A sneak peek of the Turner Sports UK documentary

Last night, “Bluegrass Kingdom: The Gospel of Kentucky Basketball” premiered at the Kentucky Theater in Lexington. For those of you who didn’t attend, the Turner Sports documentary on Kentucky basketball will air on truTV on Selection Sunday, March 17 at 8 p.m. ET.

The documentary is narrated by hip-hop star Drake, is directed by Mike Tolajian (“Once Brothers” from ESPN’s 30 for 30 series) and features interviews with Pat Riley, Jamal Mashburn, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Joe B. Hall, John Calipari, and Ashley Judd. Turner Sports released a sneak peek at the film, which you can view above. In addition, we’ve also been given some select quotes and stills. Take a look:

Pat Riley on Adolph Rupp’s recruiting trip to his home in Schenectady, NY: “When he came up to our house, it was really like royalty. I remember him saying to my mother: ‘Don’t worry we’re going to take care of your son.’ Then he looked at my father and said: ‘Don’t worry we’re going to make him an All-American.’ When he left, my mother told me: ‘That’s where you’re going to go to school.”

RILEY_COURT_BROLL

Riley on Rupp’s legacy: “Adolph Rupp started this whole tradition — this culture — about what Kentucky basketball is all about. He came to that school in the late 40s to the 60s. It was about Kentucky basketball. It was about the Kentucky Derby. It was about the whiskey. But basketball trumped everything.”

Riley on the 1966 NCAA championship game vs. Texas Western College: “They were playing for a lot more than just a trophy or being a NCAA champion. We were beaten handily.”

Riley retelling a story of meeting up with Coach Rupp in an elevator following the 1966 NCAA Championship game vs. Texas Western College: “Adolph Rupp got on the elevator with us alone…[when] he got off he sorta turned to us and said: ‘This game is going to be really significant in the future. You have no idea what you were a part of tonight.’ He knew. I’m proud to be a part of that loss because I know what that loss meant to a lot of players.”

ASHLEY_JUDD_A_CAM_INTV

Ashley Judd: “Bringing Jamal Mashburn to the University of Kentucky absolutely changed the trajectory of our program.”

Jamal Mashburn on facing Duke in the 1992 NCAA Tournament’s Elite 8 (“Game for the Ages): “Facing Duke…they were bigger than life. That game in itself, and that season, was the bridge to helping revive this program.”

Judd on the 1996 team: “The 1996 team was truly one-of-a-kind. There was just a feeling from the very beginning that they were absolutely destined. And, it would shatter our collective heart if this team didn’t win it all.”

CALIPARI_C_CAM_INTV

Kentucky Head Coach John Calipari on his temperament: “I’m very protective of my family of people — players and coaches. I don’t think I walk on water. I don’t think I’m the devil either.”

Hopefully the film will be the icing on our Sunday.

46 Comments for A sneak peek of the Turner Sports UK documentary

1. Mino Slick
    11:24 am March 14, 2013 Permalink

I went to the advanced showing yesterday, and I would rate this a 6 out of 10…This was suppossed to be about the history of UK basketball, and alot was left out. It ran about an hour, but it really needed to be a 2 hr program. It focused on more negative, than positive (racsism,& Probation) I also am disapointed that there were no references to Tubby Smith, he did win a ring correct. Didnt hear any narration from Drake either..maybe it was early version of sumthing….shrugs shoulders

2. H.A. Milton
    11:37 am March 14, 2013 Permalink

No Drake? Nice!

3. scott
    11:43 am March 14, 2013 Permalink

Mrs. T –
    You mentioned being an alum of Davidson. I’ll tell you a story. After the great Elite Eight Run in 2008, I ran into Coach Mckillop at an airport (must have been Atlanta Hartsfield) and we had a great talk about basketball. I told him that even though I was a true blue Kentucky fan, I was really pulling for his team in the Tourney. He was one of th most gracious men I have ever met. He raved abou UK…our tradition, list of great players, Coach Rupp, Pitino and Smith. He couldn’t find enough kind words about our fan base. On and on and on. He is a fabulous ambassador for Davidson and a man you and all alus should be proud of.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      12:06 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

Scott- Coach McKillop is awesome. Your story does not surprise me at all…he’s just as good a person as he is a coach. He was actually just named head coach of Team USA in the World University Games.

4. scott
    11:44 am March 14, 2013 Permalink

sorry alus should read alums.

5. BlewHareTwo
    11:48 am March 14, 2013 Permalink

It’s no big deal but I thought Rupp came to UK in about 1933.

6. BlewHareTwo
    11:58 am March 14, 2013 Permalink

Oops,wrong-it was 1930.

7. Courtney
    11:59 am March 14, 2013 Permalink

Time To DVR since Selection Show is on at the same time!

8. minton
    12:03 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

Joe B. must be impersonating Nelly with that Band-Aid.

9. Steve
    12:03 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

Right On 6 on the Rupp time line, I hope that’s not what Pat Riley said 1940’s? to 1960’s .

10. Sam
    12:13 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

Nice story
    I like it because it’s original, your own handiwork from scratch, using a press release as source (which you attributed)
    No hate here, just tying to be constructive to someone who obviously loves doing this stuff

11. Jarvis Redwine
    12:18 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

I hope the “racism” tag was not just more rehashing of the same old lies about Rupp. Rupp was many things (politically incorrect, a product of his times, ego-maniacal) but racist was not one of them.

12. Culver
    12:23 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

I wish Judd would just go away…

13. Jarvis Redwine
    12:26 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

13) Why?

14. Laker Cat 18
    12:30 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

Coach Hall looks like he just got done taping an episode of the Walking Dead.

15. Jcice
    12:31 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

WTH happened to Coach Hall? He fall off his bike?

16. kycatfl1
    12:39 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

#13 I agree. She needs to focus on her political career (LOL)!

17. kj
    12:45 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

13 & 17, I’ll third that, wish the tree hugging liberal loon would just STFU & stay away!!!! Hall I think had some places removed from his face awhile back must have been right when they taped this.

18. JustSayin
    12:52 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

Some of you Repubs hatin on Ashley are real gems. You actually think Mitch M. gives a flying f*k about you guys? Just vote R on ballot day as most Kentuckians do. Some sheep love to stay sheep.

19. kj
    1:01 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

No 19 you got it half right I will vote R on ballot day because I have morals & stand for something unlike you & your kind who are the liberal loving party until we drop past the buck on & bill that are flushing our country & future down the drain.

20. kj
    1:08 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

Plus UK & politics are 2 separate things in my book not going to turn a deaf ear or blind eye to something just because someone is a Cat fan.

21. Go Big Blue
    1:09 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

moderation. Really? Thanks big brother.

22. Rockfield, KY
    1:16 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

19. You’re the sheep here, smart guy. Only sheep think in terms of dems vs repubs and draw their lines there. The government has you perfectly trained. Sit. Stay. Good boy. Now look the other way while our government divides and conquers the American public that they’ve been elected to “serve”.

23. 2020
    1:18 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

Ashley looks like the crazy girl with no friends from the Bachelor with the eyebrow flying upside her face.

24. Culver
    1:26 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

23) Well said! Only the real sheep believe in the Repub VS Dem, right VS left B.S.! It’s the greatest scam in American history. And Judd would make a great politician…she’s as fake as they come.

25. Jarvis Redwine
    1:33 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

20) and others.

There’s not a dime’s worth of difference between a mainstream Republican and mainstream Democrat. We’ve been hoodwinked into believing that the two party system actually gives us a choice. I challenge you to watch “Bipartisan Birds of Prey” on Youtube.com. Too many “sheeple” that have turned election into sporting events and not enough people actually voting the constitution and the issues.

26. Jarvis Redwine
    1:35 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

23) and 25) are spot on!

27. kycatfl1
    1:36 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

#26 Good Stuff.

28. Mr. Obvious
    1:42 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

Obviously, none of you realize that the vast majority of us don’t care what your political (dem or rep) viewpoints are. Take your posts to foxnews.com or cnn.com. This is a sports site!!

29. JustSayin
    1:46 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

I’m an Independent btw. I don’t think in terms of Repubs vs. Dems, some Indies far outshine the main two parties. Look at the stance on positions and the current version of the Repubs. If you actually think the Rand Paul’s and Ted Cruz’s of the world are going to create the atmosphere to help you then more power to you. They don’t believe in good government, period. They believe in getting rid of the social safety net, any kind of oversight of financial institutions, for-profit health insurance, and a general belief in survival of the fittest. Wages are stagnant for the last 30 years while the top 1% or 2% has had exponential growth. Companies and the ultra-rich do this because they can. It takes a bigger dog in the fight to make change and that is either unions or government regulation/oversight. I work for a multi-national IT company and our employees in Brazil have had 9% raises each of the last two years while in the U.S. we’ve had one small raise in the last six years. Our division in Brazil is terribly profitable but our company abides by their rules for the employees there. So if you are happy with the current model of ‘fairness’ in this country more power to you. BTW … our CEO had six trips with his family to Hawaii for extended periods with his family last year … I guess there is better critical thinking and planning done there.

30. Jarvis Redwine
    1:53 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

30) If you think more regulation or more government will help the wage problem, you’ve not been paying attention. Regulation caused the problem. Let the market work and wages will go up. Crony capitalism, the military/industrial complex and corporatism are what has caused stagnation in wages and a concentration of wealth at the top. Government picking winners and losers instead of the market and individuals has caused this problem.

31. Amberbock
    2:01 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

Boooo politics.

32. JustSayin'Nothing
    2:26 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

The difference between sheep and hogs is that sheep are grazers. They don’t stand around waiting for the feed to hit the trough like hogs . . . just vote D on election day to fill your trough.

33. HeyJustSayin
    2:29 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

I’ll buy your ticket if you’ll move to Brazil . . . and if that division is sooo profitable, maybe 9% raises is insufficient given their apparent productivity. How is your division doing? Not as profitable = not as big a raise . . .

BTW, who’s the sheep here still working for corporate america/world. Get some nads and go on your own in the IT world. Then you would be here bitching about regulations, employee wages, health care, etc. What a joke!

34. Judd4Senate
    2:31 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

Will she go topless to secure a political career too?

35. cat89
    2:48 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

#30)Trying not to put words in your mouth but you seem to be saying, while your division has not received regular pay increases, but during this time your CEO has enjoyed nice trips to Hawaii with the family. Same could be said of the POTUS. How many rounds of golf, trips to Hawaii and all over the world has he and his family taken. The last increase in pay I received was just taken back when SS taxes whent up. Don’t know what Rand Paul or Ted Cruz would do if elected but we know what the guy we got now is doing. Maybe Obama’s critical thinking and planning is done on the golf course.

36. hMMM
    2:50 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

34.) You are exactly like the sheeple spoken of above who will do and say anything so their side will win. Your argument has a huge hole in it.

American corporations are more profitable than ever and have grown exponentially in profitability since the Great Recession, while Main Street has barely kept a float. The stock market passed 14,500 today. However, wages have stagnated for thirty years. So if more profits equal more wages, no one is seeing it.

The truth is all men in congress, R’s and D’s, and there corporate backers are greedy scumbags who will step on the throats of the working man to make another dollar when they already own 50% of the country. A true capitalist economy will never work when 1% of the population owns more than half the wealth of a country. Just ask the French, the British, and the old school Americans who lived through the Great Depression.

Businesses only hire when demand deems it necessary to have more workers. They have gotten off making us work more for less due to the unemployment rate. Why would they do anything to get the rate down now. Also, if no one has capital demand slows, thus hiring slows and wages drop.

So everyone needs to get there head out of there ass, and see what the true problem is. The coporation could care less about us. Once they bleed America dry they will move to the next emerging market.

37. cat89
    2:50 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

#26) BINGO!!

38. cat89
    2:58 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

#37) I can agree with some of what you say. I do not think wages have stagnated for 30 years. The French and the Brits aren’t “true capitalist” They are more socialist. With the increase and advancements in Tech, more workers aren’t always needed for growth and increased profit.

39. heyHmmmm
    3:45 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

Again . . . Get some nads and go on your own in the IT world and stop whoooa is me’ing.

40. JustSayin
    3:59 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

cat89, were you equally upset when George W. played golf or took an inordinate number of vacation days back in Texas? Far more days Obama has. Who is playing politics here?

34) my ‘nads’ are fine. as far as the IT world my work deals with terabyte databases, not ‘Mom and Pops Tshirts’ company. So it is kinda hard to avoid corporate America a**wipe.

Many of you guys act like folks want to emulate other countries. Not true, we should take the best of everywhere and adopt it here if we’ve not already invented it. If you hate socialism get rid of police, firefighters, libraries, Road Ranger programs, etc. Do you actually believe we need for-profit health insurance? why? should we ask elected leaders why wages have been stagnant for so long? what is inappropriate about that? does big oil need our tax dollars? Hell man, i don’t care who you vote for but THINK FOR YOURSELF.

41. A financial advisor
    4:33 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

Watch it. It is very interesting. My clients tend to reside at the high end of the scale.

42. David from Bowling Green
    4:59 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

I don’t agree with her politics either but I think Ashley is beautiful and I’m glad she’s a UK fan.

43. ==== Asley Dudds Worst Nightmare ====
    11:47 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

==== Ashley just go BACK to Volunnteer land ….. we don’t want you …. we certainly don’t need you …… Hollywood sure as hell doesn’t want you ……… your ex doesn’t want you …
    the Judd family has had more problems than an advanced calculus class !!!

Just go way ……………….. away…… please don’t stain Ky. !!!

====

44. MTK
    1:06 am March 15, 2013 Permalink

I dont care what her politics are, but why would you include Ashley Judd in a documentary on UK basketball. She is just a fan like the rest of us. Who cares what she thinks and how is it relivant?

45. Beavis
    7:42 am March 15, 2013 Permalink

To all you liberals,,,,,who is going to pay off that 20 trillion dollar debt we will have after Obama gets through with his spending,,,excuse me “investing” of our tax dollars? Second,,,,do any of you really think we should be giving 420 million to Egypt ? We can’t fund grants and scholarships for students in the US but we can give millions to Egypt to fund students and entrepreneurs ? And lets not forget the roughly 1 billion in F16 and Abrams tanks we are giving Egypt. Who do you think they will use them against ? This president does not have a damn clue what he is doing.