Alex Morgan’s Tuesday News and Views

The United States women’s soccer team did it again. They grabbed the attention of America and won our hearts all over again with another improbable comeback and incredible finish. Last summer, it was Abby Wambach’s header in the 122nd minute against Brazil in the World Cup quarterfinal that sent the match to penalty kicks and made a squad of otherwise unrecognizable names national heroes. On Monday, it was Alex Morgan’s header in the 123rd minute against Canada in the Olympic semifinals that has the entire country talking about US women’s soccer again. Those girls never fail to entertain.

Canada held a one-goal lead three different times, for over half of regulation, but the United States found a way to score equalizing goals every time. Megan Rapinoe scored the first two equalizers early in the second half and then Abby Wambach connected on a penalty kick to tie it up in the 80th after Canada had taken the lead again at 3-2. Both sides looked winded through the final 10 minutes of regulation and extra time, and it appeared the match was headed to penalty kicks for the first time in Olympic women’s soccer history.

Then Alex Morgan happened.

With just 30 seconds left before PKs, the beautiful American forward headed in Heather O’Reilly’s cross for what was the equivalent of a game-winning buzzer beater. The dramatic finish sent Team USA to the finals where they’ll face Japan, the team that eliminated them from the World Cup, for the gold medal.

The announcer called it the best moment of Alex Morgan’s career. I think Alex will agree.

I still say it’s tough to beat her body paint spread for Sports Illustrated.

Marry me.

Win the gold medal and then marry me.

Moving on…

Women’s soccer wasn’t the only sport the Americans were victorious in on Monday, the men’s basketball team also added another win to its total. Team USA defeated Argentina 126-97 behind a ridiculously hot night from Kevin Durant. The OKC star hit 8-of-10 three-pointers on his way to a game-high 28 points. A lopsided 42-17 third quarter after Team USA led by just one at halftime opened the door for Anthony Davis to check in in the fourth. Davis scored two points in the final seven minutes to go along with two rebounds and a blocked shot.

Oh, and Russell Westbrook did this:

America.

Kentucky football put on the pads Monday for the first time in fall camp. Joker said he liked adding the gear because he can see who will “put their face on people.” They’re still not going 100% but the coaches can see which guys play with their head up so they can put their face on people. He called it a good day of practicing.

If you’re looking for a hint as to who will start at quarterback against Louisville, you’re going to have to keep waiting. Joker said he and his staff will take their time with the quarterbacks before picking a starter. The focus now is installing new plays everyday before the first scrimmage and then they’ll begin evaluating from there. He plans to stretch out the competition over the next two weeks and then announce a starter after the second scrimmage. He doesn’t see any reason to pick his guy after the first scrimmage. He added that he likes the leadership and presence of all four quarterbacks in the huddle.

One of the biggest concerns heading into the season is replacing Danny Trevathan at linebacker, and it appears that Bud Dupree will be the guy who tries to fill the dreaded one’s shoes. Joker and the staff spoke very highly of the sophomore after Monday’s practice, saying he has that “it” factor that Randall Cobb had when he first stepped on campus. Dupree is already a leader, which is rare for a sophomore, and he’s added 30 pounds to his frame since stepping on campus. “Physically, he’s as good-looking a kid as has ever walked through the doors here,” Joker said. This could be a breakout season for Dupree.

Kyle Tucker of the C-J tweeted a fun fact about one of Kentucky’s new linebackers. Kadeem “Pancho” Thomas said his aunt called him Pancho as a child because he looked like a homeless Mexican guy named Pancho who lived down by the dock. He will officially be called Pancho this season.

Corey Nichols will now be Arcoiris Nichols.

In basketball recruiting news, James Young’s former AAU coach told SNY.tv that he expects Young to decide early and Kentucky is the school to beat.  Smoke Williamson said of Young and Kentucky, “He still loves them. He’s just weighing all his options right now.”

Mark your calendars for Friday, September 7th for The Cardinal Hill Kentucky Bash. Join fans of UK Football for a spirited evening benefitting Cardinal Hill Rehabilitation Hospital. There will be bourbon tasting, a sophisticated southern menu, live music by The Johnson Brothers, the Jim Beam Quarterback Challenge, and an exclusive live auction. Visit the event’s website for more information.

That’ll do it for now.

You ready for KSR, Morganfield????

Article written by Drew Franklin

25 Comments for Alex Morgan’s Tuesday News and Views

1. Bradley
    11:09 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

Might want to throw up the quotes that Calipari put on his Facebook… interesting stuff, and I’m sure the people here would eat it up. You’re welcome.

2. Juan4UK
    11:25 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

Uh, Bourbon tasting at a rehabilitate clinic fundraiser.? Wow

3. BPsycho
    11:32 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

That header was so EPIC it’s about impossible to explain it any other way.

You look like a homeless Mexican named Poncho? Lol I’ve said some ****** up **** in my day but dayum.

4. BPsycho
    11:35 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

I bet BTI even thought that was kinda harsh lol

5. UKBlue
    11:35 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

Draft Express is an idiot

Cal Comments: Had a chance to talk with some NBA personnel who watched some of our guys at the adidas counselor game this weekend, guys who are watching and working with the players. They told me Willie, like he’s been in practice this summer, was an absolute beast. He was aggressive, extremely coachable and played with confidence. They said Kyle looks stronger, quicker and more explosive. I’m told he missed some shots in the first games, but I’m not worried about Kyle missing. Just like last year — and like he did Sunday — he’s going to hit a lot of big shots for us. Of course, I was really interested to hear about Nerlens because we haven’t had a chance to work with him yet. My question was, was he one of the best prospects there? They said absolutely. We haven’t had the chance to add anything to his game yet — no conditioning, no weight training, no individual attention — but they loved him because he was so coachable, so smart and picked up everything in a short period of time. In Willie’s case, we’ve 16 one-hour workouts with him, so we’re seeing a different Willie than the one we saw in high school. Wait until we get Nerlens on campus to do the same thing.

6. UKBlue
    11:37 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

Damn Alex Morgan is beautiful

7. Common Sense
    11:58 pm August 6, 2012 Permalink

Bud Dupree is going to be a S-T-U-D STUD

8. jpgott2
    1:18 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

I believe that every straight male in America wants Alex Morgan to marry them. As a guy who has played at soccer all my life, and at some of the highest levels, my crush is quite strong.

9. Calforpresident
    1:29 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

I know nothing about soccer, but I do know she is HOOOOOOOOOOOOT. I’m with 8 if any male doesn’t want her they would smoke a white owl.

10. Owen
    1:32 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

It’s unfortunate for Bud Dupree, because I’m sure he’s a better guy, but every time I see his name I think of Bud Mackey. Speaking of which, where’s he doing time now?

11. Watch out...
    1:33 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

Alex is a total hottie. However, you live by the foot, you die by the foot. In other words, if you were her man and you somehow screwed up, her swift kick to your groin would be oh so accurate and oh so deadly.

12. BobbysueflayTim
    3:59 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

I take the 13 class won’t be the monster class everyone thought it would be.

13. Stewie Griffin
    6:23 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

You had It all Drew. Pride in our soccer team, bikini pic of a hot American soccer player, some foreigner getting Earl Greyed by Westbrook. Could you have quit there? Could you have left it alone with our sense of pride swelling in the morning? No. You had to go to football. You just had to do it. In the future, can you post more pics of hot Olympic chica and forgo talking about the Joke?

14. SexnNursinHomes
    6:57 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

Alex Morgan is hot and great at soccer. However, she won’t always be able to play soccer, so she needs to be able to clean, cook, make babies, and gossip about other aging housewives on facebook.

15. BPsycho
    7:41 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

#14 She can practice her juggling on me for all eternity tho.

16. Verlie's Here we come
    7:43 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

Looking forward to Verlie’s this morning. I wonder what time they start selling beers.

I will be tweeting from Verlies this morning. Any picture requests from the show?

@fake_nate_ksr

17. BPsycho
    7:46 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

#16 A wide shot of the bar.

18. SexnNursinHomes
    8:01 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

15- aslong as she lays off the high fructose corn syrup.

19. barn
    8:14 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

14–sinh–those are all inherent traits of her gender. you left out relentless bitching

20. message to Joker...
    8:23 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

If you REALLY want people to get behind this team, leave Newton’s butt on the bench, and shut up about a QB competition. I don’t care if he looked like Joe Montana last weekend. See, this is why I wish he would have transferred. I KNEW Joker would pull this crap.

21. SexnNursinHomes
    8:24 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

19- HAHA! probobaly the most important one too.

22. Christiana Pederson
    9:15 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

Glad I could gift wrap the soccer game for the American girls. Love, from Norway.

23. Erin McLeod
    10:04 am August 7, 2012 Permalink

Actually 22, I’m the one who gift wrapped the game. I figured if I held it long enough, they wouldn’t have time to score. I did it throughout the game and am lucky it was only called once. You’re welcome, America. Love, Erin

24. Eric
    12:04 pm August 7, 2012 Permalink

I tweeted James young and he told me he isnt making his decision until after his senior season

25. saquito termico
    8:06 pm August 8, 2012 Permalink

hey there and thanks in your info ? I’ve certainly picked up anything new from right here. I did then again experience several technical points the usage of this site, as I skilled to reload the site lots of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I have been pondering in case your hosting is OK? Now not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very frequently impact your placement in google and could harm your quality ranking if ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my email and can look out for much more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you replace this again soon..