Abdul Malik-Abu fasting during crucial July recruiting period

Abdul-Malik-Abu_634_394_sha-30_imagesvwatermark-sml.png_400_250_30_r_b_-10_-10_rot270_s_394_634_29dfb1c1e66babf6_rot90

2014 UK recruit Abdul Malik-Abu jumped onto Kentucky’s radar last weekend with an impressive performance in the Peach Jam. The 6’8″ 235 lbs. power forward is considered the 50th best player in the 2014 class by Rivals, and his stock is rising after a good showing on the summer circuit. However, Malik-Abu is also facing a challenge that his fellow prospects are not: he’s a practicing Muslim, and is currently fasting for Ramadan. Starting on July 8th and continuing through August 7th, Malik-Abu will not eat or drink between sunrise and sundown.

NBCSports.com interviewed Malik-Abu after he played in the Nike Global Challenge yesterday, and the talented power forward admitted that he’s pretty tired: “It’s something I have to do, but it’s hard.”

An excerpt:

Here’s how Malik-Abu’s schedule works during Ramadan. He stops eating and drinking at about 4:30 a.m. each morning. For the next 16 hours, he has to hope that all the food and all the water that he packed into his stomach the night before keeps him running through out the day. At 8:30 p.m., when the sun sets and he’s allowed to eat again, Malik-Abu gets his Joey Chestnut on, which sounds ideal until you think about just how hard it is to actually fit that much stuff in your stomach.

“I eat as much as I can, but you get full quick because you haven’t eaten all day,” Malik-Abu said. “Just eat in spurts and spurts and spurts and spurts, and drink a lot of water.”

“It sucks. You think, ‘Oh, I’m fasting, I can eat as much as I want,’ but you get so full. You have to force yourself to drink water, or you’re going to pass out.”

So far, fasting hasn’t affected Malik-Abu’s game too much, but he’s still got a ways to go. He says his list of schools is currently at 10 or 11, and that he plans to trim his list after the live period ends. Currently, he doesn’t have an offer from the Cats, but that may change in the coming months.

[NBCSports.com: Abdul Malik-Abu balances July’s live-period with his fasting for Ramadan]

74 Comments for Abdul Malik-Abu fasting during crucial July recruiting period

1. wayne
    10:49 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

maybe it would be best if he go to duke

2. B-Lord
    10:51 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

Religions and their strange food rituals. I’ll never get it. Because gorging yourself at night and not eating all day long really maximizes your spirituality.

3. A.R.
    10:57 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

B-Lord: It teaches restraint, appreciation for food and water, among other spiritual benefits.

4. Jeffrey
    10:58 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

This is why I do not like religion, they even cause you to do unhealthy things to your body if you’re so deluded in it.

5. lexslamman
    11:04 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

Ramadan Mubarak! We have always welcomed Muslim players at UK and respected their duty to fast.

6. Hal
    11:05 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

3- while it may “teach restraint” it is still unhealthy. especially if you’re playing multiple b-ball games a day & weigh 235 lbs.

7. No thanks
    11:06 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

2…I’m not worried about that belief but the horrible treatment of women and hatred of other cultures/societies is an issue for me…hope we don’t get this kid.

8. tuxedo park
    11:08 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

yeah cause christians never did anything bad ever.

9. Bmg
    11:08 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

This is awesome it teaches restraint from bodily desires don’t you guys wanna rise above your animal instincts??

10. Wedding Planner
    11:13 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

Mentally strong kid. Hope we get him.

11. JoeMoney333
    11:13 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

Good for him, way to stay strong in your faith. If only most Christians would put that much effort into their faith.

12. JoeMoney333
    11:15 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

Also if KSR’s commentors show us anything with their educated views on politics their educated views on world religions should be a joy!

13. Wedding Planner
    11:24 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

I am a Muslim that went to UK and I was there in Sep 2001. I will always be grateful to UK and the Lexington community for their mature and fair treatment of the muslim community around that time. That’s why the USA will always be the best place in the world.

14. lexslamman
    11:28 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

7. Yup, because the Southern Baptist Convention, the Westboro Baptist Church and Operation Rescue are known for their tolerance for other cultures, peaceful and restrained tactics, and liberal views on the rights and equality of women.

15. Han
    11:33 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

I remember reading about a pair of brothers in the NFL a few years ago having to go through training camp during Ramadan. Dudes get sick and pass out during that without fasting, so it’s gotta be ridiculously hard to do it with so little food and water.

16. UK Wildcat
    11:34 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

Yawn. Call me when we get a pagan.

17. J in Orlando
    11:42 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

13 I am not a Muslim, but that’s great…and don’t let the small minded morons who will inevitably make bigoted comments on here get to you…their ignorance makes them miserable and afraid

18. MOSLIMS
    11:43 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

WE DON’T WANT NONE OF THEM MOSLIMS AT THIS HERE FINE UPSTANDIN CHIRSTIAN SCHOOL WE GOT

Some of you are weapons-grade idiots and I wish bad things upon you.

19. barn
    11:48 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

sometimes you can say a lot by saying nothing. so no comment.

20. Mr. Caption!
    11:52 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

I have no answer

21. cracka
    11:53 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

but if you’re a SLOW turtle and you’re in the middle of the road … what happens?

22. Jeffrey
    11:54 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

@ 7: religion in general isn’t healthy to women, and etc. That includes Christianity.

23. JoeMoney333
    11:57 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

19… except you did say something… so you said very little

24. Irrelevant
    11:58 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

Remember guys, just because they have baited the trap with this story, we are not suppose to fall for it. This would only upset Matt.

25. JoeMoney333
    11:59 am July 19, 2013 Permalink

18. Condemning other’s judgments while making your own in the same statement… Congratulations…

hy·poc·ri·sy
    /hiˈpäkrisē/
    (Noun)
    The practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one’s own behavior does not conform; pretense.

26. barn
    12:00 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

23–but that very little spoke volumes

27. RealCatsFan
    12:02 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

I completely respect Abdul’s devotion to his faith, and I would welcome him to UK. I just hope that there are no additional Muslim holidays that require fasting during the NCAA basketball season, especially in March!

28. kyrobman
    12:04 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

Its better to set there and be thought of as an idiot then start typing something and remove all doubt. Also it isn’t our place to Judge.

29. arlo
    12:16 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

confucious say never argue with fool. he might be doing same thing.

30. Seven Eight Nine
    12:31 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

If you choose to be intolerant of foreign religions than that is you’re loss and you’re fault. But if you say you’re tolerant of all religions, like im sure many of you would claim to be, then please, be tolerant of ALL religions. This includes Christianity. Being tolerant does not mean give all minorities a free pass and hold the majorities to a higher standard. It means respect each and every individual’s beliefs as you do your own, even if you do not agree.

31. JoeMoney333
    1:00 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

26. Just because it is loud doesn’t mean it’s worth listening too 😉

32. JoeMoney333
    1:04 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

27. Good News (to my knowledge, which is more than most but less than it could be) Ramadan is the only Islamic fasting period. It’s timing is based on lunar cycles so it will be later next year but the good news for Cat fans is that it will not be near basketball season.

Ramadan in 2014 will start on Saturday, the 28th of June and will continue for 30 days until Sunday, the 27th of July

33. Oogie
    1:13 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

#7… stereotype much?

34. YSR2KSR
    1:34 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

the wrong religion comes from the latin religare which means to restrain. thats any religions purpose. to restrain. as a great philospher once said, “religion is opium for the masses.” smoke it if u got it my brother

35. BOSOX
    1:40 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

Wasn’t Kelenna Azubuike a Muslim?

36. Victory
    1:42 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

Christianity does not teach violence or hate. Not sure I could say the same thing about Islam. Also westboro baptist has nothing to do with Southern Baptists. Know what you are defending.

37. Musehobo
    1:50 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

This can be a healthy exercise for your body…if you’re not playing basketball all the time. This is a good way to end up dehydrated, and in the hospital. The goal of fasting would be to pray and focus on God when your hungry/thirsty. I doubt that engaging in competition, while fasting, would be recommended by any religion. This is an example of legalism. A fast should be consensual, not a set date/time that you HAVE to do it.

38. Judy
    1:53 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

Amen #36.

39. Musehobo
    1:55 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

@36 You may want to retract that. JESUS didn’t teach violence or hate (if we discount him ransacking the booths outside the temple). God, on the other hand, ordered his people to murder men, women, children, and sometimes cows in the Old Testament. however, sometimes he was merciful to the women. Sometimes they were only taken as wives/concubine (sex slaves). Some people like to ignore this fact when talking about Christianity.

40. Mass Confusion
    2:06 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

36. Malachi 1:3; Romans 9:13 God hated Esau. You should study more and post less.

41. Seven Eight Nine
    2:09 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

#39 You’re right, God told the Israelites to do those things, but it’s not like it was a surprise. Every time before God would order and invasion, he would ask his people to speak His word to those people and attempt to convert them. More times than not, however, they would not listen. God and Jesus both teach tolerance and love.

And also, Jesus didn’t “ransack” the booths INSIDE the temple. He didn’t steal or take anything, he just flipped all the tables and ran all shoppers and salesmen out. The church (temple) is no place for a market. Jesus and the entire New Testement teach against violence and hate, and that is what Christianity is. Christians follow the New Testement bc it replaces the Old.

42. Seven Eight Nine
    2:14 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

#40 Find one place in the entire Bible where a human author uses the word ‘hate’ to describe God’s feeling toward a person and therefore Christianity teaches hate? Might wanna think about that one some more.

43. Musehobo
    2:16 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

41) Yes, I told you we could “discount” the ransacking.

So I guess murder/mass genocide is cool, as long as you give them a chance to convert to your religion first. Hmm…sounds familiar. God reveals many sides of himself in the Bible. Yes, there is love. There is also God’s wrath. You can’t really ignore it, even though I know it helps you to believe it all. Do yourself a favor, and leave the apologetics to people who are better at it.

44. Jeffrey
    2:22 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

@ 41: Except that is what your god is, or at least believe him to be. Your god is either has a personality disorder (god, the holy ghost, and Jesus), or you all follow a polytheism because those are three different types of gods, so you ignore two of them, and follow one. But since god is both the father and son of Marry, he is Jesus, and also his father. So it sounds like to me your god has some kind of personality disorder, or rather, Marry created a big lie about giving birth while being a virgin because she didn’t wanted to be stoned to death.

It was easy to lie back then seeing that there was no technology, but lie about being a pregnant virgin today? People would look at you crazy and demand a DNA test.

All in all, religion is silly in a time of science where it is in a golden age era of enlightenment.

45. Musehobo
    2:22 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

1 Samuel 15: 1 Samuel said to Saul, “I am the one the Lord sent to anoint you king over his people Israel; so listen now to the message from the Lord. 2 This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy[a] all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’”

This stuff is ok to you, because its like an old story. These people/children aren’t real to you. If it was your family killed, you would feel differently.

46. Mass Confusion
    2:25 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

42. I see counting is not your strong suit. Gods word is his word. The whole Bible is written by human authors inspired by God. Nice try

47. JoeMoney333
    2:26 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

This is fun we have 44. and 41. Two people arguing on both sides of Christianity and both very uneducated on the topic. Kinda Fun to watch.

48. Seven Eight Nine
    2:28 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

#43 Sure I might not be the best at this apologetices stuff, but why are you so bitter toward this topic and anyone who disagrees with you? I understand if you and religion might not get along, but now we’re back to religious tolerance. Choose to be whatever kind of religious you wanna be (even if that is no religion) but the least you can do for the vast majority of people on the earth is respect their choice in religion as their religion instructs them to respect yours

49. Jeffrey
    2:29 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

@ 47: this is what you call denial

50. JoeMoney333
    2:32 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

Wouldn’t flattery yourself Jeffery I’m sure you understand as little about science as you do christian theology.

51. Victory
    2:34 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

40 Anybody can pick a verse and take it out of context. You need to study more and know what you are talking about. Also, I will post as much as I please.

52. Jeffrey
    2:35 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

@ 50: I know plenty about the silly Christian theology, whether you deny what it says in the bible is your problem.

As for science, we are always learning, I seek for more knowledge in the sciences each day. And I realize that I know nothing at all too.

53. YSR2KSR
    2:36 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

i heard that zimmerman was a christian soldier and killed traevon because he thought that martin was a muslim. or maybe it bc traevon was black on a tuesday

54. JoeMoney333
    2:44 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

52. Not to good at debates are we? “whether you deny what it says in the bible is your problem” – Not something I’ve said the whole time, but please, assume what my opinions are if it makes your case easier.

“As for science, we are always learning, I seek for more knowledge in the sciences each day.” Replace science with ‘Faith’ or ‘Christ’ and you sound awfully religious. See you have a faith, but it’s merely in other human beings instead of a god.

55. Musehobo
    2:48 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

48) You are deflecting. You can’t handle dealing with those verses because it contrasts your view of Christianity so harshly, so you throw up the “religious persecution” wall. The truth is, I was a Christian for 30 years. No one hurt my feelings. I didn’t leave because of the hypocrisy of the people. I examined my beliefs and they didn’t hold up. And yes, I’m a bit angry about it. I have to hear it everywhere I go in KY, and it gets a bit old.

56. Common sense
    2:52 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

@55 MOVE!

57. Seven Eight Nine
    3:02 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

#55 I’m not deflecting. I’m accepting that I don’t know everything about Christianity and I’ll examine your and other poster’s points at another time. I’m not going to argue about something I don’t know enough about and make myself sound ignorant. And if you don’t mind me asking, what about your beliefs didn’t hold up? I know Christianity is popular around here, but that’s no reason to go off every time it comes up in conversation. If it really bothers you that much, respectfully decline to talk about it. You’d be surprised at how many people will listen.

58. Musehobo
    3:07 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

56) Hahaha, so clever.

You all have no idea what persecution is. Someone disagreeing with you harshly on a blog is persecution? How about the Chrsitians that were tortured and died for their faith. Still haven’t heard an explanation from any of you as to why God ordered Genocide against women and children.

I’ll give you a hint: Your supposed to say they were guilty. They had previously wiped out a group of God’s people, and this was “justice” from God. Apologetics will teach you that “killing” isn’t the same as “murder”. Killing is lawful, and Saul was carrying out God’s judgement. only problem is…I have a hard time believing the women/children/oxen had much to do with it.

59. Musehobo
    3:14 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

So you’re telling me not to “talk about it”, but you also want me to tell you other parts of faith that didn’t hold up. What do you want? Me to shutup, or to share personal issues with you?

How about you stop posting until you can tell me why your God ordered men to kill babies. Maybe some of my anger stems from this little issue that Christians so lightly pass off as “well we can’t really ever understand God”.

60. Do whut?
    3:24 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

58) an apologist needs no explanation beyond God’s status as God to explain His decision to violently destroy part of his creation. The differentiation between “murder” and “killing” explains why the Israelites weren’t committing murder in carrying out the orders of God. It seems many atheists and anti-theists erroneously argue that God has violated His own law in such situations. He has not as his commandments were not constructed for God but for man. The Ten Commandments have no implications as it pertains to their creator anymore than a child’s bedtime applies to his parent.

61. Musehobo
    3:31 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

57) See, (60) has the right idea. God doesn’t have to abide by any rules, because he’s God. It’s a Bible thumper’s trump card. Question solved. All is right now. So I guess God is really into adultery and molesting children. Cause, if he were to do that, who are we to say “that’s wrong”.

Nice try. I can tell you’ve done this before. But it doesn’t work out. I’ve heard/said it all too. Eventually, I realized that the apologetics I believed were wrong.

62. Jeffrey
    3:38 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

LOL no, it isn’t the same thing with science. With science, you’re learning observable evidence through studies, whereas with faith, it isn’t quite that.

Faith requires you to put your belief in something without certainty, it requires you to believe in something without knowledge, or evidence. It’s literally an over glorification on gullibility.

Science isn’t that, I come to accept the facts that the sciences brings forth, through studies of observable events.

63. Do whut?
    3:39 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

58) I appreciate your passion and can certainly relate to profound questions concerning such Old Testament events but I’m afraid you are stuck in a role reversal with God when you attempt to dissect and judge His behavior from the standpoint of the created rather than the Creator. As for whether or not apologetics “hold up” I don’t think your issue is with apologetics so much as it is with the very concept of God. As in “who is this being that pretends to tell me what to do but has different standards for himself (or herself)?” This puts you in good company as it is the position of every child ever born concerning his parents.

64. Do whut?
    3:43 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

62) the faith of science is as basic as the belief in the scientific method. It works because you say it does not because there is observable evidence of same. Now I certainly have deep respect for science but I would remind you that science and religion aren’t mutually exclusive concepts and in fact science is neutral when it comes to the meta-physical and thus makes no assessment as to the reality or unreality of any god.

65. Musehobo
    3:55 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

63) Wrong. I submitted to God for 30 years. I have no problem with a (perfect) higher authority telling me what to do. Unfortunately, The “God” in Samuel doesn’t line up with his other teachings. You have a disconnect between this written document and real life.

If I organized a group of people tomorrow and blew Las Vegas off the map because I told you God wanted me to punish sin, you would call me crazy (and rightly so). But the fact is, the Bible lays the groundwork for this to be an act of valor.

So put yourself in Saul’s shoes. If tomorrow morning, God ordered you (heck, let’s say audibly) to kill women and children in his name you would either A) not do it, or B) Do it and be a psychopath. And let’s face it. We both know what you’d do. You’d go to a hospital and tell them you’re hearing voices (as you should). Because killing women and children, as you know damn well, is wrong. Ask any Christian.

66. MuslimCat
    3:55 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/08/08/2291334/muslim-brothers-who-left-pro-football.html Story from when two NFL players took off a season to fast. Came to Lexington and were hosted by the UK Muslim Student Association.

67. Jeffrey
    3:57 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

@ 64: Science is set to explain the natural world, anything that happens in the natural world, Science will study it, and then experiment with it. That’s what science does.

You want to put your ‘faith’ in science, so you call it. So how about you jump off a building and see how gravity works? Because science can already tell you what happens, because it’s been STUDIED. Science doesn’t make claims, they observe, study, and practice, they then explain things that can be predicted.

Faith isn’t that.

68. MuslimCat
    3:59 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

http://abdullahbros.com/2012/08/day-20-lexington-ky/ Blog post from the bros’ website. They said Lexington was their favorite spot!

69. Musehobo
    4:00 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

And with that, I have to opt out of this convo. It’s time to go home and I have stuff to do.

70. Do whut?
    4:11 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

65) I’m not sure where to start and you have already moved on (hope you have a good day!) but two quick points: 1-if God told me to kill women and children and I did it by definition I would not be a psychopath. 2-you say absolutely killing women or children is wrong yet you say you don’t believe in God. Then upon what or whom do you draw this absolute? Is it wrong because you say so or many Christians do or the guy at the barber shop? This again appears to be positioning yourself (or others) as God because the Ibrahimic god acts in a way of which you don’t approve.

71. Do whut?
    4:15 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

67) the fact that I believe science to be a faith does not mean I don’t believe in that faith. The gravity argument doesn’t really address my previous statement but we can certainly agree as to what will generally happen if we go leaping off of tall buildings. I don’t really consider it an attack on science to call it a faith.

72. Jeffrey
    5:03 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

@ 71: Learn what faith means:

faith [feɪθ]
    n
    1. strong or unshakeable belief in something, esp without proof or evidence

Science isn’t that for the last time, and if you are going to keep on speaking this nonsense, then I have no desire to argue my point with you.

73. Do whut?
    5:12 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

72) Since the discussion seems to be upsetting you for some reason I am more than happy to drop it.

74. Jeffrey
    9:04 pm July 19, 2013 Permalink

Get over yourself, I’m far from upset.