AJ Stewart’s “That Awkward Moment When…”

This tweet is a couple weeks old but that doesn’t mean we can’t laugh at it. AJ Stewart sent it out to Patrick Patterson, Darius Miller, Josh Harrellson, and Donald Williams, insinuating Billy Gillispie didn’t know what he was doing during the notorious Gardner Webb loss.

AJ Stewart: “that awkward moment when ur losing to gardner webbing and coach asks joe what play to run”

————-

“Don’t smile because it’s over, cry because it happened.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

36 Comments for AJ Stewart’s “That Awkward Moment When…”

1. greg
    3:03 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

wow

2. greg
    3:04 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

that’s ridiculous, I’m so glad that is in the past. How could he possibly been that bad? This is exactly how

3. Dandy Andy
    3:09 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

How in the world did this man do so good at Texas A&M. It really blows my mind. Count me in the group who wanted Cal then but was satisfied when we got billy [email protected]$$. Boy was I wrong. #INCALWETRUST

4. Big Blue 66
    3:10 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Hey, its not easy remembering a play when your that drunk, the only thing going thru BCG’s mind at that moment was something about not letting the paint dry

5. Big Blue 66
    3:11 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

oops made the mistake you’re

6. Jpat14
    3:15 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Hilarious. I can’t root for Billy G anywhere he goes. I’m ashamed of those years and even how delirious we were as fans. He made Tubby look like Phil Jackson. For Coach Cal to turn this program in the time that he did was nothing short of miraculous.

7. Rick Roy
    3:17 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

I thought he was going to say “That awkward moment when you walk back on to campus in Lex and noone knows who you are.”

8. Turkey Hunter
    3:19 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Evidently, Joe’s choice of plays wasn’t the best choice. I guess BCG should have asked someone else.

9. Zach
    3:23 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Joe’s play = Give me the ball and clear out. I will run into the lane, jump and then decide what I’m going to do with the ball.

10. emlang08
    3:27 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

#3

Acie Law – only real answer.

11. Dave in Kabul
    3:31 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

OUCH!!!

12. Gary
    3:33 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Those two awful years had to happen in order to justify the hiring of Cal. So, I am glad that G. was as bad a coach and fit for our program as he proved to be. Otherwise, it would never have happened and now resulted in 3 phenomenal years; a final 8, a final 4, a National Championship, and continued great recruiting.

13. emlang08
    3:33 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Lol – excerpt from the Acie Law wiki page, check out the last few lines.

“While in junior high, Law broke his right hand during basketball practice. In order to continue to compete, the naturally right-handed Law taught himself to shoot the basketball with his left hand. After recovering from his injury, Law was able to shoot with either hand, but as of 2007 still primarily relied on his left-hand to shoot from a long distance. His left-handed jump shots are unusual, however, because the ball has hardly any spin, instead flying straight into the basket. After much examination, Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie realized that this is because Law uses his right thumb when he shoots, negating the spin. To help improve his form, Gillispie ordered Law to tape his right thumb against his hand in practice and try shooting without it. Law was unable to make the shots, and Gillispie quickly decided not to intervene further.”

14. Dames Ban Jer Veek
    3:41 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

That awkward moment when Billy G. told them to run play ’14’ and Michael Porter struggled to hide his erection.

15. Eric
    3:53 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Is the widget of today’s show going to be up anytime soon? I need something to listen to at work.

16. Dandy Andy
    3:53 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

# 10 Good point that and just had to beat Suckville in the sweet sixteen

17. bluebloodtoo
    4:09 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Has anyone considered how another coach could have followed Tubby and been successful when so much of the fan base loved Tubby? I’m thinking that BCG was only there to serve as a scapegoat and allow Calipari to make his run at the national title before leaving Memphis. If you think that Barnhart made that kind of egregious error accidentally you are fooling yourself. He knew that BCG would give him a million reasons to fire him when the right candidate arose.

18. Joe
    4:28 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

17, this isn’t the YMCA league. Athletic directors don’t tank games to wait two years on the off chance of hiring “the right coach”. Donovan turned UK down and Barnhart panicked. That combined with Billy G having just had the good luck to beat UL in Lexington made it happen.

19. caveman2
    4:44 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

It is tough to call plays when Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker, and Makers Mark are your assistant coaches. X’s and O’s aren’t their strong suit.

20. Steve
    5:29 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

The BCG bashing never rests here at KSR. You’d think he coached at Duke instead of KY. I guess the hillbillies here don’t mind throwing BCG under the bus day-in and day-out, while YKW never gets a discouraging word.

So much for big blew loyalty. Now it’s just another low-life fan base.

21. bart edwards
    5:37 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

#17. Where was all of this fanbase that allegedly still loved Tubby? The only people who still wanted Tubby after nine straight years without a Final Four were a couple of drunks down at the Stop ‘n Rob.
    And BCG’s SEC record for his two years here, as bad as they supposedly were, was STILL better than Tubby’s SEC record over his last two years. That’s how bad Tubby was. Tubby made BCG look like, well, the SEC Coach of the Year. Oh yeah, that’s right: he WAS voted SEC Coach of the Year.

22. Bradley
    5:43 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

That awkward moment when Joe Crawford said Gillispie did more for him than anyone in his life…oops, my bad. Not what you guys are wanting to hear. How about, that awkward moment when you fail for one of the few times in your life on a stage for all the country to see and bloggers and commenters think it’s hilarious.

23. Bradley
    5:48 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

17. He didn’t fail because Tubby was loved. He failed because he had his own issues that needed to be taken care of before he took on such a huge task. The fact the UK Basketball had become a non top 25 program under Tubby and the roster was filled with Tubby guys who had no business here were certainly a hinderance, but what happened was going happen regardless. I like BCG, and the guy can CERTAINLY coach, but he was an awful fit. We have the perfect guy now and BCG will have TTU playing very well in the B12 in his 2nd or 3rd year.

24. tennessee wildcat
    5:59 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Can’t we just move on, really! I don’t care if I ever hear anything ever again about the two gillespie years. The dude should have been given a taste of his own medicine for what he did.

25. huh, what...
    6:00 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

So, “most ridiculous manner possible” only applies to the ‘writers’ on the site – not us contributors? Amazing the crap ksr allows to stay up (some actually posted by ksr) on this site vs the things that get deleted.

Billy Clyde even feels sorry for ksr’s ‘short man syndrome.’

26. Rixter
    6:12 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

After perusing the web site today, I’m going to suggest KSR shut down until October. Let’s face it, there’s really nothing to talk about…. Another scouting report of Darius Miller, let’s watch Enes Kanter work out, some kid re-classified from one class to another, blah blah blah….it’s mindless drivel, which we can get anywhere.

27. bluebloodtoo
    7:10 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

18/23 – At some point in your life you should try stepping back and looking at the bigger picture. A few bad years only makes things better in the long run. Just like the economy and every other big business, growth and settling occur in every stage of life. That’s exactly why those guys are paid the big money to make the tough decisions that no one else has the balls to make.

I do feel bad for the way the players were treated by BCG. In most states, his disciplinary measures would have caused him to be IMPRISONED. and he should have been! I don’t know anything about him currently, so I can’t speak to whether he corrected himself or not. However, he did plenty at UK that should have taken him to prison.

28. John
    7:12 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

13- that is actually a very common shooting drill. They make plastic discs that you velcro onto your off hand so you are only using your shooting hand to shoot

29. spookykim
    7:21 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

The Gardner Webb loss ranks up there for me as one of the worst losses in big blue history because it was FREAKIN Gardner Webb!!! Who had ever heard of them before that (& since). Such a heartache that those poor boys have to carry that burden. BCG should have been fired the very next day.

30. lol
    7:35 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

lmfao @ these bcg apologists

31. Nolecat21
    8:18 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

Count me as one who couldn’t stand BCG from the start. I was kicked off Maggard’s site for arguing with him too much about this very same topic. BCG was a horrible choice, and it had nothing to do with Tubby. Cal proved what the right person for the job is capable of.

32. tltaworl
    10:56 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

I was in the Master’s program at Gardner Webb when that game was played. Not fun. But if Cal had gotten hired in 2007 and he brought D Rose we would have had a final four vacated and he would never live that down at UK. Everything happens for a reason, if the Billy Clide Experiment.

33. Bigblue
    11:03 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

It’s hard to believe BCG was that bad…but he was. I was not very impressed with the hire right out the gate, but I jumped on board… never imagined how BAD it could get. It is obvious Mitch did not do any kind of a background check at all. BCG had major issues and imploded big time.

34. ukfaninohio
    11:36 pm May 21, 2012 Permalink

so by ksrs logic fans should be blasted for talking bad about current coaches like joker but it’s ok for past coaches?

35. HeyMatt
    9:25 am May 22, 2012 Permalink

This website should have a button at the top of the page which leads directly to the radio show. I always intend to listen then I never do. If there was a button right when I come to the website then I would be more likely to listen to the radio show. Just trying to help. I love this site!

36. Deerock
    1:24 pm May 22, 2012 Permalink

21- yes, in ’08 Gillispie was named Co-Southeastern Conference coach of the year along with Bruce Pearl of the Tennessee Volunteers. UK went 12-4 in conference. Then the ‘cats completely nose-dived in his second season to an 8-8 conference record. Sheesh.