Alex Poythress Killing It This Season

poythressjams

Poythress slams it home, via Robert Smith of the Leaf-Chronicle (and not of The Cure)

It’s my birthday and I’m stuck studying for finals still, so I’m going to keep this on a simple and happy topic – elite recuits.  Is it possible that Alex Poythress is better than advertised? It’s quite hard to imagine a Calipari recruit being underrated considering they’re almost always 5-star kids, but the KSR Magic 8-Ball says, “As I see it, yes.”  We’ve all heard about Matt’s mancrush on Poythress and Calipari’s burning desire for this recruit, and it looks like they were both very justified in their love.  Alex is absolutely killing it so far this Fall.  Let’s take a look at how Alex’s high school season is going…

– At the moment, his Northeast (Clarksville, TN) Eagles are 9-0 and leading their district-conference-thingy.  If you check out the video below, you’ll see that Alex notices the blue that seems to appear at all of his games now.  It’s not hard for the mist to show up once you sign with the Cats, especially in you’re in nearby Tenneessee.

– Alex is averaging 29 points, 13.8 rebounds, and 6.5 blocks per game.  If you’re a hater, you may be thinking, “Well, duh.  Any 5-star recruit should average those numbers.  Well, when I was in high school, I put up those numbers all the time.”  1) No, you didn’t and 2) Alex is dominating without even having to play full games and his team is still winning.  In his most recent outing on December 13th, Poythress sat nearly the entire fourth quarter, having already put up 28, 14, and 6.

– In one game, Alex grabbed 25 boards.  25!  Even Jorts is jealous.

– He works at Wendy’s, which has already been mentioned on KSR.  But still, how cool is that.

– It seems that Alex is following in the path of Kidd-Gilchrist, in a way.  He is a freak athlete – strong, fast, incredible leaper.  Plus, he’s a ‘gamer’.  He comes into the gym ready to play (at least this season) at such a high-level in order to get his team the win.  We’ll see how long it takes before Northeast loses a game, but right now, Alex is literally dominating the game.  His presence dictates how teams approach the game, and he still breaks through.  The Tennessee HS talent obviously pales in comparison to DI ball, but Alex could easily be the starting PF next year.

– Poythress is currently ranked overall in the class of 2012 at #19 (Rivals), #16 (Scout), and #17 (ESPN).  While high school seasons don’t necessarily effect rankings in a huge way, I do expect to see Alex move up.  In the minds of many, he is a top-10 player in this class.  And if you ask Coach Cal who he’d take over Alex, I doubt he be able to name anyone another than Shabazz.

– He shoots a BEAUTIFUL FREE THROW (and we all know how important those are after this weekend…ugh).  Don’t believe me?  See for yourself, and check out the last part of the video where he discusses his season and Kentucky. And be sure to go watch Alex when he comes to Lexington on January 7th!

Article written by Chris Thomas

19 Comments for Alex Poythress Killing It This Season

1. RidgeRunner
    6:07 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Workin’ @ Wendy’s. Ever time I hear that, It restores my faith in todays talented-youth…LOL

Good write up, Chris. Can’t wait to get him in blue.

2. Jimmy
    6:15 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

I have a double cheese, please, with a side of Alex and thank u

3. big tim
    6:22 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

what south carolina do in football there getting 6 scholarships taking away in the next 3 year http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rapid-reports/post/16456353

4. A+
    6:26 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Thomas, key to a good finals study week is to grow a beard.

5. Cats Fan
    6:36 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Cal can evaluate talent better than the so called “recruiting experts”. Thats one of the many reasons why hes the coach and none of us are or ever will be. Show some respect.

6. Cats Fan
    6:37 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

cal is a better talent evaluator than the geeks who give out the stars. Shocking.

7. DTra1n
    6:43 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Definitely better than advertised. Silky smooth. Athletic and incredible size. Has a game like LeBron… but is obvi more like Tebow when it comes to 4th quarters. #BBN

8. DTra1n
    6:44 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Watch videos.

9. Ryan Braun
    6:45 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

BEAST!

10. nolablue
    6:50 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

I just listened to the Podcast. Matt, if you read this– today y’all were talkin’ about Steve Finley from Paducah.
    Y’all kinda sorta forgot to mention that the man won a WORLD SERIES with the Arizona Diamondbacks! ; )
    Love me some Steve Finley!!!!!

11. ukfan
    7:17 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

even Jorts is jealous? please, Jorts will be back in Lexington working at Big Blue Autos before the NBA season is over.. ok, maybe he is jealous then..

12. atlantacat
    7:36 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

What a horrible interview. Asking a kid to “talk about” something rather than asking a specific question generally does nothing but embarass the kid. Specific questions get specific answers.

13. fresh prince of adair
    8:00 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

something about his demeanor and way he talks reminds me of a young Pat Pat…maybe its the mustache. i love him regardless cause he’s a cat and his goal should be to be the best “alex poythress” he can be but reminding me of pat definitely doesnt work against him.

14. frosty
    8:31 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

love that he says “yes sir!” i think he’ll be a great addition to kentucky’s squad… looking forward to seeing him in blue and out of the state of tennessee!

15. Clarksville White Castle
    8:36 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Can we get this kid over here?

16. Viren
    11:18 pm December 14, 2011 Permalink

Kentucky is already in great shape recruiting wise. Of course we still need to land Mr. Muhammad.

17. Ashland
    12:00 am December 15, 2011 Permalink

That was the worst video I have ever seen! First of all, that shot was nowhere near a three, and those captions just made me want to turn off the video. It reminded me of the scene in Forrest Gump where Forrest was talking to John Lennon.

18. WOW!!
    9:46 am December 15, 2011 Permalink

Yeah, good luck “hoisting” that ring, Alex. ha ha

19. Hoptown CAT
    2:39 pm December 15, 2011 Permalink

I live in Hoptown and have seen him play twice this season. To me he is a taller Kidd Gilchrist.