A Final Word on Wiggins

wiggins

Time is running out…by tomorrow at 12:15 pm, we will have a decision on Andrew Wiggins. You can find out where he picks by either joining the KSR Live Running Diary or listening on air from 10-1 pm. Both are beautiful options. But as we get into these final hours, it is still clear that really no one knows where Wiggins is going. Information is everywhere, but I am not sure (as one source told me today) “anybody knows anything.” With that said, if he picks each school, this is probably why:

KENTUCKY:

Why He Picks UK: Because it makes the most sense. Andrew Wiggins has said over and over that he cares about winning and getting ready for the NBA. Simply put, there is no better place for both than Kentucky. If Wiggins comes to UK, the Cats are a juggernaut. If he wants to go to the NBA, no place has been better recently than Kentucky. It simply makes the most sense.

Why He Doesnt Pick UK: Only two real reasons explain going elsewhere. First, his family is connected to Florida State and that bond may ultimately send him to Tallahassee. Second, he wants to have the spotlight/not worry about playing with such a loaded team. No other options make sense quite frankly. All indications are that Wiggins loves Calipari and loves UK. If that is true, and we have no reason to think otherwise, then one of the two reasons above would explain a different pick.

FLORIDA STATE:

Why He Picks FSU: Family ties are strong. Both Wiggins’ mother and father played at Florida State and have been Seminole fans since the day he was born. That family connection means saying no to the parents, which is tough. Plus Leonard Hamilton is probably one of the better recruiters in the nation, often able to get kids to ignore reality, reason and his NBA track record to sell the bright lights and smelly city of Tallahassee. Parents and Leonard send Wiggins South.

Why He Doesn’t Pick FSU: He realizes it is Florida State. Wiggins has three of the five greatest programs in basketball history recruiting him…and then he has a football school that masquerades as a regular NCAA Tournament bubble team. As parents, you love what you did, but want better for your children. All three non-FSU options are better for Wiggins.

KANSAS

Why He Picks Kansas: Kansas is probably one player away from being a contender and has had a great decade under Bill Self. While his hairpiece is mock-worthy, his ability to coach and put guys in the league isn’t. He has been successful. It is the best home court atmosphere in America and the Jayhawk Nation is second only to Kentucky in fan passion. Plus, he will be close to his brother, who plays at Wichita State. Picking Kansas isn’t a bad choice…plus their coaches are confident, telling media members that they believe they will be the pick.

Why He Doesnt Pick Kansas: As good an option as Kansas is, it is only second best (or worse) in every category. They will be good with Wiggins…but not as good as Kentucky. They put people in the NBA…but not like UNC or Kentucky. They have great tradition…but not like UNC or Kentucky. They have great fans, but not as good as Kentucky. Plus as an Adidas school, they would seem at a disadvantage for a player that has widely been considered headed down the “Nike” route.

NORTH CAROLINA

Why He Picks North Carolina: His dad is rumored to like UNC second best of the choices. UNC could be a compromise pick between what the parents want and what Andrew wants. Plus, the Heels have a great tradition and need their next huge star, post-Jordan. UNC produces many good NBA players, but probably hasn’t had a “Star” in the league since Vinsanity was running wild. Wiggins slides in and takes Chapel Hill by storm and makes the Heels into a contender.

Why He Doesn’t Pick UNC: Shhhh don’t tell anyone, but Roy Williams hasn’t been the best at preparing kids for the NBA. The last top player to go to Chapel Hill, Harrison Barnes, had somewhat of a disappointing college career and seems to have only found his stride since making the league. And while Roy is a very good coach and has won a lot, the last few years have seen some struggles. Is he the same guy with the same passion as a few years back? Some of his fans wonder, and maybe Andrew wonders too?

I don’t know what he will do…but honestly, there is an explanation for every choice. Enjoy Andrew Wiggins day tomorrow…the silliness is fun and doesn’t happen all that often.

Article written by Matt Jones

60 Comments for A Final Word on Wiggins

1. bigabes4uk
    8:36 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Your reasoning for Kentucky really says it all. It just doesn’t add up to go anywhere else. He has the most to gain by picking UK. It’s so obvious isn’t it?

2. dontthinkso
    8:37 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Espn pisses me off with the whole wiggins thing. What ever team he decides to go to will be a national championship contender. I disagree. The only team that could happen with is kentucky. I know wiggins is good but not a miracle worker. With or without wiggins kentucky wins it all next yr.

3. wondering and dreaming
    8:37 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

any news on Jai Lucas ?

4. BBN
    8:38 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Cal was shown on TV earlier this evening saying that Kentucky is not for everyone. He was literally on no longer than 10 seconds.

5. #4
    8:40 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

#4- go drink gasoline you troll.

6. dontthinkso
    8:43 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

5~ stfu! Stop having sex with ur mother, its making u delusional!

7. UKSupporter76
    8:44 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins wouldn’t turn *any* team into a championship contender, but it takes a special mix of ignorance and arrogance to claim that UK will win it all next year, before the season even starts. Do I like their chances? Yeah. But there are plenty of other quality teams out there that can win. And let’s not act like the best team wins every year. In a single elimination tournament anything can happen. There is a reason they call it March Madness, not March Predictableness.

8. Jen
    8:45 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

If he wants to win big, win a championship, and be prepared for the NBA then UK is the only option. He won’t face UK’s media crush anywhere else. He won’t practice against McDonald’s All-Americans and potential lottery picks coming off the bench anywhere else. He won’t be on a team that is everyone’s Super Bowl anywhere else. Maybe he thinks he’s good enough to elevate FSU to elite status. If so then like with most young people life has a course called Reality 101 ready for him to take.

9. Tennessee Wildcat
    8:45 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I vote for Kentucky but I am biased. Lets hope he makes the best decision for his future, which would be playing with an all star team that will be revered for many years to come as the one and only team since 1976 that will go undefeated.

10. dontthinkso
    8:46 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Sorry #5. There was a post that got deleted. Some clown named g8ator gay or something like that.

11. Ethan
    8:47 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

WHEN IS THE SITE DESIGN COMING OUT AND WILL IT BE ANDREW WIGGINS THEMED

12. Jen
    8:47 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

And what’s this family bond stuff? I can’t imagine letting my mom and dad’s college experiences be the final arbiter if I was making a similar choice. If it is then his parents are doing him a disservice because Leonard Hamilton will never coach an elite basketball team. Period.

13. hum baby
    8:49 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

‘A final word on Wiggins.’ Yeah, right. Final.

14. dontthinkso
    8:52 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

7~ I disagree with ur statement. I like wiggins. I know hes good but im just not sold on all the hype that surrounds him. Comparing him to jordan and company is a HUGE overstatement. The kid hasnt played in college yet. No way he makes Florida State a championship contender. He cant do it all by himself. No way. He comes to kentucky, he dont have to do it all.

15. random a-hole
    8:54 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

He seems like a good kid and we should support him no matter where he chooses to go, unless he chooses UNC or Kansas then I will be EFFING FURIOUS AND WILL HARASS HIM ON TWITTER FOR MONTHS BECAUSE HE IS AN IDIOT!!!!

16. Knows better
    8:55 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I think he goes to Europe to play pro ball. Brandon Jennings got 1.65 million to play for Roma in Italy for one year. Also got 2 million from under armor. The product endorsement would be huge for Wiggins, because it would be for several years. There has been no leaks about what school he is going to, because he is not going to school.

17. Bald Guy
    8:56 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

No matter where AW goes… he is not going to overshadow the twins or Julius. That factor could be what takes his talent elsewhere and if that ends up being the reason we got the better end of the deal.

18. Bald Guy
    8:57 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

In Call We Trust

19. Bald Guy
    8:57 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

In Cal We Trust

20. Rei
    8:58 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Attention seeker.

21. ***BREAKING NEWS***
    8:58 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

WSAZ (NBC), Huntington, Breaking News at 10. Strolling across the screen – Wiggins?

22. UKSupporter76
    9:01 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

#14, I agree that Wiggins wouldn’t make *any* team a contender, which is why I said so the first time. Where we disagree is who *would* be a contender with him. If you think that KU or UNC wouldn’t be in the discussion for a championship with Wiggins, you’re a special mix of ignorant and arrogant. Plenty of other teams would be in the mix with him too. But hanging banners before the season starts is just plain foolish. Plenty of folks were doing that around here this time last year. How’d that work out?

But please tell me more about how you think it’s unfair to judge Wiggins who hasn’t played a single college game yet, but then tell me how you think UK (lead by a bunch of kids who haven’t played a single college game yet) is going to win the Title.

23. paintsville'sdairyqueen
    9:01 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

#16 “Knowsbetter” Can I have some of what ever your smoking.

24. jymbo
    9:02 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

As much as I’d like to say UK, I believe it will be FSU. He wants to be the man and follow in his Dad’s footsteps.
    Iwill just be glad it will be over with, so everyone can just move on. I wish him well , whereever he goes , unless it’s UNC lol.

25. Lenny
    9:03 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Well, well, well. How do you like me now BBN? I told you Andrew was picking FSU. My family lives in Huntington and has taken Andrew under our wing. We are the only people outside Andrew’s family who knew his choice. Where are all of the haters who bashed me the past two months? I told you the new girlfriend at FSU was a big factor.

26. gog8ors
    9:04 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I’ll be glad when this is all over so you guys will admit i was right. You just refuse to believe that i have sources.

27. For Real
    9:06 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Lenny: stfu.

28. Cnyle Wildcat
    9:09 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I hope Kevin “Suck Nuts” reads this, but I’d sure like to know why if he hates UK so much, how come he cannot find anything better to do than to listen to a UK talk show everyday and call in and whine about how he’s tired of hearing about Wiggins. Hey Suck Nuts, I have an Idea for you, turn the freaking station!

29. uk29
    9:10 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Lenny, wiggins girlfriend lives in huntington and will be going to notre dame for basketball. please troll somewhere else

30. HOTSEAT
    9:11 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

#22 you sir are a dumb ass!!!!!

31. Kevin Slap Nutz
    9:12 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

#28, Cnyle – I bring class to KSR.

32. Lennytheliar
    9:16 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Lenny, you are obviously lying about something that no one gives a fug about anyways… Creep

33. Lenny
    9:18 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Andrew DOES have a new girlfriend at FSU. All of my family are diehard Kentucky fans and we want him at UK. So I am not trolling at all.

34. Lenny
    9:22 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

#32: Anyone who tells you something that you don’t want to hear is a liar…

35. Korean tacos
    9:25 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

From my sources, he will pick kentucky. Done deal, loi in hand.

36. dontthinkso
    9:27 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

22~ evidently ur from the backwoods of east kentucky. Wiggins will either go to fsu or uk. By u swinging from wiggins ball sack makes u gay and stupid. I dont think he’s the savior for fsu. Hope he comes to uk but if he dont, I’ll still sleep good. Im not obsessed over wiggins.

37. paintsville'sdairyqueen
    9:30 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Lenny are you catfishin Wiggins? (I like how he calls him Andrew.) PLEASE any who knows “Andrew” knows he goes by A Dub!!

38. Rick Pitino
    9:37 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

He’s coming to Louisville.

39. #35
    9:39 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

35– u for real man??

40. Stoops
    9:43 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Why FSU or UK? I figured he’d want to attend a “basketball school”.

41. UKSupporter76
    9:44 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

@36
    1) No, I’m not from the backwoods of Eastern KY
    2) What are your sources on Wiggins’s decision?
    3) Since we agree about Wiggin’s talent level, does that make you stupid too?
    4) I don’t think he’s the savior for FSU either
    5) I hope he comes to UK too
    6) I’m not losing any sleep or obsessing over him either.
    7) What the hell is your problem?
    8) Apologies to whoever ends up with post #36 after that original piece of work gets deleted.

42. Ky_Tom
    9:48 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I can’t say that I am 100% sure he will pick UK. I can only hope like the rest of BBN. Its been said many times that Andrew doesn’t like the spot light. Well no way in hell can he hide at Florida State. He will be ask to carry the team from day 1, and almost the same at N Carolina and Kansas. If he comes to UK, he plays with the best top 6 players in the country everyday. Where else to better his game, playing against the best in practice, being pushed to his limits making his game better and more ready for the NBA. He has to have seen how Coach Cal has had top round picks in the draft. UK is the best place he prepare himself to follow in that same path to being a 1st overall pick in the 2014 draft…..just my view, and I think Andrew Wiggins and his parents see it that way too…..

43. kentuckyjoe
    9:50 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Good analysis Matt. I would say a main reason that he would pick FSU would be Xavier Rathan-Mayes. Also, he figures that they need him more than any of the other teams. And that would be one reason he might not choose UK; he figures he’s not needed because we’re loaded anyway. But, that being said, I still think he picks UK.

44. wuteva
    9:52 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

#41. What is ur problem? Ur the ones who is stupid. Bet u got a man crush on Andrew Wiggins.

45. Sourcesshmorshez
    9:54 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Dear gog8or troll,
    Simply put, no one believes you because you have ALWAYS been wrong. Randle was coming to Fla. you had sources. Then to Texas. Sources. Finally to Kansas. Lock it up. Sources sited. Before that the twins. Maryland and UA had him. Sources. See why we don’t believe you? Your “sources” have always been wrong. You make nice guesses but are wrong. That is why we don’t believe you. HAD you been right ONCE, maybe. You are literally the boy who cried wolf. Even if you were right this time no one believes it because you have been habitually wrong. Maybe you are right this time but it won’t be because of sources. You finally guessed it right. We won’t say you are right. We will say good guess. We will know, and most importantly you will too, that you just guessed. You will brag but we will all know. IF you are right. Keep it up though hoss…heck you may be a good luck charm. Every time you have bet against us…they put on the blue. Thanks for that. Sources. I literally LoL’d at that.

46. London
    10:09 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Lets put it this way. Florida State is the cavaliers (Wiggins home team) and Kentucky is lets say the Heat. Is he gonna stay at home and fail at winning a championship? Or is he gonna team up and do something special. We’ll see tomorrow but honestly every pick besides FSU is a good choice because all of them would be contenders with him.

47. Seminoles Fan
    10:15 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I won’t say “done deal” but I feel good about our chances tomorrow. If it turns out like I’m being told, UK finishes a close second with UNC and KU at the back of the pack. Reading the comments on KSR, it sounds like most of BBN would rather Wiggins pick us over the other two if he goes somewhere else. I think you get your wish, sort of – consider it a consolation prize. Regardless, Kentucky is still loaded next year and you guys should be favored to win it all.

48. David
    10:22 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I had a dream Wiggins will go to Kansas. I have the second sight.

49. Bart Summar
    10:23 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

If it is not UK, I hope it is FSU. I do not want it to be KU or North Carolina.

50. bigblueclint
    10:25 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

yea I agree with #48 it’s KU not UK! Ahhh Well BBN will survive!!!

51. UKSupporter76
    10:25 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

@47 Thanks for the classy post, ‘Noles Fan. Regardless of where Wiggins goes next season, good luck to you and your Noles.

52. J in Orlando
    10:27 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Its really simple…anyone that says they know where Wiggins is going is making it up…everyone from national recruiting gurus to morons like a couple people in this thread are in the same boat in info on this one.

53. J in Orlando
    10:31 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

47 it may be fsu, but unless the parents or the player directly told you, youre being fed a guess thats no more informed than any other guess anywhere…there are only 3 people that know

54. Walden
    10:55 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Id love him in Kentucky blue, but I don’t think he’s goig to come. I honestly think he has more to loose than to gain here, monitory wise. If he suits up with randle and is out-shined night in and night out he could fall from an automatic #1 pick to a #2. If he goes anywhere else it’ll be assumed he’s the #1 overall regardless of how randle does at Kentucky.

55. Sheeeeiiit
    11:31 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

At least he is not choosing ULOL

56. EdsaysMattJonesisCool
    11:48 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Matt, great analysis. Couldn’t be said better than any of these so called “experts.” You are unbias in your analysis and present great points. Can’t wait to see you dunk in fantasy camp – ED

57. mike
    12:33 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

Anyone else notice he looks just like jodie meeks in a uk jersey

58. Wiggins Watch
    2:41 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

This is a business decision. These young men have professional advisors and they have told him The University of Kentucky is best for him and his brand. There are no other options professionally. At the end of this recruitment it always comes down to a business decision, not emotion, not family ties, a business decision.

59. Go For It
    7:42 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

#55-I only wish you could be in front of Cal. But you are better off acting the pathetic coward and posting the same crap on every blog.

60. Jon
    8:18 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

I have seen a number of Wiggins interviews, and he strikes me as a fine young man. This is no doubt a difficult process for him. I wish him much success wherever he goes. Of course if it’s not UK, I’ll root against his team if they play UK next year.