A Timeline of our Journey to Bridge City

Remember that time we got the brilliant idea to pack up the KSR compound and head north for the Bridgeport Regional in the Women’s NCAA Tournament?  This is how it went…

**********

8:45 p.m. — Matt left Louisville.

Matt was the emcee for the Mr. and Ms. Basketball ceremony in Louisville on Friday night. Once the awards were presented and the pasta was digested, he hopped in the car and drove straight to Lexington to meet Hayley, Wilder and me.

10:09 p.m. — The four of us met in Lexington.

And began to pack the car.

10:12 p.m. — Still packing…

Hayley thought this is a month-long journey, apparently.

10:16 p.m. — Somehow, some way, we fit all of the luggage in the back.

Sadly, Wilder’s sixth and seventh pairs of shoes were left behind.

10:17 p.m. — On the road!!!

#wheelsup Bridgeport, Connecticut!!!

10:34 p.m. — Wilder had to pee.

wilder

I remember my first road trip.

10:41 p.m. — The first Conway Twitty song of the night.

“I See The Want To In Your Eyes”

10:45 p.m. — The second Conway Twitty song of the night.

“Never Been This Far Before”

10:50 p.m. — The third Conway Twitty song of the night.

“Tight Fittin’ Jeans”

10:52 p.m. — My first suicide attempt of the night.

The child safety lock is the only reason I’m sitting here typing this right now. I’d be on the pavement somewhere around Mt. Sterling if not for the inability to open my door.

12:15 a.m. — Welcome to West Virginia.

Also knows as the beginning of the worst drive in all of America.

1:50 a.m. — Pit stop in Big Otter, West Virginia.

Snap into a Slim Jim!!!!

2:23 a.m. — Beyonce?

Yup, Beyonce.

Sing it, Wilder!

2:36 a.m. — I started reading Jay Bilas’ book, Toughness.

….

2:38 a.m. — I regretted buying Jay Bilas’ book, Toughness.

I kept reading, though. I thought it would help pass the time.

3:27 a.m. — I no longer own Jay Bilas’ book, Toughness.

People I trusted told me it’s a good book. I no longer trust those people.

3:54 a.m. — Welcome to Maryland.

There is nothing better than that tingling sensation you get when exiting West Virginia.

Hey, look! Maryland wildlife!

4:12 a.m. — Howard Stern radio

One of the best Sirius stations kept us awake and entertained over the next few hours. Who knew James Franco was such a scholar???

7:00 a.m. — We debate how long he’d survive if we left Wilder at a gas station in Kutzville, Pennsylvania.

The sun was coming up, we were slap happy, and Wilder needed to pee for the 41st time. A hypothetical situation had him living out of the Kutzville Sleep Inn and working at the Nestle factory. I can think of worse ways to live.

8:40 a.m. — Breakfast at Strawberry Place in Nyack, New York.

A recommendation from a Twitter follower put us at a fruity diner in Nyack, New York, home of Stephen Baldwin and Rosie O’Donnell.

I took three bites of this and surrendered…

strawberry-place
Pancake Sundae

9:38 a.m. — Matt’s eyes lit up when we passed the WWE building in Greenwich, CT.

Rich people everywhere.

10:14 a.m. — BRIDGE CITY!!!!!

We arrived.

10:21 a.m. — Time to change clothes…

… in the Holiday Inn lobby downtown. I brushed my teeth with bottled water on the sidewalk.

10:41 a.m. — Check-in at the arena.

Don’t pass out, Hayley.  Look alive.

11:16 a.m. — Hello, Alan Cutler.

Hello, Matthew Mitchell.

12:00 p.m. — UK/Delaware Tip-off

Elena Delle Donne, you have our full attention.

12:16 p.m. — Hayley fell asleep at the table.

True story.

2:14 p.m. — Kentucky won.

Nap time!!!

Article written by Drew Franklin

25 Comments for A Timeline of our Journey to Bridge City

1. sorryimissedit
    8:11 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Glad I stayed home!

2. Catlanta
    8:25 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Pankcake sundae. Damn. Elena Delle Donne. Damn.

3. SeaCat
    8:31 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Too much info about Wilder…

4. Good evening everyone. I’ll be on the show Monday with more stuff to talk about. Drew, are you excited to speak with me?

5. nybrasky
    8:34 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

I’ve done that drive many times. It gets easier/better each time. It’s also better solo.

25 more minutes & you could’ve taken my advice for breakfast at Jake’s Place in Darien.

Also, WWE is in Stamford. Fun fact: There’s a liquor store across the street from WWE HQ that you used to be guaranteed to see at least one wrestler at any time you went.

6. H.A. Milton
    8:40 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

If you guys are headed back in the morning you should have breakfast at the Lakeside Diner on Longridge Rd in Stamford…the fresh donuts are the bomb.com (so are the chocolate chip pancakes and the view) i

7. Radio Ron
    8:49 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Wichita State is destroying Ohio St. leading by 20 in the 2nd half.
    And, if BBN was wondering WHO might replace Coach Cal (whenever he leaves)we might consider Gregg Marshall. His half-time and pre-game speeches are extremely motivational.

8. H.A. Milton
    8:52 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Travis Ford will be Cal’s successor…

9. Gypsy
    9:00 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

What a road trip! But so glad you are there for us! Really enjoyed the live blog during the game today. (Any chance we get to hear Matt sing the “Hump” song again?)

10. yepyep
    9:05 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Wichita seems to be folding like a lawn chair under the pressure.

11. The Word
    9:08 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Go Duke!

12. Truth
    9:11 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Hello little Jimmies.

13. Carpe Diem
    9:18 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

What does Hayley look like? Hottie?

14. Dukesucks
    9:21 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

7, I was actually thinking those were pretty weak speeches. Whenever Cal leaves (hopefully a long time from now), I think we go up to Indy and make a ridiculous offer to get Brad Stevens and have a coach for a long, long time.

15. Catsfan55
    9:32 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Only bad thing about wanting duke to beat Louisville is that it would be dukes 16th appearance in final four passing us for appearances. Louisville will beat duke and then should lose in final four.

16. bluey
    9:46 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

If you look at some of Hayley’s twitter pics, she looks to be somewhat of a naughty little girl.

17. Rae
    9:48 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

14. Or Cal can stay until Orlando Antigua goes off to wherever and becomes a seasoned head coach, continuing our style. I think Brad Stevens would be a culture shock for our fan base, since he and Cal are two very different personalities.

18. Shocked
    10:56 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Wilder is a male?

19. Matt, Drew, Wilder
    10:59 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

13, 16, Hayley is hot, but unapproachable…
    No one knows who she is saving it for…

20. Eugene DuBow
    11:03 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Strawberry Place in Nyack? Why didn’t you call? I’m the lone (I think) UK grad in Nyack. St. Pl. is a 3 minute walk to my house. If you return you must let me know in advance.

21. Dr. Tom
    11:07 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

What’s up with all the who’s going to replace Cal stuff?? He will be at UK to at least our 12th championship.

22. Wall2Cousins
    6:27 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

“Its ok go with him Haley,Da,Da”!!

23. Jeff Garlin
    9:29 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Is Wilder his actual name. If so, it’s a cool name!

24. Wilder Treadway
    10:51 am March 31, 2013 Permalink

Yes, Wilder is my real name…shouts to my hippie parents

25. TT's Fake Boobs
    5:25 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

Nice pic of Wilder but I really wish he would have turned around and shown us all his pee-pee