A Kentucky Fan’s Giving of Thanks

Not all days as a Kentucky fan are created equal. The exceptional days exist, such as the one pictured above, or when a top recruit commits to Kentucky unexpectedly (or expectedly). Game days are always good days, with anticipation looming all day long– as cities like Lexington are overtaken by a blue mist. Mornings after big wins are fun too, as we all puff our chests out a little further and replay all of our favorite moments with the first, second, third and fiftieth Kentucky fan we run into that day. As with anything in life, with the good comes the bad. The bad days have been a bit more plentiful lately with the state of the football program, but even as bad as things are– the hope for something better, or at least something different, is providing a light at the end of the tunnel feeling. Even if we can’t agree on what kind of wattage the light bulb lighting the end of the tunnel should be, we know change in some capacity is on the way.

With all of the great days, moments, games, players, friendships built upon a common denominator–being a Kentucky fan, etc…we have plenty to be thankful for as Kentucky fans. My original plan was to create my own list of things I think we can all be thankful for as Kentucky fans. Big Blue Nation always finds a way to do it the best though, so I decided to throw the question toward you all as well: What are you grateful for as a Kentucky fan? Clever, funny and serious answers were all encouraged and welcomed. Between my own list, and a number of great suggestions from the world of Twitter, here’s a sample of some of the many things Kentucky fans have to be grateful for. The list is far from complete, as I’m sure we all have our own personal moments and things to be grateful for that we hold near and dear to our hearts. Feel free to make additions in the comment section between your second and third helping of stuffing.

30 things Kentucky fans can be grateful for on this Thanksgiving day…

1) 1948

3) Michael Kidd-Gilchrist’s smile

5) 1949

6) Randall Cobb on Sunday afternoons

8) 1951

9) Jodie Meeks’ 54 point game, which salvaged an otherwise hopeless season

10) The fact that Rick Barnes always “removes his name from contention” when it comes to the Kentucky basketball job opening

11)

12) This picture of DeMarcus Cousins…

13) The fact that Jefferson Pilot Sports made a mistake and Dwight Perry didn’t actually start that game.

14) 1958

15)

16) Rich Brooks’ Twitter account

17)

18) 1978

19) “The Door”

20) Kelenna Azubuike’s biceps. Runner up: Eric Bledsoe’s biceps. Honorable Mention: Tod Lanter’s biceps

21)

22) Tom Crean’s Twitterquette, or lack thereof…

23) 1996

24)

25) That you can find a Kentucky fan in literally every city, town and lob township (sup Live Bloggers?) in the world. And when you spot them, you can throw them a 3 goggle and a smile and instantly make a connection.

26) 1998

27)

28) The legend of Hunter McClintock

29) This picture of Jarrod Polson’s parents during the Maryland game

30) 2012

Being a Kentucky fan is something that I feel grateful for each and every single day. People can argue this, but for me, there’s simply nothing like it in the entire world. It’s hard to explain in words, but when you come across a fellow Kentucky fan– you know that they understand exactly what it means as well. It’s a shared connection, an unspoken bond and a unique experience that has given something special to all of us. To all of the loyal KSR readers, have a great Thanksgiving. We are grateful for all of you, even the ones who say things in the comment section that make our mothers angry. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

16 Comments for A Kentucky Fan’s Giving of Thanks

1. Bubba Earl
    5:05 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

Well Done! Ditto

2. StanTheUKFan
    5:25 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

Coach Cal

3. crazycanfan
    5:42 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

31) 2013

4. Marty
    5:45 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

I am thankful for Alan Cutler. He gave us the best last moment of the worst era in UK basketball.

5. AbbyNormal
    6:08 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

I love Kentucky Basketball!! Nice list; I’d add all those threes from Tayshaun-that was pretty memorable.

6. Amber M.
    6:20 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

Love this! I am emotional thinking about all of these great things to be thankful for. Thanks for all that KSR does for all of us.

7. Joe
    6:40 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

Nice KSR post. One of my all-time favorites.

I’d add to the list Coach Rupp for helping create the winning tradition of UK b-ball.

8. UKHoopshysteria
    6:46 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for Coach Cal. UK is back on top, its rightful place in college basketball. Funny thing is he was hired 3-4 yrs ago on my birthday.

9. rixter
    6:58 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

Dwight Perry didn’t start that game? It sure looked like he did. M\aybe I missed something

10. Tom Blevins
    9:09 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

I’m thankful for 1912, Kentucky’s first undefeated season. I’m thankful for 1921 when Kentucky won the SIAA tournament. As far as I know, this was the very first college basketball post season tournament. I’m thankfue for 1946 when the Cat won the NIT. The NIT was a really big deal back then. Only 8 teams were invited to the NCAA tournament, and only 8 teams were invited to the NIT. I’m thankful for 1976, when Kentucky won the NIT again. After starting the season 10-10, they closed with a 10 game win streak to finish 20-10. I’m thankful for Joe B. Hall. When Coach Rupp retired, a lot of people predicted Kentucky would become just another program. Coach Hall, perhaps more than any other one individual, made sure that didn’t happen. I’m thankful for Cawood Leadford, our beloved play by play man. When I first became a Wildcat fan, a lot of our games weren’t on TV. But that was okay. When Cawood called the game, you could see it on radio. Those who remember him know what I mean.

11. Steve Fitts
    11:26 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

I’m thankful for integration. I am old enough (58) to remember when UK, and other SEC schools, were all-white. Hard to believe that even in my lifetime athletes were turned down not for their lack of ability but solely for their color. Aren’t you thankful that we no longer live in a world where Wall, Cousins, Davis, Kidd-Gilcrest, and others would be turned down by UK simply because of the color of their skin? That was exactly the world that we lived in back in segregation days. We should ALL be thankful for integration!

12. Debbie Downer
    11:42 pm November 22, 2012 Permalink

Meeks for 54 was the highlight of the season. It salvaged nothing because Billy Clyde still found a way to crap on Meeks getting the record. Second place that year was Perry Stevensons dunk. Flex dem bones.

13. Tiffany UKGAL-InFL
    12:46 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

I say Coach Cal. Without him UK Basketball would be so different. He may think we’re crazy, but we love him!

14. NBA league pass
    8:28 am November 23, 2012 Permalink

That picture of Cousins is awesome. Great memory from that year.

15. Pillbilly
    12:45 pm November 23, 2012 Permalink

Im sorry …i understand he was happy but dangit man why on earth would he be in tht position looking gay as hell, i would be so happy i couldn’t stay in one spot….walking the floors watchin tv 🙂

16. blog url
    4:14 pm November 25, 2012 Permalink

I used to be suggested this web site through my cousin. I am now not certain whether this publish is written through him as no one else understand such detailed about my problem. You are incredible! Thanks!