A Great Piece on the Lexington Fan Experience

376206_10100419696401970_12907770_49831179_1630343954_n1

Until today, I had never heard of “Hoopspeak U” and knew nothing of its existence. But if writing like this is a part of it, then I will be a returning visitor. Writer Danny Nowell is a North Carolina fan who made a trip to Lexington to sample the bourbon and basketball of our fine area. And while there, he attended the UK-UNC game, producing one of the more entertaining articles I have read this year. Nowell is clearly a very good writer, giving us gems like this:

As the game started, the atmosphere in the building became as electric as any I’ve seen. We in Chapel Hill are as passionate about our Heels, but we carve opponents’ psyches with our condescending dignity; Kentucky concusses you with blunt-force excitement.

A truer description of the two teams’ in-game experiences has never been written. Nowell proceeds to talk more about the game atmosphere and tell of his encounter with a friendly Lexington couple who invited him to dinner. It is definitely worth the read. My favorite paragraph was this one:

During the game itself, whose particulars I will not comment on except to say that it was an exhausting and elating stretch where every minute movement on the court seemed to draw a thrilled agony from the crowd, I noticed that the Kentucky fans are some of the smartest basketball watchers I have seen. They gasp when Anthony Davis gets missed rolling to the hoop, and they cheer pre-emptively when Doron Lamb curls around a second screen on the baseline. And although I was not exactly a shrinking violet in my support of Carolina, the only time anybody even thought about heckling us was when a 14-year-old in front of us made “three goggles” at me with the peculiar sort of turdishness which is the true domain of 14-year-old boys.

Nowell on his Lexington Diary

Article written by Matt Jones

46 Comments for A Great Piece on the Lexington Fan Experience

1. The Rich White Man
    9:09 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

He probably heard groans with every dribble Teague took as well.

2. Catfan24
    9:21 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Awesome article!

3. Randolph/Jeremy
    9:25 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

BRIDGETTTTTTE!

4. BBN
    9:29 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

When we’re on the court, we hate each other, but I have nothing but respect for UNC and Kansas. IU, UL, and Duke on the other hand…

5. Designated Drinker
    9:30 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Great read. I wonder how many hits he will get from UK fans….

6. Poppschmidty
    9:30 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

That was a very well written blog. Goes to show how classy of a town Lexington really is. UK, like all schools, has some pretty idiotic fans that give the remaining few a bad rep. That being said, I will never cheer for UNC 🙂

7. Tommy
    9:30 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

I live in Chicago now and this doesn’t surprise me about UK fans at all..But saying that, I guarantee a Louisville fan would never be as hospitable as that family was….( but lets be honest who wants to go to Shively anyway )

8. Deepblue
    9:31 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Extremely well written article.

9. Paul
    9:34 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Is the title a double entondre

10. BrownCat
    9:34 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

I’m not sure I’ve ever been more proud of the UK fanbase. We need more stories like these.

11. daggum roy
    9:34 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Another cot damn convert!

12. cats
    9:37 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Randolph/Jeremy, too bad there is no ‘e’ at the end of her name…

13. Pabloco
    9:39 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

“turdishness” is my new favorite word.

14. Grillcat
    9:41 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Very nice article. It’s worth reading

15. BigBlueSkyDog
    9:44 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Nice article. I’ve met a few Tar Heel fans and there is a lot of mutual respect between the fan bases. I sincerely hope both programs can find a way to continue this series. It’s become the best non-conference rivalry in the nation.

16. BravoBigBlue
    9:45 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Now he knows a little bit about what Kentucky basketball is all about. He’ll be back. Good article.

17. Waterboy
    9:45 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

FYI, the Van Winkle line of bourbons trump Woodford Reserve any day. Other wise, a terrific article.

18. Michael Kidd-Langford
    9:45 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

If a UNC walks into Rupp and writes”

“The inside of Rupp is the raddest. It is just the illest possible combination of slick modernism and tradition.”

that right there tells me renovation is a much better idea than rebuilding a new arena.

19. Bledsoe's Biceps
    9:46 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Great article. Glad he enjoyed his time in Lexington and experienced the best of the BBN.

20. mountaincat
    9:49 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

7. You’re an idiot. You took an article talking about the great atmosphere at rupp and some nice fans, written by a rival supporter, and made an unnecessary and baseless jab at one demographic in louisville, therefore completely undermining said article. You are one reason a lot of college basketball fans hate our fan base. Find some class, perhaps you should start looking in shively, a neighborhood of hard working fellow kentuckians who happen to reside in a city that hosts a ball club you hate.

21. Bledsoe's Biceps
    9:50 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

15) Absolutely agree. I work with some people in the Raleigh area. All are UNC fans and to a person they have a lot of respect for the UK program, just like I find most UK fans do for UNC. Plus we have a mutual dislike for Duke. This is a great series and I hope it stays.

22. Paducah Patty
    9:51 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Great article!

23. karl marx
    9:52 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Look at the funbags on that hose hound.

24. Lex_Bri
    10:02 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Fantastic read!

25. The Rich White Man
    10:06 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

I agree with all the comments on the mutual respect for UNC. Before last Saturday I hated UNC basically just because they are UK’s biggest competition based on tradition. But Roy Williams and his team are a class act. That being said, I will continue hating on Louisville and Tennessee.

26. Axe Cop
    10:07 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Good read except you can tell dude has his nose up in the air. Also, he is a Cal hater. I was digging the article until the end.

27. CalifCatFan
    10:07 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Great article, but he mentions “whiskey” too much. It’s bourbon, you Tar Heel, bourbon!

28. Greg
    10:12 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Great read. Thanks for sharing!

29. saki7
    10:12 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Wonderful article, and very well-written. This was a nice change from the more negative feedback we usually get. The fans he interacted with represented UK fans well.

30. M richay
    10:19 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Great article. I don’t think he realizes how much cal actually mean to us, I would hate for him to see a Gillespie game

31. JandPsDad
    10:55 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Thanks for the great read.
    It is great that you give us insights from this Heel guy and the guy from UConn too.
    You guys do great work – keep it up!!!

32. WildcatFan
    11:25 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Wonderful article and extremely well written. If he were to meet Cal, in person, just ONE time…his last incorrect perception would also be broken! I hate that the author is a Cal hater, but that’s only b/c he didn’t get the chance to meet him. It’d be nice if Coach would invite this guy back to Lexington for a up close visit with UK basketball.

33. Han
    12:14 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

32) And some Orange Leaf, and Papa Johns.

And if it’s next year, Maybe Joe B’s if the ban is lifted.

34. theSkinny81
    12:38 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

#33 – better than dinner at Porcinis! Dinner there costs like 3 grand!

35. slappy
    2:39 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

False.

36. dontgoanywhere
    3:19 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

#18-my sentiments exactly. I am now sure renovating rupp is the right idea. Rad

37. PUNT PUNT
    8:06 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Shakespeare!!!

38. Nerd
    8:26 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Met several UNC fans Saturday after the game. Got to give them credit. They seemed to be classy in their loss. Good bunch of folks.

39. Nerd
    8:26 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

40. SK_54
    8:28 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Matt, Thanks for the link. It is refreshing to have an outside perspective from someone that was truly going to be as critical as possible. As thankful as I am that he and his friend were treated to such hospitality and what I feel is the norm from the majority of UK fans, I can’t help but think that a loss by the Cats would have brought a much differnt perspective. I consider myself to be a similar fan as those that invited these Tar Heels into their home. With victories in games of this magnitude, I am more gracious and thankful, however, in defeat I admittedly become irrational and become unconsolable for several hours. While a victory gives me a satisfaction and an overall sense of relief, a loss brings out a frustration and anger that is a result of taking it way too personal. Luckily for the fans that are often the butt of many a jokes because of our “passion” for our team, we were able to show the best side of us, which is: We love to win!

41. UKChillfan
    8:30 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Thanks KSR for picking this up. It was a great read and I would have never found it on my own. One of the many reasons I love this site (and the price is right)!

42. Matt in Savannah
    9:41 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Hey, it’s Bridget! Anyway, I was in Jacksonville, FL watching the game, and the bar I was at was filled with both UK and UNC fans. There was definitely some back and forth throughout the game, but in the end, everyone was more impressed with the quality of the game. The UNC fans took it well. Except for the couple of guys in UNC jerseys, whom I asked when they played at UNC. They were not amused.

43. Gap Tooth Danny
    10:09 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

That was a great piece, totally unexpected! that site also had an interesting write-up on A Davis a few weeks ago: http://hoopspeak.com/college/2011/11/hes-got-the-look-anthony-davis-makes-his-debut/

44. fuller
    12:49 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

WHITNEY!!!!!

45. fuller
    12:50 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

WHITNEY!!!

46. Joeboo
    3:17 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

Great article and anyone from Kentucky knows thats just how it is here. Take away Louisville!