Amy Jo Johnson’s News and Views

Saturday marks the 41st birthday of Amy Jo Johnson, better known as Pink Ranger Kimberly Ann Hart, or your first childhood crush.  Either her or Mark-Paul Gosselaar, depending on what you’re into.  An accomplished gymnast until the age of 17, Amy Jo stopped competing to pursue acting, and never looked back.  Acting in the Power Rangers television series before graduating high school, she returned to the pink and white to fight Japanese people in monster suits one last time, and win our hearts for good.  After the Power Ranger phenomenon died down (for other people, anyway), Amy Jo had a few other acting gigs, as well as performing as frontmanlady and guitarist for her band Valhalla.  She also paints in oils and acrylics.  In other words, she’s basically perfect.  Seriously, I dig her. If you’re reading this, Amy Jo, know that forty-one isn’t too old for me.  And I love blue.  I could be your Billy.  Think about it.

Where was I?  Oh, right, news and views!  Comin’ atcha.

The Bluegrass is still basking in the warm light that is the Harrisons’ commitment.  That could also just be the residual buzz from Keeneland opening day, but since I couldn’t make it, I’d like to think it’s the Harrisons.

-Speaking of Keeneland opening day… it’s Keeneland opening day!  The best two-month sporting event since the Olympics (and let’s face it, probably better than that) will keep Lexingtonians occupied for the better part of October.  Hope you have too much fun without losing too much money.  Check out Tomlin’s Keeneland primer if you’re a betting dilettante, or just want to lose particularly quickly.

-Unfortunately, Keeneland being open means that the already-low attendance for football games might get even lower.  Typically, the University will try to have October home games in the evening so that folks can double-dip on Kentucky goodness (at least according to the loading screens in NCAA ’08); tomorrow, however, the Cats play host to the Bulldogs tomorrow starting at 12:21.  I don’t want to speculate on what this will do to ticket sales, but my instincts say it won’t help.  My instincts also sometimes tell me to push the button on the mousetrap to see if my finger is stronger than a mouse, though, so maybe don’t trust my instincts.  (I bet it totally is, though.)

-Regardless of attendance, we know that at least two people will be in Commonwealth tomorrow afternoon to see what’s up: Jalen Whitlow and Patrick Towles.  With Max Smith out with an injury and Morgan Newton contemplating the more profound parts of his feet, the starting QB duty falls on the two true freshmen, with the bulk of the pressure on Whitlow.  Jalen performed very well in a “breakout” half last week against USC, before ultimately failing to put up points after the intermission.  We’ll see if both sides of the ball can’t keep up the first half effort throughout a much more winnable game.

More winnable doesn’t mean probably winnable though, unfortunately.  Stuart Hammer’s prediction post has the Cats losing 15-24, with a 28.2% chance at a win.  Keep your fingers crossed, and your taunts loud.

-I don’t like Glee, but I like Louisville less.  Apparently what the Cards thought of as a pretty cool thing (because they were desperate for any sort of attention, probably) has turned on them.  With the most recent episode wondering whether the drinking water in the 502 was clean to drink, or just quasi-filtered horse bilge, the last laugh is… well still on the people who watch Glee.  Seriously, because it’s terrible.  At least it has Jane Lynch, though.

-This is the photo of the day for Kentucky fans, because it’s hilarious that Cal and staff are trying to act anxious:

-Finally, on a very interesting and promising note, ESPN and CoachCal.com spent some time today discussing the upcoming  “All Access Kentucky” programming to air on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. later this month.  The first three half-hour episodes drop on the 17st, 24rd, and 31th of October, so keep your mid-week evenings free from commitments.  I expect we’ll see more back-stage footage of recruiting moments, like the one above, as Cal continues to sweat out the rigorous challenges of recrui…. hahahaha, sorry.  It’ll be a cakewalk, c’mon.  But we’ll watch it all the same.  And love it.

Will “The Tater” Totten and I will be around tomorrow to get you through your gameday, so get some sleep, sweet prince (or princess).  Kickoff is at 12:21, and Cane’s opens at 9.

Article written by Corey Nichols

37 Comments for Amy Jo Johnson’s News and Views

1. Yesindeedy
    10:45 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

Firstio!

2. Tired of Being 1 of 12 games
    10:45 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

Matt, if you want to post a photo of the Catwalk tomorrow, show the Catwalk while it is happening. Don’t show where the Catwalk will happen 30 minutes before it starts.

3. BUCats
    10:49 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

“I could be your Billy.” – so you want to be her gay friend?

4. In Cal We Trust
    10:55 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

Where did KSR come up with the idea for the #TWINNING shirts?

5. blah
    10:57 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

Obviously Glee doesn’t do their research . . . Louisville Tap is delicious.

6. Cal
    11:05 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

So Corey you have never seen Flashpoint? Great show and all but this new season is on Netflix. She looks great too

7. Jim
    11:06 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

Bud Selig: Sam Holbrook you really screwed up tonight.
    Sam Holbrook: I know, I choked. That was a bush league call.
    Bud Selig: Why didn’t you reverse it, it was obvious you were wrong?
    Sam Holbrook: Because umpires never admit when we are wrong, even if we are
    Bud Selig: Well, you caused a mess in Atlanta. Hell, we look as bad as the NFL.
    Sam Holbrook: Don’t talk to me like that. You can speak to my union steward.
    Bud Selig: You need to turn in your resignation, this time for real. Go back to umpiring the Southland Little League.
    Sam Holbrook: You can’t fire me, I am union. Just like a Supreme Court Justice, I have this job for life – no matter how much I stink.
    Bud Selig: We’ll see, I will lock you out and hire replacement umpires.
    Sam Holbrook: Ok, I missed the call. Are you satisfied? The Braves need to get over it.
    Bud Selig: It was my stupid idea to have a one game playoff and you ruined it. Get a life!

8. Isaac in Long Beach
    11:10 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

The “17st, 24rd, and 31th” thing actually made me laugh out loud. Nice one.

9. Tonydelksarms
    11:14 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

Sam Holbrook is from morehead

10. JBR
    11:26 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

Horse racing sucks. It is not a sport, well, except for the horses…and it is basically an excuse for wealthy people to go out and strut around for all the common folk. I get it, it is tradition….but pretty lame, really.

11. DaveUK
    11:28 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

If Corey really liked Amy Jo, he would not only know she was on Flashpoint for 4 years, but also spent 4 years on Felicity among more than half a dozen other shows, and she returned to star in Power Rangers movies twice (they made two of them – I have kids, don’t judge me.) Not a big deal but his lack of basic research annoys me I guess. He fills the BTI role nicely.

12. Claw
    11:44 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

Your writing has improved dramatically lately. Really enjoying your posts. Mean that truthfully.

13. mashburnfan1
    11:48 pm October 5, 2012 Permalink

I put the odds of UK winning vs MSU at .282% not the above listing of 28.2%. Still a good week as we got the twins with young and randle to follow soon. Plus UK BBALL is a week away.

14. Big Poppa
    12:19 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

#9 yes, he is and was a decent basketball player back in the day.

15. rainingblood
    12:25 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

who are the hot chicks?

16. Cals assistant??
    1:06 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

Yea, who is the chick in the picture of the coaching staff?

17. Zoso
    1:19 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

The pink ranger is 41? Ouch! Right in the childhood.

18. Kev
    1:51 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

Looks like the Obama pic when they were getting Bin Laden

19. chief
    1:51 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

Does ESPN have a time scheduled? I’m hoping i don’t have to watch on my phone while at the blue/white game on the twenty-ford.

20. T. Ruble
    7:26 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

This ESPN All Access will cause problems for KENTUCKY.

21. Labowski
    8:09 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

First off, don’t knock horse racing just because u don’t understand it. Secondly, what’s with every KSR writer being addicted to either Glee, Harry Potter, Power Rangers, or desperate house wives? Is it time we all have a come to Jesus meeting and have your man cards revoked.

22. tdogg40330
    8:22 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

21) how ya figure??

23. Dave in Bangkok
    8:37 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

Why do you follow UK Football?

Pls participate in this poll.

Thanks!

24. Blue Ranger
    8:52 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

My Girl Amy Jo is 42!

25. Tom48cat
    8:54 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

With Whitlow and Towles at qb how come we have not tried Newton at tight end . He was supposed to be one of our better athletes on the team . He didn’t work out at qb but it dont mean he can’t play . He’s a big boy probly hard to take down after the catch In The secondary

26. Superfly
    8:56 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

#16 – I say we start referring to her as “The Madame”

27. Bge1234
    9:09 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

this guy is painful!!!!!

28. finally fast.com
    9:35 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

Whenever I see someone list a score with the losing (lowest) score first, like ‘the Cats losing 15-24,’ I always think that the person doesn’t know much about sports. Maybe it’s just me.

29. schwing
    10:35 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

IIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?

seriously, why can’t anyone answer that?

30. John Tummelson
    10:54 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

So you say you are a fan of Keeneland and then say the meet lasts 2 months? Hope that was just a typo.

31. catlogic15
    11:28 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

#31 beat me too it. Unless you’re throwing the spring meet in, get the facts straight. A lot of that stuff goes on here.

32. Red Power Ranger
    11:43 am October 6, 2012 Permalink

She’s 42 years old. Try this next time you write -> http://www.google.com/

33. Kentucky Insider
    2:09 pm October 6, 2012 Permalink

#30…The hot chick everyone is talking about is Maggie Gyllenhall. Her and Cal’s wife are huge friends and she helped Mrs. Calipari with many charities and community work in Memphis. She is also a wonderful actress for the record and has played in a number of movies including Batman. Check her out http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0350454/

34. Kentucky Insider
    2:12 pm October 6, 2012 Permalink

If you like her in the situation room you will like her in the movie Secretary … year 2002 … her best performance IMHO yet!

35. Sean Jones
    10:23 pm October 6, 2012 Permalink

Amy Jo Johnson was born is 1970 which means she is 42. Wow, way to be good at math, morons.

36. HUH?
    10:55 am October 7, 2012 Permalink

#34 Did she also help remove Cals Banner from Memphis rafters??