A Louisville fan questioned Rick Pitino’s recruiting strategy… in 2000.

courier

Radio Ron Chilton just poked his head in the office and handed me this newspaper clipping he had in a scrapbook. It’s a reader submission from the Courier-Journal on August 20, 2000, questioning Rick Pitino’s recruiting methods at Kentucky. A Louisville fan hinted at foul play after Calipari pulled a trick out of Pitino’s book and hired Milt Wagner to be on his staff at Memphis.

It’s a pretty neat little gem from a time when college basketball’s biggest rivals were at other jobs outside of Kentucky. It’s also from a time when people read the print edition of the Courier-Journal.

Only Radio Ron would have this.

Article written by Drew Franklin

23 Comments for A Louisville fan questioned Rick Pitino’s recruiting strategy… in 2000.

1. notv
    5:10 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I believe you meant “read the Courier-Journal”, since its pretty much irrelevant online as well.

2. DirtyD
    5:15 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

what time is the game sat?

3. nolablue
    5:16 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

The game against Colonel Cryptkeeper and The Chicken Bucket Chumps is at NOON EST.

4. Upper Section Student
    5:17 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

What the hell is a newspaper?

5. Loyal Reader
    5:26 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Are there any plans to make a KSR Android App also? Or is it iphones only?

6. Dane Brammage
    5:27 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

The Louisville fan typified the UaVel sentiment in re Rick Pitino when he coached at KENTUCKY; just pittifully sad this
    Lil brother….

who hired former standout KENTUCKY football player as head coach in the 80’s in order to ‘attempt’ to collide with destiny (and yet continually failing).

Lil bro later hires former KENTUCKY Basketball coach Rick Pitino, despite bashing him while at KENTUCKY; and note that this followed the firing of legendary coach Denny Crum (who they hired because Wooden wouldn’t leave Westwood).

Lil bro has an enormous Napoleon Complex (and despite ALL attempts at relevancy, continually fails).

7. DirtyD
    5:27 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

#3 thanks lol!!!

8. RogerHarden_23
    5:28 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

They all do this. But Rick’s still tool. Go cats.

9. Wildcat Kyle
    5:29 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

UofL fans have selective memory

10. Hartline
    5:37 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

5 there is Android app. Much better than the iPhone app.

11. Claw
    5:40 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

This should come as no surprise to anyone living in the real world. Coaches will push it to the limit as long as they are not technically breaking NCAA rules. Coach Cal is a dick in my opinion and isn’t really that good at coaching from what I’ve witnessed, but I am a Kentucky homer, have been since birth, and accept him as family. Hell, I don’t even like my own brother, but will have his back against outsiders no matter what.

12. Kaboom
    5:41 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Its sad when Ricky P is reverting to the tactics he used 15 years ago and missing out of the kid whos coach he hired (Marquis Teague), maybe if he could at least go 15 seconds it wouldve worked. F*** louisville!

13. Loyal Reader
    5:45 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

10- Thanks! I found it. I hadn’t checked in a while so I guess I should have checked one more time before asking about it on here.

14. Another Perspective
    5:51 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

At least Milt Wagner had legitimate credentials AND he was an assistant for 4 years after Dejuan left.

15. Crackerhillbilly
    5:58 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

People forget that it was Cal who encouraged Milt Wagner to finally get his degree while at Memphis (which U of L obviously failed to do).

16. Natedog
    6:00 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I just realized that the 2010 Wildcats had seven NBA players on the roster (Wall, Cousins, Patterson, Bledsoe, Orton, Liggins, Harrellson). And the final count for that 2010 team could be 8 NBA players if Darius Miller heats up in conference play.

Stupid West Virginia. We should be working on National Title number 9!!!

17. What up
    6:02 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

#12 Does your boy look a little nervous in the interview when asked about Louisville?

18. Claw
    6:04 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Sorry bout that rant at post 11, just speak my mind. I’m nothing but a northeastern Kentucky hillbilly that doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. I just talk too much after whiskey and call it like I see it. Probably shouldn’t have said that stuff.

19. thenamerobdigity
    6:15 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

This has been going on for years… nothing new here. It is a loophole in the system.

20. Carl
    6:23 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Why does CBS buy the rights to the best game of the day and then start it at noon. They did the same thing to UK-NC. Don’t they know Shabazz is still asleep and will miss his future team in action?
    GO CATS!!

21. Smith
    6:23 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

#17 Does he look nervous? No. That’s Teague’s demeanor in all interviews. Try again.

22. comments
    6:35 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

?

23. Blew Hare
    12:29 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

Mashburn did not graduate. he left after 3 years. And “6”, Denny Crum took the UofL job to prepare himself to succeed Wooden, then turned the job down when the UCLA job became open.