An update from Camp Cal

Football has been stealing the show lately, but let us not forget the reason for the season: Kentucky basketball.  Your University of Kentucky Wildcats have been flying under the radar this week without a game, while going through three sessions a day during Christmas break.  The sessions include morning conditioning, afternoon practices, walkthroughs, film sessions, team meetings, team dinners, movie nights, and other functions at the Calipari home.  “It’s not always live body-to-body,” Calipari said in his Wednesday mailbag on his website.  But the team is always together.

The team is working to improve a lot of aspects of their game during this unrestricted time away from classes, and dieting is a huge part of Camp Cal.  “The biggest thing is they eat right,” he said.  “They have breakfast, lunch, and dinner — we’re monitoring it.  Guys are gaining weight, we’re weight training, we’re eating right — we’re getting our bodies back.”

He said the Wildcats are coming together as a team, however, on-court communication is still a long way from where it needs to be.  He said, “It’s not good.  It’s better but it’s still not good.”

So how are they working to improve it?

“We just run.”

Running, dieting, and weight training…  It’s kind of like my Christmas break but exactly the opposite.

Article written by Drew Franklin

19 Comments for An update from Camp Cal

1. Survey
    10:32 am December 20, 2012 Permalink

12th

2. UK Fan
    10:35 am December 20, 2012 Permalink

How do you train for a lack of winning motivation?

3. bluefan
    10:38 am December 20, 2012 Permalink

Finally……..basketball. Thanks, Drew.
    All I want for Christmas is a win on the 29th!
    Go Cats!

4. Some Guy
    10:49 am December 20, 2012 Permalink

This all sounds good to me. Can you imagine how this could affect recruiting. Everyone saw this team early in the season, if he can transform this team to a final four team, recruits will be amazed again.

5. Musehobo
    10:53 am December 20, 2012 Permalink

Haha, Cal looks stoned here.

6. RICK
    10:58 am December 20, 2012 Permalink

Listen you can run, eat and pratice togetherness all you want but if Cal makes a good point guard out of Harrow he may be the best basketball coach ever. I like Harrow and hope i am wrong.

7. rambo
    11:00 am December 20, 2012 Permalink

You’re a mean one, Mister Grinch
    You really are a heel,
    You’re as cuddly as a cactus,
    you’re as charming as an eel, Mister Grinch,

8. Billy
    11:01 am December 20, 2012 Permalink

Wow, thanks Drew! I could have sworn this was the exact same information that was on Coach Cal’s Mail Bag yesterday. Way to stay on top of things.

9. UKmmg2K
    11:04 am December 20, 2012 Permalink

This sounds great.. thank you for some basketball! I really hope we can pull out that win December 29th.

10. Good stuff
    11:34 am December 20, 2012 Permalink

Thanks Drew and I’m being serious, the things you post from other sites keeps me from having to go to 50 other sites to get info. Appreciate KSR!

11. papasnapp
    11:35 am December 20, 2012 Permalink

#3 bluefan: Just wondering; would you trade an L to UofL for a trip to the Final 4?

12. Big O
    11:56 am December 20, 2012 Permalink

UK could go 12-0 and win a big time bowl and hoops will still be king in the bluegrass. Welcome Mr. Stoops to Lexington where the ball is round!!!!!!!!!!

13. Stuck on Blue
    11:59 am December 20, 2012 Permalink

11.,papasnapp, do we really have to trade? Can’t we have both? 😉

14. papasnapp
    12:55 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

#13) Stuck on Blue: In the perfect BBN world, sure, we can have both and I do hope that we can accomplish both. I just wonder why some people are so keyed into the UofL game. I thoroughly understand the rivalry and look forward to the game every year. But, for me personally, if we lose on the 29th, the sun will still come up on the 30th and we’ll continue our journey to March/April. I think there are some out there that think the BBN mood turns solely on the one game. I’m sure there are UofL fans out there that feel the same way. Maybe I’m wrong. Seems to happen alot these days!

15. bluefan
    1:30 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

#11, papa, nope I would pick the Final Four if I had to choose but why not both? I just want to see the UofL game be the start of our season-changing turnaround. Gotta start somewhere.

16. bung
    2:33 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

I wonder if the freshman players get a formal introduction to the history of Ky basketball and past players…they should…I still think we will be in the final 4…and who knows what else the fast break can do…

17. BurnerTurner5
    3:20 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

Football’s been stealing the show lately? No s**t! I was begining to think there wasn’t a basketball season this year. One game a week and nothing but football talk every time you turn on the radio. But then again when someone thinks UK, football is the first thing that comes to mind.

18. papasnapp
    4:02 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

bluefan: Good, I’m on board with your latest comment. Like I posted to Stuck on Blue, accomplishing both would be the wonderful.

19. MKG Rules
    6:07 pm December 20, 2012 Permalink

11) I get your point and you may well be right. But after 3 early loses Cal should have their full attention . We need a good win for confidence now. Sure would be great to beat UL and for Harrow to finally show what he can do.you know Pitino really needs this win being that this team is on paper better then UK.
    The ones griping over football coverage grow up. This is a UK site and football is the one making making news now.