A Win Is A Win

(AP Photo)

It wasn’t exactly how Kentucky wanted it to go down, but the Cats are walking out of Auburn Arena with a W. Despite an ugly, ugly first half, Kentucky escaped with a 68-53 victory in its first road game in over a month. The 15-point victory was one point shy of covering the Vegas spread. That’s the 8th straight game Kentucky has failed to cover.

Rebounding was the story in this one as Auburn out-rebounded Kentucky 29-25 in the losing effort. At one point early in the second, Auburn had more offensive rebounds than Kentucky had defensive rebounds in the entire game. It’s hard to win ballgames with a stat like that. Luckily, Doron Lamb and Darius Miller got hot late to boost the Cats to victory.

Kentucky had four players in double-figures, while Terrence Jones continued to move back towards his old ways. Jones played well on both ends of the court, to the delight of UK fans.

Beisner will be by shortly with more from the game. Use the comments section to chat about it until then.

Article written by Drew Franklin

79 Comments for A Win Is A Win

1. Sloppy Win
    10:19 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

A win on the road is good! FIRST!

2. Big Roy
    10:20 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

You can come down off the ledge now guys!

3. tdogg4033011
    10:21 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

I’ll take it, just like all road games when UK comes to town ….. Auburn was a 20 point
    better team than normal tonight.

4. Steve Fitts
    10:22 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Yes, that was an ugly win, but not nearly as ugly as U of L’s loss yesterday!

5. bung
    10:24 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

they fought like Wildcats…

6. Tebow 3:16
    10:25 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Great win! Keep the road win steak going at Knoxville.

GO CATS!!

7. Bruski06
    10:25 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Uk has some tough games ahead on the road… Playing at tenn, Florida, mississippi state, and vandy will be a true test for them…Go Cats!!!

8. WordtoYourMudder
    10:25 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Glad we won. But don’t like win at all costs by playing Teague. He shouuld have been kicked out of the game for the Nut shot. Punk move by Teague and gutless move by Cal.

9. Big Perm
    10:25 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

They may never cover another spread. They don’t play hard enough unless it’s a rival game or a weekend CBS or ESPN game. Auburn is awful – PERIOD – and they hung around way too long.

10. CoachCal
    10:25 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

OK guys, I have no idea what to do against a Zone.
    I am an NBA guy.
    I am open to suggestions!

11. yeah first!!
    10:25 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

how many times did teague (little t) get beat off the dribble and get left by his man?? causing side help to come off their man. really… what is the upside to this kid?

12. InternationalPhilosophy
    10:25 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Pretty wins are nice.
    Ugly wins are money.

13. BlueMike
    10:26 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

How much you want to bet we’ll see boat loads of that 2-3 zone the remainder of our games? Couldn’t find an answer for it until later in the game and were finally able to penetrate and get the ball inside a bit. Spent the first half jacking up long shots behind the arc that just weren’t falling and then failing to get the ball rebounding, that hurt us the worst. A win is a win, could care less if we covered or not. Football you must win by a large margin to affect rankings, bball is different, a win counts, no style points necessary. Now get ready, doesn’t get easier with a road game next against those low down dirty snitches at UT. Go Big Blue!

14. Kevin R
    10:26 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

A win is win, we are young, but talented and darius lamb and jones must carry us settle guys. I was very impressed the last 6 minutes of the game! Go Blue Big! Great win boys!

Bring on the dirty vols and that ugly ass hound dog the like o play dress up with, may to swing by the supermarket, and pay my respects to Bruce Pearl, and to get some party supplies for the noon time start on Saturday!

15. Dennis Weaver
    10:27 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Loved Jones tonight. Thought the flagrant on Teague was one of the worst calls of the year.

16. gat4496
    10:27 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

It has sort a dawned on me (Cal + Super Young Talent) = wins. If he kept them a little longer then the formula would be (Cal + Super Experienced Talent) = Blowout wins.

17. horny uk fan
    10:27 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Don’t be dumb #8!

18. David from San Diego
    10:29 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Terrence Jones carried UK to a victory tonight. No one should be surprised unless you were in the crowd that was hypercritical of him while he was injured and struggled in a few games. Glad we have TJ. Go CATS!

19. CoachCal
    10:29 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Help me guys!!!!
    I do not want to Lose to Syracuse

20. Really
    10:29 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

15) He hit the guy in the nuts. chris Paul did this when he was at Wake and got ejected. I was surprised Cal put him back in the game.

21. road_warri0r
    10:31 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Anyone else cringe at some of Joe Deans comments…ie “string music”….really was HARD listening to him call the game 🙁

22. AntBanks
    10:32 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

15) I bet you wouldn’t feel that way if you were the one who got slapped in the ballsack.

23. gcat4496
    10:32 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

It wasn’t so much the zone as it was Auburn killing us on the glass. Once we started getting on the boards we pulled away. Teague smacked the Auburn guy in the sack. That is why he got Td up. Maybe it was inadvertent but apparently the refs did not see it that way.

24. tdogg4033011
    10:32 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

15) It was a bad call. Teague did put his hand up and try to distract him as he shot,
    but I dont think he meant to hit him in the mid section.

25. PaintItBlue
    10:33 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Drew leading with the stat about the failure to cover makes me think he’s lost a few bets on our cats – I feel you man.

26. Pitino's Pant Leg
    10:33 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Actually, I think that was the 11th consecutive game they failed to cover the spread, not 8th.

27. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    10:33 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

is there a post game radio show tonight?

28. john4uk
    10:33 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Auburn played the game of their lives tonight.They played inspired basketball,and were very agressive.If some of you experts had bothered to listen to Joe Dean,you would have learned the difference in tonights game than the one they played Saturday against Vandy.

29. CoachCal
    10:34 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Matt!
    Please tell me how to attack a ZONE!!
    I have only coached 30 years.

30. I hate people who hate on Teague
    10:35 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Teague did not hit the guy in the nuts!! Bull sh&$!!!! Good road win and bbn reppin tonight on the road good turn out for the fans.

31. Bubba Earl
    10:36 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Road_warrior, I agree, he is an absolute dweeb trying to keep his dad’s legacy going. Jr. needs to go somewhere else with those comments, no talent!

32. Gcat4496
    10:37 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Speaking of Joe Dean, Terry Meiner had a hilarious spoof on 840 AM of Joe Dean calling in. That is the Joe Dean from the 80s invented the phrase “String Music.” Dean was ripping Rick Pitino saying I bet he doesn’t send his boy out to pick up his paychecks. I was laughing so hard I was brought to tears.

33. BigPerm
    10:38 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

I want another national title but this is not the team to bring it. I hate to say that but I just don’t think the attitudes, shooting, point guard play, and overall team defense will win us 6 straight in the NCAA tourney.

34. Catsincebirth
    10:39 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Dont know that Teague nut shot him.They were flopping all night.If he got a substantial shot in the jewels, he would not have neen able to play for a while.

35. James K
    10:41 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Not trying to be a jerk, but seriously… who gives a crap about the spread? You guys talk about the spread CONSTANTLY. Do you realize that? Maybe I’m just so uninvolved in the sports gambling world that it’s completely irrelevant to me, but I don’t think it says anything about team one way or another.

36. Syracuseloveslittleboys
    10:41 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

I see the cuse fans have come over from the espn boards they think they are a contendor with their 1 championship in Jimmy Bendemovers 34 years

37. derp
    10:42 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Drew Franklin:

“Mark my words: Kentucky will cover. Finally.”

stop posting

38. KSR1080Fan
    10:44 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

a win in Super Bowl II in the books. Next up. Super Bowl III Saturday.

39. yeah first!!
    10:44 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

for those who didn’t see teague hit the guy in the nuts……. get glasses. Or just get off the kool aid.

starting line up should be lamb, miller, jones, MKG and davis. yeah it sucks not to have a true point but not as bad as watching teague get beat off the dribble…. what horrible defense this kid plays

40. BlueBlood
    10:45 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Damn!!! Why does Wiltjer Wilt???
    I am ashamed to be white.

41. BigPerm
    10:45 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Lots of people give a crap about the spread James K! What rock you been hiding under?

42. Blueball'n
    10:45 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Davis jones and mkg are rebounding machines but sometimes the the ball gets away from them because they r tapping it away from each other

43. BlueFins
    10:49 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Half way through the season and I’m having my doubts. Filled with promise prior to season, but looking to me like a Tubby team with All-Americans. Have we started using the dribble drive offense I keep hearing so much about?

44. RyAn
    10:50 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

I just want to talk about chubb! i feel that he was a master of the hardwood tonight. His penetration to the hole, and how he handled those double teams was a thing to behold! Yeah, he may have double dribbled the ball between his legs, and got yanked on by davis at the end, but his stroke from the foul line was a thing of beauty! i think the announcer said it best at the end when he said…” This one will be a HARD one for them to SWALLOW!” LONG LIVE CHUBB!

45. InternationalPhilosophy
    10:50 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Any coach in America would take UK’s top six and take his chances against the field in the NCAA tourney.
    They’re learning how to beat a motivated opponent that keeps it close.
    They’re learning how to close out nailbiter games, which might be the most important quality of a tournament team.

46. RyAn
    10:51 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

did i mention that chubb was a great ball handler?

47. Bulldawg
    10:51 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

are you nerds trying to do a NotJerryTipton post or are you serious? If you are serious I bet you never thought last years team would go to the final four. You cannot predict how this team will be playing in march. This team has a better shot at winning a national title than the previous 2. I think everyone needs to chill out and understand that auburn played their best game of the year AT home and UK played subpar…AND still won by double digits. all these negative nancys are killin my win buzz.

48. BigPerm
    10:53 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Chubb had a chubby tonight and will get more penetration to the hole with some hot Auburn chick later tonight!

49. Jorts
    10:54 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

harrelson played well tonight! BBN!

50. xoxoxo
    10:54 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

So what will the spread be sat.?

51. dave
    10:54 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

boogie – 21 & 19 tonight
    jorts – 15 pts (13 min)
    wall – 11, 8, 5

52. Culver
    10:55 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

I know it’s only half way through the season, but I wonder how many of these “potential” NBA players will leave after this season?

53. scout66
    10:55 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Jones may be playing better, but he still does not block his man out.

54. CommentSectionBlows
    10:57 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

So tired of the Teague haters, Cal can’t figure out the zone and we’re not going far crowd. STFU. we sucked on the road last year until the end the year. They’ll be fine.

55. John Wilmhoff
    10:58 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Did anybody see what Allen Cutler had to say on facebook after the game? Something about touching 1,000 boobs, lol

56. ninesec95
    10:59 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

I agree # 47. Auburn play there best game of the year. Chubbs only avg 9.7 points per game and he had that by halftime. Road game SEC just get the W.

57. Skeps
    10:59 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Cal finally ran a 1-3-1 offense against the zone in the second half. That led to a couple of big threes that opened the game up. He scrapped the DDMO in the second half. Finally.

58. C Ray
    10:59 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Some of you’ll act like Teague shanked one of the dudes nuts out, when in fact all he did was jerk out a pubic hair.. The dude shouldn’t have put em in his face.

59. DustinUK
    11:02 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

20.) That was a weak flagrant foul. He tried to do the press on a guys stomach as he shoots move and missed low. It wasn’t a slap or a hit it was minor contact and the refs missed it so it’s over. Going back after another play had already been run was a joke.

60. Skeps
    11:03 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Teague definite nut shot.

61. Trolls_begone!!
    11:06 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

We won, on the road, by 15 points! WTF with all the negativity. You people will look like fools at the year unfolds because Teague is starting to get it together. The kid has talent, an ups…he just needed a little time, for crying out loud, this was his first SEC road game!! He is just now starting to be a college player! The negativity around him is just stupidity. Same fools who were banging on Jones…how about you stand by your ignorance while he turns into a double-double machine in SEC play? Hmm, you just do that.

This team is awesome, we have a GREAT year going!! Of COURSE they need to improve, but damnation this is a fantastic group of players…who is performing very well. We are in the middle of another golden age at UK- you dumbasses better get it together and start enjoying it!

62. ninesec95
    11:07 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Matt Jones we did win by 15 on the road in the SEC. It’s still early.

63. Catsfando
    11:08 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Teague drives me crazy every game. The guy just does not learn from his mistakes, plays selfish, and has problems guarding other point guards. He absolutely did shoot the guy in the jewels and appeared to be aiming at them when doing it. It was the cheapest of shots. I wonder why it took Jones a half to decide to hit the boards? Gilchrist had probably his worst game as a cat but was fighting through it all night. I did ask myself why he didn’t jut shoot the wide open 10 footers he was getting in the middle of the zone instead of trying to drive every time? Just a thought, since I watched the Goose kill Duke with that shot all game long for the Championship. Every game on the road is going to be like this, no one is going to roll over. We’ve got to learn to be, heart snatchers and kill them before they can catch their breath.

64. kycatman
    11:17 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

At # 39, you seem to have everything figured out about Teagues. I guess we should just all lobby for him to transfer to another school or something and try to get you hired to be a recruiting coach, ya think? My money says he will make people like you eat crow by the end of the season! As far as his nutsack shot, he didnot hit the player hard enough to make him fall to the floor and I honestly do not believe he meant to hit him there anyway. He simply extended his arm in a split second and it just so happened to be at that location on the kids body, strictly unintentional. So, chill out people on Little T, he has already shown signs of improvement the last few games and his 3 ball is getting better so, just chill and GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!!!

65. Kanterbury Tales
    11:18 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

We play 5 on 8 against a team so out of their minds their sputum exploded- and we won by double digits. We are the #2 team in the country, and if not for a last second shot in another 5-on-8-outta-their-minds game, we would be #1 and undefeated.

No, we’re not perfect, but some of you people- well, I know some of you are UL or IU posers; possibly Tipton too.

66. CoachCal
    11:42 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

Zone: Cats choke!
    Sorry, but we are only half way through the season,
    and Syracuse looms ahead.

67. He Hate Me
    11:54 pm January 11, 2012 Permalink

People it’s ONE game. Not every win will be pretty and I saw the Cats grow up a bit in the second half and make the plays needed to pull out the win in a hostile environment. Quit critiquing every little mistake. It’s super annoying.

68. Money in my pocket....
    12:07 am January 12, 2012 Permalink

Glad my brother-in-law only took 10 pts. I was getting worried.

69. WKY Dude
    12:12 am January 12, 2012 Permalink

#8 (WordtoYourMudder)…you’ve obviously never played basketball. Call it dirty if you want, but that stuff goes on all the time…both ways. You have no idea the amount of BS that goes on underneath the basket. It’s not a sissy sport.

70. ikie12pts
    12:37 am January 12, 2012 Permalink

These baby cats give me stomach cramps everytime they play. They’re young and I know they’re just learning Division 1 Ball, but jeez louise, it’s just too nerve wracking.

71. CAUKFAN
    12:40 am January 12, 2012 Permalink

Who gives a crap about the Vegas spread? What is it with this site? This is college basketball not horse racing.

72. DrewFranklinbetsPennies
    1:04 am January 12, 2012 Permalink

The spread was 17 anyways, not 16, you cant go by what a game opens at, just what it closes at…but since Drew is worried about spreads, just bet your pennies on the other team if it’s that important

73. Drew Franklin
    1:57 am January 12, 2012 Permalink

73 – $220 may be pennies to you but it’s not pennies to me.

74. Blind Hog
    3:08 am January 12, 2012 Permalink

Replay after replay and no proof Teague bagged his man.You think a little acting to put someone on the line for taking a shot that was not going to go in?Plus put another foul on our starting point guard.You know the way some of you act I think you are Cardinal fans.Get off the young man’s back for a spell and support him after all he is a Wildcat!!!

75. Al B. Sure
    7:43 am January 12, 2012 Permalink

75… exactly!

20, 22, 39, 61, 64: No, they showed the replay several times. Even the announcers said repeatedly that they did not see anything. Some people are making too big of a deal about it. I don’t think it looked intentional at all, and there was hardly anything there. I know a lot of trolls are going to make the rounds and start the whole “Teague is a thug” movement, ala Demarcus Cousins, but let’s get real. There wasn’t much there other than an Auburn player overselling it and a call being made way late on something that was barely there.

76. BetteroffBLUE
    11:10 am January 12, 2012 Permalink

Teauge should have been thrown out of the game after thumping the AU player in the groin. Watched it a few times and he did it on purpose, just cause he got beat off the pick. Kentucky is better than that, we don’t need thugs on the team. Leave that to the other teams. Hope Cal saw it and does something about it.

77. steve
    1:04 pm January 12, 2012 Permalink

who cares about the spread

78. TheColoradoWildcat
    3:07 pm January 12, 2012 Permalink

78 – I don’t, for sure. That being said, I sent Matt an email last week. Maybe he did not believe what I was telling him; however, I have been an avid Cat fan since the 1960-61 season.

What I have observed over these many years is the Wildcat’s propensity for “not” covering the spread. There was a time when I tracked some 150 division 1 basketball teams, game by game. I would take into account where the games were being played, records, common opposition, etc. I would also check the spread from Vegas for the UK games. It is “amazing” how many times the Wildcats do NOT cover the spread.

I would never bet against the Cats. Never. Period. That being said, I do believe there is a lot of money to be made betting against the Spread. A lot of money.