An open letter from BBN

A full back-page ad on today’s Kentucky Kernel – the UK student newspaper.

Photo via @KernelJohns

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

36 Comments for An open letter from BBN

1. cats
    1:09 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Maybe that will bring Willie back down to earth.

2. Lburg Drew
    1:12 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Awesome. Hopefully they know this is what BBN is all about. The people tweeting Willie are certainly not representative of the fan base as a whole.

3. Han
    1:12 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, that’s a direct response to Willie’s tweet, I think.

Trying to let him especially know that he is appreciated here and to ignore the haters.

4. 8titles
    1:13 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

That’s cool. Kids need to hear that after this year. Nobody wanted to succeed more than them.

5. Some Guy
    1:20 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Good game, Willard Keith.

6. mikey
    1:24 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Willard, you are da man!!!

7. OregonCat
    1:25 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Very nice.

8. RealCatsFan
    1:25 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Should have probably mentioned Nerlens too, but I think he already knows how loved he is around these parts.

9. Mullet Cat
    1:30 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Check out Colorado State pep band tomorrow against Loserville in Rupp. My owner and driver will be blowing his horn with the C State pep band.

10. Eric K
    1:31 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Now that is the REAL BBN!! GO CATS!!

11. cats for life
    1:33 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Awesome! Hope that brings a smile to those Guy’s face. I’m sure the last few days have felt like hell. Hope each and everyone of them come back. GO CATS!!!

12. Tylr
    1:33 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Kyle is pissed he wasn’t mentioned by name, so he is transferring to Gonzaga.

13. grandpa blue
    1:38 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

This is how the Vast Silent Majority of Kentucky Fans Feel, they don’t tweet,they don’t post, and they don’t call into radio shows, they just Love the Cats! We Love Ya Willie!

14. Bluebloodtoo
    1:40 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

This is the part of southern culture that makes me proud to call it home!!!!!!

15. DEASY
    1:43 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Grow up. Crying after games, pats on the back in the newspaper, BABIES. You had a bad year, deal with it. Man up.

16. spookykim
    1:44 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

#12 – hilarious! We love the players so much, we want to assume that they know that, but if they are listening to the haters, then we need to put it in print. Good job, Willard!

17. Eric K
    1:44 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

#15 go choke on one….

18. Duuuuuude
    1:47 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for posting this. It is so true. The VAST majority of BBN loves these guys. Always a few idiots in any fan base. Our fan base is so enormous that we have more than our share of “speak first think later” idiots.

19. ukfastcat
    1:53 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

OMG!!
    Willard Keith, M.D., was my teammate and very close friend on the UK Track team.
    He was from Somerset.
    A terrific guy who has done something anyone who knows him would say is typical of his good nature.
    GO WILLARD KEITH!
    GO UK TRACK!
    COME BACK WCS, ALEX, RYAN & ARCHIE!

20. Irony
    1:54 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

15 you told someone to grow up, and in the same post name-called (BABIES). Pot, meet kettle.

21. DEASY
    1:59 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

I love these guys as well, didn’t miss a single game this year and hope that every one of them returns. Just saying that I’m tired of the attitude that some people have that we should treat them like 4 year olds. I pay good money to watch them play a game, they chose to be in this spotlight, and I can’t make a comment on how awful they played? It’s a joke. “Oh Ryan, Willie, and Archie, you guys are just wonderful! How would I ever survive if I couldn’t suck your ass all day??? Please don’t think we hate you!”

Bottom line is, these are adults. This is a game. No one should directly attack these kids personally, but to act like we are happy with the way they performed and it’s OK for Ryan Harrow to ball like a 4 year old because he lost is ridiculous. Man up. Take responsibility for a bad season and work harder to make sure it never happens again.

22. sharon
    1:59 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

I couldn’t have said it better. I hope they all see it and realize that they just have to ignore the idiots. every team has them and you just wish they would pick another team they are the fair weather fans, which means they are not true fans. my heart went out to the guys because as much as I was hurting, they had to be feeling lower than whale manure.

23. Tyler Elrubio
    2:00 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Classy move!

24. crazycatfan
    2:10 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

What a wonderful thing to do!!! There should be a website where we can all sign that letter! Love my Cats!!! Stay home with us … you’ll never regret it!!! GO BIG BLUE!!!

25. Bender
    2:22 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

18) Couldn’t agree more!!!!

26. CATS #1
    2:29 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Well Said…! #BLUEFORLIFE

27. BeauKnows
    2:32 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Great ad, I think that reflects the sentiment of the vast majority of Kentucky fans. Many old time fans like myself have been through many ups and downs as Big Blue fans. One of my first memories of UK (other than the names Pratt and Issel) was the loss to UCLA in 1975. We love these guys and we want to see them do well. We all need to temper our expectations with the realization that most of these guys are youngsters and will do well given time to develop.
    GO CATS!!

28. Pabloco
    2:37 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

In a way, I have to agree with 15. A tougher crew wouldn’t be so thin skinned. A tougher crew wouldn’t give up in games, or not give 100%. A tougher crew wouldn’t get crushed by TN, beaten by GA or Bob Morris. Try hard and passionate UK fans treat you like a king, slack off and passion turns to anger quick.

That said, going on Twitter,etc and crushing a bunch of kids is ridiculous.

29. shannon
    2:41 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Great to see and great to hear. These students need to take a deep breath and relax. Everyting’s going to be all right.
    They should take the initiative to study their game film and fix the mistakes they were making on their own during the off season. Aechie not so many charges, Stein work on free throws and better footwork in the interior, and Poythress needs a better mental approach and team 1st attitude. I like Wooden’s Pyramid of Success they should hang it up in their dorm. Considering the potential fruits of their labor this isn’t asking alot.

30. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    2:51 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Agree with 28. While I appreciate the gesture as a fan and disagree with bashing UK players on social media; if the NBA is their ultimate goal they need to develop a tougher mentality to get the most out of their development. No gain without some pain.

31. Robert Morris
    2:57 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Huh. A get well card for LOSERS. How novel.

32. bash
    3:31 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Is it just me or does the letter look like it was written on a roll of toilet paper?

33. MBS
    4:17 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

SERIOUSLY ?

34. DEASY
    4:49 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

28. and 30. +1 glad someone agrees with me. I don’t advocate directly tweeting at the players either, I just want to be able to generally say, “Man that was a stupid play”, without every cry baby coming out of the wood work to say “You shouldn’t bash them, THEY A GOOD KIDDDDDDD.” lol.

35. Rich
    7:00 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Dang good to see!

36. njCat
    10:17 pm March 22, 2013 Permalink

Hey Deasy.. give it a rest. I don’t think anyone feels worse about this year than the players do. No need to rub it in. Can we just put this year behind us and look forward to what will be an amazing year next year.

No good comes from publicly criticising these kids, who I’m sure worked their tails off trying to make you happy.