And The Heisman Goes To… & Other News Of Note

The Heisman Trophy is given to “the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity.”. This year, if you’ve been living under a rock, the finalists for the award were the stoic Collin Klein, super freshman Johnny Manziel, and basketball broadcast invader Manti Te’o. All three guys have had incredible years but the real debate in this one was the classic battle of offense against defense. On offense Johnny Football has captivated the world of college football as he lead A&M to 10 wins and and upset of potential national champion Alabama. On defense Te’o anchored the nation’s top defense which lead Notre Dame to the BCS title game and a perfect season. All three guys were very deserving of the award. So who do you think is going to bring home the award in just about 20 minutes?

-On the recruiting front its starting to look like Cal’s full attention is shifting to 2014. With 2013 basically signed and delivered Coach has started trying to land another monster class. Tuesday Karl Towns announced his intentions to reclassify and come to Lexington, Cal quickly got to work trying to find some guys to join him. On Wednesday Coach Cal was in Minneapolis to see the number one guy in the class, Tyus Jones, kick off his junior season. Jones finished with 33 points in front of the nation’s top coaches. Following that he was in Indianapolis to visit number 5 guy Trey Lyles who was once committed to Indiana. At the end of the day which class will be better, 2013 of 2014?

-Finally check out this video from Taylor University. One of the biggest complaints from today’s game was about the crowd atmosphere. Rupp was quiet and there were a number of empty seats down low. Granted, it’s hard to get up for Portland but it’s a basketball game not a night at the opera. Anyways, Kentucky fans could learn a lesson from the fans at Taylor University. Every year the Trojans have “Silent Night” where the fans stay absolutely quiet until the 10th point is scored, at which point they go completely bananas. The method works as Taylor is undefeated on games played on Silent Night. Could you imagine this with 24,000+?

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

92 Comments for And The Heisman Goes To… & Other News Of Note

1. English 101
    8:37 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

There’s no such word as “anyways”. Please remove it from your vocabulary for the sake of future writing jobs. Thank me later!

2. BigBluesClues
    8:38 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

I’M obviously not Totally Serious…but Sometimes At Rupp, at least on Tv, we may accidentaly Have been Doing this B4 without trying, well maybe just a Bit above Silent. But Maybe forcing Rupp Crowds 2B silent might actually wake them up, if we did something similar at our home games…I’m Up For Anything that gets em going

3. beeeyah
    8:39 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Something like that silent night video would be awesome in Rupp, but it would require them to actually fill the lowers with students and people under 60

4. Experience
    8:44 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

It might prove to be a little embarrassing for the older crowd settling in after a pre-game Mexican meal!

5. Todd
    8:47 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Stop being such a nitpicky loser, #1. If it makes you feel like stroking yourself to critique grammar, punctuation, etc. on the Internet, then you need to go out and meet, or hire, a woman. English 101 should have also taught you to place your period inside of your parentheses at the end of the sentence. Point being: Don’t criticize others when everyone makes mistakes, especially on a god damn blog.

6. BB
    8:50 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

We should schedule Taylor U. to come to Rupp and do it with them.

7. Untold
    8:53 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

My source just told me the heisman winner…I can’t believe this result. Didn’t think the best player won IMHO

8. Todd
    8:55 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

I meant quotation marks, not parentheses, in #5. See, everybody makes mistakes. That, or they’re a little drunk, like myself. I also assume most KSR writers are drunks and alcoholics.

9. Joker Phillips
    8:56 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

How many votes did Morgan Newton get?

10. KBF
    8:56 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Spoiler alert. It’s Johnny Football.

11. WTF KSR
    8:57 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Andrew Cassady, the basketball class of 2013 is hardly complete, signed, and delivered. Do you even remotely pay attention to your own team?

It’s an incomplete class. Waiting on two HUGE decisions.

12. Untold
    8:59 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

You all are so stupid for getting your news from Jones when I get mine earlier from my source.

13. fatkidineastky
    9:00 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

14. Viv
    9:01 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

I have also been on reddit.com/r/collegebasketball. you do work hard for your stories.

15. KBF
    9:01 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Agreed #11,
    It is far from wrapped up. Wiggins Is the best high am school player I’ve ever seen. Saying his decision is huge is still an understatement.

16. SuperCats
    9:02 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

2013 signed and delivered???
    What? Please explain…

17. WTF KSR
    9:02 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Manzell should thank the SEC. If it wasn’t for the SEC, he wouldn’t be on that stage, regardless of his efforts.

18. James K
    9:02 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Am I an asshole because I rooted against Teo getting it just because of that broadcast?

19. 44 Stitches
    9:08 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

@18 NO not at all.

20. Untold
    9:08 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

2013 is done for us. My source tells me Randle to Florida and Wiggins to Florida State. Matt probably knows this too, but for sure after my source did.

21. Joe
    9:18 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Todd Says:
    December 8th, 2012 at 8:47 pm
    Stop being such a nitpicky loser, #1.

No, it’s not being nit-picky. It’s about professionalism. You, you’re just a commenter and if you want to misspell, use poor grammar,that’s fine. Writers, contributors are supposed to be a little better.

You don’t hear or see editors telling their writers “It’s about the news, sew done’t wurry ’bout miz-spellings and pour grammer.”

And Matt and the other share holders need to emphasize that to the staff, even the UNPAID staff! Arianna Huffington didn’t let her staff write poorly, stupidly, mayhap, but not poorly. It reflects on the staff and ownership.

You don’t have to be Hemingway, but you do need to use the English language correctly.

22. ESPN hater
    9:24 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

SO glad Manti Tebow…er…uh Te’o didn’t get the Heisman. Maybe now the media and the rest of the nation can stop fellatiating this guy and move on to something else.

23. ESPN hater
    9:25 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

@21, couldn’t agree more.

24. Debbie
    9:28 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

More like Gaylor University.

25. Catlanta
    9:28 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Was just looking at some nba mock drafts to check out where our players are being projected as of now. I noticed russ smith of the tards is listed in the first round of almost every mock draft now. who would have thunk it?

26. Rupp
    9:31 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

To make things even worse..KU came on right after and their fans were going nuts the WHOLE game. Guess who they were playing, Colorodo. It’s time to quit being lame you old farts and cheer for kids. Rupp was f-ing embarrasing today.

27. Todd
    9:37 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

#21 – Oh, please, take your bold quotes and shove them up your ass.

My point was don’t criticize the mistakes of others and then make mistakes yourself. It’s a blog, not a news site like Huffington, and until this site steps away from this anonymous, mid-2000s WordPress style of reporting, it will not be considered in line with “legitimate” new sites. It’s entertainment, and I, like many others, don’t particularly care if a young person with no background in journalism types like they talk, makes a typo, or whatever.

28. Just wondering
    9:37 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

21-If it’s that important to you, why don’t you send Matt an email every time you see an error? The link is at the top of the website. The comment section, in my opinion, should be used to discuss the subject written about. Most people just want to talk about sports on here.

29. ESPN hater
    9:45 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

You don’t have to have a “background in journalism” to write properly and use good grammar and spell well. You just have to have had good learnin growing up. Or the way most of you speak, “growed up”. It’s a virtue that no one gives a shit about anymore and it’s a f-ing shame. On the bright side though, it helps me to know what kind of idiots I’m dealing with on these blogs, which is good to know.

30. James K
    9:46 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

I agree with Todd. I’m pretty staunch about grammatical mistakes and the like, and I wasn’t perturbed by that particular mistake because of the context. Chill the hell out, man. Goodness. If this were a printed publication, I might start to agree with you, but it’s not. The phrase “most ridiculous manner possible” is at the top of this BLOG.

31. ESPN hater
    9:46 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

oops. That should be “learnin” with an apostrophe. Yee haw.

32. Todd
    9:49 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

He used the word “anyways.” Is that REALLY worth getting worked up over? Not being bothered that he used THAT word makes the rest of us idiots? Seriously?

Again, I assume you’re the #1 poster as well, since you made the exact same mistake with the quotation marks again – specifically, putting the period outside of them. That’s wrong. Look it up. And stop throwing stones when you live in a glass house.

33. Todd
    9:51 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Actually, I assume you’re probably in college right now and somehow making yourself feel smarter by trying to degrade others on the Internet by picking on their writing. When you get older, you’ll understand that there are more important things in the world than that crap.

34. 3cats
    9:55 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

right on # 5

35. ESPN hater
    9:57 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Todd, you’re wrong a lot, apparently. I don’t care about using the word “anyways”. No big deal to me. My point is that proper spelling and grammar are a virtue and one of the most basic things a kid should learn. It helps you in all aspects of life for your entire life. You will be judged, whether fairly or not, on how well you communicate with others. Even in a blog. If we make it ok that kids type like they talk, it’s a disservice to them. If you can’t spell or use good grammar, I wont hire you. Sorry, but that’s the way it is in the real world.

36. Get them Todd
    10:02 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Torque his ass up Todd. All these Eng 101 majors are total D bags.

37. Get them Todd
    10:04 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

#35 you are a D bag. You might use better Grammer then I do. So what I can build a jet engine bet you can’t.

38. fireants25
    10:06 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

lets get this going in rupp except we need to do it at the 8 minute mark for the number of titles we have and each title we get we increase the time a min

39. Todd
    10:06 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

#35 – Yeah, yeah, yeah, I’m sure you’re hiring a lot of people. My eyes are rolling so hard they’re about to fall out of my head right now.

You criticized a writer on KSR for using the word “anyways.” I called you out on it. And now you’re shifting the argument to somehow make it sound as if I’ve said that being an illiterate is OK.

It is important to communicate in a coherent, logical way with others; however, I am not going to come on KSR and complain about one of their writers using a word that I do not like. That’s absolutely pointless. Especially if I am also making an identical mistake, as you have numerous times by putting that damn period outside of your quotation marks.

If you don’t like what you read on this site, stop coming here.

40. Get them Todd
    10:10 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Bet if you had to fly on a jet one of us had worked on you wouldn’t care if I wrote there or they’re

41. James K
    10:11 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Typically “ok” is spelled “okay”, #35. Furthermore, if we’re talking about a blog, things can’t technically be posted IN a blog, but rather ON a blog. Not to take it too far, but the phrase “good grammar” is incorrect as well. Oh, before I forget — you will want to include the apostrophe in the word “won’t” next time. It was a great try, though!

I want to make sure I tell you to go to hell, too.

42. Truth
    10:15 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Todd is the second coming of Jerry Sandusky

43. Get'em Todd
    10:16 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Ditto what 41 said

44. Truth
    10:16 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

And James K is the victim of his “rhythmic slapping”

45. Get'em Todd
    10:17 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

42 I think that’s a little overboard.

46. Todd
    10:18 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Wow, a complete inexplicable, irrelevant Jerry Sandusky joke. Louis C.K. is going to be stealing material from you before you know it, Truth.

47. ESPN hater
    10:19 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

I build jet ingines dur dur dur. I like ta fish and hunt and keel things to dur dur dur. Me an Todd are goin on a date soon dur dur dur.

48. Truth
    10:19 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Todd spreads his butt cheeks like Mike Honcho

49. ESPN hater
    10:19 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

I enjoy the sensation of a warm, wet penis in my butthole.

50. Todd
    10:20 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Only for Matt Jones and John Calipari.

51. ESPN hater
    10:23 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Got ’em ALL riled up! heh heh. Kids are right. Trolling IS fun.

52. Todd
    10:25 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

I enjoy rhythmic slapping just as much as the next guy, but not as much as “Uncle Jerry.”

53. ESPN hater
    10:25 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Trolling KSR so hard that I can’t keep my hand out of my pants right now. This is so awesome.

54. Boomerball48
    10:26 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

#35, it should be proper grammar not good grammer unless you were making a point! By the way, this is a blog and not a news paper! They give us updates of what is happening! If you feel you need to grade the reports please use red font color so that they may correct the mistake!

55. Todd
    10:27 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Shouldn’t you be out making decisions on hiring and firing people for their writing ability, #47? Instead of wasting your time making gay jokes about straight guys on the Internet, I mean.

56. ESPN hater
    10:29 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

I am closeted and lonely and criticizing how people type on the Internet on a Saturday night!

I’m so F’N cool I just shat myself.

57. ESPN hater
    10:29 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

“Internet” doesn’t need to be capitalized. And don’t you mean “internets”?

58. ESPN hater
    10:31 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Man I love me some Kwacky fans.

59. Todd
    10:33 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Guess you should stop reading my posts if you don’t like how I capitalize “Internet.” Anyways….

60. Manti Te'o
    10:34 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Can I make out with some of you guys? I’m sad since I dint win no heisman.

61. Manti Te'o
    10:35 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Oh, and praise Jesus, by the way.

62. Johnny Football
    10:36 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

watch out, Manti, ESPN hater is gonna get on here and freak out cause he doesn’t think your name is spelled right in his version of the english language, then say you’re gay. dude’s like george carlin reborn or something. his insults will burn your eyes out of your skull

63. George Carlin
    10:40 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

If I was alive, I’d kick your ass for not capitalizing the “G” and the “C” in my name, johnny football.

64. Todd
    10:41 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

I like boys

65. Todd
    10:43 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Wow. Ok. Keep it classy, dude. That’s not so much insulting as it is showing how pathetic and unoriginal you are.

66. Todd
    10:44 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

In fact, I’m done. Keep ramming your head against your keyboard whenever you see the word “anyways.” If your idea of funny and insulting is “Jerry Sandusky,” grow up and get help.

67. ESPN hater
    10:45 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Shouldn’t that be “inorigional”? No, no. I’m wrong. Sorry. You’re right there on that one. My mistake.

68. ESPN hater
    10:47 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Ok, Todd, with two “D’s”. Have a great night. (funny thing about this whole thread is, he still thinks “English 101” and “ESPN Hater” are the same guy)(hee hee)(STILL does)

69. ESPN hater
    10:49 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

He’ll be going to bed thinking to himself, “I’m pretty damn sure they were the same guy. Just HAS to be….GOT to be. Gotta gotta gotta be.”

70. KBF
    10:49 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Told ya it would be Johnny Football.

71. ESPN / Manti Te'o hater
    10:51 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

And as I said earlier, I am very glad.

72. ESPN / Manti Te'o hater
    10:51 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

(praise Jesus)

73. ESPN hater
    10:54 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

pretty proud of myself here guys, just trolled my first thread onn KSR. who’s gonna go rub one out with me?

74. ESPN / Manti Te'o hater
    10:55 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

here i sit broken harted, came to troll and only sharted

75. English 101
    11:01 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Clearly we’re not the same person, ESPN Hater. I’m obviously your lover.

76. Wow
    11:16 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

What a bunch of freakin losers in this comment section. Get a life bums

77. Wow
    11:17 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Hey Todd and espn hater you oth need to get a life and try getting laid for once

78. Wow wow
    11:26 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

Oth FAIL

79. B. Mc
    11:38 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

The “Running of the bulls” part of their celebration was priceless…lol

80. Dude
    11:39 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

You keep proving my point you douchebag. I’m on an Ipad and didn’t push the “b”, Get a f-ing life

81. Rick
    11:46 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

wtf is going on here

82. Rick
    11:47 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

other than internet dick slapping, I mean

83. BBNNORTH
    11:52 pm December 8, 2012 Permalink

The beginning of that clip sounded like Rupp today…

84. Holler Baller
    9:57 am December 9, 2012 Permalink

Pretty cool and original and they have fu with it. We already have silent night with the good ole blue hairs all game every game.

85. Rodney K.
    10:02 am December 9, 2012 Permalink

Can’t we all just get along?

86. Travis
    10:25 am December 9, 2012 Permalink

I played college bball there and it was definitely one of the highlights of playing there.

87. Dirty Water
    10:30 am December 9, 2012 Permalink

My number 1 complaint about Rupp as of late has been the crowd. I have actually complained about it on this website before. I went to the UNC game last year, and it was insane! Wish it was like that every game, and honestly don’t understand why it’s not. 24,000 ppl should produce a deafening noise, not to mention it’s good for recruiting when they see Rupp is a fun place to play when you have rabid fans going crazy. Let’s hope they give students more seats and kick all the old ppl out, they sit on their hands and complain when you stand up.

88. Dirty Water
    10:30 am December 9, 2012 Permalink

89. Holler Baller
    11:31 am December 9, 2012 Permalink

87 Well Said. If you want to sit on your butt the whole game and leave early I’ll be more than happy to swap you my tickets on the top row for courtside.

90. Wow wow
    12:19 pm December 9, 2012 Permalink

Your right about the older crowd, but they are the ones who are giving the money to allow this program to be what it is. The eruption zone was a good idea. Maybe make it bigger could be a happy median for everyone.

91. BigBluesClues
    1:16 pm December 9, 2012 Permalink

The sound problems at Rupp may also Be Acoustic. its almost like Any Sound Goes straight up. But yeah old people tend to sit and possibly may be Asleep during our games

92. Memorial
    2:21 pm December 10, 2012 Permalink

What if the University held one Men’s basketball game in Memorial Coliseum and let it be open the the public and students, first come first serve. That would be electric!