A transcript of Sergey Karasev’s interview with Shane Battier

Sergey Karasev was on American soil for only 12 hours yesterday before returning to his native Russia to prepare for the World University games. The 19-year-old arrived in New York City at 1:00 p.m. Thursday afternoon and was gone by 1:00 a.m. that night. During his brief trip to the United States yesterday, he was drafted 19th overall by the Cleveland Cavaliers, and more importantly, gave KSR’s favorite interview in draft history.

Below you’ll find a transcript of Sergey’s brief interview with Shane Battier, who was equally bad, if not worse. And so you know, I didn’t expect the kid to have perfect English — my interview in Russia would be much worse — but that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it. It’s clear he knew a handful of words and phrases related to the moment, so he threw them all together the first chance he got…

When asked about his father, a former star on the Russian National Team…

“Oh, I think now he watch, he watch this, he watch draft; he like, a lot of emotions have, so, same like me, stay in shake David Stern’s hand, so that, that’s crazy. I can feel it now that I’m NBA now, so, but, I think couple monthses are gonna feel it.”

On if he’s had any conversations with fellow Russian Andrei Kirilenko…

“Oh he say like if you’re gonna have chance, you must to go straight. Don’t like, don’t do nothing. Just go. Just like, he go, and now he like really big star in Europe, so. I want to be like him, maybe, be bigger.”

Karasev’s struggle with our language was overshadowed by Battier’s “Well that’s great” response.

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for A transcript of Sergey Karasev’s interview with Shane Battier

1. UK Wildcat
    5:19 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Its funny because he’s from another country with a totally different culture and language.

2. shut up three drew rules
    5:33 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Dont listen to him drew u rock man.

3. yesterday's wine
    5:39 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Well, we know how his English is. How’s your Russian Drew?

4. the Big Dog
    5:55 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

I saw the interview and Battier was terrible. Sergey’s English will improve. Having been to many foreign countries, I admire someone having the guts to go on national tv and be interviewed in a foreign language.

5. Old Pogue Bourbon
    6:03 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Why do you dumba$$es read this site? Funny is funny no matter what the circumstances. I’m from E. Kentucky…I laugh at myself and others when something funny comes out of our mouths.

Y’all (hee hee) take yourselves way too serious.

6. Louisville1Cal4
    6:08 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

In Soviet Russia, car drives you!

7. PhilUK18
    6:23 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Most people in Kentucky speak non-standard English? That’s news to me, as I’ve lived here since I started undergrad (I just graduated), and English around Lexington seems pretty normal. If you hate Kentucky as much as you seem to, then why are you even here? Maybe try having a sense of humor sometimes, it’ll help you be more well liked and stop you from being such a tedious bore of a human being.

8. Punterman
    8:34 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Ryan Tydlacka’s twin!

9. Rex Wright
    9:03 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Drew, give the kid a break. He’s living the American dream. Please DO NOT interview me in Russian.

10. IgnoreMe
    10:22 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

I can’t help it – every time I see an Eastern European citizen interviewed on USA television, I think about Borat. Does that mean I’m a bad world citizen? I wish the kid well and hope he’s the next Lebron. Actually, I wish every ball player was the next Lebron, but how boring would that be for the sport?

11. Kevin C.
    11:09 am June 29, 2013 Permalink

I understood him better than I do many black athletes….