Alabama Going for Back to Back Championships and Other News of Note

What’s old is new again after tonight’s de facto National Championship SEC title game that saw Georgia take on Alabama in one of the best football games of the year. The game was back and forth all night and a game worthy of determining the rightful champion of the SEC. Georgia had a great drive to end the game but were beaten by the clock at the goal line. Next up for the Tide will be another blue blood of college football, Notre Dame. After so much Manti Te’o during Thursday night’s game I can’t wait to see the Irish get crushed by playing a real team. Alabama has a chance to make it four in a row for their state including 3 of the last four going to Tuscaloosa. Go SEC!

-Florida State and Mark Stoops are in action currently on ESPN as they take on Georgia Tech for the ACC championship. The game will be the final time that Stoops coaches the Seminoles as he will leave the team tomorrow to move to Lexington. This vaunted defense should  be fun to watch as I doubt many Wildcat fans paid much attention to them before this week.

-Deandre Liggins was called back up to the Thunder from the D-League tonight. The Thunder will take on two former Cats as they square off against the Hornets. Congrats to Liggins as he gets to continue living out his dreams.

What’s your score predictions for the now determined national championship?

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

50 Comments for Alabama Going for Back to Back Championships and Other News of Note

1. Matt g
    8:33 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Roll tide!!!!! Go big blue!!!!! Go SEC!!!!!!!!

2. Brad S
    8:36 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Bama 34; ND 13

3. RC
    8:36 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Spike. The. Dang. Ball!

4. Manbearpig
    8:38 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

it’s rolling baby!! Bama 28 ND 17

5. Did you watch the game?
    8:39 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Did you even watch the game?? Georgia threw an interception to lose it. Georgia didn’t have a “great drive to end the game” nor did they get beat by the clock. Get your facts straight young blood.

6. Did you watch the game?
    8:42 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Oh and they were closer to midfield not the goal line. I hope you pay more attention to the Cats when you’re writing a piece on them. As much as Matt complains about journalists doing research before blindly publishing something… his own staff needs to take notice

7. bigbluejay
    8:43 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

5) actually that interception was reversed to an incomplete pass. Georgia had the ball on their 5 when time ran out.

8. Cole
    8:45 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#4,5) you all must have turned off the tv when he threw the interception because they overturned it and Georgia drove all the way down inside Alabama’s 10. It was one heck of a drive! Get off Andrew’s back, and get YOUR facts straight! Andrew, great article and don’t listen to these haters. #HaterGonnaHate

9. Cole
    8:45 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I meant #5,6

10. Jake
    8:46 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Well, I guess #5 just got shut up.

11. 5 and 6
    8:47 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

obviously did NOT watch the game, or turned it off when he thought Bama had a pick. He/she couldn’t be more wrong.

12. Cole
    8:49 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Bama 31 Notre Dame 17

13. NDfan
    8:49 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

As far as playing “real” teams, ND beat 9 bowl eligible teams and Bama only beat 4

14. Cole
    8:50 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

wait didn’t Matt predict Bama to beat Georgia by 4, he’s right again!

15. old_school
    8:50 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Bunch of blind SEC fans. How’s the view from the bottom of the pile? IRISH will crush the ebbing Tide!

16. Bridgewater
    8:57 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Come on NOLES!!! We’ll be seeing you on NEW YEARS DAY!!!! UK, will you EVER know what it’s like to play in a BCS BOWL???? Keep pulling for your ” conference”, cuz it’s all you got!! I’d worry more about STOPPING VANDY FROM HANGING 40 on you. . . . I would have but Coach let me only play the FIRST HALF!! Go NOLES!!!

17. old_school
    8:57 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I’m neither Catholic nor wealthy enough to attend Notre Dame, but GO IRISH. I’ll root against anything I see on this site! Guess I’m really f*cked if they make a post about how awesome “oxygen” is.

18. Bridgewater
    8:59 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Thank God I play in the middle school league! Those 10 wins were tough! We would’ve been perfect had we not ran into perennial football powerhouses UCONN and Syracuse!

19. Western Kentucky
    9:06 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

What’s up??? Just heard STOOPS won’t play us next year ??? Wants Transylvania instead! What’s up with that??? Sun Belt too tough??? EMBARRASSING……

20. James
    9:06 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Alabama will absolutely crush notre dame!! It won’t be a contest

21. Rajon9rondo
    9:07 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Rick Majerus. RIP.

22. mashburnfan1
    9:08 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

UGA really blew that, should have spiked ball to re-group. Would have had 2 plays from the 7 or so. Either team would beat ND this year. Of course in NCAA the game is played in like 7 months so who knows…what a joke. % weeks between games is like a new one game season…STUPID. I watch cause I love sports but I never consider anyone a champion in NCAA FBS football.

23. Bridgewater
    9:08 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

It’s also too bad we didn’t get to play a team as good as Kent St ALL YEAR LONG.

24. Morgan
    9:10 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Why do all the writers on this site hate on notre dame love both uk and notre dame so I’m just curious where all the dislike for notre dame comes from kentucky fans

25. Isaac in Long Beach
    9:11 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

19) I’m pretty sure we’re under contract with you guys for 2 more games, so I’d check your sources.

21) That’s really sad news… RIP.

26. Old_schools sucks!!
    9:17 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Always has, always will.

27. RandyJenkins
    9:24 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I think Bama wiill win but I don’t wont them too. College football is a sham. Glad UK lost today in basketball. Cheatin’ ways never pays son. #GoBIgORANGE #VOLS4LYFE

28. Joe
    9:25 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

No dawg in this fight, but say what you will ND is UNDEFEATED…it doesn’t matter if they barely won, or Pitt NEARLY beat them. All that matters is that they DIDN’T LOSE A GAME.

So, I’d say that it might be a decent game and I’m not counting ND out. I think you guyz might be wise to take that advice.

29. EC
    9:27 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Tide 45 Irish 6;

30. Joe
    9:28 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

BTW, what is the FSU-GA Tech score?

31. Sandy
    9:29 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

24. It’s mainly a hate for Digger Phelps. Plus the fact they just whipped us pretty good. And we’ve had a pretty storied history against them in b-ball. Not to mention the fact that all Catholics are going to hell.

32. Joe
    9:35 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Not to mention the fact that all Catholics are going to hell.

No, not as long as we attend weekly Mass and/or play Bingo…*SHEESH* you grumpy Protestants.

33. RealCatsFan
    9:36 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

27, you should know all about cheating rooting for a team that fittingly wears that prison jumpsuit orange. Nothing sucks like a BIG ORANGE.

34. RealCatsFan
    9:40 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Really sorry to hear of the passing of big Rick Majerus. The guy always added a lot of color to the sidelines, and I loved hearing about his quirky ways – living out of a hotel room for most of his college career, for example. I always felt kind of sorry for him rolling the snake eyes having to play UK every year in the NCAA Tourney. Sounds like it was probably a case of congestive heart failure, and sadly, his weight was probably a big factor. Take note Cal – I see that weight creeping up. Stress and weight gain are killers!

35. RealCatsFan
    9:42 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Joe, FSU up 21 – 6 at the half.

That Bama / UGA game was epic. College FB at its best!

36. Joe
    9:53 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#5 Thanks. It was a great game! ND had better practice up on their Run Defense.

37. Han
    10:08 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

So if rumors are to be believes, right now we may pick up a total of 3 staff members from FSU (Stoops, Coley, Elliot) and possibly 2 from Texas Tech (Brown if Coley is somehow RC and not OC, and Scott for RB). Shaping up to be a strong staff. They’ll just need Mitch, UK, and the state to come through on the financial support.

Bama over ND 20 to 10.

38. Han
    10:11 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

13) ND barely won a lot of their games, too. Bama was stronger most of the year. But every year people say the SEC team is overrated, and every year they destroy the other team. ND has to prove they’re better on the field, because they’re facing the defending champ.

19) Dude, Transy’s undefeated in football for like 50 years.

39. DidYouWatchTheGame?
    10:27 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Obviously you did not.

40. dave
    10:35 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

So what we lost to ND in SB. I’m not a Bama fan and don’t believe I have to cheer ofr our rivals in the SEC. GO IRISH

41. dave
    10:35 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

BTW the guy who spent two lines spouting about DID YOU WATCH THE GAME…….INSERT FOOT IN MOUTH dumbss

42. Tom
    11:10 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I wouldn’t count ND out either. 2nd ranked scoring defense in college football. They’ve beaten teams like Stanford and Oklahoma. So they’ve played some “real” teams. I think they’ll surprise a lot of people on January 7th. Not saying they’ll win, but it should be a darn good game.

43. Swimdawg
    12:12 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

Bama only played 5 teams with a winning record this year. With the exception of LSU, Miss St and A&M (who they lost to) Bama played all of the worst teams in the SEC not named Kentucky. Arkansas, Mizzou, Tennessee, Auburn & Ole Miss went a combined 23-37 (and fired 3 of the 5 coaches). Throw in powerhouses such as Florida Atlantic (3-9), Western Ky (7-6) & Western Carolina (1-10) that makes up a less than impressive schedule. On the other hand Notre Dame has played 10 bowl eligible teams and ZERO FBS teams. I would hardly say that Bama has played a tougher schedule than Notre Dame. Go Irish!!

44. Jayhawkdelusion
    12:39 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

Georgia didn’t lose…….they ran out of time.

45. Jayhawkdelusion
    12:40 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

Old_school = Old Fool

46. PPat
    2:25 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

Forth, not fourth there Cassady

47. Yoda
    8:36 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

I fully agree that I hope Alabama crushes Notre Dame. The sense of entitlement that Golden Domers carry is annoying and I truly do think ‘Bama will put them in their place.

That being said, I do not – nor will I ever – understand the “Go SEC!!!” bandwagon fans. Again, I’m rooting for ‘Bama because they are the lesser of two evils and someone has to win. To hide that behind the thin veil of “My school is the doormat for the best football conference in the country so I’m rooting for the bully on my block” is just asinine. No, the SEC winning doesn’t make UK “look better” because UK would struggle to win in the MAC.

Get off the Conference Loyalty bit and just like who ya like. It’s like rooting for your ex-girlfriend to date the Quarterback just because you know her. Have some SELF RESPECT!

48. Dr. Tom
    10:01 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

Such a pleasure to watch SEC football which is for the purist of college game. No fancy uniforms or razzle dazzle plays just plain and simple execution of the game as it is supposed to be played. Another SEC champanionship coming soon!!

49. oldcatdad
    10:12 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

Sorry folks, but ND is better than Bama this year. Lot’s of hate for ND and that’s fine. We are Catholic and polarizing. However, give the Irish credit. 10 of the 12 teams on our schedule are going bowling this year. Tougher schedule than Bama. Beat every single one of them. It’s funny how Domer haters always say the Irish get lucky when they win, but don’t say that about their opponents when they lose. As LL Cool J says “Haters always gonna hate”. Final score ND – 24; Bama 14.

50. JR
    9:08 pm December 2, 2012 Permalink

I wouldnt bet on Notre Dame lying down. It will be a closer game than many of you think. I dont understand the SEC bandwagon. The rest of the SEC doesnt care if you root for their team. If you been to Alabama, they would rather root for Satan than Auburn. Dont be surprised if Notre Dame wins, conference fans.