A statement from President Todd on the Kanter ruling

“I’m very disappointed in what appears to me to be an inconsistent decision that leaves an outstanding young man without any recourse. It’s very disappointing that this young man, who along with his family intended to do everything the right way and in compliance with the rules, won’t be able to pursue his dream of playing at UK and in intercollegiate athletics. As an NCAA board member, I continue to be puzzled and confused by the reasoning behind this decision, which seems to be an inconsistent and arbitrary application of the rules. It is unfortunate and disappointing that Enes and his family have been negatively impacted by this process. It is certainly a matter I will continue to try to understand and question in my remaining time on the board as part of an organization, whose stated purpose is to put families and student athletes first.”

– Lee T. Todd, Jr

Article written by Thomas Beisner

132 Comments for A statement from President Todd on the Kanter ruling

1. Big D
    7:03 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Excellent statement.

2. ILCatsFan
    7:04 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Go Lee Todd!

3. tnRNcatfan
    7:06 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

All I can say is WOW…

4. FREE ENES
    7:06 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Very, very nicely said Mr. Todd! The NCAA has become an absolute moronic joke.

5. Boyd Baker
    7:06 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Great response by Mr. Todd, that’s about all he can say at this point. I think we’re all confused by this “decision”, which seems to have political motivations behind it.

6. Brandon
    7:06 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I guess Enes should have stolen laptops, sold his jerseys for profit, cheated on his wife and paid for the abortion, been arrested for drugs and/or assault, lied about recruiting violations, choked his players, choked his coach, thrown chairs at referees, solicited money from Mississippi State, cheated on his exams, and taken “independent study” classes instead of actual classes. Then maybe he’d be eligible.

7. P.PattersonISwalkingthruthatdoor
    7:06 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

BOOM

Kentucky isn’t pulling any punches on this one

8. kyjoe
    7:06 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I might have to drive to UK and seek out Mr. Todd just so I can shake the mans hand…well said, Sir.

9. Tubby's gopher
    7:07 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

You tell’em Lee.

10. Pete Thamel
    7:07 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

C’mon Lee Jr., You know ENES took the ca$h and is a pro and my article is the reason he isn’t playing. And for Matt Jones im sick of all the tweets my way. Keep it up and see what happens.

11. Cat fan
    7:07 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Hit the nail on the head.

12. afidler
    7:07 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

WOW. Succinct and perfectly stated. I’m impressed to see Mr. Todd voice his belief so confidently.

Hat’s off to you, Sir.

13. mdlUK1
    7:07 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Bravo Mr Todd!!!! Bravo!!!

14. stevied
    7:08 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

The Underkanter will always be one of ours.

15. ltylerj
    7:09 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

GET EM LEE!!!!

I’m glad nobody in UK is backing down from this and acting like it’s just another thing…It’s far from it.

16. LousyvilleCat
    7:09 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Power corrupts
    And absolute power
    ……
    Yeah it fits

17. Rodgers
    7:09 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Great statement!

Good news is the NCAA can’t stop what Cal is building

Davis/Teague/Gilchrist coming next year

and hopefully we keep either Lamb or Knight and Liggins/Miller

18. Dancer
    7:10 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Bravo Lee Todd!

19. EyewearMan
    7:11 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

FREE ELOY!

20. Tubby's gopher
    7:11 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

10) I will crush you.

21. droppedpasses
    7:11 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Thank you Dr. Todd…I didn’t think you had a pair & I now stand corrected. Keep the heat on.

22. bigdinky
    7:11 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Thank you Re Todd. You did something right.

23. TheFakeJamaalMagloire
    7:11 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Give em Hell Dr. Todd!!!

There are lies, damn lies, and the NCAA

24. deer boss
    7:12 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

now we wait to see how the national media reacts.

25. Wayne
    7:13 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Hopes that Dr Todd follows up on this situation to the ninth degree,, Maybe the colleges need to take some control back from the stuffed shirts of the NCAA

26. gram
    7:14 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

the NCAA is a freaking joke let all these other fools play SELBY n NEUTON and not let ENES KANTER play is and absolute joke …. the deserves a look at and need to get there guidelines stright …

just like going downtown and trying to get something done its worthless and waste of time UK LOVES YOU KANTER GO BIG BLUE

27. Ukstudent
    7:15 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Wooooo Dr. Todd!! BBN still loves Enes. & you!

28. BPsycho
    7:15 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

YES! This is exactly what needed to be said! I’m in awe really.

GREAT JOB by Lee T. Todd, Jr..

29. justice power
    7:16 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Take em to the mat Mr. Todd.

30. Oliver Simmons
    7:16 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Well done Lee Todd.

31. Kevin Probus
    7:18 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Far Tubby!

32. echo 1
    7:19 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I am tired of the nice politically correct responses. I want someone from UK to call the NCAA a corrupt pile of trash. Enough of this civility crap. Someone needs to really bring it, throw in some name calling, cursing, the works.

33. Computer Blue
    7:19 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I think what we learned from this and which is fairly scary is that for whatever reason the NCAA hates Coach Cal.

UK should leave the NCAA and let it collapse under the weight of its own corruption like Rome.

34. QUICKIE RICKEY
    7:19 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

IT’s very simple. We can boycott the NCAA by refusing to purchase any swag with the NCAA holigram attached. HANDS ON ORIGINALS sells items that are blemished without the holigram.
    DO NOT PURCHASE ANY NCAA TOURNEY TICKETS. You have to hit them in the wallet.
    Who’s with me?

35. Hank Hill
    7:19 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

That dab nabbit ncaa has as many issues as a magazine stand.

36. Helvete
    7:22 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I hope that the Kanter family does take the NCAA to court over this. It won’t change the fact that Kanter will never play a minute for UK, but hopefully at that point true justice can be served in this matter. I hope the kid goes on to the NBA and has a killer career.

37. jimmieukfan
    7:23 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Well stated President Todd. As a member of the board you can be the first member of it to recommend the demise of the NCAA. It’s coming anyways, why not speed up the process?

38. Cali Cat
    7:24 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I will be attending the Notre Dame at Marquette game on Monday. (Thanks to a co-worker season ticket holder). I will do my best to get on Big Monday ESPN with a Free Enes sign. Any suggestions? I want it to bite at the NCAA.

39. Maesh
    7:24 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Very well stated sir.

40. Cville Wildcat
    7:25 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Kudos to Lee Todd! You are 100% correct with your statement. Retire the 0 jersey!

41. Uklpw
    7:26 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

@petethamel – suck it!! @kysportsradio speaks openly & honest from TRUE facts. Your only looking 4 ur big break. Only 1 suffering Enes #bbn

42. Han
    7:27 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

34) No, we cannot abandon our duty as the Big Blue Mist.

However, any and all people willing to wear Free Enes shirts should be encouraged.

Nebulous Corrupt Amoral Assholes (NCAA)

43. Hunter1249
    7:29 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Appropriate response.

44. Damnit!
    7:30 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

The NCAA will not let us play with our Enes. So I say we cut off their enes!

45. KRAMER
    7:30 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I hope Oregon beats the crap out of Auburn!!!!

46. Bilhelm
    7:31 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Boo NCAA

47. Mark Liptak
    7:33 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Well said by Dr. Todd.

Mark Liptak

48. Juan4UK
    7:33 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

WOW!!!!! Never have I heard a University come out with such a statement against the NCAA. Let alone a University president. Unbelievable! I am impressed.

49. WildcatsOne
    7:33 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Okay BBN. We need to get behind this in any capacity that will bring down Emmert and those other jerks. I am pledging $100 to the Kanters for their legal expenses in filing a lawsuit agains the NCAA.

Furthermore, I would encourage everyone to write Sen. Mitch McConnell and our other congressmen to reqeuest the possibility of a congressional investigatioin of the NCAA for issues of anti-trust, racketeering and corruption.

The Big Blue Nation is a powerful force….let’s show those nimwits we will not be pushed around.

50. kill
    7:36 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I think that a protest should happen in front of NCAA headquarters….Its unbelievable that the only people that see that Enes should he ineligible is the NCAA.

51. Catfanjb4life
    7:39 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Lee Todd say: “F*** YOUR COUCH NCAA!!! F*** YOUR COUCH!!!!”

52. BPsycho
    7:39 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

#49 Mitch McConnell: Who the he** is Enes Kanter?, I’m gathering nooses, leave me alone.

Lol j/k

53. UK
    7:40 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I think we should fill thw White House of letters to Obama to make Emmert and these other CORRUPT people below Emmert that are scared for there jobs dissapear! like JFK. I think it would be AWESOME if we could get Obama to make a Public announcment that Emmert is a biased POS and does not fit in the sentence of a President because he does not treat different people with the same respect and standards! Obama Obama! Obama!

54. KYStout
    7:40 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

What an absolute joke the NCAA is. This language is about as strong as Dr. Todd is going to speak on the issue in public.

The NCAA is quickly becoming one of the most hated organizations in America.

55. Brian
    7:42 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Its time BBN. We get 20k to a practice, 20k to a game day, paint Hawaii blue, and take over what ever town the tourney is in. Nashville, Atlanta, or New Orleans….none are safe. It’s time for us to unite and get about 15k in Indy and demand to know why it is fair for players to take money from known agents/ handlers and the SCHOOL pays it back (selby) and players can knowingly break rules ( Pryor) ….and a kid who has seemingly done everything right has to sit. We get a movement together and converge on the NCAA offices.

56. BPsycho
    7:44 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

#53 Reality: Have we met?

57. Bear Bryant
    7:45 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

The NCAA needs some oversight itself!! It is making up the rules as it goes for it’s own interest, i.e. Cam, Selby, Cory K, etc.

The best thing thing that could happen with this is that it goes to court and is contested based on the inconstancy of the past rulings or no rulings at all (see Duke); or that a Congressional committee is formed to oversee the NCAA.

But one thing that is clear is that the NCAA has no clarity of interpretations of it’s own rules if it does not benefit the NCAA.

The NCAA has gotten to big for it’s britches and has no one to account to except itself.

Roll Tide

58. Lee Harvey Oswalt
    7:45 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I wanna Catch Mark Emmert and his family in a dark alley…

59. Mark Emmert
    7:47 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

UK fans make me depressed and wanna do bad things to myself. Wheres the NOOSE????

60. KYStout
    7:50 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

The appropriate response to all of this is clearly to win the national championship.

61. bigdinky
    7:50 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Kentucky should be refunded every dollar they spent on his recruitment. The NCAA said he was cleared to play. Washington should be refunded. Any other school that spent dollars on his recruitment should be refunded. Class-action law suit or something Matt. Fix the NCAA for their ignorance.

62. Bruce Pearl
    7:50 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

“Ha Ha, I still get to coach. Thank God the NCAA hates the BBN.” FAGETS BOTH.

63. BBN
    7:51 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

It’s time for the BIG BLUE NATION to stand up for ENES KANTER and show that the NCAA can make there decisions but so can we! Its time to make a visit to Mr. Emmert and his little elves, anybody joining?

64. Josh Selby
    7:52 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Damn, that turkish brotha shoulda hung wit me dawg, he’d be playin by now.

65. WhiteCastle_Sliders
    7:52 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

What a bunch of HORSESHIT by the NCAA. Kid wants paid and gets to play…kid doesn’t want paid and gets the Shaft. Someone pour a double shot of Bourbon for Adolph Rupp.

66. Jon Cochran
    7:53 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Noone is scared of BlueBallNation, i think ncaa just proved that. And cut the crying, be a man, ya better hope jorts is tougher than his candyass fanbase.

67. UK FAN
    7:54 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

61) When did the NCAA clear him?

68. Enes Kanter
    7:54 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I wanna apologize to the BBN for my family actions. I wanted to suit up and show the BBN that 8th banner, I sincerely regret my actions and wished i could’ve played basketball with my Wildcat family. Much love to the BBN. Enes

69. ribin
    7:55 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

It is an easy fix – ncaa should look at all the overseas kids that want to come to US for college ball. If they are 18 and have taken $$ for playing for an overseas team – then they are pros – cannot play college ball in that sport. If they were younger than 18 – then the ‘pro’ teams paying them or their parents (their culture for athletics) then they lose out. It would be their decision on how much to ‘risk’ on the kid. This rule would apply to all overseas teams.

70. my dog eats better than this
    7:56 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

RETIRE ZERO NOW

71. Derek
    7:57 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

How in the crap did Mark Emmert get elected President of the NCAA?? If i think of a President i think of someone that treats his people fairly and to the same standards. If this were the President of the United States making these biased decisions….he would no longer be standing on his own 2 feet! Free Enes!

72. ENES
    7:57 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a la braveheart

73. WildcatsOne
    7:59 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Okay People. Anybody up for a bus trip to Indy? I say we walk into the NCAA offices and demand someone’s head on a stick.

74. KarensFlexibleHips
    7:59 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I’m serious about this. Can Matt or someone please find out if there will be a defense fund that folks can donate to for Mr. Kanter to sue the NCAA? I and a lot of folks would donate to it. In a heartbeat.

75. Jon Cochrans Ass
    7:59 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

@66. That was me talkin. He actually loves the BBN or he wouldn’t be on here.

76. WhiteCastle_Sliders
    8:00 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

What it boils down to…. is that it was a HORSESHIT decision by the NCAA….HORSESHIT

77. Ryan
    8:00 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Did anyone ask the NCAA if he could be permanently ineligible starting next year? It worked for Ohio State.

78. NegativeForNoReason
    8:01 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

As a graduate of Kentucky, I am extremely proud that President Todd was there while I was a student. He is a great ambassador for the state of Kentucky and all those associated with the school. Stand strong BBN!

79. WesleytheNikewhore
    8:02 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Any of you ever think that you hired a crooked coach? Point a finger at the NCAA if you want, but anytime you point a finger at someone else you have three fingers pointing back at yourself. Got what you deserved.

80. NCAA
    8:03 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

“We put select families and student athletes first”

81. fakinnomah
    8:04 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Enes Kanter will always be a Kentucky Wildcat and I wish him the best in the future. Go make some money in the NBA and hopefully if he wishes he can one day pursue and complete a degree from the University of Kentucky. I think the move to make him part of the team as a undergraduate assistant is an awesome idea to allow him to stay with the team as much as possible in his one and only year at UK.

Go Enes
    Go Cats

82. OneAndDone
    8:04 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Dr. Todd, you sir are a great leader and will truly be missed at the University of Kentucky. Thanks for the awesome statement on the NCAA

83. jimmieukfan
    8:05 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

#38 – RIP NCAA

84. catcrawler
    8:05 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Well done Mr. Todd. I’m sure that the sportswriters of the world will also agree with UK on this.

85. WildcatsOne
    8:06 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

79. Get out of here before we kick your A$$. We have ways of finding you.

86. UKSoCal
    8:06 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Enes needs to sue! He’s got to have a discrimination case based on the ability of prep school players able to take scholarships based on athletic ability and be eligible, but the NCAA ruled that academics don’t qualify as a “necessary expense”?

87. QUICKIE RICKEY
    8:06 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

has any seen where I put my lighter and T-n-T ?
    How many gallons of gas to get to INDY from here anyway.

88. Viren
    8:07 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I really hope that Enes Kanter case will be the tipping point for NCAA and they will have to finally re-write their rules on amateurism. I am all for Kanter family to pursue this in the court. This is what happens when we have idiots in POWER.

89. david ball
    8:10 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

there is something to be said for honesty and compliance to the rules set out by the NCAA…but when the NCAA distorts the interpretation of those rules at their convenience, they are no longer bound to truly enforce them… what they have done today goes deeper than not allowing a true “student-athlete” to compete… it is my guess that they are doing this to steer clear of the NBA’s desire to brand themselves “internationally”…and in order to do that, the NCAA must dissuade top-flight foreign players from wanting to attend NCAA schools to participate in high-profile sports (well, Basketball really)…it’s only a guess, but other than Emmert’s own personal UW bias (which I don’t think figures into this), how can they possibly state with a straight face that Enes taking money for his private school education in Turkey is excessive? Add to the fact that the NCAA stated that had Fennerbahce paid the school directly as opposed to funnelling it to the Kanter family first would have gained Enes eligibilty (and thus reinforcing the possibility that Mehmet Kanter didn’t fully understand the way to truly keep Enes’ amateurism intact in accordance with the NCAA)…AND…the simple fact that Dr. Kanter was (and still is) willing to pay back the money in question (much like Josh Selby) but was denied by the NCAA can only point to some form of dirty dealing by the NCAA…throwing the other high-profile incidents into the mix only heightens the disappointment that so many (including myself) have with the NCAA and their inability to be consistent in their rulings. This smells fishy…I hope Mr. Todd can someday find out what truly was the cause behind this act…I hope the Kanters do sue the NCAA…at least for their benefit…even if they win, I don’t see how the NCAA would ever allow Enes to don a UK jersey for practice or game-time…too bad too…now more foreign players will steer clear of American colleges for fear of repeating this travesty…Kudos to the NCAA for rewarding lying and cheating whilst punishing someone who wants to both play for a college and learn at it at the same time…what a message to send to our youth.

90. TRUTH
    8:11 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I WANT TO MARCH IN INDY, SOMEONE START A FACEBOOK PAGE, LET’S GET THIS THING GOING, SET A DATE, AND LET’S DO IT!!!

91. GoCats2
    8:14 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Is Kanter eligible for the Heisman or playing for the National Championship? If so he could be reinstated immediately.

92. KSR1080Fan
    8:19 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

#89 Good stuff. Can I use it?

93. QUICKIE RICKEY
    8:19 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I’m in on defense fund. But we really do need to take a bus trip
    KSR has everyone’s email addresses, if something is put together KSR could notify everyone. Give people a weeks notice so we have a chance to work out logistics. The final 4 would really make a statement if 5K fans show up in FREE ENES shirts. Providing UK is not playing in the FINALS.

94. CatFanInTurLockCA
    8:21 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I personally think that UK should let him play on senior night and take the vacated game. I seriously doubt that last game would affect seeding, and I bet the majority of UK fans would support the vacated game. I know I would.

95. ENES
    8:22 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I must choke-slam the NCAA now.

96. Hard Hittin' CAT
    8:22 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Josh Selby at KANSAS can take money as an amateur get penalized a few games and repay the money he took.

Scam Newton can ask for money(don’t tell me he didn’t know what was going on) and not get penalized at all.

The OSU gansta crew can sell merchandise, autographs, etc.. and gets a slap on the wrist for the weakest part of their schedule for next year, but oh yeah, go ahead, you can play in your bowl game even though the offenses occurred before the bowl game. I bet some of them go to the NFL also.

All these violations came within the USA where everybody knows the rules and the NCAA for whatever reason went relatively easy on these guys, but for Kanter………..no fu(king way.

I’m baffled. I had accepted the fact that he wasn’t going to get the opportunity to play for UK this season but I was holding onto about a 40% chance for him to get to play next
    season.

$30,000. About $20,000 of which could have been justified for his schooling, so leave about $10,000 that easily could have been paid back under the NCAA rules by which he was under when he started playing for that Turkish club team AS A 14 YEAR OLD!! The NCAA changes the rules but disallows the Kanter’s to make anything right even when they’ve tried to do everything the right way.

Way to go NCAA. Way to set a good example by your inconsistent rulings in favor of the rule breakers and against those trying to comply.

GO FOOTBALL CATS!!! Then BASKETBALL CATS TOMORROW!!

97. blitzedanddazed
    8:22 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I hope that someone publishes the name of each person that served on the NCAA Compliance Committee that issued
    the Kanter ruling. I personally think that if Enes held U.S. citizenship he would have been cleared to play.
    The NCAA knows that the legal ramifications of this case is stacked in their favor if the Kanter family decides to sues.

98. JUSSKIDDIN
    8:23 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

DONT YOU THINK WE LOSE ENOUGH TALLENT TO THE NBA, its quite obviouse I would like to think…I mean come on! These are kids.Kids with familys.They come from all backgrounds yeah they do what they gotta do to live in these times. The money accepted buy these people is small potatoes.Every year there is a star that the fans of colligate sports miss out on watching…Now I will admit I am a Kentucky Bleed Blue Bad Ass Wildcat through and through and I love it..But all these rules are killing the “LEGENDS OF THE GAME” at this level…I want other schools to get those tallents just as much as UK..well not so much..but it makes the rivalry and the games better. Lettem get money NCAA and teach them what to do with it while they attend the college of their choice and grow up..go cats..and go blow on something NCAA.. FREE ENES FOR LIFE

99. KRAMER
    8:31 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I hope on draft night Cal is shown with Kanter every 10 seconds, and Kanter flips the NCAA the bird when he is picked!

100. david ball
    8:32 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

#92..use anything you want…of course, when you speak of me…speak with kindness…as for the NCAA…the more I think of it, the more I truly believe that NBA and their goal of “international branding” plays a role in this decision by the NCAA…almost impossible to prove (and the NCAA knows it)…so just pure conjecture on my part…but it makes more sense than allowing Selby to play almost immediately and keeping Kanter on ice till January to finally shoot down his goal…all over true educational expenses too…tsk tsk

101. bc
    8:34 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

How many members of the BBN would be up for a trip to Indy to orchestrate a protest in response to the Kanter ruling. Well planned and publicized, it could raise a lot of noise.

102. BigblueGH
    8:34 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Let’s secede from the NCAA! This is ridiculous. They’ve talked about it in football for years. I bet with KY spearheading the effort in basketball, along with the football powers that want to be rid of the BCS, we could make some real traction. At the very least, maybe we could scare the corruption out of the NCAA!

103. My 2 cents
    8:37 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

At the home game against Auburn, everyone in the crowd should show up in all black with an Undertaker hat. A day of tribute and solidarity!

104. BPsycho
    8:41 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Patterson playin on ESPN, just drained one.

: D 2Pat!

105. Blueforever
    8:45 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Went back and found this. Good article about the ridiculousness of the NCAA and why it should be brought down.

Exerts:
    “Widespread NCAA investigations into college football programs present an opportunity to examine and challenge the NCAA’s amateurism rules. There is no legitimate basis to accept that participants in the NCAA’s blatantly commercial enterprise are amateurs just because the NCAA says so. The NCAA amateurism rules are a fictional, oppressive harness designed to protect a plantation-like economic model.

With $710 million in projected revenue for 2009-10 and its $10.8 billion, 14-year television contract for NCAA men’s basketball, it is appropriate to challenge the NCAA’s counterintuitive definition of “amateurs.” Other than in the NCAA, in no other for-profit athletic competition are participants with opposable thumbs not paid for their services.”

and

“I am reluctant to compare anything recreational to the scourge of slavery, but, in the case of the NCAA’s amateurism rules, the symmetry is too compelling to ignore. Similar to the NCAA’s minimal labor cost economic model, the plantation’s economic model was based on an enslaved labor force that was merely housed and fed. Based on NCAA graduation rates, a college scholarship is nothing more than room and board for 45 percent of student athletes. Slavery was largely preserved by vicious discipline designed to make an example of the slave who broke the rules and anyone who assisted him or her. The threat of the loss of college football eligibility and draconian sanctions on football programs are designed to preserve the NCAA’s oppressive economic model.

To end the viciousness of slavery, our nation rose up and challenged the rules. We must do the same with the NCAA.”

106. bc
    8:49 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Who from KSR will step up and start/orchestrate the movement of a protest. Either on the campus of UK, or in Indy. KSR should make it happen.

107. david ball
    8:53 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Hell hath no fury like a Wildcatfan scorned

108. QUICKIE RICKEY
    8:55 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

@ 105. you my friend are correct.
    who want’s to form a movement? I’m in. Do what I can to help. Too busy to head up myself, but can offer resources. I have office space in Loserville area. Serious inquiries only. I HAVE 3 OPEN OFFICES OPEN

109. david ball
    8:56 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I am quite the idiot. But perhaps this confession is redundant.

110. QUICKIE RICKEY
    8:58 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Sorry for the -Sypher reference with over use of OPEN

111. david ball
    9:00 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

wow 109…another david ball calling the first david ball an idiot…wow…a first really…how redundant…

112. UKfan
    9:05 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

113. BigAbes4UK
    9:11 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

LT killed it

114. Like Me
    9:14 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Come on. Why delete this! Like this page and show your disdain for the NCAA. http://www.facebook.com/pages/edit/?id=100283446713817&sk=basic#!/pages/Disban-the-NCAA/100283446713817?v=wall

115. HuuuugeEnis
    9:19 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I’m still trying to wrap my head around how Selby can pay back his extra “benefits” out of HIS DAMN SCHOLARSHIP MONEY and now this horse$hit sayin’ I can’t pay back the extra dough and play. What the hell is the difference? NCAA can suck my enis

116. Putter
    9:27 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

As a U.K.graduate with two degrees, Lee Todd’s comments are embarrassing! The President of a “”University” only cares about winning games rather than recognizing that a “pro athlete” was just using the school to raise his draft profile. He should focus more on ethics, professors, and tuition costs.

117. zz
    9:35 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

#38 Cali Cat-
    N umerous
    C onflicting
    A rbitrary
    A cts

118. upinya25
    9:37 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

If he went to Duke, he’d be suited up right now…

119. david ball
    9:37 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

great…now it seems, someone has hacked in using my screen name and now I can’t read the rest of the posts…nice

120. L4B
    9:58 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Does anyone else think it’s funny that Todd has a book next to him in his official photo that says “GREAT” in huge white letters? Well played, Dr. Subliminal. P.S. NCAA sleeps with the fishes

121. blueswade
    9:58 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Class action lawsuit for all UK fans…How ’bout it Heavy Hitter?!?!?!

122. Driver
    10:15 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

#116- As a current student of the University of Kentucky President Lee Todd made the correct statement and I am proud to call him my President. The inconsistency of the NCAA is enough to cause Gandhi to start a war.

123. DonkeyBalls
    10:20 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

116. STFU I’m a UK grad with two degrees and I can tell you’re douche because you care more about ethics and professors than UK basketball. You’re a total turd. You’re probably from Louisville. Seriously, wtf is Lee Todd supposed to do about ethics? Make everybody take a polygraph? SMH

124. twnky
    10:21 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

what todd is saying is “F#CK YOU ncaa. You guy screwed this kid.

125. billy
    10:35 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Well I am now ready to get on with my life. Sorry. We can now start to be concerned about who will leave after this year.

126. brandon mason
    11:29 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

#116…your a complete tool and I AM A UK STUDENT!!! Very, very well said Dr. Lee!! And in a completely honest opinion….if he were at Duke he would have been playing in November. Very sad!

127. Viren
    11:42 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Guys we are just going to have to move on and look on the bright side our Wildcats are playing great 12-2 and getting ready to open conference play tomorrow. I am very upset about the inconsistent decision NCAA have made over and over. What hurts the most is that cheaters like Selby, Sydney, Newton, and Ohio State players got what they want and our beloved Enes paid the ultimate prize for telling the NCAA truth. This almost makes me feel good and support Bruce Pearl for lieing to those b.a.s.t.r.d.s because that’s the only thing they seem to understand.

128. BreJe
    12:54 am January 8, 2011 Permalink

#121 there couldn’t be a more perfect idea

129. Turkish_prison_blues
    10:31 am January 8, 2011 Permalink

to bad kanter didn’t sell his jerseys for tatoos like the ohio state morons

130. Turkish_prison_blues
    10:33 am January 8, 2011 Permalink

116 is a yuppy

131. crawford01
    11:09 am January 8, 2011 Permalink

Glad to see someone with a little clout say something negative about the NCAA

132. UK1
    11:23 am January 8, 2011 Permalink

What a great statement. Todd will be sorely missed in my opinion. The NCAA certainly plays favorites, and UK is not on that list.