Picture it: Athens, Georgia, 2001. A young Jim Harrick Jr. impatiently taps his pen against his pants, waiting for his class of basketball players to finish their final exam. In just a few hours, he’d be in Las Vegas, hitting the blackjack tables and celebrating the end of another brutal semester. He couldn’t understand what was taking the players so long; he’d written the exam to be as easy as possible. Heck, even his neighbor’s seven-year-old was able to ace it…oh well, if all else fails, he’d give them A’s anyways.
Little did Jim Jr. know at the time that the final exam for his “Coaching Principles and Strategies of Basketball” class would be one of the things that ended up getting him fired. In 2004, the NCAA found Harrick Jr. and the Georgia basketball program guilty of academic fraud and improper benefits. Harrick Jr. reportedly gave all of the players–er, students–in his class A’s despite the easy final, and allowed them to miss class and tests at will. In fact, none of the program’s scholarship players even bothered to take the final. As a result, Jim Harrick Jr. was fired.
How easy was that test? Get your #2 pencil and find out for yourself:
1. How many goals are on a basketball court?
2. How many players are allowed to play at one time on any one team in a regulation game?
3. In what league to [sic ] the Georgia Bulldogs compete?
b. Big Ten
d. Pac 10
4. What is the name of the coliseum where the Georgia Bulldogs play?
a. Cameron Indoor Arena
b. Stegeman Coliseum
c. Carrier Dome
d. Pauley Pavilion
5. How many halves are in a college basketball game?
6. How many quarters are in a high school basketball game?
7. How many points does one field goal account for in a Basketball Game?
8. How many points does a three-point field goal account for in a Basketball Game?
9. How many officials referee a college basketball game?
10. How many teams are in the NCAA Men’s Basketball National Championship Tournament?
11. What is the name of the exam which all high school seniors in the State of Georgia must pass?
a. Eye Exam
b. How Do The Grits Taste Exam
c. Bug Control Exam
d. Georgia Exit Exam
12. What basic color are the uniforms the Georgia Bulldogs wear in home games?
13. What basic color are the uniforms the Georgia Bulldogs wear in away games?
14. How many minutes are played in a college basketball contest?
15. How many minutes are played in a high school basketball game?
16. Diagram the three-point line.
17. Diagram the half-court line.
18. How many fouls is a player allowed to have in one Basketball game before fouling out in that game?
19. If you go on to become a huge coaching success, to whom will you tribute [sic ] the credit?
a. Mike Krzyzewski
b. Bobby Knight
c. John Wooden
d. Jim Harrick Jr.
20. In your opinion, who is the best Division I assistant coach in the country?
a. Ron Jursa [sic ]
b. John Pelphrey
c. Jim Harrick Jr.
d. Steve Wojciechowski