I was just going to write a recap of Cal’s comments to the media but then I remembered that some people like seeing Coach in his bathrobe. This one’s for you, folks.
– Beisner just addressed this, but I’ll repeat it. As of today, Cal said that he would not recommend that any of the players on the roster enter their name into the NBA draft. With last year serving as good evidence, we know that Cal is a pretty straight shooter in this department. If he thinks you’re ready then he’ll say so. He’s not just going to deny UK potential ‘greatest days in program history’ to get a few players to return to school.
– Rightfully so, Cal talked about this team’s struggles in preventing offensive rebounds and closing down the stretch. He denied the assertion that it might just be unlucky and said that it’s about aggression and players that expect to win. He said that every player was expecting someone else to do something at the end of the game.
– “You gotta try harder than the other guy’s trying.” I think that one is pretty self-explanatory. Chris Warren, Trey Thompkins and John Jenkins are exhibits 1a, 1b and 1c.
– Cal said that they told DeAndre that he can’t be waving his arms anymore because the refs are going to keep giving him technicals if he’s making a big show. In his defense, he has a newborn son.
– In terms of crappy road play, Cal said that his teams have, historically, played tougher on the road. He said that those teams went into an opposing arena intent on ruining the other team’s weekend. This team doesn’t have that mentality.
– Cal cited better preparation as one thing he’s battling for right now. He said that he had to get on the team during the shoot around before the Arkansas game and that needs to change.
– In the end, Cal said that he wants the team to be rougher. I think we can all agree with that.