All I want for Christmas is…

santa list

The always entertaining Oscar Combs posed the hypothetical question on Twitter earlier in the week: What Kentucky fans would most want in 2012 with one Christmas wish.

ocsardb

I think that’s a little too obvious (we take banner No. 8, right?), so I’ll up the ante. This time, you have to give something to get something. Understand what you get would be a guarantee, and what you lose is also guaranteed. Would you be willing to sacrifice for a major accomplishment in 2012?

Hanging banner No. 8 sacrifices a lot. This means you have to endure taunting in basketball for the short term, with guaranteed losses coming to Louisville, Tennessee, North Carolina, etc. and a train wreck of a football season. Not only do you lose recruits in football — making the progress Rich Brooks built seem like a lifetime ago — but the divide between Joker and the fans grows wider. Take a title for a god awful football season and loss of bragging rights?

A huge season for the Cats sends them to a BCS bowl. Confidence in Joker and the team is restored and a new winning tradition in Kentucky football begins. But the basketball program takes a hit. A struggling season — think Billy Clyde, but worse — puts Kentucky near the bottom of the SEC, which results in a bubble team… For the NIT. Calipari’s top recruits become disinterested, meaning there are more significant long-term effects on the basketball program. Take a revitalized football program for a fading basketball season?

You have guaranteed bragging rights in the state. How about that feeling of total dominance again? Consider the current state of the football teams in Louisville and Lexington; it seems Charlie Strong has the Cardinals on the rebound, while plenty of question marks surround Joker and his staff. Do you want to risk another loss on the gridiron? With this wish, the basketball team has no trouble making the tournament, but late-season struggles have the team reeling. Talent level is still there, but a long, hard road to the Final Four lies ahead. Take dominance over little brother for a possible early exit in March?

One streak already ended, now we can end another in 2012 and begin a streak of our own. Tennessee and Florida both fall to the Cats en route to a surprisingly good season, given the results a season ago. Kentucky’s football program is on the rise while Tennessee and Florida seem to be sinking. But it’s a different story on the hardwood. Kentucky fans hang their hat on success on the court, but four losses are notched up to the Vols and Gators. And say bye-bye to that Rupp Arena winning streak. Take wins against Tennessee and Florida for losses in basketball?

So let’s see where your priorities lie? Is it still solely on basketball like me? If I had one Christmas wish for the Cats in 2012 it’s bringing home the title in New Orleans. I can’t imagine the feeling. I was only nine years old when the Cats won in ’98, and while I remember, I wasn’t emotionally attached like I am now. I would give almost anything to see the Cats win it all while I’m a student.

Merry Christmas. Go Cats.

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

72 Comments for All I want for Christmas is…

1. Don't Be Jealous
    10:38 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

National title in basketball hands down. Anyone who votes otherwise isn’t a fan.

2. KidCody
    10:41 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

I’d start Michael J Fox as QB if it meant we got that eighth banner.

3. Biglaw Dawgin'
    10:47 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

Hey Oscar, you’re about 10,000 tweets in, it’s about time to get rid of that egg as your profile.

4. rv
    10:49 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

still take the basketball title. noone will remember regular season losses, don’t care that much about football anyways.

5. beepthacreep
    10:50 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

id give up the whole football program for number 8, because we arent a real player in football anyway. i root for the bengals and uk basketball everything else just passes time

6. Biglaw Dawgin'
    10:52 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

I’d agree with 1 and say the national championship is a no-brainer. Our football team is already a train wreck, so losses there won’t really upset most people. I don’t care if the cat’s go 18-13 and squeeze into the tourney as a 15-seed, as long as they rattle off those 6 wins in a row in the tourney, it’s all worth it.

7. Hero
    10:53 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

Well…it certianly is possible to lose every game next year in football with the schedule we have! So if that translates into #8…so be it!

8. jonathan
    10:54 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

No brainer here…give me the SEC East f’ball crown and we can struggle all season in b’ball. Last I checked we’ve had plenty of the opposite so it would be nice to enjoy a f’ball season for a change. After all, we had a couple bad years with Gillespie and we survived, right? Hell, we struggled last season in basketball and still made the Final Four, go figure.

9. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    10:56 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

I would give up KSR for a year if we can hang #8 or I would move to Mexico and open a comedy.

10. ukfan
    10:56 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

you left out a commitment from Shabazz Muhammed on this list.

11. Transy Clay
    11:00 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

Hang #8. A winless football season would be terrible, but at the rate we are losing committments, not much can be said right now of next summer. Blue Nation could bask in the glory of hanging #8 all year. Face it, when football comes, we will still be saying, wait till basketball season.

12. ukfan
    11:00 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

Getting a commitment from Shabazz Muhammed.. in exchange for a returning Marquis Teague.

13. RP_McMurphy
    11:00 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

The Fried Chicken Bucket Center to burn to the ground. I haven’t determined yet if I want it occupied or unoccupied with Cardinal fans.

14. James
    11:01 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

National Championship shuts everyone up no matter who beats you in the regular season. I agree. No brainer.

15. phil
    11:01 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

1) When you say anyone who votes otherwise isn’t a fan what do you mean? A fan of what? Basketball? Well, since the question basically pits basketball versus football maybe someone would vote the other way because they’re a football fan, is that not plausible? Does that make them less of a UK fan because they enjoy f’ball more so basketball? If you prefer basketball fine, but don’t call someone’s fandom into question simply because they like different sports than you do.

16. Michael Kidd-Langford
    11:03 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

Yeah, like what most people are saying, I’m going with hanging #8 at the cost of losses to rivals. I’ll happily take a beating from KSR trolls during the regular season if I can watch the Cats in the final shot of One Shining Moment. Nice entry, Stuart.

17. Henegg
    11:04 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

I would sacrifice missing the NCAA basketball tourney, to have a run at the BCS in football just one time.

18. ukfan
    11:05 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

17. you’re the only one.

19. Mac
    11:07 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

I’d give 1 year of probation in fb in exchange for BCS championship game or a SugarBowl victory. Hell make it 2 years.

20. UK Wildcat
    11:10 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

I’d sell football down the river for a basketball championship any day of the week. I’ll take the losses to rivals and the championship (wins over Louisville feel good, championships feel better), I’d never exchange an SEC East 1st place finish in football for a poor basketball season, no way would I take a 7 seed with victories over Louisville as opposed to a 2-3 seed with a loss to Louisville, and who the hell cares about win streaks against Tennessee and Florida in football if we lose in basketball?

21. GoCats2
    11:10 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

Good answers everyone except #17. Giving up KSR for a year for a title? done. Michael J. Fox as starting quarterback for a year? Okay. Try this one… Bobby Knight as honorary assistant coach for the tournament. Would you allow that if it meant Title #8? Yes I would.

22. tommy
    11:11 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

18) no he’s not, i’d take that in a heartbeat. and all of you basketball-centric fans need to understand that even in this state some people actually value football above basketball, like most of the other 49 states do.

23. billy25
    11:13 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

give me football or give me death…screw basketball, they’ve had their day in the sun. let’s focus on the sport that actually matters and that pays for everything else!

24. Chris
    11:14 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

I would sacrifice my three children on Calipari’s doorstep for a championship.

I don’t actually have children.

25. wildcat+don
    11:15 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

put bball on probation for 2 yrs in exchange for winning BCS title!!!…hell, Cal isn’t putting up a banner anytime soon with all these one and done’s anyway!

26. KidCody
    11:18 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

I’d let my kid go to a sleepover at the Sandusky house if it meant a championship.

27. arizonacat
    11:18 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

go winless in bball in exchange for hiring a big-name coach, going undefeated and winning SEC and BCS title in football…oh how sweet that would be…by the time i came down from that high bball would be over and it would be time for spring football!!!

28. Hunter
    11:20 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

I would sacrifice 1 teste and my grandma for #8. Yeah I said it.

29. Another Perspective
    11:23 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

DEAL — National Championship in basketball… in exchange for a winless football season and losses to rivals in basketball.

NO DEAL — SEC East championship in football… in exchange for a struggling season in basketball.

NO DEAL — Beat Louisville in football and basketball… in exchange for limping into March Madness as a 7-seed.

DEAL — Starting a new winning streak against Tennessee and Florida in football… in exchange for losses in basketball.

30. Witch Doctor
    11:24 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

We the student athletes of the UK football team thank you. This is a great idea just before Christmas. I’m sure the players that have committed will enjoy being shown this blog by revial schools. By the way, those tire marks are the result of being thrown under the bus. Thanks BBN and KSR.

31. wildcatfan11
    11:24 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

i just want to win all the time! im all for hanging #8 but im not gving away nothing. im not satisfied with losing at football or basketball. we are uk!

32. ThankfulCat
    11:27 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

The people saying win the national title at the expense of the football program winning anything are the exact reason why the football program is a joke.

You win at everything you attempt or don’t field a team.

Merry Christmas

33. jokerswild
    11:30 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

32) ditto, my sentiments exactly…if you’re a basketball fan than cheer them on all you want, but not at the expense of my football team…i don’t care if you have no interest in f’ball, some of us do, and some of us have no interest in basketball (gasp)…get over it…GO CATS!!! (in all sports)

34. double D-fence
    11:32 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

National Championship in basketball… in exchange for a winless football season and losses to rivals in basketball ANY DAY OF THE WEEK

35. Young Adults
    11:32 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

New arena and stadium intead of ones from the 70s? A historic race track that is part of the triple crown not some place I go to play cornhole instead of bet. An international airport instead of a corn field. A vibrant night life and club scene not a few bars that look like a scooby doo ghost town.

36. Catsantonio
    11:34 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

None of these scenarios will happen so it’s dumb to even talk about. Come up with something realistic then we can discuss.

37. gocats
    11:36 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

24) If it weren’t for basketball, UK probably wouldn’t be in a BCS conference. The football program pays for everything becuase UK basketball allows it to be in the SEC, only the nation’s best football conference. It’s not UK’s football program itself (because we aren’t good), but the affiliation with the SEC that’s bringing in all the cash.

38. fb>bb
    11:38 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

I would sacrifice anything in basketball for success in football. Bottom line is no one outside KY cares about basketball. Football is all that matters.

39. caliparicat
    11:42 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

24) wrong…do you not realize how insignificant basketball is to the SEC when it comes to what matters…money? it’s completely irrelevant. so you’re opinion is that the SEC would vote us out because we’re bad at football (if we had a bad bball team)? nonsense. i guess they’d have to vote mississippi and mississippi st. out as well b/c last time i checked they’re awful to mediocre at bball and are certainly no football powers either. fail.

40. nolablue
    11:43 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

#17– Yes, you’re the only one.

We Cayts fans in New Orleans are puttin’ the good gris gris on The Dome every time we pass it.
    Why assume we have to give ANYTHING away? Cream the Dirty Birds! Go into the FF with
    a top seed and WIN THE WHOLE THANG!!!

GO CATS!!!

41. caliparicat
    11:44 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

38)wrong…do you not realize how insignificant basketball is to the SEC when it comes to what matters…money? it’s completely irrelevant. so you’re opinion is that the SEC would vote us out because we’re bad at football (if we had a bad bball team)? nonsense. i guess they’d have to vote mississippi and mississippi st. out as well b/c last time i checked they’re awful to mediocre at bball and are certainly no football powers either. fail.

42. HuntsVegas
    11:48 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

43. Hardline Charlie
    11:48 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

Best alternative for a football fan from Kentucky- the NFL. Pick a team.

44. Matt in Franklin
    11:52 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

I’m with #39—Screw basketball…I would ten times rather see Bray from TN squished on the field than see Davis dunk over another patsy…

45. Chris
    11:54 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

#13 You are the biggest piece of sh*t to ever walk this earth. Do everyone a favor and off yourself.

46. ppatt for prez
    11:54 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

38) wow, “the football program pays for everything because UK basketball allows it to be in the SEC”…just let that nugget sink in. I can’t begin to express how overwhelmingly fatuous that statement is, once of course you cut through all the arrogance and the perceived superiority of the typical basketball-centric UK fan. When will you people realize that outside of this state no one cares about basketball and even when UK is losing in bball it doesn’t effect the bottom line, the same can’t be said for football. Please come down off your high-horse and deal with it.

47. nolablue
    11:54 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

Well, I live in the heart of SEC football country, and I’m sorry to disappoint y’all, but people down here DO care about hoops. A LOT.
    When I wear my UK gear out, people all the time stop and chat hoops with me, and they do it with great reverence and respect.
    Don’t think they don’t wish they had UK’s hoops record, and don’t think they don’t work toward it. Why do y’all have to
    see everything as “either or”. It’s a completely ridiculous and false statement to say that “Hoops don’t matter in the SEC”.
    Tell that to a Bama fan. You ever seen/heard their home game against UK? It’s crazy! Just hearing them all chant
    “ROLLLLLLLLLLLLL” in unison can give a sentient person goosebumps. All SEC hoops fans are proud of their schools
    and can tell you which NBA players came from their schools. They’re all VERY aware of UK’s hoops excellence, and
    for them, every hoops game against UK is their Superbowl of Basketball. You people who think hoops don’t
    matter in the SEC, need to get out more!

Speaking of the ‘Tards, Saints fans have some “Dirty Birds” of their own up in Atlanta, which they’ll be playin’ this Monday Night.
    Honoring this, NOLA.com has a story on how to make “Dirty Bird Seed” to prepare for the game. I thought y’all might
    dig havin’ the recipe!

Dirty Bird Seed

3 cups Rice Chex

2 cups Cheerios

2 cups mini pretzels

1 cup (or more) dry roasted peanuts

1 egg white

1/2 cup Splenda (or sweetener of choice equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar)

1 tablespoon Worchestershire Sauce

1/2 teaspoon caynene

In a large bowl, mix cereal, pretzels and nuts. In small bowl, whisk 1 egg white and Splenda, Worchestershire and cayenne.

Pour wet ingredients into dry. Mix well. Spread on greased rimmed cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Stir and bake another 10 minutes or until Cheerios shrink and turn brown.

If storing, cool completely. Then, place in an airtight container.

From: http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2011/12/learn_to_make_dirty_bird_seed.html

48. hollabackcat
    11:57 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

41) no he’s not…leave my fball cats alone and please keep your “gris gris” (whatever the hell that is) to yourself.

49. bornblue
    11:59 am December 23, 2011 Permalink

It always has been and always will be about Basketball and the desire to hang number 8 and beyond. We’ve never really had it in football, so why give up what we love and have for something we are used to not having!

50. Jim
    12:09 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

Number 8 all day long.

51. i'm just sayin
    12:12 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

I’d take a run at a BCS bowl game in a heartbeat… that would truly be a once in a lifetime event!!

52. Justin G.
    12:14 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

This is way tooooo easy! National Title all the way! That is bragging rights enough.

53. Mark Wilson
    12:18 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

NATIONAL TITLE OR BUST !!!!!!

54. Jeremy
    12:22 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

I would gladly take a horrible season in basketball in exchange for seeing UK play for the SEC title in the Dome. I would actually give up much more basketball-wise to see that happen.

55. The Dutch
    12:32 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

I would take the death penalty for the bball program to win the SEC East. Seriously, close the whole thing down, shut the doors, turn off the lights, and give me an SEC East title.

56. RD
    12:36 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

#8

57. MattP
    12:40 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

I know that it’s not the popular choice but I would swap basketball’s history in exchange for the football history. Basically, let us be a dominant fb program and a mid tier basketball program.

58. MattP
    12:40 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

59. Simple
    12:41 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

I’m startled not so much at the support for football as much as the placement of that support over basketball. A “run in BCS” over a friggin’ national championship in basketball? Am I missing something?

60. Simple
    12:43 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

This is getting silly. This has to be the same two or three people posting over and over again under different names. The death penalty in basketball to win a conference title in football? I’m not deeply confused. This is Kentucky, yes?

61. Don
    12:59 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

We are a basketball school. Period

Louisville fans all around me – today, for some reason, they are running it more than usual. I got plenty of, “hey Don, we’re going to kill you guys”, and even one that said we will be their “easiet game of the year so far”…

I hate the TARDINAL fans.

62. Lovely
    1:02 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

I want #8. I’m graduating, and I’d like to see it as a student, when I can actually afford the tickets. However, winning it as a 7 seed doesn’t sound so bad. The talent would still be there, and we’ve seen teams get their heads together just in time for March. It would be a Butler style run, which would be okay.

Still, I’d rather have the guaranteed #8.

63. footballfan
    1:33 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

18,,, no he is not. Win a title in a man’s game or hold up a trophy as champion of a communist sport,,,I’ll take the football crown any day

64. cdc_uky
    2:32 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

The biggest reason our football program stays just under decent is because KY produces very little talent. We have good runs every now and then (always when a local kid sticks around…like the QB on his way from Highlands). The same can be said for basketball talent except our rich history/tradition can lure the best recruiting coach in the country. We cannot land a big name coach to do the same in football because no one will come here. So enough blasting of basketball…you are a fan of the wrong school.

65. Ghostofbearbryant
    2:35 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

I just wish we had an AD and admin that gave a rats a$$ about football

66. Darius
    3:11 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

I would take a nay championship in football over basketball anyday

67. Me
    3:14 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

If Joker and Mitch don’t give a rat turd about football, why should we?

Soooo, the answer is WIN # 8, and let football lose all its games or turn the lights out at commonwealth, no difference…

68. Real Cats Fan
    3:43 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

We are WAAAAYYYY overdue for another basketball title, and we are used to sucking in football anyway, so what the hey. I don’t know if UK fans would know how to act if we won a FB national championship – doubt if we’ll ever have to worry about it. As far as losing to UL in exchange for the BB championship, I’ll take it, because they’ll flap their gums no matter how bad we beat them in basketball.

69. thenamerobdigity
    6:27 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

My wish would be win the national championship in every sport.

70. ukfan1
    9:45 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

BEAT LOUISVILLE!!!! BEAT LOUISVILLE!!!

71. ukfan1
    9:46 pm December 23, 2011 Permalink

beat ul

72. Bledsoe's Biceps
    9:03 am December 24, 2011 Permalink

We’re talking just participate in a BCS bowl vs a National Championship in basketball. Are you kidding me? In 5-10 years no one remembers the teams that simply played in a BCS bowl unless it is the team that wins the championship. You NEVER trade a national title in basketball for just going to the dance in football.