“AIRBALL” and other thoughts on the Vandy loss

dukefan2
Look, it’s my new BFF!

Hello, friends. While you were cussing at the television and pacing around the room yesterday, I was fortunate enough to be at the game. A few rows from the floor, in fact. Since I don’t get to go to many Kentucky games these days (how dare they play all of their home games in Lexington and not Nashville!), I was in Big Blue Heaven. Until Vandy won, at least.

Here are my quick hits from the game:

Coach Cal was frustrated with Doron Lamb. As the team headed into the tunnel at halftime, Cal basically told Lamb to “talk to the hand cause the face ain’t listening” as Lamb attempted to explain his actions (or inactions?). At one point during the first half, while the Cats were shooting free throws on the other side of the court, Cal called Lamb over to talk and mocked the freshman for leisurely jogging over to him. Like BTI mentioned earlier, Lamb has been slumping lately and Calipari is not happy about it. He may have the prettiest shot on the team, but Lamb needs to stop whining and start hustling if he wants to be one of the reasons this team turns it around come March.

Wow, Jarrod Polson is tiny. I’m only 5’3″, but yesterday at the game, I could have sworn I was taller than Polson. Maybe it’s the long shorts? Or the tall socks?

-One thing I noticed late in the game yesterday was how the Cats continue to freak the f’ out in the last few minutes of a close game. Cal mentioned in his Lexy audio tweet about the psychological impact of looking at the score and the clock during games; this was obvious with about three minutes left…with panic in their veins, the Cats passed the ball around the perimeter as though they were playing hot potato. Finally, Knight and Jones attempted to save the game with threes, but you know that’s probably not what Cal had planned.

ashleyukvandy

Ashley Judd is still hot (says the straight girl). She sat a mere 20 yards from our seats and, when not taking pictures with fans around her, seemed to enjoy the game and sneaking in sly glances at Tony Delk (I was watching, Ashley).

I hate Vandy fans. The rich old ones around us reeked of snobbery and bad sportsmanship. Granted, my brother-in-law was pretty loud (those “miss it!” and “airball!” chants while the Vandy kids hit free throws? That was him), but leaning over and yelling “NOW THAT’S WHAT I CALL AN AAAAYRRBAWL” in my ear after Jones’ bad shot? Good grief, old man. And the girl in front of me with the Vandy sweatshirt and Duke hat? Needless to say, we did not get along.

Vandy accepts all shapes and sizes to their cheerleading squad. Okay, I’m a nice girl, so I’m not about to go hate on another lady for her weight, but man…one of the Vandy cheerleaders was struggling to keep her curves in her tight dance squad dress (not in a good way). It didn’t help that the dress looked like a trash bag.

You can’t stop a player like Jenkins when he’s on fire. Except for a four or five shots, the Cats defended Jenkins pretty well the entire game. Jenkins was apparently in the Vandy gym two hours prior to tipoff shooting threes, according to Larry Vaught’s Droid.

Calipari is flat out entertaining to watch during a game. His body language and “courtside manner” are mesmerizing. I was exhausted just watching him.

Jorts got his groove back. Maybe it was the lady in the “Happy birthday JORTS” tshirt behind the bench or the fact that Ashley Judd was in the house, but Jorts found his touch around the basket again.

This team needs a new mentality. Maybe it’s time to put the “Refuse to Lose” shirts away and go back to the drawing board. How about “Play to Win”? Or “Stop freaking out and run the play”? This group of Cats look like they are so desperate not to lose that they don’t even think about ways to win. Hopefully this will change before the postseason.

That’s all, folks. I’ll be with you a little longer, then Beisner will be by to tuck you in with the night post.

29 Comments for “AIRBALL” and other thoughts on the Vandy loss

1. Big D
    6:44 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

Vandy is Vandy,tough place . Another career high for an opponent is a recipe for a loss. Schedule does’nt get any easier either.

2. Jeff from owensboro
    6:53 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

Great post Tyler, very quickly moving up as one of my favorite KSR writers.

3. Schedule
    7:02 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

Actually, I do get easier. Home games are much easier than road games. UK loses 1 of the last 6…at most.

4. CatFan4444
    7:12 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

This team needs a dose of pulling out the Farmer, Pelphrey, Feldhaus and Co videos and sit them down and say “this is what KY basketball is” put it in your routine…look in the mirror and what does the blue jersey say across the front…KENTUCKY…

5. Goodman
    7:20 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

How long is Miller out?

6. UkJay
    7:30 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

Does Jorts have any bottom teeth? It doesn’t look like it.

7. Festus from Vandy
    7:30 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

I owned Jorts

8. GoCatsGo
    7:32 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

6) Hearing one to two weeks.

9. Cal'scats
    7:34 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

UK/ Vandy replay is on right now (CBS College). There is 6 minutes to go and we are down 64-63. Looks like it’s going down to the wire.

10. Big D
    7:35 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

3) I’m still pulling for my Cats, but I’ll take that challenge. Razorbacks and the hated Vols on the road with Florida and Vandy again. I don’t know about that.

11. len morrow
    7:56 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

Please,Cal. Have our player run hard and drive opposing defenders into “well-set”,”solid ” screens,rather than casually running around the screens…..look at Vandy !!. For God’s sake .let’s stop Miller’s “gator-arming ” short shots by using the old Dan Issel/Tim Duncan technique of using the BACKBOARD !!!!! Makes up for a lot of “fear”,” no-confidence” shots !!

12. 1234
    8:12 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

Damn son are you really only 5’3″.

13. Big Blue 66
    8:20 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

5. just ridiculous, those guys went 14 and 14 in Rickys first year, was that before they knew what KY basketball was?

14. Schedule
    8:21 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

10. We won’t lose at home. UT and Arky are more likely L’s than any home game even though the home games are vs better teams

15. Eli
    8:34 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

I thought the same thing about their “Refuse to Lose” creed. Isn’t that the WORST mentality to use when approaching a game? To play not to lose?

16. Cal'scats
    8:45 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

can’t see comments, must make random post.

17. tyson
    8:46 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

great post tyler, but when did you become a girl?

18. test
    8:49 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

test

19. bosshogg24
    9:14 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

Tyler if you are 5’3″ and Polson is 6’2″, on paper you are 11 inches shorter! So I don’t see how you are taller!

20. UKeith26
    9:22 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

i like ms. thompson. She says mean things, but still keeps it classy enough to call herself a lady. Can we have more days where she posts more than everyone else combined? This website really benefits when the talented writers take over

21. Nassau65
    9:56 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

Duke hat—–really?

22. unboltedharp
    10:20 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

Airball, really? I thought the ball was tipped…….Why don’t they use the glass anymore? Why wasn’t it an intentional foul when they leveled Knight? He did not have the ball! It was a cheap shot. Vandy played the dirtest game I’ve ever seem them play. Then there’s the turnovers, how many in the last five minutes?

23. Viren
    11:24 pm February 13, 2011 Permalink

A History Lesson

I know we always have a very high expectations for our Wildcats, let’s not forget just how hard it is to win a National Championships. Kentucky has been very fortunate and lucky enough to win 7 NCAA Championships, second most behind UCLA’s 11. I guess when you had so much success on the basketball court, we forget the circumstances that surrounding current basketball team. Wildcats did were not fortunate enough to get the service of Enes Kanter who was suppose to fill the void of departing Patterson, Cousins, Orton, and Stevenson. I really think Calipari was so sure even after few game suspension that Kanter would be cleared to play this season. If he knew NCAA would not clear Kanter, I am sure Calipari would have gone hard after C.J. Leslie or some other available recruits who were still undecided. I just wish Kentucky fans would stop questioning whether Cal’s recruiting and coaching ability. If you really do not want to support the team win or lose that is fine there are 300+ D-I basketball school you can pick from don’t let the door hits you on your way out. After going through last few years of Tubby Smith Era and Billy Gillispie mistake, I am just happy as one can be as a UK fan to see #1 recruiting class rolling in to play for Kentucky.

Kentucky (7 National Championships)

1948- First National Championship
    1949- Second National Championship
    1951- Third National Championship (after 3 years from last)
    1958- Fourth National Championship(after 7 years from last)
    1978- Fifth National Championship (after 20 years from last)
    1996- Sixth National Championship (after 18 years from last)
    1998- Seventh National Championship (after 2 years from last)
    ____ Eighth National Championship (after 13+ Years from last)

North Carolina (5 National Championships)
    1957- First National Championship
    1982- Second National Championship (after 25 years from last)
    1993- Third National Championship (after 11 years from last)
    2005- Fourth National Championship (after 12 years from last)
    2009- Fifth National Championship (after 4 years from last)

Kansas (3 National Championships)

1952- First National Championship
    1988- Second National Championship (after 36 years from last)
    2008- Third National Championship (after 20 years from last)

Duke (4 National Championships)
    1991- First National Championship
    1992- Second National Championship
    2001- Third National Championship (after 9 years from last)
    2010- Fourth National Championship (after 9 years from last)- We all know this was a gift to Devils from the NCAA they were not the overall #1 seed and should not have gotten the easy road.

So there we all can agree these four programs are elite and but it takes talent plus some luck to win the NCAA Championship when you are in a single elimination tournament. I hope you keep this in mind as we get ready for March Madness 2011.

GO Cats

24. Dawood Khan
    1:30 am February 14, 2011 Permalink

Maybe the Men’s Team should go watch the Women’s Team to learn how to win.

25. bigbluelife
    6:51 am February 14, 2011 Permalink

I submit that even though Jenkins’ 32 didn’t help we were more hurt by chaingang’s first half 12- not sure he could score 12 in a gym by himself but I wish we did have his big body on our side this year.

26. Nassau65
    8:22 am February 14, 2011 Permalink

17. she has made that clear to us on many occasions. and she also began using the “Ms.” in front of her name at least two months ago.

27. Jorge
    9:40 am February 14, 2011 Permalink

Terrible writing. Making fun of a bigger cheerleader because just because she’s on the other team? Grow up. This used to be a sports site.

28. Lou eaton
    9:58 am February 14, 2011 Permalink

It still comes down to defense period! For Jenkins the defense should have been inside his shorts to prevent him from getting open looks. Just guarding him “close” is insufficient. You have to be much more physical and virtually in contact, denying him the ball, etc. When a player already has 20 points it should become obvious that he is the guy who is going to determine the outcome. Put Hood, Polson, Poole or anyone on him and make him get them at the line…this is preferable to threes all night long!!!!!!!!!!! We simply cannot defend against the three..

29. Khiggs
    10:26 am February 14, 2011 Permalink

On the Vandy cheerleaders: not only were they of all sizes, fugly,and wearing pleather, but that is the most unorganized bunch that I have ever seen. The 4 snobby Vandy bluehairs in front of me were more in sync. I suppose opur cheerleading standards are high, but I saw a squad at upward basketball that had it together better than they did.