Alex Rodriguez’s Thursday News and Views

Good morning, my friends.  It is upon us.  In just a few hours, our beloved Kentucky Wildcats will lace ’em up and do battle with the champions in the Ivy League and kick off the thirteenth season of our favorite television program, “The Quest For Eight”.  Thanks to a six-game flurry to end the season, optimism seems to be abundant and the big names are getting on board.  Just this week, Stewart Mandel, Bob Ryan, Josh Hopkins and Tracy McGrady all threw their support behind the Cats.  A new name entered the mix Wednesday, though, as Yankee third baseman Alex Rodriguez stopped by UK’s practice.  Rodriguez’s appearance was a surprise to Coach Cal, who Tweeted out afterward that he didn’t know he was there and didn’t get to speak with him.  The man who ruined baseball (my words, not Cal’s) is famously known as a Duke fan, so his stop at Kentucky’s practice seemed a bit strange.  But, if you’ve seen pictures of his ex-wife, you know all too well why he was there.  He has a crush on Jarrod Polson.  It’s not really my style and it may not be yours, but he’s another big name to associate with the ever-expanding brand of Kentucky basketball and, for that alone, we’ll give him a shoutout this morning.  Here’s to you, Alex Rodriguez.  May your fanhood finally come around to the good side and may your baseball club suffer immeasurable misery this season.  And may you leave our sweet little Jarrod alone.

Now onto a few UK notes…

– As Kentucky gets set to kick off their quest for a national championship, the frustration with where they were seeded seems to be subsiding.  If you listen to the team, though, it was never really an issue.  Darius Miller said Wednesday that the Cats got over it the same day and that they weren’t concerned with where they were seeded, only beating the teams that they’ll face.  It sounded like an echo to the sentiment that Coach Cal shared earlier in the week and reiterated in Tampa.  Privately, though, you have to believe that the Cats are going to be playing with a chip on their shoulder and, to be honest, that’s not necessarily anything new.  Kentucky has displayed a bit of a mean streak in the last six games and rose from looking at an SEC Tournament bye from the outside to a convincing winner of the conference tournament.  The seeding might not be the reason for them to play hungry and angry, but it’s very likely another reason to do so.  Coach Cal has been successful at his previous stops in playing up the “underdog” card and the opportunity to do that at a program like Kentucky will likely be few and far between.  This is one such instance.  They can say all the right things publicly, but I’d be shocked if he wasn’t challenging them to show how wrong the committee was for disrespecting them.

– There was a little bit of good news Wednesday night for those of you who were still concerned a bit about Doron Lamb’s ankle.  Lamb said he’s 90-95% and should be ready to play against Princeton Thursday.  Though you wouldn’t know it from the open practice, where I spent more time running in the stands after Baby Boogie than any of the players did on the court, Lamb said he can jump and make moves with no problem and practiced without even having it wrapped.  Get your goggles ready.

– One interesting note from Coach Cal’s time with the media Wednesday morning was his acknowledgement that the team has not watched any film on Princeton.  That’s the normal routine for the Cats, who will see some video during the pre-game meal, and Cal has mentioned it before, but it’s still an interesting approach.  The Cats don’t even get a scouting report.  Instead of film, the players go over a few sets in practice, but spend the majority of the time focusing on practicing what Calipari wants them to be doing in the games.  According to the coach, he’s only worried about his team.  It’s an approach that seems to work, but does offer the somewhat amusing responses of “I haven’t got to see too much of them, so I don’t know” (Darius Miller) and “I really don’t know much about them, but they’ve got to be pretty good to win their league and be in the NCAA Tournament” (Josh Harrellson).

– In case you missed it earlier, the world was shocked by the news that Enes Kanter cries sometimes.  In his defense, it’s only when the Cats play, which is understandable considering the circumstances (I cry when I think about it too).  Look at what you’ve done, Mark Emmert.  I hope you’re happy.

– With all of the fun getting going in Tampa, the exact opposite seems to be going down in Knoxville where Bruce Pearl now appears to be on the way out after Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton said he didn’t know if Pearl would be the coach next year and that the decision would be made after the season ends.  He hinted that the school might not wait until they go before the NCAA Committee on Infractions in June.  The apparent 180 on Pearl’s situation seems to imply the worst is a very real possibility for the current Tennessee coach and, according to the Knoxville News Sentinel, Pearl said he was caught off guard by Hamilton’s comments but did not want to discuss it.  BRING BILLY GILLISPIE TO TENNESSEE!

– Or not.  Months of rumors regardin Clyde possibly heading to Lubbock took a step toward becoming a reality Wednesday when Texas Tech officials confirmed that Gillispie and Red Raiders athletic director Kirby Hocutt met in Florida to discuss the job.  Reports say that the meeting went very well and most expect Clyde to get the nod.  No official announcement will be made until next week.

That’s it for now.  Make sure you stick around all day as we finish your cram session for Princeton and then Live Blog at 2:15.  This is the start of something very beautiful.  Let’s do it together.  See you in a few…

Article written by Thomas Beisner

54 Comments for Alex Rodriguez’s Thursday News and Views

1. bung
    11:26 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Patterson started tonight and had a dbl dbl

2. Jman3715
    11:26 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Not baseball again! Uggghhh

3. WildCobb Salad
    11:49 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

a rod’s about as unlikable an athlete as there is.

4. uksbiggestfan
    11:51 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

I assume it wasn’t on purpose, but I would say “regardin” fits talking about Gillispie just fine

5. AKA cold buckets
    12:10 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

ARod is the last person that I want associated with UK basketball. Biggest douche in the world. He seems like more of a Dook guy anyway

6. AKA cold buckets
    12:12 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

and I just now realized why they matched us up with WVU again. They want us to have to play against WVU’s little Turkish center, while ours (who is infinitely better) sits on the bench. Choke on a big one, Emmert!

7. John a logan
    12:19 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Stan simspon wants UK fans to follow him on twitter he wants 2500 by tomorrow he has around 1900 now let’s help him out and show him Wht we can do and I guarantee he will be a cat next year!

8. Jim
    12:26 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Will someone tell me that Cal is lying when he says the team isn’t given scouting reports on their opponent.

That’s retarded. Obviously Cal gets most things right but I can’t understand this. The kids aren’t stupid.

By the way Cal…do you think that the other team doesn’t know that Terrence Jones only wants to go left?

9. GoCats2
    12:34 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

#1 No love for Hayes? 9 points 17 rebounds 7 assists!! Great game for the UK frontcourt!
    Also Meeks is going off on the fighting Bledsoe’s, he has 19 thru 3 quarters with 4 threes.

10. SDGoldWinger
    1:00 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

I see the Pac-10 is holding true to form with USC losing to VCU. I have no Pac-10 team getting past the second round. How about you?

11. GoCats2
    1:09 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Some foreshadowing for a possible UK-OSU match-up in the sweet sixteen 22 points for Meeks Zero points for Evan Turner.

12. drewsster02
    2:09 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

I honestly hope Billy G. gets a shot… no pun intended.

13. UKGOBIGBLUE
    2:35 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Not watching game film is disturbing; explains why they weren’t ready for WV 1-3-1 defense last year. Hope they start watching game film soon !!

14. Mountain Blue
    3:03 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

13. It wouldn’t have mattered anyway, Huggy acknowledged latter that his team had rarely if ever ran that type of zone. I think what Cal does mostly is play straight up man to man that doesn’t take too many risks, while using our athleticism, length, and speed to make it hard on the opposing off.
    He doesn’t have to spend too much time on def., so he can spend more time perfecting our offensive sets.

15. Band Of BlueCats
    3:24 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Not UK Related but expect USC to fire Kevin O’neil in about a week. He needed to win to save his job after the incident at Pac 10 tourney. Could set off a domino effect of coaches leaving for other jobs and recruits being back on the board. It will be a very wanted job this time around.

16. Band Of BlueCats
    3:37 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Kevin O’Neil is gonna be out at USC. It will be a very wanted job this time around and will set off coaches switching conferences and recruits opening up.

17. Band Of BlueCats
    3:39 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Kevin O’neil will be out at USC within a week.

18. Band Of BlueCats
    3:42 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Also Kennedy may be out at Ole Miss after first round NIT loss.

19. Tshirt
    6:17 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

tiger blood will be spilled on the court today

20. RidgeRunner
    6:23 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Yes….I love the smell of UK Basketball this time of the year! A mean ole wildcat from the hills of Ken-tuck, is gonna spank that Tiger butt from the educated north today.

21. RidgeRunner
    6:24 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

—sorry my hillbilly southern-self came out in that post.

OK…I’m back now. umm-umm…

22. JeffCat
    7:04 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Billy Clyde, a Vol? Just one more excuse to hate Tennessee. I hope it happens if only to give Darius a chance to go flying into the Tennessee bench after a loose ball with his fist sticking right in Billy Clyde’s eye.

23. kentuckyjoe
    7:10 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Beis, how do you give a shout out to A-Rod and also say he’s the guy that ruined baseball in the same paragraph? He stopped by our practice; why should that make you trash him. And this hard on the heels of you trashing Dayton. Is this necessary? Maybe it’s your idea of humor but it sure isn’t mine. Be more like Matt.

24. SexnNursinHomes
    7:11 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

A-Roids, keep that HGH away from our boys. Beis is right. you ruined baseball. He was probably trying to get UK to pay part of his new 10 year 3.6 trillion dollar deal.

Him walkin around proud that he shagged a near 60 yr old Madonna. you know that vagina looks like it’s been hit by a Mack truck

25. John Calipari
    7:20 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Why didn’t my team know Joe Mazula was left handed last year? How was it possible for that scrub to dominate Wall? Also, WVU ran the 1-3-1 a bunch last year. He mostly ran it at the end of close games. Had I not been too lazy to watch game film, I would have known all of this. Instead of watching film on Princeton, I’m getting ready to hit another buffet.

26. SexnNursinHomes
    7:22 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

23- who cares about Dayton? they suck. glad Beis has to make his posts to suit your tastes. Criticizing people’s posts may be your idea of expressing your dislike, but it sure isn’t mine. Be more like Roger Ebert.

27. test
    7:28 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

test

28. RidgeRunner
    7:32 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

All the Red Raider players coming back next year are probably huddled together right now, shaking a bit. Lets listen in…k?

OK, make sure the bathroom door doesn’t lock, -check.
    Who is up first for “alcohol-bottle-check” in coachs desk drawers? remember, we need two. 1)To be look out & 2)To do the actual search!
    Who has the hidden camera in their shorts while we are in the locker room?

—alright….we can get through this….ready….BREAK!

29. bung
    7:32 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

I hope we get out on the break some, score 0ver 80 and Win!
    Go Wildcats!!!

30. RidgeRunner
    7:34 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

29…-I hear ya. And I want that same intensity we had down in Atlanta as well.

31. bung
    7:39 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

30 Yep….intense D…and I hate to see UK walk the ball up after a defensive rebound…I feel we leave points on the table if we dont try and beat the defense back for an easy one before we run the halfcourt set.

32. bung
    7:41 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Cal just said that after 5 months he decided he had a speed team…..maybe this when it starts.

33. RidgeRunner
    7:42 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

-good point and especially against a slower Princeton team that will really be exposed by the second half. We should have that opportunity often.

34. reedwizard
    7:44 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

totally insane to not watch film. How else do the players see tendencies? Knowing that, Deandre Liggins defense is even more phenomenal! All the guys locking players down that they haven’t seen much? Nearly impossible. Again, I completely disagree with Cal on this one.

35. RidgeRunner
    7:53 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

34..I see what your saying but to be totally honest, how many guys really think about a characteristic or tendencies in the heat of the battle in basketball? I mean, seriously. You guard your player and help out if the play calls for it. On offense, you run your sets if called to do so and either you execute or not.

But yeah…with the fast pace of a game and player movement..intense defense on any player works and even if you have watched fil a kazillion times…I don’t see you really doing that much different. If it’s a trait the opposing player does often, I think we can trust coach Cal to let his team know that film or no film.

36. RidgeRunner
    7:54 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

film* in second paragraph…oops.

37. Some Guy in Kentucky
    7:58 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

CBS is going to show the UK game live in Louisville on the CBS channel(32), and the UL game on TBS. I guess Matt is using his CBS pull for “Big Brother” in Louisville.

38. cracka
    8:10 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

http://twitter.com/#!/Stan_Simpson wants uk followers … he is already following boogie, wall, bledsoe, t jones and d miller himself

39. Rick Pitino
    8:28 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

I coach at a ghetto commuter school. L yes. We have not won crap since 1986 when prop 48 retards were on the bench. L yes. Us ghetto trash are owned by UK. L yes. Maybe if I spent more time coaching than bagging bimbos on restaurant tables and paying for abortions we would b relevant. L yes.

40. Rick Pitino
    8:32 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

I love to cheat on my wife. L yes. It’s the ghetto way. L yes.

41. I can't see the comments
    8:32 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Calm down people…

Robic watches film. Then he just tells Cal what to prepare for. The players not watching film doesn’t mean they’re not ready for what’s coming.

That being said, I’d rather have them watch at least a one hour tape of the main tendencies of the opposing team. It’s not necessary to watch hours of film though.

2.45pm yaaaay I hate late games…

42. Popcorn
    8:49 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

I’m ready, I just need somebody to feed me to A-Rod.

43. Tshirt
    8:56 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

44. BlueJ
    8:57 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

I really disagree with not watching film. “If you know your enemy and know yourself you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.” by Sun Tzu

45. NKYCatFan
    9:02 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Did y’all see PPat’s alley-oop slam on SportsCenter? Oh my!

46. Blue Blood
    9:02 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

BIG BLUE NATION taking over Tampa “UK” Bay. And A-Rod is a beast. GO YANKS!

47. The Source
    9:03 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Yeah, Cal has proven he has no clue in how to prepare a team for a game.

48. bluesince66
    9:06 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

I don’t think it said Cal and the coaches don’t watch film. It said the players don’t watch much film.

49. bmac
    9:20 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

not watching film didn’t keep the cats from knowing anything about west virginia’s zone last year…wait

50. RidgeRunner
    9:24 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

47…LOL

51. 7 and Counting!!!
    9:53 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

It’s time to shine Cats. Take the mindset to not lose and that beating teams down is what you do best!! Go CATS!!!!

52. Carl
    9:54 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

#49 it wasn’t the zone that beat UK it was the missed shots. If anything they should have watched film on good shooters.

I don’t believe many college players know how to breal down film and develop a scouting report. That’s why Cal has assistants.

53. Blueburg
    10:19 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

At least Arod was man enough to voluntarily come forward and publically admit what he did and that it was wrong. He’s not my favorie athlete,but at least he did that. You can’t tell me our players weren’t excited to hear that an athlete the caliber of Arod coming to their practice didn’t excite them. Besides, the last 6 out of the 7 national titles we’ve won were within in the same exact years that the Yankees won 6 out of 27 of their World Series championships. So whenever we win #8 there will be an 85.7% chance the Yankees will win the World Series that same year. So Go Cats and Go Yankees!

54. CatBlue in LR
    11:13 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

“As Kentucky gets set to kick off their quest…” You don’t KICK off a ball ball to get a basketball game started, you TIP it off, for chrissakes. I know the goobers down here in football countryhave trouble with this, but now it seems everybody does! I even heard Greg Gumble say the tournament got KICKED OFF with UALR and Asheville. No, it got TIPPED OFF. Please!