sounds idiotic to an outsider

24. Sam
    12:35 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

I’ll give him Coach K and Duke education that if he’s staying 3/4 years and getting a degree, otherwise stop complaining.

25. NCAA
    12:37 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

There is a rumor going around that the NCAA may put in a new rule that hurts one and done programs. Basically, each scholarship is good for two years. If a kid transfers or goes pro, that scholarship will not be able to be used until after the second year. So, if you lose 6 or 7 to the pros in one year, you are screwed going forward.

26. Matt
    12:40 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

23. I am going to guess Dan Langhi from Marshall county and then Vanderbilt but we will have to wait for 18 to answer to find out for sure.

27. Well...
    12:46 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

@ 2. Marcus Smart was projected to go #2 and is returning to Oklahoma State. Just say’n…

28. Steve
    12:46 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

May Duke get placed in a Fri-Sun 2-3rd round site for the NCAA and find out what a guru K really is when his star doesn’t play on Sunday!

29. Jason
    12:48 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Everything I see and hear out of this Jabari Parker makes me think he is a class A tool!

Glad he’s going to Dook!

30. Softness
    12:57 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

KSR posted side by side pics of Parker and Wiggins awhile back. It was very obvious how soft Parker’s body was compared to Wiggins. He may indeed need a year to develop his body into an NBA body. Apparently Duke has the HGH on hand given the ridiculous Mason Plumlee?

31. Go To Your Room
    12:57 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Parker’s comment sounds kinda like Rick Pitino saying he doesn’t recruit “one and done’s” when he has offers on the table right now to 10 5 star recruits, including six players who are ranked either #1 or #2 at their position.

32. Lol
    12:58 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

30. Steve young (a mormon) played every Sunday in the NFL, and I’m sure Jabari will play Sunday games in the NFL

33. ????
    1:01 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

What is the deadline for recruits to commit?

34. Lol
    1:02 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

34. *meant NBA obviously

35. Pdoppy
    1:02 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

25- LDS IS idiotic. Those mormons are bad news. Glad he went to Duke. And, yes, I am VERY familiar with that “religion”, if you can call it that.

36. Corey
    1:04 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Very inappropriate for Parker to call out UK as if we pitched him some one-and-done recruiting sales pitch. Totally unnecessary to paint this program in a negative light just to highlight his college choice as if he’s somehow more enlightened and morally superior to the great young men who committed to the Big Blue. Jabari, you definitely belong at Duke. You’re snobbish arrogance will fit in nicely with that group. Good luck and see you in the pro’s soon. GO CATS!!!

37. Jpo
    1:05 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

37. lol ok man

38. Susan
    1:08 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Nothing is stopping ANY of these kids from getting an education at anytime. We have several players that have returned to take classes during the summer (I believe Anthony Davis and MKG are going to this summer), Rondo has, and Randall Cobb is currently attending. These kids are getting paid and don’t have to continue their education, but choose to. Why not free up a scholarship for the next guy?

39. bbr
    1:10 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Sweet! We now have a new dookie to despise.

40. Cal didn't want Parker?
    1:13 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Calipari had made it clear that he wanted Parker badly. When Jabari’s father, Sonny, called Calipari to congratulate him after winning the NCAA championship last spring, Calipari said: “I want to coach Jabari.”

What’s that, again? Duke 75 Kentucky 68

41. Oogie
    1:15 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Looks like the Dook rivalry is heating up again! Cool.

42. Oogie
    1:18 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

42. KY 94 Dook 88. KY 8 Dook 4.

43. Todd
    1:23 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

I usually keep my opinions to myself regarding a kid’s decision where to go to school and also about the one and done rule, but I think Jabari is showing a little jealousy and doing a little recruiting for coach K. he is helping coach K by trying to spread negativity towards the one and done scenario. if I am not mistaken coach K has had a few of them himself (most recently Kyrie Irvin). Plus Jabari is not going to stick around if he is a lottery pick next year. the only way he stays is if he falls. but don’t try to mask that as getting an education. if his stock is right he will leave just as fast as the other guys. I have not doubt the kid is serious about getting an education but it might be one that he comes back and gets. just getting a little frustrated with the haters hating on Cal and his system. thanks for the time.

44. Dewskilowe
    1:27 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

I get it there is Zero objectivity on this website someone ask a kid that UK wanted and he went somewhere else and spoke his true feeling you UK fans take offense to it. He does have a valid point Parker is a different type of kid and maybe doesn’t fit Calipari’s brashness and the love for attention. Just like Andrew Wiggins may not be a good fit for the Cats! This site was good 3 years ago now it’s has become a victim of it owns success feeding a irrational fan base that borders lines on psychotic. It is what it is, but Parker had a viable point and none of you guys were there for the interview! Whether you like it or not UK looks like a sleezy program but the way the continue to conduct their business. Yeah Calipari keeps it real, his team sucked this yr in part of his undoing. He missed on kids and missed evaluated some of his recruits. He finally had to coach a team instead of rolling the ball out and tell them to play ball. He threw this team under the bus so many times and it was a joke. He never had the balls to sit Goodwin and Proytheus he should of invested more time with Wiltjer. I never understood why he benched Wiltjer after a terrific performance at Ole Miss. So what Wiltjer is slow I get that but he has skill and he can shoot that ball! Cal should of adjusted to this teams short comings the minute he spotted them should of played some more zone us his bench more. I think Im going to take a break from this page because it is getting old and redundant time for me to move on.

45. RahRah
    1:28 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

#12, Flashy, not sure what your problem might be. I was basically saying the same thing as about 35 others on this post. Why the angry insults?

46. brain
    1:31 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

We stopped recruiting Parker when we knew we had Julius. He didn’t choose Duke over UK. Dukies are so full of themselves even before they get on campus. We’ll see you in the championship next year.

47. Todd
    1:33 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

and another thing. it also sounds like Coach P sounding off last month about the one and done. saying he likes to establish relationships? I have a high amount of respect for Pitino but that was obviously a recruiting ploy. the man is a very smart man and he is trying to get into to the heads of the recruits who have offers from louisville now who happen to be 5 stars and potential one and dones. there are certain coaches that will hold the kids back for the betterment of the programs and I think Coach P falls into that category. I am not saying it is wrong or right I am just saying don’t critique the other guy. you won your title and you won it with a couple of potential early entries into the NBA not exactly 4 year players. I am getting off my soap box now. 🙂

48. Matt
    1:36 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

46. Cal spent most of the season taking the heat for these kids. All Cal’s players have to do is play every possesion with heart and intensity and he will take a bullet for any of them. He finally gave up late in the season when he saw that the level of effort just wasn’t going to change with this group no matter what he tried.

It takes extreme situations for him to give up and throw his team under the bus unlike some coaches like Coach K or Bill Self who regularly blast their teams for bad games without anyone ever saying anything about it.

49. V
    1:36 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

I think is funny that Jabari Parker thinks he got into Duke on his merits in the classroom. You would not be touched with a 10 foot pole if you were not a good basketball player. So remember Jabari you got into DUKE because of your basketball skills not because of your brains. Keep it real–

50. Creans Smirk
    1:36 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Love Andrew’s smirk. Unlike mine, his looks like he wants to kick your a$$ all the time.

51. Billy
    1:40 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Finally, a kid with some sense.

52. dave
    1:42 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Jabari is what we used to call a lying hypocrite.

53. Mack
    1:47 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Never could see that there was a debate. Both kids were saying why they picked their schools only that the duke kid went negative on Kentucky, most likely just repeating part of the recruiting speach he had heard from his new college coach.

54. Douchekiblow
    1:50 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

#46. Get over yourself. I don’t care where he plays. I don’t care that he didn’t choose UK. It’s his decision. I don’t agree with his opinion, but it’s his. Granted schools like Texas, Ohio State, and even Duke have had one-and-dones, and he’s being a bit hypocritical as Coach K has recruited more than just the one and dones (Irving, Rivers, Maggette) Example-K recruited John Wall. Success is a part of this. UK has a down year, and loses just 2 of 4 Freshman (1 a top 3 pick). Michigan gets to the championship game, and let’s see what happens. The goal is the NBA. Why not go when you feel ready? It’s that persons choice. Enough said.
    And your review on UK and bashing Cal is comical. Why didn’t he use his bench more? Hmmmm..well, because his bench was TERRIBLE. They had 0 depth. They had no one on the bench that could defend once Noel went out. And Noel wasn’t there to cover up these problems. The recruiting class was weak, and Cal was surprised to have 6 draft picks. A championship can do that. For Wiltjer, sometimes the player needs to invest time in themself. Wiltjer regressed. It looked like he didn’t put in the work in the offseason. His shot was off. His footwork is terrible. If Noel isn’t there, Wiltjer can’t get bailed out as much on D. He’s then a liability when his shot was off, which was quite often this season. And people say he should have played more zone. Well, they can’t rebound well out of man, zone is even harder to rebound out of. Plus they had no court awareness in the zone. When teams shot terribly for a few series, it wasn’t because of this great zone. They simply didn’t have the right personnel. A soft pg, a sg that is unathletic, a sf that is really a scoring guard that forced the issue, a pf that went through the motions, a raw, talented center that doesn’t have a post game, and 3 white guys on the bench. Noel played with heart, and is a great defender.
    The team was bad because the personnel wasn’t there, and there was no leadership. Go ahead and move on since your so great. Personnaly I’ll be heart-broken.
    To sum this up: Go f yourself

55. Cal didn't want Parker?
    1:56 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

50) “Cal spent most of the season taking the heat for these kids.”

Was that before or after he called them “uncoachable”? Before or after he kicked Ryan Harrow when he was rolling around the floor in pain? Before or after he called him out in the press conference “we had someone go 2 for 12.” What about when he said Tennessee deserved to beat them by 50pts and that his players had no heart, hustle or toughness?

Yeah, he sure did take the brunt of the blame…

56. theSkinny81
    2:03 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

57 – Bellarmine.

57. JustSayin
    2:06 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

57) taken as a whole Cal took much of the blame rather than pointing fingers. Cal is not perfect. Do you think we can find any interesting quotes from Coach K about his team’s performance at times? What did you think of K’s 3am practice and comments after the drubbing at Miami this year? Coach K did not look so good there my friend.

58. Matt
    2:08 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

57. Everything you point out is from the last 8-10 games of the season and a result of a clear lack of effort. Most coaches will defend their kids but you won’t find a single coach in the country that will try to make excuses for a team that plays like they just don’t care. If you actually watched the games and listened to interviews Cal always said when they win it’s on them and when we lose it’s on me. He blamed his gameplan and coaching as much as possible until he realized that they had given up on him so he quit taking the heat for them. If you had watched the TN game which is where the “uncoachable” quote came from you would realize that even that was sugercoating it. That was the most embarrassing “effort” I have ever seen from a UK team.

Using the “kicked Ryan Harrow” line just proves you are nothing more than a sad troll who doesn’t follow UK closely and just repeats the crap you read on message boards from other trolls. If you compare Harrow on that “injury” to Noel on his you would never believe that Harrow just got kneed in the side and Noel had a season ending ACL injury. Harrow acted like he just got shot and Cal tapped him with his foot trying to get up because we needed him to be tough at the end of a close game with Vandy.

I know trolls don’t care about facts unless they can skew them to make whatever they hate look bad but I thought I would clear some things up for you.

59. capnmonkey
    2:14 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Staying in college to take advantage of a free education…hmmm….let’s run some numbers.

Free education while NCAA player: Cost of tuition: $0, Salary: $0, net income while earning degree: $0

Pay for education while NBA player: Cost of tuition: $120,000, Salary: $16,000,000, net income while earning degree: $15,880,000

Hopefully after four years at Duke Jabari can distinguish which one of these is a more advantageous situation for an athlete.

60. Sammydog
    2:19 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

If this site is so bad, why do all the fans of rival schools come here to post drivel. It used to be just UL and IU. Occasionally, WV fans. Now it is attracting Duke, UNC, Ohio State,Florida, Bama. KRS has arrived. Please just go away.You are not part of la familia. We really don’t want to read your comments.

61. STEVE!
    2:20 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

It’s a good thing that UK is willing to take these players that only want to play college ball for one year, since no other programs try to recruit or sign them. Just think how bored Wall, Cousins, Knight, Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, and Noel would have been sitting around not playing ball for a year if we hadn’t come to their rescue.

62. Big Blue B-Rad
    2:27 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Now STEVE! you know haters dont’ like when you bring up facts. They only get in the way. In fact, I’ll extend an offer to anyone out there pretending the one-and-done thing is only Calipari’s thing. You can make that claim the next time there’s a recruit who seriously wants to attend a school like UF,UL,IU,Duke,UNC,Syracuse, etc (meaning he has that school as a finalist) only to have the school tell him, “we don’t want you since you’re only interested in playing here one year.” The fact is Calipari doesn’t recruit players to be 1 and done. However, he develops them so well that they are ready for the pros after that one year.

63. Mc
    2:48 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

I tend to agree with Kyrie Irving among others with their thoughts of the one-and-done. Wonder what Jabari’s feelings are regarding Irving?

64. Tom
    2:56 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Good link 65. I think it’s funny that fan bases associate the one-and-done strictly with UK and Coach Cal. Granted they have had a few more lately, other schools like Ohio State, Texas, and UCLA have had a good amount too. It’s also funny that some of these fan bases don’t realize that their coach tried to recruit these same players; for example Indiana recruited D. Rose, Duke recruited John Wall and Branden Wright as well as Irving knowing he was going to be a one-and-done.
    The bottom-line is simple. Haters are going to hate. They can bash UK when in fact their team is no different. Just a little less successful at getting these players ala Pitino. He still had a successful season, but he still tries to get guys he knows are one and dones.

These fans and some in the media have an agenda and try to manipulate things to fit their point without countering their own argument as prep for a rebuttal.

65. Cal didn't want Parker?
    3:00 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

I said 2 things: 1) Contrary to what BBN thinks and says, Calipari heavily recruited Parker and wanted him badly. 2) Calipari did not take accountability or accept responsibility for this teams horrific season.

No one is mocking the 1-and-done thing. Duke has 1 and dones (Irving, Rivers). Parker just said it wasn’t for him, he also said “I just felt like Kentucky wasn’t a fit for me. The whole attitude and approach of the one-and-dones, that’s good for them, that’s their decision.” No one (including Jabari) said it was a bad thing.

It’s hilarious that as soon as a player picks a different school, he’s a “hater”, or “Cal didn’t want him anyway.” I GUARANTEE you, when Wiggins picks FSU, all of BBN will claim they didn’t want him anyway and that Calipari backed off once he got the Harrison twins or some crazy shit like that.

Stop being so sensitive! Kids can pick schools other than UK and not be bashing them at the same time.

66. Honestly
    3:00 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

I really believe that Parker was the only guy in the top 12 or so that didn’t want to go to UK in the last 2 years at any point. I’m not sure about Hill either. Everyother top guy either chose us or seriously thought about us. Walker begged for an offer. Gordon thought about us. Had Vonleh stayed in his original class I think we would have been in the running for also. All the others picked us except Wiggins who still may.

67. Amile Jefferson
    3:00 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Hey look at me, I was a beast going into college have you heard anything from me since.

68. Jeremy
    3:04 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Breaking news: Duke has had one and dones, so has UNC, Kansas, Ohio State and every other school that is lucky enough to get that kind of talent. Don’t blame Kentucky for the one and done rule, they didn’t create it! jabari seems like a good kid so I will take him on his word that he is going to be at duke for three or four years and complete his degree and then turn pro. But if he does turn pro after his freshman year then ESPN and every other news source including the one that did this story should paste and copy this story with the one with him declaring after his first year at duke. Until then I will assume he will come back and ignore being a top pick… You can always come back and finish your degree, just like all of Cal’s guys have!

69. Amile Jefferson
    3:09 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

I have a feeling you will hear from me this year. Not everything happens immediately, ask Poythress and Goodwin. I chose a school where I could learn from experienced Seniors, not a school that plays in the NIT.

70. There's more than basketball
    3:19 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Parker is a NHS student who has always talked about getting the best education possible to prepare himself for life after basketball. If he’s serious about that education you could hardly fault someone for going to Duke versus somewhere like UK. I honestly think some of you people wouldn’t want their children to go to Duke just based on basketball bullsh*t.

71. MC
    3:35 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

#67) I’m part of BBN, and if Wiggins goes elsewhere I say good for him, and I’m happy with the guys we have. I can’t stand when people make statements like, “….all of BBN will claim…” blah, blah, blah. You look at any fanbase after a kid doesn’t pick their school and you’re going to find a large amount of fans that bash the kid.
    Every fanbase has idiots. Even good ole’ Duke. Rembember the girl at the Miami game from Duke that was appalled by how they were treated saying Duke students are above that? Then shortly after fans chant “how’s your grandma” to an NC State kid who’s grandma just died.
    How naive are you?
    If Parker stays in school…great. If he doesn’t, and it’s best for him…great. If he leaves, and still goes back for his degree as several UK players have…..great. If his reason is playing for coach K and the education Duke can offer, good for him. He seems like a good kid. He made a decision that he felt was best for him. Good for that. However, to one-and-done bashers, it isn’t just UK, and Coach K will recruit many of the same kids. There is some level of hypocrisy there.

72. bbr
    3:38 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

I certainly wouldn’t want my child goign to dUKe, based on their arrogance, represented majestically by their basketball coach.

73. Weis Jere
    3:50 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Has this always been true?

74. Duke Blows
    3:50 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

61) I’m not sure but doesn’t UK have a program that pays for former players to return to school and finish their degree. I think Turner, Estill, and maybe Mercer have used it!
    67) I hate to burst your bubble but Parker never was a top priority of Cals. That was the Twins plus Randle, did he want Parker? Sure he did but not as much as others and that had to hurt Parker’s ego!
    46) Why are you so angry man. From reading your post seems like you might need some anger management help! If KSR went to hell 3 years ago why are you still on here. Most people don’t continue coming to a blog they don’t like!
    I hope you get the help you need because carring around all that anger isn’t healthy! You need to find anther outlet other then a commenter on a sports blog! Damn head case!

75. BBN
    3:50 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

#67)UK was on Parker’s top 15 or so list. So obviously Cal recruited him. Wait, what’s the other obvious statement….Oh at the time Parker was the #1 rated player in the country? Huh? What’s that? Oh a coach wanted the top player? Crazy. Of course Cal wanted Parker, and he didn’t get him. You can’t win them all. I think it’s safe to say he’s done a great job regardless. Parker made the choice he thought was best for him. That’s it. Good for him.
    What’s your point? Coach K wanted John Wall. So did other’s. Thanks for the eye-opener.

76. Duke Blows
    3:56 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

73) I agree but the only thing is its only about 10% of the fan base. It’s just that the BBN is so big that 10% is a huge number! duke has their fair share too, like you said. I know you moron they have. He comes to a UK fan blog talking about how bad UK fans are!
    I just don’t get why any one would go to a rival site and complain about not being welcomed with open arms.

77. Newsflash
    4:00 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

This just in. Coach John Calipari tries recruiting the best players that he feels fits his system.
    Breaking News…Some of these players are good enough to go to the NBA, and although Cal doesn’t recruit them to be one-and-done players, he gives them his objective opinion in helping them do what’s best for them.
    More Breaking News..Cal told Goodwin he felt it to be in his best interest to return, but would support his decision.
    ALERT: Haters are going to hate to make themselves feel better. Whoever they root for are perfect and would never recruit a kid that would go pro early.

78. Bmac
    4:02 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Just because cal told a dude that he wanted to coach his son doesn’t mean he “wanted him badly”. Here is an except from a local paper.

“Parker is the most highly touted 2013 prospect Calipari has yet to meet with. Though UK is on his list of 11 schools, Parker hasn’t arranged a visit with the Wildcats and there are no indications that one is in the plans. The UK coach was in Chicago last week to meet with 2014 stars Cliff Alexander and Jahlil Okafor, but he didn’t drop in on Parker, who has scheduled meetings with nine other schools.”

Doesnt sound like Cal wanted him too badly. In fact According to Scout he never even received an offer from UK. Sounds like to me he’s another kid who “chose” a school over UK without there really being any interest anyway.

Sounds like this kid is a perfect fit for Duke anyway. Not everyone had what it takes to play at Kentucky.

79. MC
    4:02 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

#78) Completely agree.

80. blackhawk509
    5:21 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Coach K bad team…no problem… take the year off and protect the record.

81. Steady
    7:03 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Parker is just repeating K’s sales pitch. There are many reason to not like Duke, this is just a small sample.

82. catdaddyd
    7:37 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

Some guys need to stay in school longer for maturity reasons. Just because a kid is physically ready for the NBA doesn’t mean he should go. Maybe Smart is not ready mentally.

83. jeff
    10:27 pm April 17, 2013 Permalink

#3 Smart this yr from OK St….However 95% of the time they go. Parkers a great player who will more than likely be a lottery pick… Here at KY we have at least 4 lottery picks next year (5) if your counting Wiggins who I’ve already considered a cat..No doubt in my mind